2008-2009 Vanderbilt Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very true. Plus they're probably reviewing us with the big pile since all the interviews are done now. Crap, I hate waiting.

Then again I took my time doing their application, so I guess this is karma.

Members don't see this ad.

And also they might be waiting for the non-rolling schools to send out their march decisions and seeing who withdraws.

actually that is a good point. i know columbia released this week... what else?

i feel as if i am competing for like 3 spots

Members don't see this ad :)
Duke comes out next week... i feel like there would be some pretty significant overlap there

At the same time I feel like most people won't withdraw after getting acceptances. That'll come after second looks and aid packages etc.

I know surfing in the Vandy class of 2013 thread that someone got the call on 3-6-9...so does not look so good for us week of Jan 19th people :(

I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!

interesting situation though. i received the second look invite this morning which begins with: congratulations on your acceptance. I was thinking what a mean joke.

called Dr. Sagen and she said Dr. Zic is out of town so he may have just missed you. then she proceeded with.... Congratulations!

congrats jimCAN! seems like you really wanted this one!

I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!

interesting situation though. i received the second look invite this morning which begins with: congratulations on your acceptance. I was thinking what a mean joke.

called Dr. Sagen and she said Dr. Zic is out of town so he may have just missed you. then she proceeded with.... Congratulations!

Aw yay congratulations!!! I'm so glad!! Come party with us in the class of 2013 thread :D

I had gotten the WL letter two weeks ago and then got the call today! Yay!! :)

Got in after WL two weeks earlier! So pumped!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys send in LOIs or anything?
Nah, I didn't even send an update. I think it does help your standing when you are deferred to send a LOI/update/etc..

Last edited:
Point of curiosity, has anyone heard back from Vandy who has interviewed the last week of January? much appreciated

Will Vanderbilt let you know where you are on the wait list if you ask them?

Will Vanderbilt let you know where you are on the wait list if you ask them?

Most schools won't tell you where you are, right? I'd like to know, though. I just got a letter from Vanderbilt and I'm on the waitlist... I'm really hoping for some WL movement on this one. :(

Vandy doesnt have a ranked waitlist or a least they dont tell the applicants their ranks. All applicants that are interviewed are either accepted or put under continuious consideration. Nobody is reject perse. Some schools do have ranked waitlists and will tell you the number though.

Does anyone know anything about the timeline for the MD/PhD decisions? It has been awhile since my interview, and I haven't heard squat (e.g. no wait list notification...just dead silence!).

not to get hopes up about any movement with the bump...! I was just sad to see Vanderbilt on the third page back!

It seems like a lot of big schools have let out their acceptances in the last little bit. When oh when will this translate into some WL movement?

:luck::luck::luck::luck:

not to get hopes up about any movement with the bump...! I was just sad to see Vanderbilt on the third page back!

It seems like a lot of big schools have let out their acceptances in the last little bit. When oh when will this translate into some WL movement?

:luck::luck::luck::luck:

I'm guessing no earlier than late April, since people are probably waiting for their financial aid and second looks are happening in april. I hope that there's enough waitlist movement to get me in!

I'm guessing no earlier than late April, since people are probably waiting for their financial aid and second looks are happening in april. I hope that there's enough waitlist movement to get me in!

same here! does anyone know when Vanderbilt comes out with an official waitlist and if it is ranked?

Vanderbilt does not use a waitlist ranking system (I called and checked) ... which I find cruel. They say its because everyone is considered every time there is an opening, but I must assume that the committee really has already rejected at least some post-interview people in their minds but don't have the guts to let people know. Only thing we can do is wait. Yes, the financial aid packages is what will sway people, but I think it will take some deliberating once people get all of their packages... so many will need the month between receiving them and the May 15th deadline. And then once those spots shift down, you would have to imagine many will have already settled into their school choice before getting off the waitlist (which might include me). So I see the process ending (for the most part) only about the end of May... a year from when I started this application journey. Best of luck to those who still wish to enjoy 4 years at Vandy. May you find your spot in good time!

I have a great 1-bedroom condo for sale thats ideal for a med student!

Its a ten-minute walk to classes and the hospital, even closer to restaurants and bars, in a neighborhood thats popular with students. Cute complex with nice, quiet neighbors - a good mix of students and professionals. Hardwood floors, new appliances, recently renovated bathroom and kitchen, freshly painted. Off-street parking. Large walk-in closet.

I have loved living here and will miss it next year. But alas, I am moving away from Nashville for residency.

If you want me to send you photos or you want to see it get in touch with me.

I also have the names of a couple real estate agents if you are interested who come highly recommended.

Enjoy second look weekend!!!

hey, is vandy generous with institutional finaid? hopefully not in the form of loans.

Thanks

Vanderbilt does not use a waitlist ranking system (I called and checked) ... which I find cruel. They say its because everyone is considered every time there is an opening, but I must assume that the committee really has already rejected at least some post-interview people in their minds but don't have the guts to let people know. Only thing we can do is wait. Yes, the financial aid packages is what will sway people, but I think it will take some deliberating once people get all of their packages... so many will need the month between receiving them and the May 15th deadline. And then once those spots shift down, you would have to imagine many will have already settled into their school choice before getting off the waitlist (which might include me). So I see the process ending (for the most part) only about the end of May... a year from when I started this application journey. Best of luck to those who still wish to enjoy 4 years at Vandy. May you find your spot in good time!

Yeah, I don't believe they would go through the hundreds of files whenever a spot opens up.
I wish they would let us know where we stand.

I was just looking at the US news stats - 927 interviewed, 282 were accepted, 105 enrolled - and it seems like a fair share of people turn down Vanderbilt.
Do you think they've already accepted those 282 people already and waiting for people to drop out, or do you think it's the case where they've only accepted maybe a little over 105 and will accept a whole bunch more come May?

Maybe Vanderbilt waitlist works like one of the posters suggested in the other thread.
Like accepting a non-traditional student if one non-traditional student drops out and so on.
Which would mean that there's basically nothing we can do, except maybe send another letter to show interest/intent and hope that accepted applicants similar to ourselves would turn down the offer.

I don't know, I've sort of given up on Vanderbilt.

I don't know much but I would think that so far they have accepted at least 200 people. That's just a guess from the facts that it seems like very few people are offered admission after May 15 and they plan that many people to go elsewhere. I would love to get off the WL, but I am not putting much hope on it at all.

Not sure how many people they accepted exactly, but I know that there were ~160 people at Second Look, so you guys can do the math, estimating how many people didn't come (Vandy paid for hotel and food, but not air travel, so I'm guessing not everyone showed up). Of course, you can argue that a lot of those who didn't show up are ones who were at other second looks or aren't considering Vandy at all pre-financial aid...anyway, who the hell knows.

While interviewing I was told by my interviewer that Vanderbilt accepts certain students to "create a class." He gave me the impression that Vanderbilt takes "one of each" student to create the class. I understood this to mean that our chances of acceptance from the hold/waitlist depend on students from our undergraduate institutions, race/ethnicity, etc. withdrawing. No matter how many people withdraw, if the people that are our "type" hold their spots we aren't getting in.

Hopefully kids from my school withdraw:xf:

While interviewing I was told by my interviewer that Vanderbilt accepts certain students to "create a class." He gave me the impression that Vanderbilt takes "one of each" student to create the class. I understood this to mean that our chances of acceptance from the hold/waitlist depend on students from our undergraduate institutions, race/ethnicity, etc. withdrawing. No matter how many people withdraw, if the people that are our "type" hold their spots we aren't getting in.

I go to a school with too many premeds

I totally buy this, and I think it's how most schools do things.

Things like gender, ethnicity, state of origin etc matters at this point. I have a guy friend who was waitlisted at Tufts Med last year, and our pre-med adviser told him to give up and reapply cause all the people who were withdrawing were women for some reason, so they were only accepting the women from the waitlist. Go figure. Yet another thing that's not in our control.

Thanks! that is good to know. I really hope someone just like me decides to go somewhere else then. I really want to go to Vandy. I think if i don't get in off the waitlist this year, i will reapply next year.

I just withdrew from the waitlist. Good luck to everyone else!!

I talked with Dean Sagen and she said Vandy normally has around two dozen students who are accepted off the waitlist.

I talked with Dean Sagen and she said Vandy normally has around two dozen students who are accepted off the waitlist.

2 Dozen!?!? That's it!?
Anyone know about how many total students are accepted each year to fill the class?

2 Dozen!?!? That's it!?
Anyone know about how many total students are accepted each year to fill the class?

I think the class size is right around 100. Maybe 105 or so.

thk2c, Did you schedule an appt. to talk with Dr. Sagen, or just call up? I have emailed her in the past, but wasn't sure if she preferred email over phone.

thk2c, Did you schedule an appt. to talk with Dr. Sagen, or just call up? I have emailed her in the past, but wasn't sure if she preferred email over phone.

I emailed her. She was very prompt in responding. I don't know if she prefers email over phone or not.

Maybe my question wasn't too clear. Does anyone know how many acceptances they give out to fill their class? (Usually schools end up giving out at least two times more acceptances than the number of seats in the class because many students end up going somewhere else).

For my class, we were told that they accepted 180 students before second look. Our class began as 104, and we had 5 people that I know of off the waitlist. The class of 2013 will have 110 students last I heard. I would not be surprised about the selection of people to make a "class," as ours seems to reflect that kind of selection.

For my class, we were told that they accepted 180 students before second look. Our class began as 104, and we had 5 people that I know of off the waitlist. The class of 2013 will have 110 students last I heard. I would not be surprised about the selection of people to make a "class," as ours seems to reflect that kind of selection.

Wow, only 5!?!?! I hope this year's class has more. Thanks for the info bretticus!

Wellll, according to the 2008 data:

5032 applied, 906 interviewed, 290 were accepted, 105 enrolled

:luck:!

Huh, that's sort of interesting. If USNews data is to be believed, and what they told you guys at second look is true, in your class 110 people were accepted post-second look, and since interviews have been over for a while, you'd think most of those people would have been accepted off the waitlist.

:confused::confused::confused:

Has Vanderbilt concluded interviews and given decisions to everyone so far? Because if so, then if we take last year's acceptance estimates to be somewhat similar to this year's (~290), and 180 people were accepted before second look, and only about 24 people came off the waitlist for the final class of 2012, then that leaves over 100 people offered straight acceptances really late in the cycle. Hmm...

Edit: Looks like LET had the same thought.

Anyhow, my interview at Vanderbilt went terribly (my first one, so I was a bit underprepared), so I'm not expecting anything.

A few things. First, that's 2008 data, and my year was 2007, so they may have done things differently last year. Second, there's also the possibility they accepted someone off the waitlist, but they still decided not to attend (though that's a lot of people). Third, this info came from people in my class (though it was multiple people, in my defense), not directly from the horse's mouth. I have no affiliation with the adcom.

I do know that interviews are over and have been for awhile. As far as I know, everyone gets a decision before second look.

Any hold/waitlist movement? The closer the 15th of May gets, the more anxious I become. Good luck to everyone waiting

I wish all of you the best in the coming weeks with getting off the waitlists! Would love for y'all to join us this autumn!

Thought I'd bump this thread...any news from Vandy waitlisters today? I am on pins and needles!

Status
Not open for further replies.