2009-2010 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed here on 10/14 and was put on a waitlist. How do you know if you are in the upper third or not? My letter doesn't say anything like that.

You have to call them if you want to find out where on the waitlist you are.
 
Sending this into cyberspace...

I'm coming to Norfolk around 8 PM for my interview tomorrow (Dec 9th). If anyone wants to share a hotel / conquer this interview together, give me a call... p.s. I'm female. Haven't made reservations yet.

nine seven eight - seven nine three - three zero three six
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have an interview tomorrow..yikes!! scared of the panel thing:scared:
Don't sweat it. Think of it as having a more lively flow of conversation with three people instead of just two. What happened for me was a real nice conversation with two gentlemen who were very easy to talk to. Naturally without all the presumed necessary affectations.

This school will feel you out for a "good fit." A nebulous concept. One that nevertheless makes sense when you feel it as well. To do best in this environment requires you to take in the town--if you're new to the area--and give them an honest reflection of how you see yourself there. So relax and do your best to enjoy it.

That will give you the best result in my opinion.
 
So I called the Admissions Office today, as I had not received the complete post card from my application... yes I submitted my secondary (not to mention my primary) late. They told me that I am complete, and that I will be getting an interview, but that the actual invite will not go out until after the first of the new year. Anyone else heard of this? On one hand I'm happy that I'm getting an interview, but on the other I was wondering why I can't schedule it right now for whenever is available. Is it normal at EVMS that they invite people and have only very close upcoming dates available? I have only interviewed at VCU so far, and when they invited you for an interview, their system was open until their end date. Bottom line, I thought it a little odd that the office could tell me that I was getting an interview, but that the actual offer would not come until later.

No matter what, I'm totally happy to find out that I'm getting an interview at EVMS. I'm from the area and staying close by would be great.
 
wow. i interviewed on dec 9th and i was impressed by the school and students. the panel interview was low to minimal stress and veryyyyyy conversational. overall, it was a fun day where you get to meet tons of people and see what evms has to offer. good luck everyone.
 
Thanks for the advice...Nasrudin
I had it yesterday and it wasn't hard at all. I think it lasted for 25 minutes...30 tops...SDN makes it seem harder than it really is. So if you guys have an interview coming up soon..just chill but definitely prepare!!!!
 
Just got an interview invite...going January 8th. 🙂

This is excellent. I grew up in the Hampton Roads area.
 
Called in for my decision today, middle third of waitlist.

Any idea what the chances of someone in the middle third are?
 
So the usual wait time to hear back after interview is about 4 weeks? I must say this area of virginia is very nice and the people are super friendly. Seriously the nicest people I have ever met in my life.
However, I found the panal interview to be a little stressful. It seems some other people leaving agreed. Healthcare topics are always stressful and everyone has their own opinion. This is the first place that really grilled me about this
 
So the usual wait time to hear back after interview is about 4 weeks? I must say this area of virginia is very nice and the people are super friendly. Seriously the nicest people I have ever met in my life.
However, I found the panal interview to be a little stressful. It seems some other people leaving agreed. Healthcare topics are always stressful and everyone has their own opinion. This is the first place that really grilled me about this

Damn sorry to hear you got grilled. I'm sure you did fine!
 
No problem. i think they just want to see you have an idea about what is going on and stand your ground. That is why they continue asking questions. At least I hope they don't reject/waitlest bc they don't agree with your opinion. It seems there were others that had the same experience that day and some that did not. But like I said, I was sad to leave bc ppl there are so friendly.
Back to same ?
about 4 weeks to hear back?
probably more bc of holiday
 
So the usual wait time to hear back after interview is about 4 weeks? I must say this area of virginia is very nice and the people are super friendly. Seriously the nicest people I have ever met in my life.
However, I found the panal interview to be a little stressful. It seems some other people leaving agreed. Healthcare topics are always stressful and everyone has their own opinion. This is the first place that really grilled me about this

it actually only took me about 2.5 weeks til they had a decision for me, but it might take longer now because of the holidays. good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's a blast. EVMS rocks.

Just a tip- Norfolk,VA is pronounced either "Naw-F,uck" or "Nor-F,uck". I did not know this and it took me by surprise. I thought it was Nor-foke

😀

I've always said it "Nor-fick"...people from Gloucester call it "Nawf,uck". Daggone hillbillies. 😎
 
😀

I've always said it "Nor-fick"...people from Gloucester call it "Nawf,uck". Daggone hillbillies. 😎


I like Nor-fick myself. I feel like I'm being crude where I say nor-**** lol. Either way I love that place 🙂
 
I was complete at EVMS on 11/30 (I *think*), and was offered an interview about a week later. I thought their response was lightning fast; I expected it to take forever since my application was in so late. Is this just how they are? Also, I heard rumors about how EVMS has filled their class already. That would really be a let-down; I'd love to go there. Has anyone else heard this?
 
I was complete at EVMS on 11/30 (I *think*), and was offered an interview about a week later. I thought their response was lightning fast; I expected it to take forever since my application was in so late. Is this just how they are? Also, I heard rumors about how EVMS has filled their class already. That would really be a let-down; I'd love to go there. Has anyone else heard this?


Even if its true who cares, last years M1 class was 60% off the waitlist...
 
So, I just called EVMS to ask about the rumors that the class is already full. They said that the fullness of the class changes every day, as more acceptances are offered and people withdraw. I have an interview coming up in January, so I asked her if interviews from here on out are for waitlist spots. She said that they do not interview people for waitlist spots, so if they're interviewing you, you do have the chance to be accepted. She said that roughly 30% of interviewees get acceptance offers, and that a fair number of people get accepted off of the waitlist (many, she says).
 
Yea, people are divided into top third, middle third, bottom third. I got top 1/3, but I saw others in the middle third range around here. I haven't seen anyone in the bottom third.

The sad part is as time progresses, you can go down from top third to middle third. But at the same time, you can go up as well....

I called admissions at the end of the week and the lady I spoke to explained to me that once you are in a specific 'third' on the waitlist, you will never move to a different third. It is based on a score they give you and not on the number of students in each third. So theoretically you could be in the middle third with nobody in the top third just because your score is in the middle third range. Alibai, where did you hear that you can move categories? I know sometimes you can hear two totally different things from two different people that work in the same office......
 
So, I just called EVMS to ask about the rumors that the class is already full. They said that the fullness of the class changes every day, as more acceptances are offered and people withdraw. I have an interview coming up in January, so I asked her if interviews from here on out are for waitlist spots. She said that they do not interview people for waitlist spots, so if they're interviewing you, you do have the chance to be accepted. She said that roughly 30% of interviewees get acceptance offers, and that a fair number of people get accepted off of the waitlist (many, she says).

How? They are closed for Xmas aren't they?
 
How? They are closed for Xmas aren't they?

huh wow they were open!

I just called

Interviewed: 12/9
Decision: 12/22/09 (FAST!)

Top 1/3 Waitlist...although at my interview they said a ton of OOS people in the top 1/3 got in.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I just called EVMS to ask about the rumors that the class is already full. They said that the fullness of the class changes every day, as more acceptances are offered and people withdraw. I have an interview coming up in January, so I asked her if interviews from here on out are for waitlist spots. She said that they do not interview people for waitlist spots, so if they're interviewing you, you do have the chance to be accepted. She said that roughly 30% of interviewees get acceptance offers, and that a fair number of people get accepted off of the waitlist (many, she says).

I interviewed last year in March and was specifically told it was for a waitlist spot at best. Ended up in middle 1/3 and never moved an inch. Perhaps they are doing things differently this year.
 
I interviewed last year in March and was specifically told it was for a waitlist spot at best. Ended up in middle 1/3 and never moved an inch. Perhaps they are doing things differently this year.


I hope I can get in off top 1/3 OOS waitlist.

I'm scared you can move down on the WL to a lower 1/3, but I have a 3.98/30 with strong EC's so I'm praying I get in.

Absolutely loved this place
 
I hope I can get in off top 1/3 OOS waitlist.

I'm scared you can move down on the WL to a lower 1/3, but I have a 3.98/30 with strong EC's so I'm praying I get in.

Absolutely loved this place

You sound like a great candidate to be sending an update letter. 👍
 
You sound like a great candidate to be sending an update letter. 👍


I think I will- and I actually have been doing a lot this year in terms of community service.

Any tips for the update letter? Is it just a list of things we've done since hitting submit on AMCAS? Thanks so much for your help!!
 
I think I will- and I actually have been doing a lot this year in terms of community service.

Any tips for the update letter? Is it just a list of things we've done since hitting submit on AMCAS? Thanks so much for your help!!

I'll PM you...
 
I hope I can get in off top 1/3 OOS waitlist.

I'm scared you can move down on the WL to a lower 1/3, but I have a 3.98/30 with strong EC's so I'm praying I get in.

Absolutely loved this place


I interviewed on the Dec. 9th as well and got top 1/3 of waitlist but I am in-state... I agree with you though, I loved EVMS...
 
Wow, they already have given decisions on Dec 9. I interviewed that Friday Dec 11. Does that mean I will be hearing next week? Do you have to call them or do the email/mail/call you?
 
Wow, they already have given decisions on Dec 9. I interviewed that Friday Dec 11. Does that mean I will be hearing next week? Do you have to call them or do the email/mail/call you?

They do have decisions for the 11th. I read above that the class is already full. Anyone know if this has been confirmed? Just wondering if some from the 11th have been offered spots.

I'm IS, top 1/3 of waitlist. 😎
 
They do have decisions for the 11th. I read above that the class is already full. Anyone know if this has been confirmed? Just wondering if some from the 11th have been offered spots.

I'm IS, top 1/3 of waitlist. 😎

Hmmm... I can wait to hear instead of bothering them. Unless that is the only way you find out, is by calling. I assume I will get some mail next week with the info. They don't over accept? Sounds weird to have the whole class filled before the New Year. There are still 2-3 months of interviewing, Jan, Feb, March. I guess every school does it different
 
Unfortunately, I have to second this post. I felt the EXACT same way when I interviewed here in early September. It was kind of heartbreaking because I am in state, and EVMS was high on my list before the interview.

Hey guys,
I'm currently a student at EVMS and I thought I'd address a few concerns about what was said by some of the people here. I understand that there were concerns with regards to how old some of the facilities are at the school. I would agree with this, but hear me out. The school is investing several million dollars and is in the process of renovating and building an entire new medical school facility. They are putting all their money there and when that opens (end of 2010 or beginning of 2011), all the medical school facilities and students will be moved to that building while the old one is redesigned.

Perhaps some of the facilities are old, but each of the faculty members are dedicated to the teaching of medicine. They are all up to date on the newest research (when they're not leading a course, they are away at conferences trying to catch up with new developments in science). Each one stays beyond the 5pm mark when most other professors go home and helps those students who are yearning to learn more or want to learn things better.

The reason why we spend so much time talking about extracurricular activities and community service is because we have a lot to offer in that area. Our classroom academics are as good as you would find elsewhere (if not better) and so we don't spend as much time talking about it. If you studied enough to get accepted for an interview, you are probably able to study through most types of academic environments. We want students from the very beginning to be humans and to treat their patients as humans so we have a lot of community service activities throughout the year to give back to the city that came together to build us.

Yes, we are proud of the standardized patient program at EVMS because we started it. Other schools that have that program borrowed the concept from us and it allows modern day medical students to "practice" interview/physicals on real people before we get into the hospital our 3rd year. In fact, we begin real patient physicals and interviews the 2nd half of our 1st year.

EVMS is small and is located in a small town. For some people this may be a good or bad thing. I come from California and the small town feeling is different and truthfully sometimes I wish I were in a bigger city. But let's be real, we're in medical school... how much sun will you really get? =) (When you do get sun, there is a beach...)

We are dedicated to international health and we so far have 2 established locations in Peru and Honduras where we send students to do medical and public health work during our spring break. We are interdisciplinary as we work closely with all the health professionals at our school to ensure that we all know the importance of each of our jobs.

Some people mentioned that some students looked like they don't want to be in medical school (or specifically at EVMS .... how can you tell by looking at their face?) but anyways... people are not going to be looking their best all the time when you constantly have things to do. Whoever said that medical school would be a breeze? From what I've seen, most people are pretty happy here especially because we're so close knit. We help each other out.

Medical school is all about where you feel most comfortable. After all, you'll be studying there for the next 4+ (depending on multiple degrees) of your life. I advise all of you to make sure you don't take any one comment to the extreme (including my own) until you feel and experience it for yourself.

Best of luck to all of you. I won't be checking this regularly, so if you have a question, please pm me!
 
Yesterday I got an invite for January 22nd, and I was complete on 11/5/09.

Now I just need to weigh the options of driving or flying...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Flying to EVMS tomorrow! Interview on Friday, OOS (OOC for out of country, actually).

I'm frightened by the incredibly expensive hotels in the area; I don't have a car and can't drive so being close by would be nice. Just my luck, no student hosts available.

Anyone looking for someone to split hotel cost on Thursday night? (I'm male)

Hope the bus system's nice...oh, the life of an international student without a driver's license!
 
Does anyone know what proportion of the upper 1/3 waitlist typically receives and acceptance offer? I'm IS, btw.

Thanks.
 
Interview invite yesterday and very happy about it. Secondary complete on 11/24, interview on 1/20.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.