2008-2009 Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello future classmates =)

VCU i choose you! lmao sorry.

1. zetabruin, male from Los Angeles, undergrad UCLA
2. flscribe, female from Los Angles, undergrad UCSB
3. danaerys, female from San Francisco, undergrad UCSD
4. Karim, theoc47, Huntington Beach, undergrad Long Beach State
5. Bahadur, male from Orange County, undergrad UC Irvine

Members don't see this ad.

I'm beginning to loose hope :(
I sent an e-mail to WC and this was her response...a lot bleaker than the others who have posted theirs from her..

You are not at a place where we reached last summer. This may not be indicative of what will happen because of the increase in the number of first medical school class spots this year across the country. Only time will tell.

Anyone have any thoughts about that? :(

I sent an e-mail to WC and this was her response...a lot bleaker than the others who have posted theirs from her..

You are not at a place where we reached last summer. This may not be indicative of what will happen because of the increase in the number of first medical school class spots this year across the country. Only time will tell.

Look, there is nothing u can really do...so there's no point in speculating n' agonizing over it. IF u do get accepted, it will be days b4 orientation. But for all intents and purposes, I would treat that email as if ur not going to get into VCU this year so that way u can at least stop agonizing over it and do something more productive for ur future application (assuming u don't have any other acceptances, and if u do hold another acceptance then who cares if u don’t get into vcu!!!). If u keep pondering over the idea of getting into vcu this year, u'll just end up sleeplessly rolling in bed every night. the best thing u can do right now is treat it like a rejection and move on to improving ur application...

...and I'm not dishing out this advice while basking in acceptances, i have a grand total of 0 acceptances right now (w/ poor prospects of getting into vcu), so we're pretty much in the same boat...the best thing to do is go on about ur life pretending u have been rejected, n' if u do get off the wait list then it'll be a nice surprise...

Members don't see this ad :)

cho15- I think I remember you- we interviewed the same day @ VCU (1/12). Please don't worry about this email! I don't know if this helps or not- but I lived in Richmond and started out in the MCV certificate program. I decided to get my master's after the 1st semester. Every person that did well in the program got into a medical school (many went to VCU).

After a mediocre gpa @ UVA, the MS program is the reason I got into medical school. The program also helped me improve my MCAT score. I was older, more focused and feel ready to commit myself to the challenge of med school. After graduating, I applied to med school while working in a hospital- I was waitlisted two years in a row. The first year I wasn't
"agressive" with my LOI and phone calls. However, this year I wrote letters, called, and met with Dr WC @ VCU. Ultimately, I got in off the waitlist to two of the three schools I applied to this cycle.

In summary, don't give up or get frustrated! This process can take over your emotions- just focus on what you can do. Working in an intensive care unit offered me incredible clinical exposure and experience. During my time off I also made sure I traveled, went to every concert I wanted to attend, and spent tons of time with my family/friends. So, if for some reason, this isn't your year . . . it will be okay. You will go to medical school! I have never met a person that wanted to go to medical school and didn't go. Determination and persistance are two qualities that will help you be a great doc.

Sorry for the long reply! Hope it helps though.

cho15- I think I remember you- we interviewed the same day @ VCU (1/12). Please don't worry about this email! I don't know if this helps or not- but I lived in Richmond and started out in the MCV certificate program. I decided to get my master's after the 1st semester. Every person that did well in the program got into a medical school (many went to VCU).

After a mediocre gpa @ UVA, the MS program is the reason I got into medical school. The program also helped me improve my MCAT score. I was older, more focused and feel ready to commit myself to the challenge of med school. After graduating, I applied to med school while working in a hospital- I was waitlisted two years in a row. The first year I wasn't
"agressive" with my LOI and phone calls. However, this year I wrote letters, called, and met with Dr WC @ VCU. Ultimately, I got in off the waitlist to two of the three schools I applied to this cycle.

In summary, don't give up or get frustrated! This process can take over your emotions- just focus on what you can do. Working in an intensive care unit offered me incredible clinical exposure and experience. During my time off I also made sure I traveled, went to every concert I wanted to attend, and spent tons of time with my family/friends. So, if for some reason, this isn't your year . . . it will be okay. You will go to medical school! I have never met a person that wanted to go to medical school and didn't go. Determination and persistance are two qualities that will help you be a great doc.

Sorry for the long reply! Hope it helps though.

I appreciate the long reply! I wish I could remember which one of the interviewees you might have been...lol. Hearing from encouraging and genuinely kind people like you makes me want to go to VCU even more...thanks a lot :(. Haha, I'm just kidding. But really, thanks for your words of wisdom. Hopefully I'll be surprised later this summer and can finally meet all of you wonderful people :)

Would you suggest attending a one-year master's program and reapplying or attending a medical school in the caribbean instead? That is, if I don't get into VCU of course.

I appreciate the long reply! I wish I could remember which one of the interviewees you might have been...lol. Hearing from encouraging and genuinely kind people like you makes me want to go to VCU even more...thanks a lot :(. Haha, I'm just kidding. But really, thanks for your words of wisdom. Hopefully I'll be surprised later this summer and can finally meet all of you wonderful people :)

Would you suggest attending a one-year master's program and reapplying or attending a medical school in the caribbean instead? That is, if I don't get into VCU of course.

I don't really have any advice on the caribbean front, but I do know that the certificate/master's programs significantly improve your chances of getting into medical school. (If you do well in them). I guess it just ultimately depends on where you want to complete your education and how soon you want that MD. I don't think I would want to be very far away from my friends/family and I also like in-state tuition. So I only applied to state schools and waited and waited and waited. . . but if you want to graduate med school @ 26, you could go to a caribbean school. I just didnt make that option. I have heard that people can transfer from there to US schools.

Just withdrew...OOS Male. Good luck to all still waiting. Applying to med school is the most miserable process on earth!

I would very strongly advise you against the carribean until you have completely exhausted all the possibilities in the US. This include retaking the MCAT, doing extra undergrad coursework or doing a graduate/SMP program.

The carribean, even the big 3 (SGU, Ross, AUC) have pretty high attrition rates, mediocre if not poor USMLE pass rates and relatively poor residency placement. Outside of the big 3 the attrition rates, board fail rates and rates of graduates who fail to match skyrocket. It is really not worth applying until you have applied to the US schools a few times.

DO schools are another option that you could look into.

I am a current MCV/VCU 3rd year med student who went through the certificate program a while back. PM me if you have questions.

I will be starting medical school at MCV and am in the midst of looking for a place to live. I live in Oregon so I will not be able to come to Richmond before school starts. Location is very important to me, want to be within walking distance. I have been using the online resources provided by the school and found the Jackson Warehouse apartments. Is anybody familiar with the building? If so, what are your thoughts? Are there other buildings near campus I should look into?

Hey Everyone! I've decided while sitting on multiple waitlists that my chances are not too great this cycle and have decided to attend the post-bac certificate program at MCV next year while I reapply to med schools. I hope this was a wise decision on my part. The classes will be on the MCV campus so I too am looking at places nearby and within walking distance. I am looking at the Berry Burk building which is 525 E Grace St. and I can't really afford a single bedroom but I think the two-bedroom for $1100 is a good deal and that includes most utilities (I think you only have to pay electric on top of that). If anyone is interested and is not weirded out by rooming with a very nice, 22-yr old, female stranger then let me know!

It seems that this thread has become pretty stagnate. Bad news for us hopefuls :(

Does anyone know how the out-of-state waitlist is moving compare to previous years?

When the school asks for another essay that doesnt include something from the amcas essay, does that just mean the primary? Or does it mean from anything they can get from the amcas application period? After writing out things for the work experience section, disadvantaged essay, and PS, i think ive written just about everything about me in some way, or at least touched on it. Is it ok to maybe repeat some things and then expand?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can write something that's on your AMCAS, but is not in your PS. Elijah, if I remember, you're applying for the 2014 cycle, right? If so, you might want to hold on on filling out VCU's secondary. I believe the school screens. GL.

You can write something that's on your AMCAS, but is not in your PS. Elijah, if I remember, you're applying for the C/O 2014, right? If so, you might want to hold on on filling out VCU's secondary. I believe the school screens. GL.

You can write something that's on your AMCAS, but is not in your PS. Elijah, if I remember, you're applying for the 2014 cycle, right? If so, you might want to hold on on filling out VCU's secondary. I believe the school screens. GL.
yah im applying now. I know they screen but i only have 3 secondaries to fill out from all my schools, im done with the rest...im off of school for 2 weeks so i figure wth i might as well finish them. I think you got in last cycle? If so good luck starting school :). btw love the doug avatar lol brings back memories!! :p

Haha, thanks! Doug is quite the popular avater on SDN. Yep, I was fortunate enough to get into medical school this past cycle. I interviewed at quite a few schools, including VCU, so if you need any advice or have questions feel free to PM me. I'll do my best to address them, GL!

I was wondering if any of you have ideas of how helpful sending in a LOI and an additional recommendation would be. I know that stuff like that can't hurt, but does anyone know how helpful it may be in helping me get off the waitlist. I wish I knew of these LOI's earlier :mad: but I guess later is better than never.

Did anyone else get this email????

"
URGENT: VCU SOM Alternate List Status‏

AMCAS reports that you are holding a position at George Washington University.

If a position becomes available for our Alternate List, we hope you would accept our offer, but we do need to know your intentions since you are holding a position at another school. Please inform us if you wish to remain on our alternate list at this time. We need to know your intentions, since many anxious applicants wait in an alternate status.

Please contact us regardless of your decision by noon, June 19, 2009.

Thank you for your interest in our school. "

What could this MEAN?!?!

"

If a position becomes available for our Alternate List, we hope you would accept our offer, but we do need to know your intentions since you are holding a position at another school. Please inform us if you wish to remain on our alternate list at this time. We need to know your intentions, since many anxious applicants wait in an alternate status.

What could this MEAN?!?!

My guess? Your close enough to the top of the waitlist to have a decent chance but if you have no intention of attending they want to move you out of the way for someone who does. If you would attend VCU over your other school I'd tell them ASAP. :luck:

"

What could this MEAN?!?!

Hey I got that message. I wonder if a lot of people got it if they are close to the top of the waitlist, but are still holding an acceptance. I like GW and VCU equally and want to let the committee know that my decision will be largely based on finance. Is this an appropriate way to tackle the situation?

"

What could this MEAN?!?!

Hey I got that message. I wonder if a lot of people got it if they are close to the top of the waitlist, but are still holding an acceptance. I like GW and VCU equally and want to let the committee know that my decision will be largely based on finance. Is this an appropriate way to tackle the situation?

While I'll admit that I stumbled into this thread after doing a keyword search for GW-- I am on their AL, I have a friend who was in a similar situation as you two. Except, he was holding an acceptance and was contacted by Case. He was also basing much of the potential decision on finances and was debating on whether or not to indicate his decision would be based upon finances to the school he was waitlisted at.

We talked it over and got some input from an MS3 who was formerly on an adcom. The MS3 indicated that he should wait until he actually got off the waitlist to mention financial debates. He expressed that schools do not like to be leveraged into making a decision to accept you. The adcom would be more willing to bargain after you were given the acceptance.

It makes sense. Think about if an adcom is deciding on two people: 1 has indicated an unconditional intent and the other is expressing hesitation due to finances. I say do everything you can to get that acceptance and take it from there. Give yourself as many options as possible. My friend chose to mention the financial factors after he was accepted. He was given a very generous response.

This e-mail seems to indicate you are next in line.

I just got this message too, and I agree that you should not mention finances at this time. VCU wants to know if you are seriously considering them, and you are, so there is absolutely nothing wrong with staying on the WL to see what happens. My understanding is that if they do accept you, you don't have to commit immediately -- I believe you have about two weeks to mull over your options, and that would be the time to see if you can get an idea as to what kind of aid VCU will give you.

I wonder if they send this to everyone who has another acceptance, or only those people with high priority scores.

I got this message this morning. What does it mean?? I never got the second look email though.

I think I may need to defer med school for a year, because I am emotionally DRAINED from this admissions game.

"

What could this MEAN?!?!

I would love to be wrong, but I think they send this email to everyone who is holding an acceptance at another place. I got it as well. I think that information is now available and they're using it to help clean up their alternate list. Again- i hope i'm wrong. best of luck everyone.

So, I'm trying to prepare a back-up plan for "what if I don't get into VCU" which unfortunately, at the moment seems very likely. Here are my options in no particular order:

- Attend St. George's University in Grenada
- Attend Tulane's 1-year masters of Science in Cell & Molecular Bio
- Attend Loyola's 1-year masters of Arts in Medical Sciences

The last two will require me to re-apply to medical school. Anyone one have some advice for me? If you suggest the masters programs, which one do you think is a better program and will give me the best chance of getting in when re-applying? Thanks guys, please keeping the luck coming for VCU though!

So, I'm trying to prepare a back-up plan for "what if I don't get into VCU" which unfortunately, at the moment seems very likely. Here are my options in no particular order:

- Attend St. George's University in Grenada
- Attend Tulane's 1-year masters of Science in Cell & Molecular Bio
- Attend Loyola's 1-year masters of Arts in Medical Sciences

The last two will require me to re-apply to medical school. Anyone one have some advice for me? If you suggest the masters programs, which one do you think is a better program and will give me the best chance of getting in when re-applying? Thanks guys, please keeping the luck coming for VCU though!

Is this your first application cycle?

Cho15, As someone mentioned earlier, try to avoid the Caribbean if at all possible. It will only make it tougher when you try to get a decent residency. I have thoroughly researched this topic and going D.O. would be a much better idea than going offshore. Also, did you apply to RFU's BMS? Their deadline was yesterday, but IF you work hard in that program, it is possible to get into their medschool. Something along the lines of 40% of their BMS class ends up going to CMS. The cheapest option would be to try and improve ur MCAT, thats what im doing. Among the two MS programs that you mentioned, it would be a good idea to surf the postbac forms where you can look at the reviews of your MS programs in the "Rate your SMP" form. Also, I think both of those MS programs have their own threds, so you can try to find someone who's in the programs and ask them more details about it.

hi, im going to be attending mcv this year and i noticed the list of other people from california. im debating whether to drive there or fly there and buy a used car in virginia. anyone else have any ideas or suggestions about what theyre doing. i live an hour east of la by the way.

hello future classmates =)

vcu i choose you! Lmao sorry.

1. Zetabruin, male from los angeles, undergrad ucla
2. Flscribe, female from los angles, undergrad ucsb
3. Danaerys, female from san francisco, undergrad ucsd
4. Karim, theoc47, huntington beach, undergrad long beach state
5. Bahadur, male from orange county, undergrad uc irvine

Last edited:
long time reader, first time poster...OOS female, still waiting. was told (back in may ish) I was in the top 1/4. Now who knows...about to email WC and see what info I can get out of her.

Cho15, As someone mentioned earlier, try to avoid the Caribbean if at all possible. It will only make it tougher when you try to get a decent residency. I have thoroughly researched this topic and going D.O. would be a much better idea than going offshore. Also, did you apply to RFU's BMS? Their deadline was yesterday, but IF you work hard in that program, it is possible to get into their medschool. Something along the lines of 40% of their BMS class ends up going to CMS. The cheapest option would be to try and improve ur MCAT, thats what im doing. Among the two MS programs that you mentioned, it would be a good idea to surf the postbac forms where you can look at the reviews of your MS programs in the "Rate your SMP" form. Also, I think both of those MS programs have their own threds, so you can try to find someone who's in the programs and ask them more details about it.
Cho15, I agree. I applied to a few DO schools and a lot of MD schools. I knew that off shore has much bigger impact on residency, etc, than DO...people actually want to go to DO schools, but it's pretty much a fact that if you go off shore it's bc you didnt get in anywhere else.

This is my first time applying, but I got my BS 3 years ago, did some post bac work, and full time medical job this year, and I do not want to go through this whole thing again (hence why I applied to DO schools also). If I were only a year or so out of college, I would just re-apply to MDs, so that would be my advice.

I have an acceptance at a DO school, and am preparing myself to go there (even though VCU is my dream, more so than my state school, which I am also waitlisted at) and did not get that email about holding acceptances elsewhere...guess they gont look at AACOMS. My DO orientation starts Aug 3, but I will totaly get up and leave if I get into VCU a week later!
Is anyone else still waiting, in at an MD school, but didnt get the email about your other acceptance?
I am majorly stressing out about things. It's not that I dont want to go to DO school, in fact, I really like the philosophy of it, it's mostly that I didnt even hear of DO until like 3 years ago, and have wanted to be a doc my whole life.
Any words of advice from people who are/were in somewhere but still holding out at this stage of the game? I'm starting to look into housing and stuff at the other school, but I can only put things off for so long, ya know?

Sorry my posts are so long...too much going on in my head right now!

Accepted yesterday off the waitlist!!! Virginia, here I come!

OOS female, btw.

:D

congrats, ronicajay and MrSuave!! did you happen to get the second look email? also, Maimonides, any luck with a response from Dr. WC? good to see some movement, hopefully it continues!

congrats, ronicajay and MrSuave!! did you happen to get the second look email? also, Maimonides, any luck with a response from Dr. WC? good to see some movement, hopefully it continues!

I don't recall any second look email, I just read that there was a virtual second look online.

I have an acceptance at a DO school, and am preparing myself to go there (even though VCU is my dream, more so than my state school, which I am also waitlisted at) and did not get that email about holding acceptances elsewhere...guess they gont look at AACOMS. My DO orientation starts Aug 3, but I will totaly get up and leave if I get into VCU a week later!
Is anyone else still waiting, in at an MD school, but didnt get the email about your other acceptance?
I am majorly stressing out about things. It's not that I dont want to go to DO school, in fact, I really like the philosophy of it, it's mostly that I didnt even hear of DO until like 3 years ago, and have wanted to be a doc my whole life.
Any words of advice from people who are/were in somewhere but still holding out at this stage of the game? I'm starting to look into housing and stuff at the other school, but I can only put things off for so long, ya know?

Sorry my posts are so long...too much going on in my head right now!

I am also on the alternate list with an acceptance at a DO. When I asked Dr. WC how this may or may not accept my alternate list status, she said that it's just a way to play fair with allopathic schools. My guess is that they don't have access to AACOMAS information. At this point for me, it's not about MD vs. DO. I just really liked VCU so much better.

Like you Maimonides, the DO program starts August 3rd. If I'm accepted to VCU after that, I don't even know how I'm going to handle the quick transition (housing, moving, traveling, etc.). Good luck!

Hey Everyone! I've decided while sitting on multiple waitlists that my chances are not too great this cycle and have decided to attend the post-bac certificate program at MCV next year while I reapply to med schools. I hope this was a wise decision on my part. The classes will be on the MCV campus so I too am looking at places nearby and within walking distance. I am looking at the Berry Burk building which is 525 E Grace St. and I can't really afford a single bedroom but I think the two-bedroom for $1100 is a good deal and that includes most utilities (I think you only have to pay electric on top of that). If anyone is interested and is not weirded out by rooming with a very nice, 22-yr old, female stranger then let me know!

I'm about to apply to the cert program now, in case I dont get in from the waitlist. Whats another year right?
Too bad there is no tornado face or something...none of the icons work for me.

To those of you who still waiting who got semi-promising news from Dr. WC in the past couple of months-It's definitely worth emailing her and seeing how your odds look now. I was a waitlister and didn't get in until July 18, 2007 which was only about 3 weeks before class started but Dr. WC was very helpful along the way and gave me some hints when I was really close to the top. Actually, I happened to email her the day I was accepted and she told me that I would be getting an acceptance email that afternoon. So don't give up hope, and check in again to see where you stand.

Now I should get back to studying since I take step 1 on Saturday. :oops:

To those of you who still waiting who got semi-promising news from Dr. WC in the past couple of months-It's definitely worth emailing her and seeing how your odds look now. I was a waitlister and didn't get in until July 18, 2007 which was only about 3 weeks before class started but Dr. WC was very helpful along the way and gave me some hints when I was really close to the top. Actually, I happened to email her the day I was accepted and she told me that I would be getting an acceptance email that afternoon. So don't give up hope, and check in again to see where you stand.

She wasn't too helpful to me. Everytime I e-mail her and I get a response she doesn't seem very helpful. I've asked her multiple times about what my chances are and she continually gives me very vague response like "only time will tell" and "although we did not reach your spot last summer, since there is an increase in medical school spots across the country this may not be indicative". Do you think she's trying to tell me I pretty much have no chance and is just trying to beat around the bush and not say it flat out?

She wasn't too helpful to me. Everytime I e-mail her and I get a response she doesn't seem very helpful. I've asked her multiple times about what my chances are and she continually gives me very vague response like "only time will tell" and "although we did not reach your spot last summer, since there is an increase in medical school spots across the country this may not be indicative". Do you think she's trying to tell me I pretty much have no chance and is just trying to beat around the bush and not say it flat out?

No. She's trying to tell you exactly what she is saying: They did not reach your spot last year, so predicting based on history would suggest you're not going to get in. There's nothing else she can tell you, as she is not an oracle that can predict the future.

Start preparing for next year. And don't even consider caribs until you're on your 3rd or 4th cycle.

I just e-mailed Dr. W-C about 2 weeks ago and never heard back but got good news from her about a month ago. They got to my rank last year and I was told to wait until mid-June. I don't want to seem pushy and bother her. I'm actually moving to Richmond this weekend and really loved the school so it would be perfect to hear some good news! Should I e-mail her again? :confused:

No. She's trying to tell you exactly what she is saying: They did not reach your spot last year, so predicting based on history would suggest you're not going to get in. There's nothing else she can tell you, as she is not an oracle that can predict the future.

Start preparing for next year. And don't even consider caribs until you're on your 3rd or 4th cycle.

I understand that she can't predict the future. It just would have been nice if she said that something more difinitive, like "the chances you will be accepted off the waitlist are slim". I know history suggests that I'm probably not going to get in, but there's a difference between being near where they reached last year and way off. Why tell me about the increase in medical school spots if it probably wouldn't matter for me? Oh and in general, is there any point in me sending in supplemental information ie. updated transcript, additional recs etc... at this point?

Also, is the caribbean really that horrible?

Does anyone still need a female roommate? I've kind of put off finding a roommate and I think it's about time I found one haha. I'm a 22 (soon to be 23) year old female from California. I'm courteous, quiet, and clean and am looking for a roomie that also shares those qualities. From what I've seen on this thread, I am interested in living in the Fan or somewhere safe. You can just PM me if you're interested. Thanks!

I decided not to drive anymore. i figured its not worth it although some friends offered to take the drive with me but 4600 miles is just too long.. i started looking at used cars around richmond. check carmax.com, and autotrader.com you will find some good deals there. hope this helps..

see ya in august :)

Question for you guys. Is there any point in me sending in supplemental information ie. updated transcript, additional recs etc... at this point? I have received so-so news from WC.

Also, is the caribbean really that horrible? <-- EDIT

*EDIT: After hours of thinking and researching I have decided not to attend SGU. I'm going to take the advice of many SDNers and use it as a last last resort. For me personally, USMD>USDO>FMD. So, I will at least try to re-apply one more time to MD schools. That being said, my choice of SMP's are Tulane or Loyola. I am conflicted because I can't seem to figure out which program is better. Any thoughts? (Also, please don't forget my first question about supplemental info to VCU)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.