2021-2022 Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @medicallyblonde1010 for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 Vanderbilt Secondary Essay Prompts:

We understand the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in a particularly stressful time for many applicants. To allow applicants more time for reflection when completing our secondary application, we are publishing our secondary application essay prompts in advance. Please note that the MSTP and MIDP programs may have additional essay prompts for you to respond to.

1. Please reflect on the upbringing, background, and experiences in your life that have shaped who you are as a person and will help define the person you want to be in the future. In other words, what makes you who you are? (800 words)

2. Tell us about a time when you interacted with someone who is different than you. What did you learn? What would you do differently? (600 words)

3. Everyone needs help at various times in their lives. Describe a time you asked for help and what you gained from that experience that has influenced your approach to asking for help. (600 words)

4. Optional: If you have completed your undergraduate education, please comment on what you have done or have been doing since graduation.
(200 words)

5. Optional: If applicable, please describe how the COVID-19 outbreak affected your pathway to medical school. You may discuss any academic, personal, financial, or professional alterations to your plans. NOTE: Disclosing certain hardships or obstacles that have been faced during this time will not negatively affect an application. (200 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For everyone considering applying, here's last cycle's secondary questions: (Moderator's note: 2021-2022 questions are different)
  • If applicable, please describe how the COVID-19 outbreak affected your pathway to medical school. You may discuss any academic, personal, financial, or professional alterations to your plans. NOTE: Disclosing certain hardships or obstacles that have been faced during this time will not negatively affect an application. (500 words).
  • Write a brief autobiography. As completely and precisely as possible, give a picture of yourself, your family, and events you consider important to you. In doing so, identify the values that are of greatest importance to you. If you have completed your undergraduate education, please comment on what you have done or have been doing since graduation. (1200 words).
  • Please discuss a challenging situation or obstacle you have faced in the past. Why was it challenging? How did you handle it? Knowing what you know now, would you do anything differently? What did you learn? (500 words).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Vanderbilt has released their prompts early for this cycle.

We understand the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in a particularly stressful time for many applicants. To allow applicants more time for reflection when completing our secondary application, we are publishing our secondary application essay prompts in advance. Please note that the MSTP and MIDP programs may have additional essay prompts for you to respond to.

• Please reflect on the upbringing, background, and experiences in your life that have shaped who you are as a person and will help define the person you want to be in the future. In other words, what makes you who you are? (800 words)
  • Tell us about a time when you interacted with someone who is different than you. What did you learn? What would you do differently? (600 words)
  • Everyone needs help at various times in their lives. Describe a time you asked for help and what you gained from that experience that has influenced your approach to asking for help. (600 words)
  • Optional: If you have completed your undergraduate education, please comment on what you have done or have been doing since graduation. (200 words)
  • Optional: If applicable, please describe how the COVID-19 outbreak affected your pathway to medical school. You may discuss any academic, personal, financial, or professional alterations to your plans. NOTE: Disclosing certain hardships or obstacles that have been faced during this time will not negatively affect an application. (200 words)

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Vanderbilt has released their prompts early for this cycle.

• Please reflect on the upbringing, background, and experiences in your life that have shaped who you are as a person and will help define the person you want to be in the future. In other words, what makes you who you are? (800 words)
  • Tell us about a time when you interacted with someone who is different than you. What did you learn? What would you do differently? (600 words)
  • Everyone needs help at various times in their lives. Describe a time you asked for help and what you gained from that experience that has influenced your approach to asking for help. (600 words)
  • Optional: If you have completed your undergraduate education, please comment on what you have done or have been doing since graduation. (200 words)
  • Optional: If applicable, please describe how the COVID-19 outbreak affected your pathway to medical school. You may discuss any academic, personal, financial, or professional alterations to your plans. NOTE: Disclosing certain hardships or obstacles that have been faced during this time will not negatively affect an application. (200 words)
Wow I was really about to start the old 1200 word autobiography tomorrow... thank you so much for this lol

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Wow I was really about to start the old 1200 word autobiography tomorrow... thank you so much for this lol
I just sat down to work on it before I saw this. So glad I didn't do it last weekend!!

Reactions: 1 users
Would it be acceptable to write about something "light" for this prompt?
Asking for financial help, help during personal or family sickness, etc. would seem ideal but I personally don't have experiences of that nature.
I am quite unsure what qualities this question is looking for, in the context of medical school application.

Would it be acceptable to write about something "light" for this prompt?
Asking for financial help, help during personal or family sickness, etc. would seem ideal but I personally don't have experiences of that nature.
I am quite unsure what qualities this question is looking for, in the context of medical school application.
I was trying to start this one and was thinking the same thing. I have no stories of when I asked for help for something major but I ask for help with a lot of little things.

Got a "primary received" email

Same - just an email saying that they were now reviewing my app, which is nice I guess?

Reactions: 7 users
+2. Good luck everyone—hope we all receive a secondary! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know Vanderbilt's criteria for screening?
From what I've heard on various forums, they use a screen that automatically selects certain people for the secondary. At one point this was a 3.8+/520+. It sounds like they changed that to 3.5+/515+ at some point. After the auto screen, they go through and select a bunch of the people below those cutoffs for secondaries based on a more holistic review.

• Dislike
  • Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
Can confirm a 515 gets through this cycle. I got MSTP secondary and have that score. Also no subsection screen apparent because I got through with a bad cars score

From what I've heard on various forums, they use a screen that automatically selects certain people for the secondary. At one point this was a 3.8+/520+. It sounds like they changed that to 3.5+/515+ at some point. After the auto screen, they go through and select a bunch of the people below those cutoffs for secondaries based on a more holistic review.

For the record, I am getting the following directly from their website, and I'm sticking with it!:

Applications are reviewed in two stages. First, a group of specially trained screeners who represent the diversity of our community review the material provided from AMCAS. Each application receives multiple independent evaluations. This enables us to do a holistic review of the competitive strength of the applicant’s credentials. We take into consideration the following factors:
  • Academic accomplishment
  • Motivation
  • Personal qualities
  • Leadership skills
  • Educational background
After this first screening, the most competitive applicants are offered an opportunity to submit a Vanderbilt-specific secondary application and are under consideration to be invited to come to campus for a personal interview. We anticipate that secondary invitations will be sent out starting mid-July, 2021. Approximately two-thirds of the applicants will be offered the secondary application. We will interview approximately 550 applicants; approximately 250 applicants will be offered admission for 96 positions.

Reactions: 2 users
MSTP secondary just now! MCAT 515 if anyone wants a datapoint lol

Last edited:
For the record, I am getting the following directly from their website, and I'm sticking with it!:

Applications are reviewed in two stages. First, a group of specially trained screeners who represent the diversity of our community review the material provided from AMCAS. Each application receives multiple independent evaluations. This enables us to do a holistic review of the competitive strength of the applicant’s credentials. We take into consideration the following factors:
  • Academic accomplishment
  • Motivation
  • Personal qualities
  • Leadership skills
  • Educational background
After this first screening, the most competitive applicants are offered an opportunity to submit a Vanderbilt-specific secondary application and are under consideration to be invited to come to campus for a personal interview. We anticipate that secondary invitations will be sent out starting mid-July, 2021. Approximately two-thirds of the applicants will be offered the secondary application. We will interview approximately 550 applicants; approximately 250 applicants will be offered admission for 96 positions.
As I said at the beginning of my post "from what I've heard"...

I don't claim to have any special inside knowledge, was just passing on what I've read. The consensus seems to be that there is some type of auto screen but that lots of people get pushed through based on a more holistic review. Could be completely wrong, but no one is ever going to have an exact answer about this stuff unless they're on the admissions committee.

The description you linked is the same generic description used by every school that doesn't send a secondary to anyone with a pulse.

As I said at the beginning of my post "from what I've heard"...

I don't claim to have any special inside knowledge, was just passing on what I've read. The consensus seems to be that there is some type of auto screen but that lots of people get pushed through based on a more holistic review. Could be completely wrong, but no one is ever going to have an exact answer about this stuff unless they're on the admissions committee.

The description you linked is the same generic description used by every school that doesn't send a secondary to anyone with a pulse.
Okay, but, TBH, they are being pretty transparent by spelling out in some detail how their process works, including what they are looking at and how many people they will interview and then later admit to fill their class, so I'm not sure why anyone would question it in favor of random things being posted on random websites. They make no mention of an auto-screen, while they describe multiple, independent holistic reviews.

This is what I've heard, and I'm just passing it on. :)

Hi All, I am pretty unfamiliar with SDN. Could someone give me a brief summary of the lingo? What do people mean by +3, +4, etc? What is LM, WARS, II, IA, etc? Probably super obvious, but I can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated :)

Hi All, I am pretty unfamiliar with SDN. Could someone give me a brief summary of the lingo? What do people mean by +3, +4, etc? What is LM, WARS, II, IA, etc? Probably super obvious, but I can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated :)
+3 and +4 are people saying they also received something. Like "I got a secondary" +1,+2,+3 would be more people also receiving this. LM = LizzyM score a number generated from your GPA + MCAT to gauge competitiveness (google to find). WARS = another metric for gauging competitiveness can also google. II = Interview Invite . IA = institutional action IS = instate OOS = out of state etc

All the plusses are just people agreeing with a particular post. LM is a LizzyM score, it gives you a score based on aggregate GPA and MCAT. WARS is similar but factors in extracurriculars as well. Search these on google to figure out yours. II is an interview invite, which we are all hoping to see eventually... and IA is an institutional action, basically getting written up for cheating or some other kind of academic dishonesty.

MSTP II just now! MCAT 515 if anyone wants a datapoint lol
Also, Interview Invite or did you mean secondary? Doubtful interview invite considering secondaries for MSTP went out last week.

All I can think is thank God I'm not on an adcom. I'd be driving myself crazy thinking if some applicant is someone who annoyed me on SDN or Reddit.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
+3 and +4 are people saying they also received something. Like "I got a secondary" +1,+2,+3 would be more people also receiving this. LM = LizzyM score a number generated from your GPA + MCAT to gauge competitiveness (google to find). WARS = another metric for gauging competitiveness can also google. II = Interview Invite . IA = institutional action IS = instate OOS = out of state etc
I think IA refers to Interviews Accepted, especially when it is on the tagline right after II: Interview Invites.

Also, Interview Invite or did you mean secondary? Doubtful interview invite considering secondaries for MSTP went out last week.
y'all I'm an idiot. I meant secondary. Please pardon me if I gave anyone anxiety. I might have tried to manifest my fantasy a bit too hard :/

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
Are MSTP people uploading a file for every publication and abstract or just putting the journal/conference and title

Have any non-MSTP (regular MD) applicants received their secondaries yet?

Are MSTP people uploading a file for every publication and abstract or just putting the journal/conference and title
I was gonna do just pubs and published abstracts, but not all my presentation abstracts

I uploaded a file of my manuscripts but not abstracts since it wouldn't take ppts and a lot of my abstracts were recent so they're not published online yet

According to their website, today is the first possible day to receive a regular MD secondary. Fingers crossed, everyone!

Really? Duke AND Vandy on the same day? *stress*

+ (n+2). They said 2/3 applicants receive secondaries