2008-2009 Vanderbilt Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so if i interviewed there two weeks ago when would it be appropriate to send a LOI if at all?

thanks!

wondering the exact same thing. and do they have a preference for paper vs email?

Members don't see this ad.

Got my WL letter today via US postal mail, I interviewed back in second week of December. Good luck to others!!!:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Information regarding the Second Look weekend. It seems like they pay for everything except for transportation.

Congratulations once again on your acceptance to the 2009 first year class of the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine! We would like to cordially invite you to Vanderbilt's Second Look Weekend scheduled for April 3-5, 2009. This is a very exciting weekend that will allow you to become better acquainted with Vanderbilt's outstanding faculty, students, and programs.
Some of the highlights of the weekend will include:
- Friday (April 3rd) – a dinner reception at 6:00 pm with the student body featuring live Cadaver Ball performances and a student activities fair
- Saturday (April 4th) – a greeting from the Deans, a showcase of Vanderbilt’s medical curriculum, a hands-on experience at CELA, an Organ Recital (and we don’t mean Bach), a backstage look at Vanderbilt’s clinical facilities led by our renowned physicians, and a dinner with faculty at Nashville’s premier Schermerhorn Symphony Center
We are thrilled to provide hotel accommodations at the Loews Vanderbilt Hotel Nashville (2100 West End Avenue). Check-in time is 3:00-6:00 pm Friday, April 3, 2009. Check-out time is noon Sunday, April 5, 2009. You will be assigned randomly two per room. Meals for the entire weekend will be provided by Vanderbilt. You are only responsible for financing your transportation to and from Nashville. If you fly, we will pay for the shuttle from the airport to the hotel.

Information regarding the Second Look weekend. It seems like they pay for everything except for transportation.

Congratulations once again on your acceptance to the 2009 first year class of the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine! We would like to cordially invite you to Vanderbilt's Second Look Weekend scheduled for April 3-5, 2009. This is a very exciting weekend that will allow you to become better acquainted with Vanderbilt's outstanding faculty, students, and programs.
Some of the highlights of the weekend will include:
- Friday (April 3rd) – a dinner reception at 6:00 pm with the student body featuring live Cadaver Ball performances and a student activities fair
- Saturday (April 4th) – a greeting from the Deans, a showcase of Vanderbilt's medical curriculum, a hands-on experience at CELA, an Organ Recital (and we don't mean Bach), a backstage look at Vanderbilt's clinical facilities led by our renowned physicians, and a dinner with faculty at Nashville's premier Schermerhorn Symphony Center
We are thrilled to provide hotel accommodations at the Loews Vanderbilt Hotel Nashville (2100 West End Avenue). Check-in time is 3:00-6:00 pm Friday, April 3, 2009. Check-out time is noon Sunday, April 5, 2009. You will be assigned randomly two per room. Meals for the entire weekend will be provided by Vanderbilt. You are only responsible for financing your transportation to and from Nashville. If you fly, we will pay for the shuttle from the airport to the hotel.

:(/:) Second look is the same weekend I have Cornell's revisit... poop.

still haven't heard a peep yet...does WL news only come in snail mail? argh.

:(/:) Second look is the same weekend I have Cornell's revisit... poop.

I hear you man! It's a popular weekend for Second Look, which is ironic, because revisiting the school is supposed to help us make a decision. Yet with all of the overlap, we may have to decide unofficially where we'd like to go by choosing only one school to revisit. I understand that this is a problem that most would love to be in, but nonetheless it could really influence decisions if money becomes an issue and we all choose to visit the school that is cheapest to fly to...

Let me know when someone who interviewed January 13th or after hears anything... waiting is hard; patience is not my virtue.

Last edited:
I'm lazy so I didn't look through the other 18 pages of this thread, but has anyone been accepted off the waitlist or rejected post-interview yet?

i'm not 100% sure, but I think no one has been rejected post interview and 1-2 people got accepted off the waitlist, but they were only on the waitlist for a week or two. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Let me know when someone who interviewed January 13th or after hears anything... waiting is hard; patience is not my virtue.

I interviewed the same week, different day, and just received a phone call acceptance. I will probably be turning it down though, so hopefully someone gets it who loves Vandy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed the same week, different day, and just received a phone call acceptance. I will probably be turning it down though, so hopefully someone gets it who loves Vandy.

Congrats! I want your spot!!! I loved Vandy

wow that is a 4-5 week turnaround! congrats! i also hope for that phone call...

any interviewees from the week of jan 20?

I interviewed the week of jan 13 and got my acceptance call Friday afternoon. good luck to those waiting!

^^ congrats!

anyone know where the class stands at this point?

did anyone here got accepted but thought their interview was so so or not that great?

did anyone here got accepted but thought their interview was so so or not that great?

Here! It was my first interview and I was nervous, it was super-short cause he had to deal with a patient, and I had all those crazy questions like "what would your friends say are your best qualities and worst flaws" and stuff. He also disagreed with my assessment of what's wrong with the healthcare system, and seemed a bit skeptical when I told him what kind of research I'd like to do.
Result: acceptance. Go figure!

that is sick. looking at your profile it seems vandy is your choice... do you by chance know anything about the current class?

congrats on the scholarship btw

that is sick. looking at your profile it seems vandy is your choice... do you by chance know anything about the current class?

congrats on the scholarship btw

Thanks! I'm still in a bit of shock, not gonna lie.

Not sure about the current class actually. I know that every med school has to present at least as many students as their class will ultimately have as of March 15th. I have no idea how many students Vandy has accepted thus far. I suspect, though, that waitlisters are going to hear some good news starting in mid-March, as people start to pick some of the non-rolling schools over Vandy. Anyways, good luck!!

Thanks! I'm still in a bit of shock, not gonna lie.

Not sure about the current class actually. I know that every med school has to present at least as many students as their class will ultimately have as of March 15th. I have no idea how many students Vandy has accepted thus far. I suspect, though, that waitlisters are going to hear some good news starting in mid-March, as people start to pick some of the non-rolling schools over Vandy. Anyways, good luck!!

I really hope so! I loved Vandy, but sadly- waitlist

i am still awaiting a decision. i interviewed the week of 20th! so perhaps as early as next week but could also be later who knows.... oh please acceptance!

I got my response: waitlisted. I predicted that.

Some questions: Is basically everyone "waitlisted" if they are not accepted post-interview? Has anyone been rejected after their interview? Anyone have any information of Vandy's waitlist system?

I got my response: waitlisted. I predicted that.

Some questions: Is basically everyone "waitlisted" if they are not accepted post-interview? Has anyone been rejected after their interview? Anyone have any information of Vandy's waitlist system?

I think that post interview everyone gets either accepted or waitlisted. That don't reject anyone post interview. Unfortunately, I don't have any info about the waitlist

chillpillman - when did you interview

So, the decisions from Vanderbilt seem to be creeping up on my interview date... What to do to not stress out??? Vandy is a top choice.

Does anyone know how full the class is? Or how the waitlist will work? (Yes I am preparing for the worst, but still hoping for the best!)

Does anyone know how full the class is? Or how the waitlist will work? (Yes I am preparing for the worst, but still hoping for the best!)

I have no idea how full the class is but the "waitlist" isn't exactly the same as "waitlists" at other schools... it's really a "continue to be reviewed". At Vanderbilt, they actually reconsider your file at subsequent meetings, which means that you are reviewed a number of times before May even rolls around. In fact, a fair number of people have been taken off of the "waitlist" as soon as a few weeks after the initial "waitlist" designation.

guest doc i interviewed the week of the 20th how about you?

with so many non rolling schools breaking out those acceptances, it will be inevitable some will turn down vandy

my date is rolling around as well o_O"!!

so is it unanimous that vandy is doling out information 6 weeks after?

Hmm. Does anyone know when Vandy's last round of decisions will be? I was a bit surprised at the second look date: I assumed they'd still be deciding on some people through mid-April or so... no?

^^ you already received a decision?

I've pretty much given up hope on vandy seeing all of the incredibly qualified people from this board on the waitlist like myself, BUT, i sent a letter of intent this morning. Who knows, maybe they will see it my way.....:D

i bid you good luck.... i am waiting for a decision. could be this week.

if anybody interviewed week of the 20th and hears anything let me know!

i bid you good luck.... i am waiting for a decision. could be this week.

if anybody interviewed week of the 20th and hears anything let me know!

Best of luck to all of you still waiting. Really hope you hear great news so we can all meet up for Second Look!

and plz pm me also if you hear news from 1/20 interview or later!! thanks!!

also waiting... so close!!! :scared:

good luck to everyone

still no news on my front either snail mail or phone.

anybody else?

still no news on my front either snail mail or phone.

anybody else?

Yeah I interviewed the week of the 20th too and haven't heard anything yet either.

ahh still nothing for anyone?

ahh still nothing for anyone?

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like other people have gotten calls from Dr.Zic only on Friday evening through Sunday...so at least you don't have to be antsy during the weekdays :)

ahh you make a strong point.... man i am stalking this thread

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like other people have gotten calls from Dr.Zic only on Friday evening through Sunday...so at least you don't have to be antsy during the weekdays :)

Really? Maybe it was just the 10/15 phone calls then, but that was on a Wednesday night. Either way... good luck jimcan!

These people are sure taking their time. And it's driving me nuts.

At least my nerves should be calmed while boozing this week on spring break.

I am really antsy but to be fair, it has been 6 weeks... they say up to 8

Status
Not open for further replies.