2009-2010 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Best to all.

Figured I best make some space for others because I'm in where I want to go.

(Are others doing this, or do they wait??)🙂


THANK YOU!!!! 👍

and P.S. from my experience it seems like a good amount of people hoard as many acceptances as they can until the last possible moment... hence the long waitlists 😡
 
How long after the committee meets does it take to make a decision? I know they met on Monday, but when I called they said they didn't have a decision yet. Does anyone know?
 
Because my interview got canceled due to the hurricane, i had to reschedule on a day that's not one of their interview days. Hence, i'm going to be the only one there and will only be getting an interview and none of the other stuff [tour, presentations, etc]. I don't know if there are any current EVMS students that check this thread, but if so...would anyone be available/willing to give me a quick tour of the campus? I'll be there on December 7th.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
that's what I'm planning on doing, once I hear about financial aid, then I'll withdraw from the less generous schools to open up some spots.
 
at my interview they said that 98% of students get their number ONE residency.....is this really true because i havent heard of any school with higher!?
 
Just interviewed last week and one lady on my panel was something to the effect of Ann Karnifschne ??? I can't read her writing when I asked for contacts. Anybody know how to spell her name??
 
Last edited:
Has anyone started a Facebook group yet? I searched everything I could think of but didn't see anything for 2014. If not, I'll create one and post the link here.
 
accepted!!!🙂 i interviewed 11/6 so if any of you interviewed then or before you can probably call and find out!
 
called today too. in state waitlisted upper third. this has probably been asked a thousand times, but how often do students in the upper third of the waitlist get an acceptance?
 
Last edited:
called today too. in state waitlisted upper third. this has probably been asked a thousand times, but how often do students in the upper third of the waitlist get an acceptance?

i think very often, from reading last years thread it seems like a lot of people from the upper 1/3 got off. good luck i hope all of you on the waitlist get in!🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
for those of you lucky enough to have multiple acceptances, those of us who are waitlisted will greatly appreciate it if you withdraw/narrow down your lists before the end of the school year, waiting sucks!
 
Hmm... it seems like everyone who has posted here including me has been waitlisted in the upper third. I wonder if they tell everyone that.
 
Ok, bit the bullet and created the group - "EVMS Class of 2014" Please only request to join if you plan to matriculate there this fall.

Can't wait to start getting to know everyone. :highfive:
 
so has anyone who's been accepted read the conditions of acceptance thing you have to sign and mail back? #16 says:

"In compliance with the AAMC recommendations concerning medical school acceptance procedures, "it is the responsibility of the student to hold no more than one acceptance at a given time. In fairness to fellow applicants, the student who receives acceptances from two or more schools should make a choice among them and promptly notify the other accepting schools of the decision to withdraw" Unless a student presents us with an acceptable reason, Eastern Virginia Medical School reserves the right to withdraw its offer of acceptance to an applicant who does not follow this guideline."


it doesn't say anything here about after may 15th so i was just a little concerned. i have 2 acceptances right now and would like to hold on to them until i see financial aid, but would hate to get my acceptance taken away to evms because it's probably my top choice out of the two. anyone know if they'd actually rescind an acceptance before may 15th if you were holding on to more than 1? thanks!🙂
 
so has anyone who's been accepted read the conditions of acceptance thing you have to sign and mail back? #16 says:

"In compliance with the AAMC recommendations concerning medical school acceptance procedures, "it is the responsibility of the student to hold no more than one acceptance at a given time. In fairness to fellow applicants, the student who receives acceptances from two or more schools should make a choice among them and promptly notify the other accepting schools of the decision to withdraw" Unless a student presents us with an acceptable reason, Eastern Virginia Medical School reserves the right to withdraw its offer of acceptance to an applicant who does not follow this guideline."


it doesn't say anything here about after may 15th so i was just a little concerned. i have 2 acceptances right now and would like to hold on to them until i see financial aid, but would hate to get my acceptance taken away to evms because it's probably my top choice out of the two. anyone know if they'd actually rescind an acceptance before may 15th if you were holding on to more than 1? thanks!🙂

I have the same problem. I'm not worrying about their threats. I legitimately haven't made my final decision. I'm pretty sure that you don't need to worry about it until you've made your decision.
 
so has anyone who's been accepted read the conditions of acceptance thing you have to sign and mail back? #16 says:

"In compliance with the AAMC recommendations concerning medical school acceptance procedures, "it is the responsibility of the student to hold no more than one acceptance at a given time. In fairness to fellow applicants, the student who receives acceptances from two or more schools should make a choice among them and promptly notify the other accepting schools of the decision to withdraw" Unless a student presents us with an acceptable reason, Eastern Virginia Medical School reserves the right to withdraw its offer of acceptance to an applicant who does not follow this guideline."


it doesn't say anything here about after may 15th so i was just a little concerned. i have 2 acceptances right now and would like to hold on to them until i see financial aid, but would hate to get my acceptance taken away to evms because it's probably my top choice out of the two. anyone know if they'd actually rescind an acceptance before may 15th if you were holding on to more than 1? thanks!🙂

When I went down to drop off my signed paperwork and deposit, I specifically asked about this. The woman basically said not to worry about it if you legitimately have not decided because you are waiting for more information (other acceptances, financial aid packages, etc.). Although the AAMC verbiage is very specific, they seem to understand that this is a very fluid process. I think they just want to avoid the people who procrastinate for no good reason, or hold them out of spite/ego.
 
congrats to those who have gained acceptances, dont worry about holding on to multiple ones until you have made your decision, it is the right you have earned for properly preparing for a career as a physician...

I interviewed 10/28 and didnt hear back until 11/25, I am waitlisted...going to call today - heres hoping I'm in the top third
 
i was wondeirng about the upper 1/3 thing too. either those in the 2/3 and 3/3 divisions aren't posting or they're politely telling us we're waitlisted.
 
Congrats to everyone getting acceptances!!!

Just wondering... anyone else in pre-interview limbo? I've been complete since early September and still nothing 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed on 11/18 also and was wondering if we can't call in (in Europe) how much later will the email come?? Do they even email their results or snail mail??
 
After going on SDN everyday for the past few months, I've finally made an account 😀. Hello everyone, I interviewed here on 11/11, was wondering if anyone had heard news from EVMS who interviewed that day.
 
i was wondeirng about the upper 1/3 thing too. either those in the 2/3 and 3/3 divisions aren't posting or they're politely telling us we're waitlisted.

Yea, people are divided into top third, middle third, bottom third. I got top 1/3, but I saw others in the middle third range around here. I haven't seen anyone in the bottom third.

The sad part is as time progresses, you can go down from top third to middle third. But at the same time, you can go up as well....
 
which hotel do you guys recommend staying at for interviewing at EVMS? i was hoping to get offered a student host. :/
 
which hotel do you guys recommend staying at for interviewing at EVMS? i was hoping to get offered a student host. :/

I stayed at the Norfolk Crowne Plaza Hotel. It was nice, they've just renovated and it's not too far from the school. If you're lucky, you can arrange for their shuttle to drop you off and pick you up from the interview. The shuttle also transports from the airport to the hotel and back. Plus, it's within walking distance of a nice mall (though I didn't go to it). They were nice enough to even bump up our room to a suite. It was awesome.
 
which hotel do you guys recommend staying at for interviewing at EVMS? i was hoping to get offered a student host. :/

I stayed at the Tazewell. They don't have a shuttle, though. If I had known that Norfolk Crowne Plaza could take care of all my transportation needs (as above poster mentioned), I would have stayed there instead. I had to pay for taxi to transport me from airport to hotel, from hotel to school, and from school to airport...taxis probably ran me around $75 total (including tips). On the plus side, it was very easy to find taxis (just ask the taxi driver at the airport for a card), and since Norfolk is not too large, I didn't have to wait long to be picked up.
 
congrats for everyone who's been accepted! And good luck for the rest of us.

I finished my application to EVMS late August and I have not heard a peep from them. I am on the verge of calling them; as well as five other med schools who are keeping me in the dark. Should I be concerned? Oh, i'm OOS.
out of the country actually.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thanks for the info. crowne sounds nice.

Just make sure to ask about the Shuttle to the school when you check in. It depends on whether or not they're picking up someone from the airport, but I'm sure they'll try to arrange something. If not, the school is only down the road or so from the hotel, so a taxi to the school wouldn't be too much.
 
I am scheduled to interview there on 12/9/09 this week, I'm really excited! I was wondering if I would have a shot at being put into the upper 1/3 wait list if I don't get accepted. I see from this thread that people have already gotten acceptances and I'm just hoping I got in early enough!

Also, I'm driving from instate and staying at the Sheraton. Should I arrange for a cab in the morning or just drive over myself in the morning?
PS. Hello SDN!
 
i had my interview about two weeks ago(23rd) when should i expect to have a decision? Do you guys think I should call in the morning?
 
i had my interview about two weeks ago(23rd) when should i expect to have a decision? Do you guys think I should call in the morning?

i think their adcom meets on mondays, so i would try calling tomorrow. good luck!🙂
 
I interviewed here on 10/14 and was put on a waitlist. How do you know if you are in the upper third or not? My letter doesn't say anything like that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.