You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2008-2009 Vanderbilt Secondary Application Thread
Started by shemarty
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
I took a month and a half to submit the secondary after the interview invite (whoops). I don't think it really matters from their point of view. It's just smarter to get it done earlier because I definitely didn't get my first choice for interview date/time (8AM in the morning!)
I definitely took a month submitting my secondary. But seriously, when a school is asking for an autobiography, I feel that I deserve more than a week to think about the content.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
True, it's worse than the PS in some ways, and I took months to write that. Of course, I missed my self-imposed deadline of last weekend.I definitely took a month submitting my secondary. But seriously, when a school is asking for an autobiography, I feel that I deserve more than a week to think about the content.
True, it's worse than the PS in some ways, and I took months to write that. Of course, I missed my self-imposed deadline of last weekend.
Oh yeah, way harder than the PS by far (I felt). Heh...my mom got mad at me for leaving my younger sister out of my first draft 😛. (My sister was reinserted by the end).
Anybody who has interviewed already have any suggestions of what to do during the down time?
I have an 8am interview this Friday, which means I'll probably have about 2 hours to kill before the information session at around 11, and then another couple of hours after lunch until the hospital tour. sigh.
I have an 8am interview this Friday, which means I'll probably have about 2 hours to kill before the information session at around 11, and then another couple of hours after lunch until the hospital tour. sigh.
Anybody who has interviewed already have any suggestions of what to do during the down time?
I have an 8am interview this Friday, which means I'll probably have about 2 hours to kill before the information session at around 11, and then another couple of hours after lunch until the hospital tour. sigh.
Sit in on a class with the 1st or 2nd years. Wander around the Light hall/ hospital / clinic buildings. Walk over to the undergrad campus.
Take a picture of this cute sculpture of little kids climbing up a DNA double helix!
For those of you have access to the interview schedule,
would it be possible to let us know what dates are still available?
Are there any slots in October?
I'm trying to finish the secondary ASAP, but the autobiography's taking up more time than I imagined.
would it be possible to let us know what dates are still available?
Are there any slots in October?
I'm trying to finish the secondary ASAP, but the autobiography's taking up more time than I imagined.
Anybody who has interviewed already have any suggestions of what to do during the down time?
I have an 8am interview this Friday, which means I'll probably have about 2 hours to kill before the information session at around 11, and then another couple of hours after lunch until the hospital tour. sigh.
Ick I have the 8 am interview time too (not this Friday). Good call on thinking about how to spend that extra time.
OK, question -- how am I supposed to find the classroom to sit in on the class? I e-mailed the woman in admissions...and she just e-mailed me the invitation all over again...
Am I missing something here?
The admissions office is actually right across from the lecture halls, so you can pretty much walk into either (the second year one is right across from admissions, the first year one is the one next to it, a bit down the hall). Also, med students will literally just walk into admissions and introduce themselves and tell you what they're studying (Vandy students are insanely nice).
Hope this helps!
The admissions office is actually right across from the lecture halls, so you can pretty much walk into either (the second year one is right across from admissions, the first year one is the one next to it, a bit down the hall). Also, med students will literally just walk into admissions and introduce themselves and tell you what they're studying (Vandy students are insanely nice).
Hope this helps!
Thank you! You are awesome 🙂
the downtime is definitely the worst part of the Vandy interview day. I really wish they'd change that.Anybody who has interviewed already have any suggestions of what to do during the down time?
I have an 8am interview this Friday, which means I'll probably have about 2 hours to kill before the information session at around 11, and then another couple of hours after lunch until the hospital tour. sigh.
there are several places to walk to and look around if you want. I happen to work at Vandy, so I just went to work during the few hours I had.
My interview's tomorrow! I'm nervous/excited😛
My interview's tomorrow! I'm nervous/excited😛
Good luck! Vandy is an amazing school.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got back from Vanderbilt! The facilities ar simply amazing, especially the A&P lab, the simulation rooms, and the children's hospital. I really want to go here!
I felt like the interview went okay. It was very laid back, and she made a point that the interview was really just to get more information, not to test you or whatever. I still feel like I didn't talk enough because that 55 minutes went by like that. She would ask a question, and I would answer, and we would move to something else. I didn't really get to elaborate. Oh well, I think I gave her what she wanted.
Good luck to everyone else! Now I get to wait...
I felt like the interview went okay. It was very laid back, and she made a point that the interview was really just to get more information, not to test you or whatever. I still feel like I didn't talk enough because that 55 minutes went by like that. She would ask a question, and I would answer, and we would move to something else. I didn't really get to elaborate. Oh well, I think I gave her what she wanted.
Good luck to everyone else! Now I get to wait...
2
203712
Hey all,
My interview is this monday 9/29 and I have been away from home interviewing all week. I lost the interview letter during my travels and have no idea what I am supposed to do.
the interview page tells me my interview is
1001 Oxford House Vanderbilt Medical Center @ 8am
but do i go to the admissions office first or head straight to this part or what?!? How far is this Oxford House from the office, incase I have to travel fast!
Thanks all
My interview is this monday 9/29 and I have been away from home interviewing all week. I lost the interview letter during my travels and have no idea what I am supposed to do.
the interview page tells me my interview is
1001 Oxford House Vanderbilt Medical Center @ 8am
but do i go to the admissions office first or head straight to this part or what?!? How far is this Oxford House from the office, incase I have to travel fast!
Thanks all
Hey all,
My interview is this monday 9/29 and I have been away from home interviewing all week. I lost the interview letter during my travels and have no idea what I am supposed to do.
the interview page tells me my interview is
1001 Oxford House Vanderbilt Medical Center @ 8am
but do i go to the admissions office first or head straight to this part or what?!? How far is this Oxford House from the office, incase I have to travel fast!
Thanks all
Go to the admissions office in Light Hall (forgot the room number...251?) by around 7:30 am, and one of the staff will take you to your interview destination.
2
203712
Go to the admissions office in Light Hall (forgot the room number...251?) by around 7:30 am, and one of the staff will take you to your interview destination.
Thanks a million Fizzle, amazing that the office is open at 7:30 am!!
Thanks a million Fizzle, amazing that the office is open at 7:30 am!!
Well, I actually got there by around 7:15 am and arrived before Judy, but the office should be unlocked with some people inside.
Well, I actually got there by around 7:15 am and arrived before Judy, but the office should be unlocked with some people inside.
Did the same, but it was locked for me. 😛
Don't worry about getting there. Either your interviewer will come get you or a student will escort you. Win-win!👍

(Beware the sandwiches. The turkey and bacon is shredded (although it's quite tasty--just bring a dropcloth). No one's quite sure what an Iroquois sandwich is. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get there. 😀)
I think it's 215 light hall.Go to the admissions office in Light Hall (forgot the room number...251?) by around 7:30 am, and one of the staff will take you to your interview destination.
the iroquois is chicken saladDid the same, but it was locked for me. 😛
Don't worry about getting there. Either your interviewer will come get you or a student will escort you. Win-win!👍
(Beware the sandwiches. The turkey and bacon is shredded (although it's quite tasty--just bring a dropcloth). No one's quite sure what an Iroquois sandwich is. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get there. 😀)
2
203712
hey thanks a lot for all your help. You've got me a lot more relaxed.
Anyone else Have Dr. James O'neill for the interview? So excited its tomorrow. I spent the entire weekend with students here, its been so fun. Would love to go to vandy.
Anyone else Have Dr. James O'neill for the interview? So excited its tomorrow. I spent the entire weekend with students here, its been so fun. Would love to go to vandy.
yep, I've interviewed with him. Nice guy!hey thanks a lot for all your help. You've got me a lot more relaxed.
Anyone else Have Dr. James O'neill for the interview? So excited its tomorrow. I spent the entire weekend with students here, its been so fun. Would love to go to vandy.
Have you read up about him online? He was sort of a big deal.
Hey guys -- second year Vandy student here. Sorry we just had our first exam today, so I haven't really been checking PreAllo that much lately 😉
I just wanted to let you all know that if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck on your interviews, and I hope to see some of you around the admissions office.
I just wanted to let you all know that if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck on your interviews, and I hope to see some of you around the admissions office.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So just to be clear,
I interviewed at Vandy recently and I had a question regarding the post-interview evaluation of my file.
Am I correct in my understanding that ONLY my primary AAMCAS application is what was evaluated to offer me an interveiw, and that now there will be 3 adcoms who evaluate my ENTIRE file including my LORs and secondary essays?
My main question is whether or not my LORs played a role already in being offered an interview, or if they, like the secondary, are only just now being evaluated post-interview.
Thanks for any input, good luck to all, vandy rocked my socks for sure 👍
I interviewed at Vandy recently and I had a question regarding the post-interview evaluation of my file.
Am I correct in my understanding that ONLY my primary AAMCAS application is what was evaluated to offer me an interveiw, and that now there will be 3 adcoms who evaluate my ENTIRE file including my LORs and secondary essays?
My main question is whether or not my LORs played a role already in being offered an interview, or if they, like the secondary, are only just now being evaluated post-interview.
Thanks for any input, good luck to all, vandy rocked my socks for sure 👍
I'm pretty sure (99% sure) that LORs aren't reviewed until post-interview.So just to be clear,
I interviewed at Vandy recently and I had a question regarding the post-interview evaluation of my file.
Am I correct in my understanding that ONLY my primary AAMCAS application is what was evaluated to offer me an interveiw, and that now there will be 3 adcoms who evaluate my ENTIRE file including my LORs and secondary essays?
My main question is whether or not my LORs played a role already in being offered an interview, or if they, like the secondary, are only just now being evaluated post-interview.
Thanks for any input, good luck to all, vandy rocked my socks for sure 👍
that's my understanding of how it works also.I'm pretty sure (99% sure) that LORs aren't reviewed until post-interview.
I have just been informed that Vandy has changed the way they're making offers this year.
In the past, they meet once a week to make offers, and anyone with a certain score gets an offer, while everyone else gets rejected or waitlisted, and their file isn't reconsidered until they get to the waitlist spots.
Now, they're only making offers once per month. The good news for some of us is that you will be reconsidered every month if you have not received an offer. We won't get our one shot and then be kicked onto the back burner, we'll actively be considered for admission once a month.
Just thought I'd pass this tidbit along.
In the past, they meet once a week to make offers, and anyone with a certain score gets an offer, while everyone else gets rejected or waitlisted, and their file isn't reconsidered until they get to the waitlist spots.
Now, they're only making offers once per month. The good news for some of us is that you will be reconsidered every month if you have not received an offer. We won't get our one shot and then be kicked onto the back burner, we'll actively be considered for admission once a month.
Just thought I'd pass this tidbit along.
Interesting. Thanks armybound!
I have just been informed that Vandy has changed the way they're making offers this year.
In the past, they meet once a week to make offers, and anyone with a certain score gets an offer, while everyone else gets rejected or waitlisted, and their file isn't reconsidered until they get to the waitlist spots.
Now, they're only making offers once per month. The good news for some of us is that you will be reconsidered every month if you have not received an offer. We won't get our one shot and then be kicked onto the back burner, we'll actively be considered for admission once a month.
Just thought I'd pass this tidbit along.
So does that mean that we will not get any indication to where we stand until November?😱
Why november?So does that mean that we will not get any indication to where we stand until November?😱
The first offers will come out on Oct 15, as expected, but only once a month after then. So yeah, some of us will be waiting a long time to hear anything.So does that mean that we will not get any indication to where we stand until November?😱
They will notify us one way or the other (you will get an acceptance, waitlist, or rejection, they won't make you keep waiting forever).
absolutely. you can skip out on the tour later in the day. you could spend the few hours they have you bumming around waiting for the tour to go walk around the hospitals, if you wanted to.If my interview is at 9 a.m. will I be able to make it to the airport by 4:20 p.m.?
They've appointed a new Dean
I am very pleased to announce this morning that Chancellor Zeppos and I have named Jeffrey R. Balser, M.D., Ph.D., as Associate Vice Chancellor for Health Affairs and Dean of the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. Dr. Balser will be the 11th Dean in the School's 183-year history.
Dr. Balser was selected as the lead candidate by a search committee which included a broad cross-section of leaders from throughout the Medical Center, the University and Board of Trust. Dr. Dan Beauchamp, Director of the Section of Surgical Sciences, chaired the Search Committee. Dr. Balser was selected from an outstanding and highly competitive group of nationally prominent candidates. Dr. Balser graduated from Vanderbilt's M.D., Ph.D. program in 1990 and after anesthesiology residency and junior faculty appointments at Johns Hopkins, joined the Vanderbilt faculty in 1998. In 2001 Jeff was appointed Chair of the Vanderbilt Department of Anesthesiology and in 2004 succeeded Dr. Lee Limbird as Associate Vice Chancellor for Research. He is a respected leader, clinician, researcher and mentor with the energy, commitment and insight to lead our School of Medicine as we seek to not only assume our position as one of the top academic health centers in the country but more importantly as we commit ourselves to having greater impact on the world around us.
Join me in thanking Dr. Beauchamp and the members of the search committee for their service: Provost Richard McCarty, Drs. Anthony Baucum, Andre Churchwell, Jonathan Gitlin, John Gore, Stephan Heckers, Linda Norman, Michael Waterman, and Susan Wente; Mses. Julie Field and Sara Horvitz; and Messrs. Larry Goldberg and Orrin Ingram.
Finally, join us in congratulating Dr. Balser and welcoming him to his new and important role.
2
203712
Awesome! Thanks for the reply! I finally finished my autobio. tonight... PHEW.
you have a long time before the tour, so take your own tour and then leave around 2:30, tell Judy you want shuttle to the airport at that time and she will arrange it for you. Before your shuttle arrives, check out CELA (?) ask her where it is. You'll love it, and check out the children's hospital. Goodluck, and enjoy yourself.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey i was wondering if anyone knew what dates the interview season at vandy spands or about how many interviews have been offered or what dates have been filled up so far?
i checked on their website and only mentioned they offer about 930 interviews and that the interview days are MTThF. if anyone could shed some light on any interview info that would be great. i want to know how late in the game it is right now for vandy
i checked on their website and only mentioned they offer about 930 interviews and that the interview days are MTThF. if anyone could shed some light on any interview info that would be great. i want to know how late in the game it is right now for vandy
I believe they started interviewing in mid-August, and will continue to February.
I think all the dates are filled until mid December, though hopefully someone who completed their secondary more recently can give you a better idea. You can only see what dates are available when you complete your secondary, and once you're done you don't have access to the schedule any longer.
I think all the dates are filled until mid December, though hopefully someone who completed their secondary more recently can give you a better idea. You can only see what dates are available when you complete your secondary, and once you're done you don't have access to the schedule any longer.
Does anyone know if Vanderbilt calls accepted applicants... or do they just send snail-mail acceptances?
One of my friends who was accepted last year got a phone call, but I don't know if they call everyone they accept.Does anyone know if Vanderbilt calls accepted applicants... or do they just send snail-mail acceptances?
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K