2009-2010 East Tennessee University (Quillen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
got post interview hold e-mail status on Sept the 21st; did not get any updates about my status since then. Didn't I have to receive any other e-mail about my status after October the 15th?....anybody knows how these things work, I am kinda new here...

Members don't see this ad.

RocknAction: I liked UK a lot. The OOS tuition is something I don't like as much. I guess we'll have to see how things play out though. Also, I'm unsure about the UT-Memphis email. I don't remember that being said, but that doesn't mean it wasn't said. I just thought the decision was being sent via certified mail (acceptance, rejection, and waitlist all being sent that way).

Good luck to everyone! Don't get down about the waitlist though. The early interviews mean they are definitely interested in you guys!

got post interview hold e-mail status on Sept the 21st; did not get any updates about my status since then. Didn't I have to receive any other e-mail about my status after October the 15th?....anybody knows how these things work, I am kinda new here...

The commitee meets once a month or so and will only notify you if there is a change in status. Don't expect an email every time they meet.
Registered mail means acceptance.
good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my acceptance letter in the mail today! - was certified mail, as many people had mentioned it would be.

IS, complete in August, interviewed on 9/30. Whee!! :)

Congratulations Dondums! I interviewed on the same day as you. I can't wait to go back home today to get my letter. Hopefully, I get a letter. Congrats again! Do you live in Nashville?

Last edited:
Congratulations Dondums! I interviewed on the same day as you. I can't wait to go back home today to get my letter. Hopefully, I get a letter. Congrats again! Do you live in Nashville?

Thanks!

The letter was mailed to Jonesborough, TN - about 10-15 minutes away from Quillen, so the postal service worked to my advantage.

Thanks!

The letter was mailed to Jonesborough, TN - about 10-15 minutes away from Quillen, so the postal service worked to my advantage.

Hey, I remember talking to you! And yay, really happy for you! Yeah, no mail from Quillen was waiting for me. I went home to a rejection letter from another school instead. Hopefully, I'll get something today =) Thanks for responding.

Same news for me today. I'm rather pooped to say it mildly.

I'm wondering how many people were in our review pool. In my group there were 4 people (3 IS, 1 OOS) with 2 traditional and 2 non-traditional applicants.

G.S. what were your stats coming in? I was a 3.5/30 with ongoing 75hr/week EMS experience.

No worries equios. Mr. Taylor said that we should expect a hold status if we did well in the interviews. Sure it's not the greatest news but it's not a rejection.

There were 5 people total on my interview day (Sept 28th), all in-state.

As for my stats, I'll just say I am around the average for Quillen to maintain anonymity. Quillen is my first choice and I would drop the deposit off 15 minutes after hearing good news. :thumbup:

Got the acceptance letter yesterday! Interviewed 9/29. I am in Knoxville so if you are farther away from Quillen it may be a few days I guess. Good luck everyone!

Any one close to Quillen willing to put up an interviewee for one night. I am quickly running out of cash! Ahh, this is such an expensive process! Just PM me if possible.

Any one close to Quillen willing to put up an interviewee for one night. I am quickly running out of cash! Ahh, this is such an expensive process! Just PM me if possible.

Bump...

Spoonbig21: Have you tried calling admissions and seeing if they have a student host program, or at least whether they have students willing to put someone up? I'm sure if you called they would at least look for you. If all else fails, the Red Roof Inn near campus is real cheap. I'll look and see if I know any current students who are willing to help out as well...

Members don't see this ad :)
Spoonbig21: Have you tried calling admissions and seeing if they have a student host program, or at least whether they have students willing to put someone up? I'm sure if you called they would at least look for you. If all else fails, the Red Roof Inn near campus is real cheap. I'll look and see if I know any current students who are willing to help out as well...

I really appreciate your help! I actually interviewed yesterday so I ended up going to the red roof inn you mentioned. :) I figured asking so close to the interview day I may not be successful in finding someone. Thanks again though!

I really appreciate your help! I actually interviewed yesterday so I ended up going to the red roof inn you mentioned. :) I figured asking so close to the interview day I may not be successful in finding someone. Thanks again though!

Hey no problem. I'm sorry for not checking the thread sooner. How'd the interview go? Impressions? I hope it went well, and good luck!

Hey no problem. I'm sorry for not checking the thread sooner. How'd the interview go? Impressions? I hope it went well, and good luck!

It went really well, I was very impressed with the school and am hoping to here good news! :xf:

I got a letter of rejection from this school again this year. :(
I had hoped this would be my lucky year here, but I guess I still have 4 other applications out.

Bad times, Xslim, Here's hoping that it works out for you man.

GS: Amen on the update of the statistics!

Has everyone been sending thank you letters to the interviewers? If so, how did you get it to them? Thanks!

Has everyone been sending thank you letters to the interviewers? If so, how did you get it to them? Thanks!

No I don't think it's necessary. In my opinion it's a little brown noser-ish. No offense to those who do it all the time. :D

It's nice to send them a little something. People like being appreciated afterall. For me, I just emailed them a short note a few days later. Email gets to them the quickest but you do risk it not being read. Right after the interview would be ideal.

I got a letter of rejection from this school again this year. :(
I had hoped this would be my lucky year here, but I guess I still have 4 other applications out.

I just got a letter of rejection in the mail today too. I really don't understand this, I'm IS and my MCAT is 10B, 10P, 9V and I have a 3.8 gpa with pretty good EC's. I guess maybe my MCAT was too low or I completed my application too late (september).

I just got a letter of rejection in the mail today too. I really don't understand this, I'm IS and my MCAT is 10B, 10P, 9V and I have a 3.8 gpa with pretty good EC's. I guess maybe my MCAT was too low or I completed my application too late (september).

I'm so sorry to hear that, you guys. Could you call the school and find out? I know I was wondering that as well when I applied and didn't get into my state school. It would definitely feel better to know why..so sorry again, you guys.

Well crap... I have the exact same stats 3.8 with 29 (same sub scores) MCAT... I am out of state as well. I hope my business grad degree/being older helps.

I haven't been rejected, but I haven't gotten a secondary either.

Oh well... Best of luck to you AuburnO5.

I am sorry to hear that. I hope you get in to other schools that you have been interviewed. I am instate too and pretty much with the same MCAT and GPA. I was interviewed a week ago. I am really sacred now. :scared:

I am sorry to hear that. I hope you get in to other schools that you have been interviewed. I am instate too and pretty much with the same MCAT and GPA. I was interviewed a week ago. I am really sacred now. :scared:

How long is is taking for people to receive an interview invite/rejection after secondary is complete? Can anyone who interviewed post the link to the calender that shows when interviews are and committee meetings. (they did it in last years thread). I was complete last week and want to know if I have a shot before christmas for a interview?
Thanks

How long is is taking for people to receive an interview invite/rejection after secondary is complete? Can anyone who interviewed post the link to the calender that shows when interviews are and committee meetings. (they did it in last years thread). I was complete last week and want to know if I have a shot before christmas for a interview?
Thanks
My secondary at ETSU was complete in mid july but my application was not complete until mid september. I received an interview invite early october and interviewed late october. I am not sure what days they interview but the committee meets once a month. Someone can check me on this.

I was told the committee meets at the end of each month. Decisions should arrive at the beginning of each month.

For my batch, the committee met on the Oct 20th. And decision letters were mailed out that very same day.

Quick question to those who accepted the offer. Other than the $100 deposit, do we have to send in anything else like transcripts? Or do anything? I know they said to authorize the people who're doing the criminal check. That is all, right?

During my interview, I believe Dean Taylor said that applicants will received either emails or mail after the committee meets. But people on this thread are saying it's been snail mail. Also , do you guys know if they actually call the applicants to notify them of acceptances? Thanks.

Kneige: Nope, just the 100 dollar deposit through the online acceptance form thingy. Obviously you'll have to send final transcripts later on, but it's not required to hold a spot. Just the deposit.

cqull2288: When I received my acceptance, I got it through snail mail. I did receive an email saying I had been placed on an active hold list, but all applicants that interview and go before committee (and are not flat out rejected) before October 15th receive that note. October 15th was the earliest day to receive notification of acceptance, and I got my certified letter on the 16th.

Certified letter = acceptance, email (after Oct. 15) = waitlist/hold, regular letter = rejection. Or at least this is what I've been told.

No phone call

Thanks, Scotsdoc. I just needed to check with someone after I read other schools requesting transcripts. For some reason, no one replied to my email to the admissions.

Hello everyone! I was just wondering if anyone knew how common it is for an OOS applicant to be placed on the hold list first and accepted later? Does the OOS list move quickly? Are they prone to placing people, especially OSS, on hold first this early on? Thanks for any input!

I'm instate and have already been accepted to UT-Memphis, but was put on hold. I was surprised and a little disappointed because it was my first choice. My stats are 3.7/37O--top 20 university.

I'm instate and have already been accepted to UT-Memphis, but was put on hold. I was surprised and a little disappointed because it was my first choice. My stats are 3.7/37O--top 20 university.

Well congrats on the acceptance at UT-Memphis. It seems then that they like to see a larger portion of the applicant pool before making the majority of their decisions on admission. It makes sense.

I got the hold email yesterday :( more waiting :scared: anybody else?

Acceptance came by (scary looking) certified mail today :) Interviewed 10/29, OOS.

Congrats!! IS or OSS? Stats? If you don't mind :)

If you really want to know, look at her (i'm guessing a she) previous posts, below average gpa but 40+ MCAT... and if you read her post again (you may have been really excited and read it too quickly) you'll notice she said OOS

The next committee meeting is on December 14. To all of us on hold, good luck. :luck:

I'm hoping for good news but from the web site it appears that they have already given out all the OOS acceptances! I hope some open up! :xf:

I'm hoping for good news but from the web site it appears that they have already given out all the OOS acceptances! I hope some open up! :xf:

If you're following the trends from last year, there are still 7 acceptances for OOS yet to be given.

The way I look at it is that the statistics represent the halfway point in the application cycle. I will assume that last year's stats will be an indication of this year's stats.

At this halfway point there have been 36 acceptance out of the likely 127 total acceptances distributed. A safe assumption is that the second half of the application/interview cycle will be identical to the first half (usually not true, the second half of the season usually has weaker candidates and less acceptances from interviews). If 36 acceptances have been handed out so far, and another 36 (overestimated) from general interviewing in Jan, Feb, & March, that means that 55 people (127-72=55) will be offered an acceptance from the hold list. Also during the second half of the application cycle, fewer people are placed on the hold list so we can't just double that number and there's no way to estimate that total. Knowing that, we can put a ballpark number out there that there will be 70-100 people placed on hold during this cycle.

Best case scenario for the people on hold is a 78.5% (55/70) chance of acceptance and worst case scenario is a 55% (55/100) chance of acceptance in my over-analyzing opinion. Of course in-state or out-of-state status, individual stats and interview prowess cannot be taken into account here.

Sound statistics or grand delusion? You tell me. :D

Sound statistics or grand delusion? You tell me. :D

Nice work there Jon Nash. Paranoid much?

Take a few deep breaths and just wait - as hard as iit may be - an answer will be coming soon. Don't develop an ulcer waiting for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.