-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2009-2010 Albany Medical College Application Thread
Started by shemarty
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
I have searched up and down through Albany's website for information about when class starts/ orientation week. I recently got my admissions packet, after getting accepted through email YAY!!! There's no information in there about when classes start, or orientation dates, nothing on the website either.
Can anyone help me with this information?
Thanks in advance
This is from the Facebook group--
"So I actually broke down and called AMC. The lady on the phone told me the same thing about orientation--she said it was August 11th and 12th, but she wasn't sure about Friday the 13th. And school starts Monday the 16th. As far as the tablet computer goes, apparently they still don't have the specifications finalized but will probably know in a few weeks."
I hope that helps! It does seem like it's pretty hard to find this information without calling. Haha.
Congrats, btw!!!
do you guys think if there will be decent amount of WL movement at Albany this year?
Right now there's not a wait list as far as I know, only the UC list. But that's basically the waitlist. Already there has been movement on it (in fact, I think there was some back in February). If we go by past years' threads, a bunch of people will be accepted in the next few weeks, the wait list will be formed, then more people will be accepted off that.
I heard last year something like 45 of 90 were accepted from the waitlist. Note that this is the waitlist, NOT the UC list which probably comprises more people. But the year before that apparently 1 or 2 were accepted from the waitlist. Again, this is after people have been accepted from the UC list which probably do not count.
So it's a crapshoot.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
does anyone know USMLE scores for AMC or have any thoughtful estimate of what they might be? I know they don't release them... perhaps because its not a strength?
I don't think that is information that they make available, and I also think it's useless data. What I do know is that in the past 2 years AMC has bought licensing rights to use old Step 1 questions in exams for 1st and 2nd years. Many of our 2nd year exams were exclusively Step 1-style questions, giving us a feel for the style of question that we would see on Step 1, and allowing us to gear our studying toward Step 1 material and a little less toward some of the esoteric information occasionally provided in lectures. We were given plenty of time to study (you need absolutely at maximum 6 weeks). I personally felt very prepared and did 4 weeks of studying and got a very competitive score. Most of my good friends were also very happy with their scores, including the ones looking at competitive specialties such as ortho or ENT. I'm sure some people did poorly. Your step 1 score is very dependent on the work you are willing to put in. You will all have the same resources, and scores in any given class will range from barely passing into the 260s.
I don't think that is information that they make available, and I also think it's useless data. What I do know is that in the past 2 years AMC has bought licensing rights to use old Step 1 questions in exams for 1st and 2nd years. Many of our 2nd year exams were exclusively Step 1-style questions, giving us a feel for the style of question that we would see on Step 1, and allowing us to gear our studying toward Step 1 material and a little less toward some of the esoteric information occasionally provided in lectures. We were given plenty of time to study (you need absolutely at maximum 6 weeks). I personally felt very prepared and did 4 weeks of studying and got a very competitive score. Most of my good friends were also very happy with their scores, including the ones looking at competitive specialties such as ortho or ENT. I'm sure some people did poorly. Your step 1 score is very dependent on the work you are willing to put in. You will all have the same resources, and scores in any given class will range from barely passing into the 260s.
Agreed. At AMC all class materials and lectures are available online, you have ample access to sample USMLE questions, plus there are tons of review materials from Kaplan, First Aid, BRS, etc. The review series publishers sample from students who have taken the exams and find out what topics were covered most and focus on those things so that all the study materials are high yield. These days it does not matter what school you go to, you have access to every resource you could possibly need so your scores are dependent on your ability and work ethic.
Does anyone know or remember how anatomy lab works at AMC? People per body, how it's tested/graded, etc?
Unless they've changed this in the past 2 years this is how it was my first year: 6 people per cadaver divided into 3 teams of 2. You and your partner will do every 3rd dissection. For example: During the musckuloskeletal theme there are 3 dissections per week, so you will dissect on either Mon, Wed, or Fri. If you dissect on Monday, you and your partner will present your dissection to your team on Wednesday. You and your partner will then leave and your team will take a short quiz based on your teaching. These quizzes make up a fairly small component of your final grade. A larger part of your grade for any given theme will come from the anatomy practical. During these the instructors will tag structures on the different cadavers and you will have to ID the structure, describe its innervation, etc. In most units a question on the practical has the same weight as a question on the multiple choice exams given during the units so depending on the amount of anatomy in a given unit it can be a fairly significant part of your overall grade.
Thanks! Any chance you or anyone else also knows if its common to go to classes (or if people change based on personal preference whether they go or not), and how much time class/labs (attendance required and not really) are typical during the first two years?
Everyone is different. Some people never miss class, and others never go at all. I personally am pretty transient. If there are lecturers or topics I really like I go but it's nice to have that flexibility. Sometimes I'll do other stuff during the day like follow a physician in a specialty I just want to check out and later that night I can go back and listen to that days lectures online. Some people watch lecture in bed in in real time. I've actually been at home listening to lectures and then called someone in class to get them to ask a question for me. The only required stuff is dissection, healthcare and society, evidence based medicine, and clinical skills. All your organ system and histology lab stuff you can get online if you want. You usually have one or two required classes per week and you always have at least one afternoon free. Most classes are an hour. Dissection and clinical skills usually run about 2-3 hours.
Thank you Hospitalist2b and others. I've spent the last two weeks trying to decide between Buffalo and AMC. I prefer AMC (Albany is a really cool place and AMC seems great), but not enough for the difference in cost.
I'm withdrawing from AMC today. I hope someone waiting gets a spot. I would have been ecstatic to attend AMC, so I imagine someone else will be too!
I'm withdrawing from AMC today. I hope someone waiting gets a spot. I would have been ecstatic to attend AMC, so I imagine someone else will be too!
Congratulations suenya!
Wish you all the best
Wish you all the best
gah, well may 15 has come and gone and i'm really trying to refrain from harassing the admissions office to ask about the status of the wait list, etc.
have any of the other UC kids out there heard some news yet?
have any of the other UC kids out there heard some news yet?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i thought they were supposed to create a wait list from the UC applicants after may 15
There isn't really any kind of difference between their waitlist and their UC list. You get a ranking, and if you're above a position on that ranking then you get in. They constantly move the position down as they go through the season (lower ranked people get accepted). Whether they call it UC or waitlist is arbitrary. That said, it might change to waitlist at some point. But again, it's meaningless.
Perhaps someone could check out the old threads to see when it changed.
i thought they were supposed to create a wait list from the UC applicants after may 15
I've heard through the grapevine that it could take up to a week following the May 15th deadline for the school to gather their final numbers, and then they'll start plucking people off their UC list, which makes sense. I'm feeling the anticipation/frustration like all of you guys are... But we just have to stay patient, hope that helps a little
I had to withdraw my acceptance from AMC yesterday on receiving acceptance to SUNY Downstate. The cost difference is huge, but more importantly I wanted my wife and I to be able to study in the same city. Albany looked great, but I'm sure my spot will go to someone who can enjoy it more. Best of luck to everyone waiting, and/or beginning studies this fall.
Does anyone know when the health forms are due? I've been trying to contact them to find out, but no luck so far.
I finally got through to the correct person regarding the health forms last week after being transferred through about 5 different people. You need to make an appointment 1+ week(s) before orientation at AMC and they go through the forms with you and do the physical there. Hope that helps! If you call admissions they should eventually be able to connect you with the right department to make your appointment....Good luck!
I finally got through to the correct person regarding the health forms last week after being transferred through about 5 different people. You need to make an appointment 1+ week(s) before orientation at AMC and they go through the forms with you and do the physical there. Hope that helps! If you call admissions they should eventually be able to connect you with the right department to make your appointment....Good luck!
Oh, are you from NY? Do you know if the physical/titer/etc HAS to be done at AMC? I thought it kind of looked like I could get that stuff done elsewhere and mail the forms in. I'm from CA and I'm not sure how long before orientation I'll be moving.
Oh, are you from NY? Do you know if the physical/titer/etc HAS to be done at AMC? I thought it kind of looked like I could get that stuff done elsewhere and mail the forms in. I'm from CA and I'm not sure how long before orientation I'll be moving.
Nope I'm from the West Coast too--she let me make an appointment on the Friday before orientation so they will probably be able to accommodate you as well. It sort of seemed like everything needed to be done at AMC but I could definitely be wrong about that.
Nope I'm from the West Coast too--she let me make an appointment on the Friday before orientation so they will probably be able to accommodate you as well. It sort of seemed like everything needed to be done at AMC but I could definitely be wrong about that.
Thanks for letting me know! I actually just got another acceptance 3 hours ago and I have a week to decide, but I'm almost 100% sure I'm withdrawing from AMC. I hope someone on here is offered my spot!
Oh, are you from NY? Do you know if the physical/titer/etc HAS to be done at AMC? I thought it kind of looked like I could get that stuff done elsewhere and mail the forms in. I'm from CA and I'm not sure how long before orientation I'll be moving.
As far a I know they haven't changed the procedure. You can have your physical and titers done anywhere and just have everything sent here. I thought it was much easier to do that. If you are at another institution it is worth it to just go to student health make an appointment and get it over with now.
Just letting you guys know that I emailed AMC to let them know that I am withdrawing from the class, but they haven't confirmed yet. I hope one of you gets my spot! 🙂
How did you guys find out about the health forms-were they mailed?? thanks!
Yeah, it gets mailed to you from Albany Medical Center in a manila envelope. 🙂
Just called today. The class is currently FULL, and they are working on creating the WL. Notifications are expected to be sent out today or tomorrow at the latest...Good luck everyone.
🙁
Just accepted this morning, going to withdraw in a few minutes. Loved the school, just not right for me currently.
Hope someone with no acceptances sitting in their room biting their fingernails and stressed major gets the spot I free up.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just accepted this morning, going to withdraw in a few minutes. Loved the school, just not right for me currently.
Hope someone with no acceptances sitting in their room biting their fingernails and stressed major gets the spot I free up.
yeaaaaaaa
Just called today. The class is currently FULL, and they are working on creating the WL. Notifications are expected to be sent out today or tomorrow at the latest...Good luck everyone.
I just missed a call from Albany admissions office. Has anyone else received a phone call? I tried calling back but had to leave a message.

I just missed a call from Albany admissions office. Has anyone else received a phone call? I tried calling back but had to leave a message.![]()
Really? It's 5:30pm in Albany right now. Seems like a late time to call.
Really? It's 5:30pm in Albany right now. Seems like a late time to call.
They called and left a message at 4:11 pm Albany time. I'm really really hoping this is good news.
just got told to go to the login portal to sign up for the alternate list
but then it says the time perioud to sign up for the alternate list has passed (7 days) but I got the email 10 mins ago?
Anyone else having this issue?
THX
but then it says the time perioud to sign up for the alternate list has passed (7 days) but I got the email 10 mins ago?
Anyone else having this issue?
THX
They said the programming staff will take care of it this afternoon and I'll be able to respond!
Good luck all.
P.S.
Did anyone get off the UC list this week, the wording of the email explaining that the "class is full" makes me think not.
Thanks
Good luck all.
P.S.
Did anyone get off the UC list this week, the wording of the email explaining that the "class is full" makes me think not.
Thanks
Just accepted this morning, going to withdraw in a few minutes. Loved the school, just not right for me currently.
Hope someone with no acceptances sitting in their room biting their fingernails and stressed major gets the spot I free up.
Did they email or call you for your acceptance? I received a voice mail yesterday from the admissions office. I'm wondering if they called to ask if I am still interested & to inform me that I am placed on the waitlist...or if it is really good news. I sure hope they don't call to reject people. I currently have no MD acceptances and would absolutely love to attend Albany. This is definitely a nail-biter day. Please tell me good news...
Did they email or call you for your acceptance? I received a voice mail yesterday from the admissions office. I'm wondering if they called to ask if I am still interested & to inform me that I am placed on the waitlist...or if it is really good news. I sure hope they don't call to reject people. I currently have no MD acceptances and would absolutely love to attend Albany. This is definitely a nail-biter day. Please tell me good news...
1. I'm 100% sure they don't call people to reject them.
2. It's possible they have a question about your application.
Anyone else get this alternate list email?
Am I all alone here?
Am I all alone here?
Anyone else get this alternate list email?
Am I all alone here?
im also on the alternate list
alternate list as well
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, so I called admissions today to inquire about movement. They said that they have a few folks that are accepted that are holding multiple acceptances atm and they have a week to make their decision. Depending on that, people may be pulled off the alternate list sometime next week... I probably should have asked how many people are holding multiples. Anyway, I hope that helps/gives hopes to some of you in my position!
Does anyone have or know where it's posted the 2010 Match List for Albany?
This is probably really annoying but I can't quickly find the answer anywhere. I know Albany says they don't accept additional material like letters/transcripts, however I was wondering if this changes if you're on their alternate list. I'm a graduate student finishing up an MS and was hoping to send a transcript and maybe and Letter of Intent. Anyone know what the deal is?
Hey guys, I got accepted here this morning by email. I know that you have to be accepted to fill out the financial aid forms, so I'm going to try to do that today.
Does anyone know how long we have to decide if we want this spot since it's after the 15th? I'm probably going to withdrawal due to cost, but I'd at least like to verify that I would have to pay the full sticker price.
I was really pleasantly surprised this morning. I got put on the UC list back in December and I haven't really thought about this school since. I remember liking the atmosphere of the school a lot 🙂
Does anyone know how long we have to decide if we want this spot since it's after the 15th? I'm probably going to withdrawal due to cost, but I'd at least like to verify that I would have to pay the full sticker price.
I was really pleasantly surprised this morning. I got put on the UC list back in December and I haven't really thought about this school since. I remember liking the atmosphere of the school a lot 🙂
They say that but I know that if you send them something, they will put it in your file anyway.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K