2008-2009 Vanderbilt Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What did you guys write for the 2nd essay? I'm having some difficulty writing something that hasn't already been described in my personal statement and/or in my autobiography.

Members don't see this ad.

What did you guys write for the 2nd essay? I'm having some difficulty writing something that hasn't already been described in my personal statement and/or in my autobiography.

I originally had the "learning environment" answer in my autobio but cut it out once I wrote essay 2. I wrote both shorter essays first, and put the remaining info into the autobio. (Or rather, deleted those paragraphs from the autobio that was already written from UCSD)

I'm browsing the interview feedback page for Vandy, and it seems like they like to ask

"What other schools did you apply to?"

I thought they weren't supposed to ask this? Better to be direct and list the schools, or generalize? It might be followed up with "why did you apply to X school." Its hard to tell whether they're just curious or whether they're trying to gauge whether or not you'll come to Vandy. What'd you guys think?
There's no way in hell I'm giving them my whole list!

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no way in hell I'm giving them my whole list!

I could list my 14, but they're the top 14 research-heavy schools in the US, so I wonder if they'd question why I didn't apply to all the UC schools, or more of the mid-tier schools. I don't want to talk myself into a corner and end up sounding over-confident or arrogant. On the other hand, I want them to know that I was selective about the schools I picked, and they're definitely one of my top choices. I guess in the end, you want them to consider you a very desirable applicant that many schools will be fighting over. I have no idea how to convey that. :confused:

I really haven't thought about it...but I was thinking of saying something like:
I applied to my state schools and a few other schools as backups...but the school that I really want to go to is Vandy.
I don't think it would be a good idea to list out the schools for anyone!

I'm browsing the interview feedback page for Vandy, and it seems like they like to ask

"What other schools did you apply to?"

I thought they weren't supposed to ask this? Better to be direct and list the schools, or generalize? It might be followed up with "why did you apply to X school." Its hard to tell whether they're just curious or whether they're trying to gauge whether or not you'll come to Vandy. What'd you guys think?

They didn't ask that at my interview here (nor at any of the other schools). I would honestly not worry about the interview feedback page since everyone's interviewer is different and a single interviewer usually doesn't have a laundry list of questions (and honestly, you hopefully will have enough interesting things to talk about that such trivial questions wouldn't even come up.

I've never heard of anyone here having a 'tough' interview, so I wouldn't worry about getting grilled.

You guys think I should call if I think my mail might be lost? I moved to a new apartment and the forwarding did not take place yet because I was homeless for 2 weeks. I was complete 6/18.

You guys think I should call if I think my mail might be lost? I moved to a new apartment and the forwarding did not take place yet because I was homeless for 2 weeks. I was complete 6/18.
don't call to ask about your status...call to make sure they have the right address for you. if they don't, give them the right one and say please send all mail to this address rather than the old one.

This is a long 4-6 week wait.

It's been 4 weeks and 4 days since I received the Vanderbilt "we got your application" letter.

It's been 5 weeks and 4 days since my AMCAS was verified.

Tick tock. :(

For those of you who have already submitted the secondary - can you post what dates Vandy interviews? Unfortunately, they apparently don't give access to the interview scheduler until you submit your app.

Thanks!

I just scheduled mine yesterday...and they still have spots open for next (yes, next) tuesday, thursday, and friday if you wanna go real soon =)

They interview every monday, tuesday, thursday, and friday. All dates in september were open when I scheduled, except for monday september 1st. But you also schedule the time. Don't get stuck with an 8 AM interview!

two questions:

Interviewing on 9/29....i hope im not making all my interviews too late, i just dont want to keep flying back and forth once schoool starts. what you guys think of 9/29? Not too late is it??

question two:

anyone know where I can find the overnight student housing stuff. I dont know where to go for this:confused:

finally got the invite today, 6 weeks out from my verified AMCAS. Good luck to the rest of you guys!!!

ps. don't let the tiny white envelope scare you..

Members don't see this ad :)
two questions:

Interviewing on 9/29....i hope im not making all my interviews too late, i just dont want to keep flying back and forth once schoool starts. what you guys think of 9/29? Not too late is it??

question two:

anyone know where I can find the overnight student housing stuff. I dont know where to go for this:confused:

Here's the link:
http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/medschool/admissions/hosting.php

I highly encourage getting a student host! Everyone at Vandy is so incredibly nice and they will really make you feel included. Congrats on the interview! And don't worry September is still definitely early. Good luck!

two questions:

I scheduled mine for 9/30 because it fit in my schedule better. I figure that they can't send out acceptances until October anyway, so we should still be in that first batch. ;)

somebody brought this up before, but are you guys waiving the ferpa? i dont really understand why they want us to do that. thoughts?

I think I accidentally waived FERPA while looking through the secondary, so hopefully it doesn't mean anything. As far as I could tell, it was like waiving the right to see letters of recommendations for confidentiality purposes, so I'm assuming it lets adcoms evaluate more honestly.

And, I was acknowledged around 7/16 and got my interview invite in the mail yesterday, postmarked 8/18.

Last edited:
If you read the statement closely, you are actually waiving the right to view comments written by your interviewers, not necessarily your LOR writers. I think adcoms already see that you have waived/not waived via VE or Interfolio.

Ugh, not looking forward to writing that autobiography. I'll do it this weekend, I promise :(.

Ugh, not looking forward to writing that autobiography. I'll do it this weekend, I promise :(.

Grab a nice frappucino at a local non-chain coffee shop with interesting customers on a sunday afternoon and reminisce about your life.

Worked for me

Mishka17: II:8/1, SS:8/12, C:?, I:9/5
serikk85: II:8/4, SS:8/12, C:?, I:9/9
drangocar: II: 8/4, SS:?, C:?, I:?
slipstream99: II: 8/4, SS: 8/16, C: 8/16, I: 9/5
linguini: II: 8/4, SS:?, C:?, I:?
rowerlauren: II: 8/4, SS:?, C:?, I: 8/25
LET: II: 8/4, SS: 8/9, C:?, I: 9/8
Rachettes85: II:8/8, SS:8/7, C:8/6, I:?
Scean: II: 8/4, SS:?, C?, I:?
Shemarty: II: 8/4, SS:8/8, C?, I:9/22
Carlin: II:8/4, SS:8/8, C?, I:9/30
zpiff: II: 8/4, SS: 8/8, C:?, I: 8/18
Schoolsucks: II: 8/4, SS: ?, C: ?, I:?, OOS
Myuuchan: II: 8/4, SS: 8/17, C: ?, I: 9/22, OOS
gecko45: II: 8/6, SS: ?, C:?, I: ?
jgberken: II: 8/11, SS: ?, C: ?, I: ?, OOS
neuropeptidey: II: 8/11, SS: ?, C: ?, I: ?, OOS
funkydrmonkey: II: 8/11, SS: ?, C: ?, I: ?, OOS
calf: II: n/a (MSTP), SS: ?, C: ?, I: ?, OOS
saa09: II: 8/11, SS:?, C:?, I:?, OOS
pianola: II: 8/22, SS:?, C:?, I:?, OOS

Thanks for the warning about the small envelope guys :D

haha congrats pianola!!!

Yay! Thank you :) Maybe I'll meet you on interview day ;) Now I've just got to figure out how to write my autobiography in 1200 words :laugh:

Last edited:
calf: II: n/a (MSTP), SS: ?, C: ?, I: ?, OOS
Chemist0157: II: 8/18, SS:?, C:?, I:?, OOS

Booya.

Pianola, when was your primary verified?

So am I the only slacker who received a 8/4 dated letter and has not completed the secondary?

I doubt they even notice, but I hope they don't look down on a long turnaround time. Obviously they know school just started and people are busy. Anyway, I'm gonna finish the essays this weekend i swear!

Good Luck to all struggling with the essays or waiting for their letter :thumbup:

So am I the only slacker who received a 8/4 dated letter and has not completed the secondary?

I doubt they even notice, but I hope they don't look down on a long turnaround time. Obviously they know school just started and people are busy. Anyway, I'm gonna finish the essays this weekend i swear!

Good Luck to all struggling with the essays or waiting for their letter :thumbup:
Haha I'm sure isn't that big of a deal...

No, you're not :D.

I got the 8/4 letter and I plan on finishing it today.

Also about scheduling interviews, you can only schedule a date that is 7 or more days after you submit your secondary, so plan for that if you want one of those really early September days in order to ensure that you are in the earliest group of admissions decisions.

Done!

calf: II: n/a (MSTP), SS: 8/24, C: ?, I: ?, OOS

armybound: II: 8/19, SS: 8/25, C:?, I: 9/11, IS

where are you Vanderbilt envelope?!?!

i know this is probably a waste of a post but i had to share my anxiety.....

Hey guys~

When sending LORs, do they accept more than 3? If it's only 3, do they want all of them to be from professors?

Vihsadas: II: 8/18, SS:?, C:?, I:?

Thin white envelopes are hella scary!! "Booya" indeed. :)

funkydrmonkey: II: 8/11, SS: 8/26, C: ?, I: 9/18, OOS
Vihsadas: II: 8/18, SS:?, C:?, I:?

I got my "we received your AMCAS email" 8 weeks ago. Is it weird that I haven't received anything from them (either rejection or interview) yet when they say you will expect to hear from them in 4-6 weeks? Is this happening to anyone else? Should I contact them?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I got it on that day and haven't finished it either. I doubt they'd care about the turnaround time. I hope that's not just wishful thinking...

I got it on that day and haven't finished it either. I doubt they'd care about the turnaround time. I hope that's not just wishful thinking...

Well, the sooner you get it done, the sooner you can schedule an interview. :thumbup::luck:

Yeah yeah yeah...

Maybe i'm subconsciously avoiding spending the inevitable $300+ on airfare. And yes, I know that's a stupid reason.

I'll start it today...

I'm having a REALLY hard time writing that autobiography. I already wrote a stinkin' personal statement...now this!?

join the club...it's pretty difficult to condense your life into 1200 words. Hopefully I have it done by the end of this weekend, I really wish I'd have gotten the secondary befor school started =(

Yeah yeah yeah...

Maybe i'm subconsciously avoiding spending the inevitable $300+ on airfare. And yes, I know that's a stupid reason.

I'll start it today...

i just got my ticket from logan to tn roundtrip for 240. but where the hell is everyone staying when you all get here. I just looked at the campus map and light hall seems like quite a walk even from the recommended "walking distance" hotels on the Vandy website.

join the club...it's pretty difficult to condense your life into 1200 words. Hopefully I have it done by the end of this weekend, I really wish I'd have gotten the secondary befor school started =(

I just hate bs'ing. We already did this sort of thing on our AMCAS applications. It just burns me up that a poor "feelings" essay could keep me out of Vanderbilt. It has nothing to do with being a good doctor.

i just got my ticket from logan to tn roundtrip for 240. but where the hell is everyone staying when you all get here. I just looked at the campus map and light hall seems like quite a walk even from the recommended "walking distance" hotels on the Vandy website.

Try to request a student host. For one it's way cheaper and you can talk to someone about their opinion on the school, etc...

it has been officially six weeks since i was verified.... ahhh i want some news... please!

it has been officially six weeks since i was verified.... ahhh i want some news... please!

its been about 9 weeks since i have been verified and i have heard nothing...

Status
Not open for further replies.