2008-2009 Vanderbilt Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
=)
Problem solved. yay!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I know it's probably WAY too early to ask this, but since they now review waitlisted apps at subsequent meetings, has anyone gotten accepted off the waitlist so far?

I know it's probably WAY too early to ask this, but since they now review waitlisted apps at subsequent meetings, has anyone gotten accepted off the waitlist so far?

If you go a few pages back in the thread, I believe some ppl have been. Not me, though :(

So UCLA, UCSD, UMich and WashU acceptances are not enough for you:laugh:

Haha, that's not what I meant.

I just meant that I think some ppl did get off the waitlist. Just not me.

Perhaps I should've omitted the sad face.

neone here interviewed with Dr. Patrick Burnett?

i did, all standard questions, really really easy to talk to. i got the WL shaft tho, although not that suprisingly

Does anyone know if Vanderbilt gives students time off at the end of MS2 to study for the boards? If so, how long? Thanks!

Hey guys, question. What's the main admission email address? I don't want to write a letter to the director of admission for a basic administrative question. Thanks!

Hey guys, question. What's the main admission email address? I don't want to write a letter to the director of admission for a basic administrative question. Thanks!

Even though you said you didn't particularly want to, I would email Dr. Sagen. I have emailed her a couple of times and when necessary she directed me to the correct person (or a received a reply from someone else).

Even though you said you didn't particularly want to, I would email Dr. Sagen. I have emailed her a couple of times and when necessary she directed me to the correct person (or a received a reply from someone else).

Haha alright, will do. I guess one of the perks of having gotten in already is that I dont have to be afraid of bugging the director of admission anymore :D

Members don't see this ad :)
they recently changed my interviewer to Schaefer, Heidi Maree, has anyone had her before? thanks!

just to relay: i talked to financial aid today about scholarships. the woman said that if you don't hear "soon" after your invitation to join the class about getting merit money, chances are slim that you'll be getting any... :(

just to relay: i talked to financial aid today about scholarships. the woman said that if you don't hear "soon" after your invitation to join the class about getting merit money, chances are slim that you'll be getting any... :(

Are there still grants as part of financial aid for those who don't receive merit aid?

Are there still grants as part of financial aid for those who don't receive merit aid?
Definately.

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Vanderbilt Medical School (VMS) Scholarships .[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]are institutional need-based scholarships. For a listing of the more than 50 scholarships, click The Catalog . All students applying for institutional funds will be considered for scholarship assistance. Parental information must be included on the FAFSA in order to be considered. Failure to do so will make you ineligible. Scholarships will be used to minimize indebtedness for as many students as possible. The amount of the award is dependent upon the level of need and the availability of funds. 25% of our students qualify for scholarships ranging from $1,000 to $26,000. .

From the fin aid website.

How are the interviews? Easy-going? Stressful?

Last edited:
Definately.

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Vanderbilt Medical School (VMS) Scholarships .[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]are institutional need-based scholarships. For a listing of the more than 50 scholarships, click The Catalog . All students applying for institutional funds will be considered for scholarship assistance. Parental information must be included on the FAFSA in order to be considered. Failure to do so will make you ineligible. Scholarships will be used to minimize indebtedness for as many students as possible. The amount of the award is dependent upon the level of need and the availability of funds. 25% of our students qualify for scholarships ranging from $1,000 to $26,000. .
From the fin aid website.

Sounds good, thanks!

Hey, I got my scholarship offer nearly 2 months after my acceptance call, so I guess "soon" varies :) don't worry.

It took maybe a week or so after my acceptance call to hear about my scholarship...so who knows haha. It probably depends on which committee is awarding your scholarship.

It took maybe a week or so after my acceptance call to hear about my scholarship...so who knows haha. It probably depends on which committee is awarding your scholarship.

Well I really think it mostly depends on when you were accepted. I was accepted on 10/15 and I don't think they even started convening about scholarships until December, so while it technically took 2 months for me to get the call, I got it around the same time as everyone else....it makes sense, it would have been rather silly (and unfair) of them to start discussing scholarships in mid-October when they'd only accepted a rather limited number of people.

Hello! I was accepted to Vandy a while ago but I've also been fortunate enough to have been accepted to my state school (UMass).
Vandy is one of my top choices and I loved my interview and the time I got to spend in Nashville but lately it's been hard for me to justify paying 3x as much for tuition as compaired to UMass.

Recently, I've put together an update of some of my recent activities that I've been involved in (mostly leadership, volunteering, shadowing type stuff) and have been sending it out to some of the schools that have not made decisions about me yet.

My questions is: Do you guys think that it would be appropriate for me to send this update to Vandy in hopes of maybe increasing my chaces of getting some sort of scolarship? Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Thank you and good luck to anyone who's still waiting on this amazing school to get back to them!

I interviewed at Vandy a while ago and I can't remember whether they said to send updates or not. Anyone know if I should send my fall grades/updates?

Hello! I was accepted to Vandy a while ago but I've also been fortunate enough to have been accepted to my state school (UMass).
Vandy is one of my top choices and I loved my interview and the time I got to spend in Nashville but lately it's been hard for me to justify paying 3x as much for tuition as compaired to UMass.

Recently, I've put together an update of some of my recent activities that I've been involved in (mostly leadership, volunteering, shadowing type stuff) and have been sending it out to some of the schools that have not made decisions about me yet.

My questions is: Do you guys think that it would be appropriate for me to send this update to Vandy in hopes of maybe increasing my chaces of getting some sort of scolarship? Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Thank you and good luck to anyone who's still waiting on this amazing school to get back to them!

I say you should do it, but I have no idea if Vandy has merit scholarships or not. I seem to recall lots of griping about the price tag at Vandy last year, but they clearly have no difficulty filling the class.

Regardless, the letter can't hurt. I would express interest in grants and scholarships, and ask if there is any process you need to be aware of, applications, etc.

I got my scholarship phone call just today and I received my acceptance back in November. So there are still chances out there for you all! Good luck!

i have an interview this friday with Dr. Wonder Puryear Drake. is anyone familiar with her??

I interviewed at Vandy a while ago and I can't remember whether they said to send updates or not. Anyone know if I should send my fall grades/updates?
I contacted Dr. Sagen, and she said to send updates of any awards/honors for scholarship purposes.

Anybody in of the waitlist yet? Or heard of anyone that is in of the waitlist this year?

Edit:
Looking back at the past couple of "official waitlist 200_" threads, I don't see a SINGLE Vandy entry. Sheesh, so has anybody EVER hear of anyone EVER getting in off a Vanderbilt waitlist?

I suppose I understand, wonder what the initial acceptance/matriculation ratio is, I bet its high.

i think there was one person that got the initial deferral letter but then got in like 2-3 weeks later...but that was back in november i think.

I got my scholarship phone call just today and I received my acceptance back in November. So there are still chances out there for you all! Good luck!

Congratulations!

This means that I'll still be desperately holding on to any last shreds of hope there are that I'll get some special lovin from Vandy...

Does anyone know if Vanderbilt gives students time off at the end of MS2 to study for the boards? If so, how long? Thanks!

We get roughly 2 1/2 months. Plenty of time.

they recently changed my interviewer to Schaefer, Heidi Maree, has anyone had her before? thanks!

Not sure if you've interviewed already, but she's really nice. Department of Nephrology.

i just interviewed at vandy today and ABSOLUTELY LOVEDDDDDDDD IT!! i read this thread and other student feedback sites before and didn't really understand why everyone loved it so much but now that i've experienced vandy firsthand, i have a true appreciation for the school, the faculty/staff, and the students

but am i at a huge disadvantage for interviewing soo late?? im also from a state school and i got the impression that the majority of students who matriculate come from top tier private schools....does that also put me at a disadvantage??

mann i really wish i could go to vandyy =\

i just interviewed at vandy today and ABSOLUTELY LOVEDDDDDDDD IT!! i read this thread and other student feedback sites before and didn't really understand why everyone loved it so much but now that i've experienced vandy firsthand, i have a true appreciation for the school, the faculty/staff, and the students

but am i at a huge disadvantage for interviewing soo late?? im also from a state school and i got the impression that the majority of students who matriculate come from top tier private schools....does that also put me at a disadvantage??

mann i really wish i could go to vandyy =\

I felt the same way about Vanderbilt when I interviewed, they really know how to make you feel welcomed! As for the whole state school issue, I am from one myself, and know of several others who have been accepted way earlier and even more recently that were from state schools. Don't let the the paper posted outside of the admissions office get you down. If you've represented yourself well, you should be just as qualified as anyone else! The very same thing could be said about a late interview too, but I don't have any data to support this claim, so perhaps someone else can answer this... Best wishes!

Should we mail or email LOIs?

I asked Judy a couple days ago how to send LOIs and she said either email or an attachment was okay.

"You may send either way, we accept it either way, I would address it to Dr. John Zic and send it to [email protected]."

Hey Guys,

It's been 5 weeks since I interviewed at Vandy. They told me I should expect to hear back within 6 weeks. Did everyone who was accepted/rejected find out exactly in 6 weeks? If not, how much +/-?

Hey Guys,

It's been 5 weeks since I interviewed at Vandy. They told me I should expect to hear back within 6 weeks. Did everyone who was accepted/rejected find out exactly in 6 weeks? If not, how much +/-?
Mine was 5 and a bit, but I was waitlisted.

I asked Judy a couple days ago how to send LOIs and she said either email or an attachment was okay.

"You may send either way, we accept it either way, I would address it to Dr. John Zic and send it to [email protected]."

Thank you. :)

at my interview they told us to expect news 6-9 weeks.....god i hope it doesnt take 9 weeks =\

ya really. i interviewed there on 1/9. it hasn't even been 3 weeks yet but it feels like forever. maybe because i'm still waiting on all the rest of my decisions...mcw will come before minnesota i bet even tho i interviewed 3 months apart hah.

I have a Vandy interview on the last day they are offered (Feb 13) - I teach abroad, and unfortunately couldn't arrange to come earlier than that date. Do you this puts me at a huge disadvantage? When you guys interviewed, did they say anything about how they fill the class throughout the interview season?

What's the consensus (if there is one) on whether people who are accepted To Vandy (vs. those who are waitlisted or rejected) tend to hear sooner vs. later after their interview date?

Is it a good sign if it's taking kind of long? Is "no news good news"?

What's the consensus (if there is one) on whether people who are accepted To Vandy (vs. those who are waitlisted or rejected) tend to hear sooner vs. later after their interview date?

Is it a good sign if it's taking kind of long? Is "no news good news"?

i think it took them a little over 6 weeks to waitlist me

how much waitlist movement has there been the last couple of years? will there be less waitlist movement since they started rereviewing waitlisted apps monthly?

Hey Guys!

Just got the call from the Dean! I am in! I interviewed the 3rd week of December so anyone who interviewed around there should be hearing soon.

Good luck to everyone! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::D

Hey Guys!

Just got the call from the Dean! I am in! I interviewed the 3rd week of December so anyone who interviewed around there should be hearing soon.

Good luck to everyone! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::D

Congratulations! The phone call gives you a nice feeling huh? You should join our class thread, LET is dying because the activity on there has gone down so much... :laugh:

Le sigh. I interviewed in the third week of December. No phone call.

so if i interviewed there two weeks ago when would it be appropriate to send a LOI if at all?

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.