You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2009-2010 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread
Started by shemarty
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Me too... 🙁
Do you know what we have to do? Do we have to start a new AMCAS application?
From what I remember about the AMCAS and reapplication is that all of the previously submitted information tied to your AMCAS ID pre-populates the application. You just have to go back in and edit things (hopefully you have things to add).
You will DEFINITELY want to write a new personal statement. When you reapply to schools, they pull out your old application(s) and look for significant changes. Seeing something as big as the PS that has no changes will pretty much kill your application. Think of it as a job interview - would you want to hire someone that actually shows you they're not willing to work at improving by submitting the same stuff again?
*** I have applied 3x, so I do have at least a fundamental understanding of the admissions process. That being said, if I've made a mistake somewhere along the way here, don't hate completely. Just trying to help. ***
Current EVMS student looking for a roommate this year. if any of you accepted students are interested in sharing a nice 2bed/2bath within 1 mile of campus feel free to send me a message. rent would be around 700 each per month. [email protected]
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
by this point in time, are chances of getting off the waitlist rather slim? and also who do we talk to about interim year activities which may help reapplicants look more favorable?
No the waitlist moves all summer. OOS more than IS, but they both move for the next few months.
As for the helpful activities, thats not really going to be school-specific, but rather specific to your own deficiencies. Just make sure you stay busy - do some research if you don't have any, shadow or do clinical work if you don't have much of that, etc.
I have actually spoken to a few different people in the admissions office over the past few days, and they all say IS is very slow this year - slower than last year.
However, it is true that the WL continues to move throughout the summer. It is also reasonable to assume that OOS WL movement will influence IS movement somewhat - certainly there are students who will drop their IS acceptances in favor of some other OOS school they would rather attend... makes me wonder how OOS movement this year compares with last year - anyone know this?
However, it is true that the WL continues to move throughout the summer. It is also reasonable to assume that OOS WL movement will influence IS movement somewhat - certainly there are students who will drop their IS acceptances in favor of some other OOS school they would rather attend... makes me wonder how OOS movement this year compares with last year - anyone know this?
Whyyyy must we be punished by a slower-than-ever-moving IS waitlist... 🙁
I am a recent EVMS grad - loved the school. During our first week, a guy was pulled off of the wait list - came in and graduated in the top 4 of our class. There's hope, I promise!



I'm a Canadian applicant and have been in the top 1/3 of the waitlist since March or April, and I just heard that I was accepted today! Since being on the waitlist I've sent two letters and called 3-4 times even though they said that this was probably not going to help my chances. Now that I've gotten in though, I wouldn't be surprised if every bit I put in helped. Good luck to the rest of you still waiting!
Now on to the matter of actually paying for school as an international...
Now on to the matter of actually paying for school as an international...
Last edited:
I'm a Canadian applicant and have been in the top 1/3 of the waitlist since March or April, and I just heard that I was accepted today! Since being on the waitlist I've sent two letters and called 3-4 times even though they said that this was probably not going to help my chances. Now that I've gotten in though, I wouldn't be surprised if every bit I put in helped. Good luck to the rest of you still waiting!
Now on to the matter of actually paying for school as an international...
Congratulations!!! Do you know yet if you'll be attending?
Congratulations!!! Do you know yet if you'll be attending?
I would say I'm 95% certain at this point 🙂 the only thing I'm worried now is financing the tuition which has always been on the backburner but now will probably consume me for a couple of months.
They actually accepted me on May 28th and sent me out a packet via snail mail but I haven't received it yet. I only found out today when they called me. In fact, I had sent in a third letter of interest earlier this week, and when they confirmed receipt of the email/letter they didn't even mention that I was accepted! Lol.
Btw this is my first acceptance, so yeah, I'm very excited!
Hello. I have a genuine question. EVMS does not have a teaching hospital. Therefore, is the quality of education one will receive during the clinical years going to be equivalent with schools which have large teaching hospitals?
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
EVMS does not have a teaching hospital.
While EVMS may not own a hospital, it definitely has teaching hospitals - EVMS's main teaching hospitals are Sentara Norfolk and Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters (both located on the same campus as the school), which are also where most of EVMS's residency programs are based. They are both major regional tertiary care facilities.
EVMS provides an excellent clinical education, not only because of the affiliated hospitals, but also because of the faculty and great clinical training even during the first two years.
Last edited:
Thank you for your reply.
While EVMS may not own a hospital, it definitely has teaching hospitals - EVMS's main teaching hospitals are Sentara Norfolk and Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters (both located on the same campus as the school), which are also where most of EVMS's residency programs are based. They are both major regional tertiary care facilities.
EVMS provides an excellend clinical education, not only because of the affiliated hospitals, but also because of the faculty and great clinical training even during the first two years.
👍
How is the diversity of the school? I can't find any % breakdowns on the website.
How is the diversity of the school? I can't find any % breakdowns on the website.
Off the top of my head, out of ~115 students, about 25 are asian, 10 are african american, 80 are white, and there are a just a few of the other ethnicities.
Does anyone know how closely they try to keep the balance of the class when selecting people off the waitlist? For instance, I'm a 30-yo OOS F - do my chances of getting off the WL depend on another 30-yo OOS F declining, or is the adcom more flexible in this regard? I spoke with Ms. Potts, and she said Dr. Solhaug would be the only person who could provide insight, but I haven't yet been selected for one of his "waitlist consultation" phone calls (fingers still crossed...). Thank you!
I went to preview weekend just wanted to clear some things up about the EVMS waitlist...
The only demographic distinction EVMS makes when pulling from the waitlist is OOS or IS. There's none of this further demographic matching that people have talked about... i.e. if an accepted in-state applicant withdraws, someone from in-state is taken off the waitlist, but the gender, age, race, etc. of the person withdrawing has absolutely NOTHING to do with the person from the in-state waitlist who's accepted.
Also, the thirds aren't necessarily important when pulling people from the waitlist.
Just trying to make sure waitlisters have the right information about all of this stuff.
Good luck everyone 🙂
-STAT EKG
JDiver,
See the above quote from STAT EKG about the informational session Dr. Solhaug gave to the WLers at Preview Weekend. Hope this helps!

JDiver,
See the above quote from STAT EKG about the informational session Dr. Solhaug gave to the WLers at Preview Weekend. Hope this helps!
![]()
There is a third group -- international applicants. Around 6 or 7 total spots per class. Any internationals accepted there, particularly Canadians? I'm Canadian and I'm having an extremely tough time finding loans..
We just got the official tuition increase email from EVMS. If you're OOS, then you're looking at ~78,000/yr for cost of attendance
Anyone know if they've adjusted anything else (like living expenses)? I called but they were busy and had to leave a message.
Anyone know if they've adjusted anything else (like living expenses)? I called but they were busy and had to leave a message.
We just got the official tuition increase email from EVMS. If you're OOS, then you're looking at ~78,000/yr for cost of attendance![]()
Anyone know if they've adjusted anything else (like living expenses)? I called but they were busy and had to leave a message.
Wait what? I thought that OOS tuition was around 50-55,000?
We just got the official tuition increase email from EVMS. If you're OOS, then you're looking at ~78,000/yr for cost of attendance![]()
Anyone know if they've adjusted anything else (like living expenses)? I called but they were busy and had to leave a message.
http://www.evms.edu/financial-aid/projected-student-budget-md-program.html
Last year's info - says $49,000 for tuition with a total (living expenses, etc) at $69,000.
There is no way that the information you got is for tuition alone. It must be for all expenses just as they have broken it down in the past.
Woops you're right... I read it as an 8k bump in tuition. It's only 4k.
Still.... 74k for OOS cost of attendance? That's ridiculous.
Still.... 74k for OOS cost of attendance? That's ridiculous.
So I sent in my $100 deposit last Friday and called the Office of Admissions today and they said they received the deposit yesterday. I then asked them whether they would send me a welcome packet or something but they said I won't receive anything more from the Office of Admissions, but will probably receive something from the Fin. Aid office 😕😕
Is that how it usually goes? While I know orientation starts on Aug 16, when will I get information on where orientation is located, visa requirements (i'm Canadian), and/or an evms email/account?
Wait where did you see this? I couldn't find any info about tuition on the EVMS website, weird. This is not good for me!!!
edit:
http://www.evms.edu/financial-aid/projected-student-budget-md-program.html
:O
Is that how it usually goes? While I know orientation starts on Aug 16, when will I get information on where orientation is located, visa requirements (i'm Canadian), and/or an evms email/account?
Woops you're right... I read it as an 8k bump in tuition. It's only 4k.
Still.... 74k for OOS cost of attendance? That's ridiculous.
Wait where did you see this? I couldn't find any info about tuition on the EVMS website, weird. This is not good for me!!!
edit:
http://www.evms.edu/financial-aid/projected-student-budget-md-program.html
:O
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I sent in my $100 deposit last Friday and called the Office of Admissions today and they said they received the deposit yesterday. I then asked them whether they would send me a welcome packet or something but they said I won't receive anything more from the Office of Admissions, but will probably receive something from the Fin. Aid office 😕😕
Is that how it usually goes? While I know orientation starts on Aug 16, when will I get information on where orientation is located, visa requirements (i'm Canadian), and/or an evms email/account?
Wait where did you see this? I couldn't find any info about tuition on the EVMS website, weird. This is not good for me!!!
edit:
http://www.evms.edu/financial-aid/projected-student-budget-md-program.html
:O
I can't speak towards visa requirements or anything like that, but here's some info about orientation:
Be at the atrium outside Brickell Library NO LATER THAN 0900. They made it abundantly clear to us in the packet distributed during preview weekend that if you show up late to roll call, your seat in the class WILL be forfeited (and it HAS happened). Don't make the mistake of sleeping in that day.
Second, we won't get email addresses or anything like that until we are officially counted in the roll call (and officially matriculated).
Also, the financial aid stuff is available online (the applications). It'll come to you in the form of an email, but you can download and submit the forms (if they're applicable to you as an international student, that is) from the fin aid website.
If I am wrong with any of this, people, please correct. I definitely don't want to be giving out inaccurate information!
I can't speak towards visa requirements or anything like that, but here's some info about orientation:
Be at the atrium outside Brickell Library NO LATER THAN 0900. They made it abundantly clear to us in the packet distributed during preview weekend that if you show up late to roll call, your seat in the class WILL be forfeited (and it HAS happened). Don't make the mistake of sleeping in that day.
Second, we won't get email addresses or anything like that until we are officially counted in the roll call (and officially matriculated).
Also, the financial aid stuff is available online (the applications). It'll come to you in the form of an email, but you can download and submit the forms (if they're applicable to you as an international student, that is) from the fin aid website.
If I am wrong with any of this, people, please correct. I definitely don't want to be giving out inaccurate information!
So is the atrium the hallway outside the entrance of the library, down the hall from admissions?
Thanks for the info, although EVMS should be telling me this instead of having me find out myself, especially if my seat is at stake. I haven't gone to preview weekend, I've heard of people talking about it but what is it exactly and when is/was it?
Is there free parking for students on campus? Is there a forum for EVMS students?
Thanks =)
Does anyone know how closely they try to keep the balance of the class when selecting people off the waitlist? For instance, I'm a 30-yo OOS F - do my chances of getting off the WL depend on another 30-yo OOS F declining, or is the adcom more flexible in this regard? I spoke with Ms. Potts, and she said Dr. Solhaug would be the only person who could provide insight, but I haven't yet been selected for one of his "waitlist consultation" phone calls (fingers still crossed...). Thank you!
In addition to the quote I made before, I can anectdotally say that EVMS is very non-traditional friendly. Not that this was your question, but being 30 definitely won't hurt you and it might actually help you (Much of the time, 30-year-olds have their act together moreso than "traditional" applicants and are more likely to succeed because of this).
Also, you're OOS and the OOS waitlist is moving light years faster than IS, so you have that going for you (sucks for me though).
...and what are "waitlist consultation" phone calls? Never heard of that, but maybe that's just because I'm so close to the school (like five minutes away) and check in a bunch anyway... or maybe it's because I'm SOL, haha
Has any OOS (and IS) top-1/3 waitlisters who was not invited to preview weekend been accepted lately? Has the waitlist moved past the top-of-top third bunch?
No, I've been on the OOS waitlist since January and was not invited to Preview weekend. I've sent in multiple letters and my PI even wrote a letter on my behalf, but I called today and I'm still in the top-third. 🙁
In addition to the quote I made before, I can anectdotally say that EVMS is very non-traditional friendly. Not that this was your question, but being 30 definitely won't hurt you and it might actually help you (Much of the time, 30-year-olds have their act together moreso than "traditional" applicants and are more likely to succeed because of this).
Also, you're OOS and the OOS waitlist is moving light years faster than IS, so you have that going for you (sucks for me though).
...and what are "waitlist consultation" phone calls? Never heard of that, but maybe that's just because I'm so close to the school (like five minutes away) and check in a bunch anyway... or maybe it's because I'm SOL, haha
I can second this. When I interviewed, they told me that I was an excellent applicant despite the fact that I was "extremely young" at 23.
In addition to the quote I made before, I can anectdotally say that EVMS is very non-traditional friendly. Not that this was your question, but being 30 definitely won't hurt you and it might actually help you (Much of the time, 30-year-olds have their act together moreso than "traditional" applicants and are more likely to succeed because of this).
👍 on this... While I'm not quite 30, I'm certainly non-trad (took a lot of time off after college to do research, work, etc etc). I was very highly commended on branching out and exploring the world during my interview. I can also personally attest to being a LOT more squared away than I was coming right out of college. Looking back, I can honestly say that I would've either done horribly or lost my focus had I entered med school at 21.
Woops you're right... I read it as an 8k bump in tuition. It's only 4k.
Still.... 74k for OOS cost of attendance? That's ridiculous.
That sucks. That's a lot of money and the thing is... with 30 years interest, what students pay is more like 2-3 times the flat yearly tuition x 4. I actually turned down an OOS acceptance earlier on in the cycle because the pricetag was absurd. Lots of people have told me it was a huuuuge mistake, but I still think it was a good (albeit very tough) decision.
That sucks. That's a lot of money and the thing is... with 30 years interest, what students pay is more like 2-3 times the flat yearly tuition x 4. I actually turned down an OOS acceptance earlier on in the cycle because the pricetag was absurd. Lots of people have told me it was a huuuuge mistake, but I still think it was a good (albeit very tough) decision.
That's why I'm going to have a cash-only practice when I'm done, baby!!!
Has any OOS (and IS) top-1/3 waitlisters who was not invited to preview weekend been accepted lately? Has the waitlist moved past the top-of-top third bunch?
I wasn't invited to the preview weekend and I got accepted about a week ago, was in the top third of the waitlist, i'm oos/international
some questions from earlier: Is there free parking for students on campus? Is there a forum for EVMS students?
I wasn't invited to the preview weekend and I got accepted about a week ago, was in the top third of the waitlist, i'm oos/international
some questions from earlier: Is there free parking for students on campus? Is there a forum for EVMS students?
Yes, in the designated faculty/student parking deck in the hospital garage.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Getting there, waiting to make sure everything is right before submitting AMCAS. It says transmission doesn't occur until the 25th, not sure if that's going to cause some sort of backlog though. Also looking at a possible MCAT retake, heard from EVMS adcom officers that one particular section score is keeping me from an entry. Bummer 🙁
Getting there, waiting to make sure everything is right before submitting AMCAS. It says transmission doesn't occur until the 25th, not sure if that's going to cause some sort of backlog though. Also looking at a possible MCAT retake, heard from EVMS adcom officers that one particular section score is keeping me from an entry. Bummer 🙁
Verbal? I'd heard from EVMS (and several other places) that they're looking for a solid verbal moreso than a solid score in BS or PS.
...or maybe not, maybe you're talking about physical sciences, lol
has anyone still waitlisted begun reapplying yet?
Not yet, but it would take me maybe two days to get everything ready if I decided to re-apply. If I don't get in, I'm only applying early decision to EVMS. If that doesn't work out, I'll probably do my own thing for a few years before deciding whether or not to apply again.
verbal section is what's keeping me from getting in off the WL too... hopefully the WL picks up
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K