2009-2010 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
verbal section is what's keeping me from getting in off the WL too... hopefully the WL picks up

Do you guys think that it's the actual verbal score that's causing the problem, or is it more so that the WL candidates are so close that it's one of the only objective criteria they can use to differentiate at this point? Just curious to hear what others have heard from the admissions office...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i scored 11+ in both VR and BS. i'm still on the wait-list. 🙁

This is exactly why I was asking when/where/how people have heard this thing about the VR score. I know plenty (<5) people with greater than a 10 on the WL right now... Not trying to start a flame war or anything, I would just hate to see this tidbit of information make people worry unnecessarily (esp if it turns out to be nothing more than a rumor).

I'm still praying for y'all every Sunday, in case anyone wanted to know 😉
 
Do you guys think that it's the actual verbal score that's causing the problem, or is it more so that the WL candidates are so close that it's one of the only objective criteria they can use to differentiate at this point? Just curious to hear what others have heard from the admissions office...


I definitely wasn't intending to worry people. I was just pointing out that I'd heard verbal was the most important score on the MCAT and was genuinely curious as to whether the poster who I quoted was lacking in verbal.

As far as where I heard that verbal was the most important... When Dr. Solhaug came to my school to talk with prospective undergrads and people were asking questions, somebody asked if there was a section of the MCAT that mattered more than others and, without any hesitation really, he said they especially want to see a good verbal score (10+). Should this be taken with a grain of salt? That's really up to you.

I don't want to scare people, I'm just trying to provide any information that I have (especially regarding the waitlist). I apologize if anything I say or have said comes across as anything other than helpful because that's ultimately ehat this site is supposed to be (which I agree could be a point of humor regarding a lot of the stuff on here).

Hopefully some of us will hear something soon. :luck: :luck:
 
Verbal? I'd heard from EVMS (and several other places) that they're looking for a solid verbal moreso than a solid score in BS or PS.

...or maybe not, maybe you're talking about physical sciences, lol


You know, it could be either. Both sections weren't up to the national par (yeah it was a bad Saturday when I took it, okay it was a terrible week, excuses aside). But it was PS that was mentioned specifically. Physics and I aren't the best of friends. 😡
 
As far as where I heard that verbal was the most important... When Dr. Solhaug came to my school to talk with prospective undergrads and people were asking questions, somebody asked if there was a section of the MCAT that mattered more than others and, without any hesitation really, he said they especially want to see a good verbal score (10+). Should this be taken with a grain of salt? That's really up to you.

I second this. I've heard him say the exact same thing on two separate occasions, not including the ODU visit. He said they've studied it, and verbal correlates most with board scores. FYI.
 
I second this. I've heard him say the exact same thing on two separate occasions, not including the ODU visit. He said they've studied it, and verbal correlates most with board scores. FYI.

Wow, really? That's pretty awesome, considering the more I work on verbal the more comfortable I get. Has anyone seen the actual correlative studies for boards (not that I should be worrying about something that's 2-3 years ahead of my primary focus, GETTING IN!)? :scared:

BTW, I love ODU. A good number of my friends are finishing up over there soon, need to make my way down before it's too late. The more I think about it, the more I love Norfolk. Beach is close by, downtown has lots of things to do, and local music scene is great. Plus, I grew up listening to Mike & Bob :laugh:
 
Wow, really? That's pretty awesome, considering the more I work on verbal the more comfortable I get. Has anyone seen the actual correlative studies for boards (not that I should be worrying about something that's 2-3 years ahead of my primary focus, GETTING IN!)? :scared:

BTW, I love ODU. A good number of my friends are finishing up over there soon, need to make my way down before it's too late. The more I think about it, the more I love Norfolk. Beach is close by, downtown has lots of things to do, and local music scene is great. Plus, I grew up listening to Mike & Bob :laugh:

Depending on what study you look at, most will say either BS or VR. However, the r values for several studies i looked at were between .60 and .75 not exactly an extremely strong correlation. Highest Step I score I ever heard about from any one of my friends was someone who got a 24R on the MCAT. 🙂

The strongest indicator on how you do on your boards are your 2nd year medical school grades. 🙂
 
Depending on what study you look at, most will say either BS or VR. However, the r values for several studies i looked at were between .60 and .75 not exactly an extremely strong correlation. Highest Step I score I ever heard about from any one of my friends was someone who got a 24R on the MCAT. 🙂

The strongest indicator on how you do on your boards are your 2nd year medical school grades. 🙂


^^^ that sounds about right. 👍

Maybe with a little luck I'll be able to get closer to great second year med school grades... by actually being accepted to medical school. :xf:

First things first 😉
 
You know, it could be either. Both sections weren't up to the national par (yeah it was a bad Saturday when I took it, okay it was a terrible week, excuses aside). But it was PS that was mentioned specifically. Physics and I aren't the best of friends. 😡


Well if you got an interview and didn't get rejected, that's still a good position to be in - better than the alternatives.

Who knows, maybe they like you.

If I had to choose between stellar stats and an admissions committee liking me, I'd go with the latter. Maybe that's silly though, I don't know.

Oh, and I love Hampton Roads too 🙂

Good luck :luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So is the OOS waitlist moving "lightening fast" or really slowly? It has been described both ways on here, does anyone know?
 
So is the OOS waitlist moving "lightening fast" or really slowly? It has been described both ways on here, does anyone know?

I think both are moving slowly.

It may have been me who said the OOS waitlist was moving lightning fast in comparison to the IS waitlist (based off rumors though, so don't 100% hold me to that).

In any event, probably best to call.
 
I got a call from Dr. Solhaug yesterday saying I got accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Now I need to find an apartment. Are there any girls attending this fall who are looking for roommates??
 
I got a call from Dr. Solhaug yesterday saying I got accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Now I need to find an apartment. Are there any girls attending this fall who are looking for roommates??

Congrats!! Look forward to meeting you. 🙂
 
oos male - received the thick envelope last thursday. the good news for all of you is that i got off the wait list at another school today so this spot is going to open up for one of you as soon as I get the documentation from the other school. no doubt that evms will always be dear to me as the first school to accept me. good luck to all of you!
 
***Currently Accepted In-Staters!!!****


Can one or two of you withdraw please?!!? 🙂

I'll send you a basket of cookies.

...No seriously though. Withdraw. Cookies. Happiness.
 
I just got a big white envelop in the mail today!! I'm accepted !!!! I am so excited about EVMS and will be attending!!

I'm OOS female accepted via snail mail. Good luck to all of you I hope everyone gets in.
 
I just got a big white envelop in the mail today!! I'm accepted !!!! I am so excited about EVMS and will be attending!!

I'm OOS female accepted via snail mail. Good luck to all of you I hope everyone gets in.

Awesome and congratulations!!! Can't wait to meet you in August!

Just a reminder for all those accepted: Don't forget to join our official EVMS c/o 2014 Facebook group (CLICK ME) (meet everyone, talk about housing roommates, etc etc).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got my acceptance envelope in the mail today, so I guess they are moving faster on letting in the OOS cash cows! 😉 Just kidding, I really loved EVMS when I visited (and it's actually the least expensive of my options), so I'm very happy and excited! 😀
 
I just got my acceptance envelope in the mail today, so I guess they are moving faster on letting in the OOS cash cows! 😉 Just kidding, I really loved EVMS when I visited (and it's actually the least expensive of my options), so I'm very happy and excited! 😀

Congrats!!!! When do you think you'll be moving into town?

PS - Once it gets a little closer to August, I think we should get together for a night out or something like that. I figure most of us will already be down there by the beginning of August...
 
Congrats!!!! When do you think you'll be moving into town?

Oh gosh, I've been entrenched in my hometown for so many years, I haven't even thought about it! I'd need a few weeks to settle my affairs, but I imagine there's great competition for housing so I'm going to start looking for that ASAP for 8/1.
 
Awesome... We're moving in on 8/1 too, so many many many drinks will be needed to break in the new place
 
Got accepted off the waitlist on Saturday! I'm IS, so just wanted to let you all know that there is some movement. Best of luck to those still waiting.
 
Got accepted off the waitlist on Saturday! I'm IS, so just wanted to let you all know that there is some movement. Best of luck to those still waiting.


Congrats, that must have been a sweet feeling. Wish I could share it with you! 😉
 
Hey you guys,

Is anyone who's accepted looking for a roommate??? I've secured an awesome 2 bedroom apartment right by campus...here's the link to the ad I posted on Craigslist:
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/roo/1827857279.html

Email me at the email listed on CL if you're interested! Look forward to meeting everyone!!!

Alison
 
Hey all. I just got accepted off of OOS waitlist last week and decided today that I will be withdrawing from my other school and attending EVMS. Anyone still looking for a male roommate??
 
Hey all. I just got accepted off of OOS waitlist last week and decided today that I will be withdrawing from my other school and attending EVMS. Anyone still looking for a male roommate??

Congrats bud! Can't wait to meet you soon!
 
Been lurking in this thread for quite some time. Just got accepted today off the waitlist. OOS Male, Top 1/3 of waitlist. Looking for some help on places to live, possibly looking for a roommate, etc. Anyone who can help shoot me a PM!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Been lurking in this thread for quite some time. Just got accepted today off the waitlist. OOS Male, Top 1/3 of waitlist. Looking for some help on places to live, possibly looking for a roommate, etc. Anyone who can help shoot me a PM!

Haven't been on here in a while and just saw this... CONGRATS!!! Let me know if you still need help with stuff. Also, don't forget to join the c/o 2014 group on Facebook.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.