2009-2010 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats Chanson and Nausicaa217!! Would either of you be comfortable disclosing what your stats were GPA/MCAT/IS or OOS/age? Just tryin to see how high to place my hopes haha

GPA: 3.53 undergrad, 4.0 post-bacc, 3.8 M.S.
MCAT: 31
IS
Age: 31
 
Just got in off of the OOS waitlist this week! I am looking forward to coming here in August
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrads XVivo!!! Were you invited to the second look weekend? If you could post your stats it might help the rest of us gage what is happening? Thank you
 
Just out of curiousity - did anyone you met at Preview weekend fess up to knowing they weren't going to go to EVMS?

I didn't meet anyone who was totally candid about knowing for sure they wouldn't be attending. Basically everyone who I met who was unsure about EVMS was OSS and deciding between a better financial offer.

Everyone who I met had a great personality and I love being their classmate. 🙂
 
Just curious how many people got invited to the preview weekend off the waiting list? Was the majority of waitlisters chosen OOS? Thanks

There were maybe 30-40 waitlisters there and it seemed like there were more OOS than IS, but not by a large margin.

I'm IS and I can remember ~ 10 other in-state waitlisters.
 
PS - For all you IS-ers... Be VERY glad that you won't have to worry about OOS tuition.

After the FinAid presentation for OOS, I can expect to be the proud owner of a $289K+ debt (NOT including interest)...:barf:

Haha, I was the one who answered "It's not even on the chart." when we were asked the total loan amount for OOS at preview. I feel your pain... that's a lot of money.
 
Haha, I was the one who answered "It's not even on the chart." when we were asked the total loan amount for OOS at preview. I feel your pain... that's a lot of money.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I was wondering who that was! I didn't even bother looking at the damn sheet... I glanced at it when they passed it out, laughed heartily, and tucked it back into the folder. Guess who's studying his ass off for boards because we HAVE to specialize in order to pay off the loans....

Glad someone else feels my pain :scared:
 
:laugh::laugh::laugh: I was wondering who that was! I didn't even bother looking at the damn sheet... I glanced at it when they passed it out, laughed heartily, and tucked it back into the folder. Guess who's studying his ass off for boards because we HAVE to specialize in order to pay off the loans....

Glad someone else feels my pain :scared:

Yeah EVMS seems quite expensive for us out of staters. It's funny I never really solidly considered specializing before, but I am now as well so that I don't end up in primary care poverty.
 
nooo! Don't give up on primary care! There are loan repayment programs out there, and maybe if we all stick together, we can raise the standards for primary care! We need more primary care doctors...

🙂
 
Does anyone know about what research opportunities might be available to med students here?
 
nooo! Don't give up on primary care! There are loan repayment programs out there, and maybe if we all stick together, we can raise the standards for primary care! We need more primary care doctors...

🙂

Yeah it's not official yet for me....it's interesting that many of the primary care shortages and problems we hear about in the news are the result of these exact thoughts that are going through our very heads.
 
I've always wanted to sub-specialize, so it's not that big of a jump for me (read: I was personally exaggerating on the whole "have to specialize now")... You're completely right, though, that a major reason primary care is in such high demand is the compensation/cost of education dichotomy.

As an aside, I strongly feel that EM should be reclassified as a primary care specialty. Totally not fair that those folks don't get to utilize the loan forgiveness programs available for primary care even though EM IS a primary care specialty...

But I digest 🙄
 
As an aside, I strongly feel that EM should be reclassified as a primary care specialty. Totally not fair that those folks don't get to utilize the loan forgiveness programs available for primary care even though EM IS a primary care specialty...

AMEN! 👍
 
speaking of hefty out-of-state tuition...any west virginians here want to trade their EVMS spot for my spot at marshall?? that way we can all go into primary care because we won't be drowning in loans! everybody wins!!!

LOL i know it doesn't work that way, but how sweet would it be if it did...:laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Optimism abounds... I say we all just open cash-only practices :meanie:

speaking of hefty out-of-state tuition...any west virginians here want to trade their EVMS spot for my spot at marshall?? that way we can all go into primary care because we won't be drowning in loans! everybody wins!!!

LOL i know it doesn't work that way, but how sweet would it be if it did...:laugh:
 
I also just withdrew. IS. Was certainly a hard decision. EVMS is a fantastic place to get your medical training- I wish you waitlisters all the best!
 
All right people... Looks like the WL movement has officially begun! Thanks to everyone for letting us know when you withdrew. Timely notices are always appreciated!!!
 
Does anyone know about what research opportunities might be available to med students here?

There are research opportunities but most of them would be over the summer. CHKD and EVMS both offer summer research scholarships for clinical and bench research. There really isn't any time to do research first or second year. I am going to be doing research this summer at EVMS, we shall see how it goes. I am a current medical masters student.
 
I was accepted from the waitlist today at EVMS and VCU (yep, a little overwhelming). I'm going to VCU! So I'm resigning my spot to one of you awesome people. Good luck!

UG: 3.6; post-bacc w/ MS in neurobiology: 3.8; 34Q; IS (from tidewater)
 
I was accepted from the waitlist today at EVMS and VCU (yep, a little overwhelming). I'm going to VCU! So I'm resigning my spot to one of you awesome people. Good luck!

UG: 3.6; post-bacc w/ MS in neurobiology: 3.8; 34Q; IS (from tidewater)

Congrats and best of luck!
 
Anyone hear of waitlist movement recently? I called the office and they said it was slower than expected. Do they say this to everyone, every year?
 
Got accepted today. Instate, male, 33O MCAT and 3.9 gpa/sgpa. I also attended preview weekend if that matters. So I guess there's some movement. GL to the rest of you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are you headed to EVMS in the fall, Garry? With stats like those, I assume you have other options as well. Anyways, congrats!
 
Are you headed to EVMS in the fall, Garry? With stats like those, I assume you have other options as well. Anyways, congrats!

Thanks 🙂 ! I kind of dropped the ball on finishing my primaries in a timely manner (finished around late October) so I actually don't have many options. I do plan on attending EVMS though, a kind of have a very good friend that's an M1 so I get his books, advice, etc. Good deal for me.
 
Got accepted today. Instate, male, 33O MCAT and 3.9 gpa/sgpa. I also attended preview weekend if that matters. So I guess there's some movement. GL to the rest of you.

For people who are getting off the waitlist...are you finding out through snail mail, phone, or email? Just wondering how they're going to notify us...

Thanks!
 
To the people who already know they'll be heading to Norfolk:

When are y'all moving down/up/East/West? I propose we have an impromptu gathering once we all arrive... My new apartment has grills, a pool, AND A PUTTING GREEN (read: PARTY AT MY PLACE!)!
 
Just called the Office and when I asked about WL movement, she said "...*sigh* very sloww".

🙁

Thought I'd save some of you a phone call.
 
Got accepted today. Instate, male, 33O MCAT and 3.9 gpa/sgpa. I also attended preview weekend if that matters. So I guess there's some movement. GL to the rest of you.

Just called the Office and when I asked about WL movement, she said "...*sigh* very sloww".

🙁

Thought I'd save some of you a phone call.

Garry, congrats man! I probably met you at preview, but maybe not.

It seemed like there were several in-staters who withdrew, so maybe they're in the process of granting more offers. Plus, May 15th wasn't that long ago and I'd imagine it takes time decide which files get another look/are active, review the active files, decide who gets the offers, and then mail the acceptance packets.

I wouldn't start worrying too much yet. At preview Dr. Solhaug said admissions was looking at around 5-10 files and expected to be looking at 10-20 fairly soon. There are probably some letters on the way as we speak.

I'm not stressing about it, it's out of our hands now.

Good Luck!!! :luck:
-STAT EKG
 
For people who are getting off the waitlist...are you finding out through snail mail, phone, or email? Just wondering how they're going to notify us...

Thanks!

Snail mail. It came in a big white envelope. I didn't get any e-mail/phone call to go along with it, just the mail.
 
Just sent an email to admissions withdrawing my acceptance. That was a lot tougher to do than I thought. I am OOS, white male, so maybe one of you will get my spot. Best of luck to you all.
 
http://www.eduers.com/Medical/Virginia/Eastern_Virginia_Medical_School.html

This is from 2007 but anyways it says EVMS interviewed 624 and accepted 305 students. So if you subtract the initial 115 they accept to fill the class that means 190 people are accepted from the waitlist. Since the waitlist has 350 people on it than its safe to say that the entire top third and some of the middle third will be accepted. Does that sound right? I realize that this is outdated information but it couldnt have changed too much in three years.
 
called this morning...found out im accepted! OOS waitlist must be moving.
Also attended preview weekend
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just withdrew, OOS male, very non-traditional.

I'm really sad I can't attend EVMS next year. By far the awesomest school that I interviewed at, but I got off a waitlist for a school in CA and my fiancee is here doing dissertation research here on CA.

Best of luck guys.
 
Just called right now. Still in the upper third. -_-. I'm going to start requesting transcripts for the next cycle and working on the essays again now. 🙁
 
Status
Not open for further replies.