2009-2010 East Tennessee University (Quillen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on the interviews! When were your secondaries complete?

Members don't see this ad.

You guys are killing me...I sent the secondary back the day I received it, but I can't seem to get the pre-health professions advisory office to upload my LOR :mad:. I wasn't too worried about it until I saw that they're already sending out interview invites.

I am in the same position as you are. I have submitted my secondaries to both UT and ETSU but have not received an interview invite because my school has not submitted the composite packet yet. I am so worried :eek: just hoping that they would send it within a couple of weeks.

Congrats on the interviews! When were your secondaries complete?

I don't even remember. A couple days after they first sent it out. Probably three or four weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview invitation yesterday via email around noon. I was complete on August4th. Good luck!

Oh yeah, my interview date is September 29. Any others with that date?

Interview invite yesterday also. I'm interviewing on Sept. 28. I was complete around Aug. 10th.

Hey guys, current Quillenite here. Just reading through your posts and thought I would make some comments out of personal experience. There was some talk about Quillen not accepting many people with 30+ MCAT, and this is not true. 30+, 35+, even 40+ get in here. One of the things Quillen selects for, and places EXTREMELY HIGH EMPHASIS ON, is your ability to be a part of and work with a team. If they sense you are an ultra-gunner who will not work with anybody and thinks they are all that (not to generalize, but are sometimes characteristics of MCAT 30+ people) you won't get in here. They want team players who will work with their classmate, help each other out (rather than sabotage each other which DOES happen at some school) and view each other as partners rather than competitors for residency spots. That's one of the things that attracted me here, I can ask any classmate for help without fear of getting snubbed or given false information. If you have an MCAT 30+ and you are a team player, your golden. If, however, you are unable/unwilling to work with others, ultra competitive to the detriment of others, or an all around jerk, you could have a 45 MCAT, 4.0 GPA, and all the other great application stuff and won't stand a chance here.

Also, while Quillen does place emphasis on primary care and rural medicine, it is not the only thing they do. If you look at the match you will see that graduates match in every specialty imaginable. The education you receive here is geared towards ALL specialties, not just primary care. There are, however, a lot of activities and extras you can do here if you are interested in primary care or rural medicine.

Lastly, if you get an interview here, they are looking for you to be genuine. Believe me, these interviewers have been doing this along time and can tell if you are being genuine or are just feeding them answers you think they want to hear. So if you are lucky enough to get an interview, don't blow it by being fake. Be yourself and if you are a fit for Quillen you will get in.

Hey current pre-Quilleners!

I thought that I would post a note to any OOS students who had questions; I'm an M1 this year who got in as non-military and out-of-state. Good luck with the admission process and if you have any questions feel free to ask me!

Oh, and Amanda and Stephanie Cole in admissions are the most wonderful people in the world; they will help you with anything you need, so don't be afraid to just call and ask!

Hey current pre-Quilleners!

I thought that I would post a note to any OOS students who had questions; I'm an M1 this year who got in as non-military and out-of-state. Good luck with the admission process and if you have any questions feel free to ask me!

Oh, and Amanda and Stephanie Cole in admissions are the most wonderful people in the world; they will help you with anything you need, so don't be afraid to just call and ask!

If you don't mind posting, what were your stats when you applied? And is a 3.3 and 29 too low for OOS applicant to be considered here?

Received my interview invitation today - was complete 8/27. First interview, and it's my current undergraduate institution, so it will also undoubtedly be my cheapest interview to boot.

Well, tomorrow is the first admissions committee meeting! For those of us fortunate enough to interview in the last 3 weeks or so, good luck!

got a status update today (i've already interviewed) saying my application has been put on hold. I think this is good news as they can only reject people untill oct 15th.

I heard it was a really good sign you are going to be accepted if you get put on hold for further review before oct 15th, but can anyone confirm this?

I got the same update by email yesterday. From my interview, I thought that it was at least neutral news to be put on hold until Oct. 15th, but hopefully good. Let us know if you find anything out. I guess the real answer will be if we get a certified letter shortly after the 15th or not! :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the deal with the October 15th deadline? Is that only for people that have already interviewed?

What is the deal with the October 15th deadline? Is that only for people that have already interviewed?

I could be wrong, but I think that this is the date when schools can start sending acceptances...before that date, they're only allowed to give rejections.

Got the invite today! =D
SR:8/7
SS: 8/14
Complete: 8/18
II: 9/23

Does anyone know if there is any student hosting?

I have my first interview at Quillen on Tuesday (9/29) and I am very nervous! Any advice from those that have interviewed? Thanks so much!

Relax. Mr. Taylor will say it all day, but it really is important to relax. I was nervous for no reason going into my interviews, and they were definitely not nerve-wracking. Oh, and read the paper/watch the news.

I haven't even received a secondary from them yet, if that makes you feel any better.

Relax and Breath Deep. I know you guys are very anxious. I submitted my application July 31st 2008 and did the secondary in late August 2008. My LORs didn't get loaded until late October 2008 because one of them got lost. I got an interview notification in mid-December for an interview date in mid-February.

Now I am in M1 at Quillen who just took my 4th Gross Anatomy exam this morning. I know it is hard to not stress out after all the effort you have put in until this point. I just wanted you to see that even though I submitted in July it took a LONG time to close the door on the whole application process. It is worth it though! Good luck to everyone!

I could be wrong, but I think that this is the date when schools can start sending acceptances...before that date, they're only allowed to give rejections.

I don't think this is correct.

I know of someone who EDP. They have interviewed and just received an acceptance letter at Quillen for next fall.

Hey guys, current Quillenite here. Just reading through your posts and thought I would make some comments out of personal experience. There was some talk about Quillen not accepting many people with 30+ MCAT, and this is not true. 30+, 35+, even 40+ get in here. One of the things Quillen selects for, and places EXTREMELY HIGH EMPHASIS ON, is your ability to be a part of and work with a team. If they sense you are an ultra-gunner who will not work with anybody and thinks they are all that (not to generalize, but are sometimes characteristics of MCAT 30+ people) you won't get in here. They want team players who will work with their classmate, help each other out (rather than sabotage each other which DOES happen at some school) and view each other as partners rather than competitors for residency spots. That's one of the things that attracted me here, I can ask any classmate for help without fear of getting snubbed or given false information. If you have an MCAT 30+ and you are a team player, your golden. If, however, you are unable/unwilling to work with others, ultra competitive to the detriment of others, or an all around jerk, you could have a 45 MCAT, 4.0 GPA, and all the other great application stuff and won't stand a chance here.

Also, while Quillen does place emphasis on primary care and rural medicine, it is not the only thing they do. If you look at the match you will see that graduates match in every specialty imaginable. The education you receive here is geared towards ALL specialties, not just primary care. There are, however, a lot of activities and extras you can do here if you are interested in primary care or rural medicine.

Lastly, if you get an interview here, they are looking for you to be genuine. Believe me, these interviewers have been doing this along time and can tell if you are being genuine or are just feeding them answers you think they want to hear. So if you are lucky enough to get an interview, don't blow it by being fake. Be yourself and if you are a fit for Quillen you will get in.

This is SO TRUE!

I don't think this is correct.

I know of someone who EDP. They have interviewed and just received an acceptance letter at Quillen for next fall.

I just thought that, at least for regular decision applications, schools couldn't accept people until sometime in October...could easily be wrong, though.

non edp acceptances cannot go out until october 15th. aamc rules

For those who has already interviewed, where did you guys stay? I don't see any sites for student hosting and I'd really like a good recommendation for a good place to stay at. Thank yoU!

Is anyone flying into the Tricity airport? What's the best (cheapest) way to get to campus from there?

For those who has already interviewed, where did you guys stay? I don't see any sites for student hosting and I'd really like a good recommendation for a good place to stay at. Thank yoU!

While I didn't stay at a hotel (I stayed with a friend who is currently at Quillen), there is a Red Roof Inn that is only like 2.5 miles from campus on Broyles Street. While there might be some place a little closer, the Red Roof Inn will definitely be a very cheap option. I've heard good things about it as well (basic but clean).

Good luck with interviews!

Thank you, Scotsdoc!!

Have any oos students received invites? Is so, when were you complete?

Ok....so I guess this thread is dead...for any lurking oos students out there, just wanted to give you the hope I never got, (thanks fellow sdners, lol)....

I GOT AN INTERVIEW INVITE TODAY!!!

Completed like Sept 14th...

Ok....so I guess this thread is dead...for any lurking oos students out there, just wanted to give you the hope I never got, (thanks fellow sdners, lol)....

Congrats!

Congratulations!

The thread isn't dead. Those that have interviewed already are just holding our breath until sometime after the 15th. :laugh:

Accepted!

via snail mail... no email yet

Congrats! I've been at work all day, so I'm hoping I come home to good news.

Thanks yal.

Congrats to the future docs!!! Hopefully I'll join yal in another month or so...:D

Hi,
I am a 4th year here to answer some questions and help ease some of your worries.

Good grades will help you get in. but the rest of the application plays a major role as well. thus low grades are also accepted.

Quillen is not geared towards rural care. In fact only 10% each year take that track. We are just better at it than most places; mostly because we have plenty of rural spots. That does not mean you have to be interested in rural or primary care. Do what you want and say what you mean - that is your best chance at enjoying your school of choice.

When I applied as an OOS I didn't turn in my application until Oct 15th and waited to turn in my secondary till the dead line. My grades and MCAT are average but I have a lot of other experiences.
I interviewed in Feb and was accepted in March. On my interview day 3 others (2 OOS and on IS) out of 5 total got accepted. So it’s never too late.

Staying with a student is possible - all you have to do is ask. Email the school before you get here and they will find a host for you. There is no formal program but it can still be done.

if you are staying in a hotel there are several motels around but only one hotel that is a bit nicer - its called The Carnegie and prices are not that bad $125-200 depending on the date but I think they have a free shuttle to and from the airport.

Living in this part of the country is great - really cheap and tons of outdoor fun.

I have nothing but good things to say about this school. They helped me make this a great experience that I enjoyed and would recommend to anyone.

I am happy to answer any questions you have about the school, the area or anything else.

So, I have a question for you Quillenites. I interviewed at at QCOM last year and was placed on the hold list until August 7, when I got a rejection e-mail :( . I've since reapplied but haven't heard anything back yet. Do you guys have any advice for my second time around?

GPA: 3.65
MCAT: 28K

Oh, and I'll also have my MPH this coming December if that helps!

So, I have a question for you Quillenites. I interviewed at at QCOM last year and was placed on the hold list until August 7, when I got a rejection e-mail :( . I've since reapplied but haven't heard anything back yet. Do you guys have any advice for my second time around?

GPA: 3.65
MCAT: 28K

Oh, and I'll also have my MPH this coming December if that helps!

I am not in medical school yet but I am keeping my fingers crossed for Quillen. I have some perspective on your questions if I may.

I am a re-applicant to Quillen and have stayed in close contact with the admissions counselor over the years. Their advice to me was that my numbers are fine we just need to see a commitment to medicine. Find something that you like to do and be passionate about it. I was given the example of someone who loves to fish. If you love to fish, you do it as often as possible. So if you love medicine and are passionate about it, then you'll be around it as often as possible.

When the admissions committee looks at a re-applicant, they have the old and the new applications side by side for comparison. They look at what has changed since last cycle and determine how you're pursuing your goals. I can reaffirm the statement above that Quillen isn't screening purely on grades and MCAT scores. They look at an entire applicant and care about knowing what type of person you are. They project that vibe throughout the interview day which impressed me.

I am not in medical school yet but I am keeping my fingers crossed for Quillen. I have some perspective on your questions if I may.

I am a re-applicant to Quillen and have stayed in close contact with the admissions counselor over the years. Their advice to me was that my numbers are fine we just need to see a commitment to medicine. Find something that you like to do and be passionate about it. I was given the example of someone who loves to fish. If you love to fish, you do it as often as possible. So if you love medicine and are passionate about it, then you'll be around it as often as possible.

When the admissions committee looks at a re-applicant, they have the old and the new applications side by side for comparison. They look at what has changed since last cycle and determine how you're pursuing your goals. I can reaffirm the statement above that Quillen isn't screening purely on grades and MCAT scores. They look at an entire applicant and care about knowing what type of person you are. They project that vibe throughout the interview day which impressed me.

Thanks! That helps a lot. If anything, between last year's and this year's application, I showed myself following through with several goals that I had set out for myself. I hope they look fondly upon it.

Woohoo! Got my acceptance on Friday 10/16! I'm really pumped!:D

Good luck to all those still waiting on Quillen, and congrats to those who've been accepted!

Woohoo! Got my acceptance on Friday 10/16! I'm really pumped!:D

Good luck to all those still waiting on Quillen, and congrats to those who've been accepted!

congrats! we might end up being classmates

Congrats to those accepted! I would love to be accepted here too. When did you guys interview and how did you get the acceptance? Email or snail mail? Just want to know when I might receive a response from them. Thanks!

Thanks! I think we might have interviewed together at ETSU. Did you interview on the 9th?

Honestly, I don't remember when I interviewed. It was either the eighth or the ninth. I remember it was raining and they gave us umbrellas to walk to the bus that we took to JCMS.

Congrats to those accepted! I would love to be accepted here too. When did you guys interview and how did you get the acceptance? Email or snail mail? Just want to know when I might receive a response from them. Thanks!

My acceptance was snail mail, haven't recieved an email from them.

Scotsdoc, I think we interviewed together at Kentucky Saturday. Am I wrong? Congrats on the Acceptance! I just got notified today of a waitlist here...wtf! I thought my interviews went great. Any thoughts on what could have happened? 3.9/32... I feel so crushed. Third waitlist...

We did interview together! I was really impressed with UK.

I'm sorry to hear about the waitlist, but honestly, I would put money on it that you come off of it. We're almost identical in stats/EC (it's kind of scary!). If ETSU is your top choice, you might consider writing a letter of intent. I definitely think that would help you out. You've still got UT-Memphis to look forward to as well. Hopefully that decision will come this week or next. I am jealous of your Wake Forest interview invite though. They've ignored me.:(

Good luck!

Hold status email today. Guess I will have to wait awhile on this one. :(

Same news for me today. I'm rather pooped to say it mildly.

I'm wondering how many people were in our review pool. In my group there were 4 people (3 IS, 1 OOS) with 2 traditional and 2 non-traditional applicants.

G.S. what were your stats coming in? I was a 3.5/30 with ongoing 75hr/week EMS experience.

We did interview together! I was really impressed with UK.

I'm sorry to hear about the waitlist, but honestly, I would put money on it that you come off of it. We're almost identical in stats/EC (it's kind of scary!). If ETSU is your top choice, you might consider writing a letter of intent. I definitely think that would help you out. You've still got UT-Memphis to look forward to as well. Hopefully that decision will come this week or next. I am jealous of your Wake Forest interview invite though. They've ignored me.:(

Good luck!

I thought UK was pretty awesome as well. In fact, I've been impressed with every school so far. Did the interview coordinator at UT-Mem tell you that she may send us an email when the letter is coming out? Maybe we'll hear something, maybe we won't lol. Also, I have a friend who was on Wake Forest hold until the last time the committee met when they gave him an interview. I think they actually use their hold list so don't count it out yet! I'm jealous of your Quillen acceptance!

Status
Not open for further replies.