2008-2009 Vanderbilt Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh boy. I'm not even going to start this one without finishing Duke first. Write an autobiography?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh boy. I'm not even going to start this one without finishing Duke first. Write an autobiography?

That sounds positively easy compared to Duke's 6-questions-disguised-as-5 monster.

That sounds positively easy compared to Duke's 6-questions-disguised-as-5 monster.
Agreed, still too much to take as a 1-2 combo though. Also there are other essays (although they're pretty cliche, so I'll probably just copy/paste my other secondary essays):

Write a brief autobiography. As completely and precisely as possible, give a picture of yourself, your family, and events you consider important in you. In doing so, identify the values that are of greatest importance to you. If you have completed your undergraduate education, please comment on what you have done or have been doing since graduation. You may either upload a file from your computer or type your statement in the space provided. (1200 word limit)

The learning environment of the medical school is enhanced by the inclusion of students with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences prior to medical school. What in your background or your experiences will uniquely contribute to this learning environment? (500 word limit)

Please discuss a challenging situation that you faced in the past. Why was it challenging? How did you handle it? Knowing what you know now, would you do anything differently? What did you learn? (500 word limit)

Dang, how do you write an autobiography without mentioning what's unique about yourself. Those other two essays do bring it a little closer to Duke status though

Dang, how do you write an autobiography without mentioning what's unique about yourself. Those other two essays do bring it a little closer to Duke status though
By writing about all the crap they tell you to write in the rest of the prompt.

I work next door to the admissions committee. Can I put in a good word for any of you?

:D

If someone wants to take my MCAT for me that would be great, or a couple grand would work. Plus my PI is on the committee...I can hook you guys up.

haha

Legend
II:
Interview Invite
SS: Secondary Sent
C: Complete
I: Interview

Shemarty: II:?, SS:?, C:?, I:?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Yo, bro. How'd you get an interview w/o an MCAT score?

Legend
II: Interview InviteSS: Secondary Sent

How do you know you're getting an interview ;)

Just playin hehe. I'm sure you will after all the work you've done on SDN :thumbup:

How do you know you're getting an interview ;)

Just playin hehe. I'm sure you will after all the work you've done on SDN :thumbup:

Haha, I should've used serikk85's name instead

I want an interview invite! But congrats to everyone that has one already!!!

I wonder what the cut-off date was for the first batch :confused:

Wow what a pain in the ass secondary...

At least they waived the app fee for MSTP students :).

Legend
II: Interview Invite

serikk85: II:8/4, SS:?, C:?, I:?

Legend

Mishka17: II:8/4, SS:?, C:?, I:?

Legend
II:
Interview Invite

drangocar: II: 8/4, SS:?, C:?, I:?

My letter came in the mail and was dated 8/4, got it on 8/5.

what is everyone doing for the autobiography?? What kinds of events/experiences are you including? I like mine a lot, but its only at 800 words. . . Is that too few?

Gahh Vanderbilt....

Yeah I don't have a clue what I'm going to write in my autobiography...

Legend
II:
Interview Invite

slipstream99: II: 8/4, SS:?, C:?, I:?

Legend
II:
Interview Invite

linguini: II: 8/4, SS:?, C:?, I:?

I'm excited about the interview invitation but realizing how much money will be coming out of my pocket just to get there....ick.

Has anyone successfully submitted the secondary? I tried but the page would always refresh. I got them to pay for it via calling them, but for some reason they cant help me to open up the interview scheduler page??? Anyone has the same problem? Maybe I can fix it without calling them for the umpteenth time.

Rachettes85II:8/8, SS:8/7?, C:8/6, I:?

Legend
II:
Interview Invite

rowerlauren: II: 8/4, SS:?, C:?, I:?
Rachettes85: II:8/8, SS:8/7?, C:8/6, I:?

Is anyone else really enjoying writing the autobiography? It's been fun picking out the events in my life that I think are the most interesting and that I like to share with other people. Who doesn't like talking about themselves, right? Haha. :)

LET, was this your first invite too??! GL, maybe I'll see you in nashville.

I'm out of town and i called my roomate asking about the mail (he's lazy and never checks..."oh i dunno man here i'll go check.....uhh you got some letter from vanderbilt".....me: "good god man, open that junk!!!!"....."uhh ok uhhh it says something about a secondary and, " Me: EUQIPWUIEOP!!$%^@%hwohwhwhooooooohooooooooooooyeeehaaaawww:scared:

Legend

Rachettes85: II:8/8, SS:8/7?, C:8/6, I:?
Scean: II: 8/6, SS:?, C?, I:?

Legend

Rachettes85: II:8/8, SS:8/7, C:8/6, I:?
Scean: II: 8/6, SS:?, C?, I:?
Shemarty: II: 8/4, SS:?, C?, I:?

It was dated 8/4 but I received it 8/8. I'll just go with the date it was sent.

LET, was this your first invite too??! GL, maybe I'll see you in nashville.

I'm out of town and i called my roomate asking about the mail (he's lazy and never checks..."oh i dunno man here i'll go check.....uhh you got some letter from vanderbilt".....me: "good god man, open that junk!!!!"....."uhh ok uhhh it says something about a secondary and, " Me: EUQIPWUIEOP!!$%^@%hwohwhwhooooooohooooooooooooyeeehaaaawww:scared:

Haha yup, first interview. I went outside in my pj's and slippers to get the mail while my neighbors where in the backyard. I took the mail out of the mailbox and the Vandy letter fell to the floor. I picked it up, ripped it open, got as far as "Congratulations" and started jumping up and down. My neighbors may or may not think I'm nuts, but ah well.
Yeah, let's see if we can schedule it on the same day! Eeeeexcitinggggg

I just wanted to say hi i finnally decided to register with SDN, but I have been reading all your stuff for weeks and found it really helpful. Thanks!

anyone else not heard anything at all from vandy yet?

I'm going crazy waiting! I've been out of town so I haven't been able to check my mail =(! When did you guys that have interviews get your AMCAS verified? Mine wasn't verified till the end of July 8th. I want to interview at Vandy so badly. Congratz to you all.

I'm going crazy waiting! I've been out of town so I haven't been able to check my mail =(! When did you guys that have interviews get your AMCAS verified? Mine wasn't verified till the end of July 8th. I want to interview at Vandy so badly. Congratz to you all.

Yeah haha.. I was verified June 14th or something like that.. I don't know how they're going through the apps.

Has anyone scheduled their interview yet? I'm in the process of doing it right now, and it looks like I can pick a date as early as Aug. 15. That seems so soon!

Has anyone scheduled their interview yet? I'm in the process of doing it right now, and it looks like I can pick a date as early as Aug. 15. That seems so soon!

From the Vandy office:
Our interview season begins August 12, 2008 and goes thru February 2009. We interview Mon, Tues, Thurs, and Friday. The interview day starts at 11:00 AM and goes until 4:00 PM unless you choose a morning interview at 8,9,10 AM. thus your day would start earlier.

I'm going to try to do Sept 2nd so that I can make one trip out of Vandy and Michigan (Sept 5th) :) Yay for saving on airfare!

Legend

Rachettes85: II:8/8, SS:8/7, C:8/6, I:?