2009-2010 Georgetown Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is definitely an investment. No one likes to have what is essentially another mortgage when they graduate from med school, but there is a reason why financial institutions love giving out student loans especially for med school. They know when you're a doc you'll be able to pay it back. No matter what specialty or where you practice in the future, you'll be able to pay it back.

So in the long run, I don't think the degree of debt makes a big difference. Maybe you'll be driving a Kia instead of a Lexus and wearing Banana Republic instead of Brooks Brothers. For the record, I don't own a car or wear those two brands, I'm just using them as an example. Just go wherever you're happiest, cuz that'll make your experience better, make your classmates happier, make your attendings happier, and make your patients happier.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, me and my fiance are both going to be taking out like 70,000 a year in loans... if my financial status were extremely important to me, Georgetown wouldn't be a great option. But it's not and I liked Georgetown enough to be in debt for five or six more years. But then again, this is only good for me b/c I know its not going to cause me any turmoil being in debt.

I also wasn't able to make it to the second look. Glad to hear that most had a positive experience.

Anyone else ready to get off of sdn and start medschool? lol

It is definitely person specific why you would want to attend one school over another. I guess I was looking for them to speak more on what attracted them to Georgetown. I believed Dr Williams touched on it some when she talked about the type of students Georgetown attracts. I did get a chance to talk to more students and heard their take on what they would change about the school and what they loved so it turned out fine. I guess for me since it's such a huge investment I want to know that I will be happy there and have the support to do well. I did get a feeling that the administration cared about their students. I am very interested in social justice and the different opportunities that are available in DC and GU. I guess we will see what happens after I check out a few more second looks and get financial aid

Members don't see this ad :)
My 2nd year student guide was pretty talkative about how much he loves the school, but he did say that there were some administration annoyances that they had to deal with. It was mainly that they were in the middle of changing the curriculum when he came into the Georgetown, so there were a couple glitches to work out. He did say that the administration asked the students that year what worked and what didn't, and in the end lots of things got changed for the better. By the time the class of 2014 rolls in, I'm sure it will be much smoother than it was for the class of 2012.

Couple of questions:
1)Does anyone know when financial aid packages come out?
2) I can't find the facebook group for C/O 2014 that was supposedly started. Do we need an invite to join?

In the past, fin aid has come out mid April. Maybe someone who had an appointment with fin aid can answer it better.

The kind of students Gtown attracts is a hard question. I'll try to remember what Dean Mitchell said so I keep my opinion out of it. He started off the day by basically saying he knows what gtown students look like. Talked about people who care about curas personalis, who wants to make a difference, hard workers. He also said we were "hard wired to be competitive". Which I think is pretty generic across the board at all medical schools. From what I saw, the students are extremely down to earth, no sense of ego, very dedicated even to causes outside of the classroom like the clinic and powderpuff games. Very genuine, didn't feel like each person was only looking out for his or her self interest.

I agree with everything CUBR said, but I will inject my own opinion into it. Yeah, it is obvious that everyone works hard, but I didn't get the "I'm better than you" vibe from either the students or the other accepted people. I did get that feeling at other medical schools, and didn't appreciate their sense of superiority. I love that they have a powderpuff football game, as I am a fairly fantastic offensive tackle myself. It must get intense, because people break bones and stuff.

I too had a great time at 2nd look. for me the social was the most fun as it was not as formal and students had no reason to be dishonest. I also have a few friends in DC who attend Gtown and had a great time over friday, sat, and sunday. I am looking forward to moving in july / aug.

Something i thought was interesting from the program: Perhaps gtown is moving to a pass / fail grading system? There was something else dr. mitchell mentioned was pending as well, but i cannot remember what it was. Did anyone else get the impression these potential changes will effect us?

Hey guys, let me ask ya'll about some bad news.

Today was the day that my $100 deposit was due to reserve my place in the class. I think I forgot to pay it (its hard keeping up with the schools I sent checks to). In my acceptance packet, it said my acceptance would be withdrawn if I didn't pay it by today. I've already left Brandon Schneider a phone message and two emails, as well as put a $100 check in the mail.

What do you think my chances are of getting pulled out of GUSOM for this little mistake?

Hey guys, let me ask ya'll about some bad news.

Today was the day that my $100 deposit was due to reserve my place in the class. I think I forgot to pay it (its hard keeping up with the schools I sent checks to). In my acceptance packet, it said my acceptance would be withdrawn if I didn't pay it by today. I've already left Brandon Schneider a phone message and two emails, as well as put a $100 check in the mail.

What do you think my chances are of getting pulled out of GUSOM for this little mistake?

My bet is that they let it slide. I have no basis for that opinion but I highly doubt they'd take a spot away from someone who is obviously very interested in the spot

I don't think the pass/fail decision will affect us during the first year. Maybe second and third? I think the other thing was the way testing is going to be done. They might start to require a laptop so we can take electronic tests.

I thought how it was funny that Dean Mitchell described the game as flag football where you take the person to the ground then take the flag. Can't wait.

Last edited:
haha yes...i too am excited for the event (i will be watching)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also pretty good as a D-end...I just like hitting things I guess. :rolleyes: Any girls out there to channel their inner Peyton Manning and take charge at the QB position? And guys, who is going to be the coach?

I am also pretty good as a D-end...I just like hitting things I guess. :rolleyes: Any girls out there to channel their inner Peyton Manning and take charge at the QB position? And guys, who is going to be the coach?

COACH? No coach, FREE FOR ALL. lol

I know students for Georgetown go to Hopkins to do a MPH if they wanted to. Does anyone know anything more? Hopkins has a part-time program, are Georgetown students allowed to do that?

And guys, who is going to be the coach?

I can coach. If you want to catch the M2s however, we need to start a game plan now! What rules do they play by (# people on the field, policy on contact, etc.)?

You should also find the M2 QB, and start talking trash immediately. As a D-end, it's a critical part of your game - plus it's pretty easy to get into the heads of med-students.

Thanks for posting about the second look weekend everyone! I wish I could have been there. I have a few questions that some of you might be able to answer:

1. Overall, do people tend to get their first choice for residence (or one of their top three)? I know someone said earlier that they think this is true...

2. Are people there happy with the overall class size there?

3. Are the students really competitive with eachother or is it one of those environments where people help eachother study?

4. How do they do on the USMLE generally?

Thanks everyone!

Here's what I got out of it from talking to students

1. Yes, most get into one of their 3 top choice residencies. Many go onto a top 20 program.

2. Yes. M1 share their class with SMP students however, so it can feel a bit crowed the first year. After that it doesn't seem like many, at least the ones I talked to, even attend class. The M2 lecture we sat in on couldn't of had more than 100 people.

3. Some are some aren't. All the interactions I had were great and the students seemed to really support each other. All the gunners must have been secluded to the library or something...

4. Seems like they do pretty well... but doesn't every school claim this?

I can coach. If you want to catch the M2s however, we need to start a game plan now! What rules do they play by (# people on the field, policy on contact, etc.)?

It seems like you guys have everything covered. I'll just bring a lawn chair and couple cold ones.

1. 90% got into their top three programs.
2. Students seemed to be happy. Everyone had their group of friends.
3. I think it was a happy medium. Competitive enough to push each other, but not enough to get in the way of each other.
4. I'm sure they do well, otherwise number 1 wouldn't be true.

Those of you who got in off the CAP, how did you hear? Letter, phone call, e-mail?

Those of you who got in off the CAP, how did you hear? Letter, phone call, e-mail?

An email informs you that you have been accepted and also tells you that your acceptance letter will be mailed shortly thereafter.

You should also find the M2 QB, and start talking trash immediately. As a D-end, it's a critical part of your game - plus it's pretty easy to get into the heads of med-students.

When I finally figure out if I am going to GTown for sure, my next step is going to be gearing up for this game. Finding the rival QB could be difficult, but I have some trash talk prepared:

You think you are going to pass your Step 1s? You don't know pyruvate dehydrogenase from transaminase!

Come on, we both know you throw like a girl.

How are you supposed to get into a competitive residency when they find out how you choked and lost to the M1s?

They call me "Dr. Sack!"

Any other trash talk suggestions would be helpful. I'll work on channeling my inner Reggie White.

Seriously...I had them going to the elite eight. Well I hope next year will have a better outcome. Rumor has it that Monroe is going to stay on another year so that's a plus!

Seriously...I had them going to the elite eight. Well I hope next year will have a better outcome. Rumor has it that Monroe is going to stay on another year so that's a plus!

Georgetown and Vandy destroyed my bracket. I hope he sticks around. I'm not sure he will though. If he gets a high enough draft stock nba reps, family and friends may be able to entice him with money and fame.

Georgetown and Vandy destroyed my bracket. I hope he sticks around. I'm not sure he will though. If he gets a high enough draft stock nba reps, family and friends may be able to entice him with money and fame.

That's true but I don't think his performance as of late will entice any teams to draft him too highly.

does anyone know how many weeks georgetown gives you to study the USMLE?

does anyone know how many weeks georgetown gives you to study the USMLE?

You can choose to take the test when you want. You can take your 6-8 weeks during your summer to study for it if you want or you can choose to take it earlier after school gets out. School ends usually late April or the first of May I think and you don't have to take it until the end of June before clinicals begin. Also, most of the exams are written to prep you for step 1 so you're going to be fairly familiar with the style of the test before you even start studying. Every bit helps. If anyone knows anything more, please enlighten.

Goodbye Bracket...Nice knowing you...

Yeah that Georgetown game was embarrassing. I, too, had them going to the Elite 8. Vandy was supposed to go to the 16. I will try not to let it influence my med school decision though. At least Kansas is still in and is going to win it all.

Serious question now though:
When I went to talk to financial aid, they said that all the scholarships were given out with acceptances. Did anyone here get a scholarship offer, or are those only for people with 45 MCATs and 4.5 GPAs in rocket science who spent their entire lives helping orphans in West Africa?

When I talked to financial aid they said that all packages would be given around April 19th (Both Institutional Aid and Loans). Remember, there is only need based scholarships, no merit based, so they would at least have to wait until after they receive the fafsa.
Goodbye Bracket...Nice knowing you...

Yeah that Georgetown game was embarrassing. I, too, had them going to the Elite 8. Vandy was supposed to go to the 16. I will try not to let it influence my med school decision though. At least Kansas is still in and is going to win it all.

Serious question now though:
When I went to talk to financial aid, they said that all the scholarships were given out with acceptances. Did anyone here get a scholarship offer, or are those only for people with 45 MCATs and 4.5 GPAs in rocket science who spent their entire lives helping orphans in West Africa?

Great year for Anesthesiology Matches. Fewer matches into Georgetown programs than in the past (I don't know if that's a good sign or a bad sign). Would like to see more Pathology matches (I especially liked Vanderbilt's 7 fantastic Pathology matches). Once again I am impressed at how Georgetown students place all over the country.

Anesthesiology:
NYP - Weill Cornell Med Ctr
Mayo - Rochester MN
Stanford
Dartmouth
UCLA Medical Ctr
UCSF
Northwestern University
University of Pittsburgh Med Ctr
University of Chicago
UC San Diego
Thomas Jefferson Univ - PA
Brooke Army Med Ctr

Diagnostic Radiology:
Georgetown (x2)
BI Deaconess Med Ctr - MA
UCSF
UCLA Medical Ctr
Mt. Sinai Hospital - NY
University of Maryland
Univ. of North Carolina
Temple University

Emergency Medicine:
Washington Hospital Center (x3)
St. Lukes Roosevelt - NY (x2)
Stanford
University of Chicago
BI Deaconess Med Ctr - MA
George Washington University
Univ. of Massachusetts
University of Cincinnati - OH
Drexel University
UMDNJ -RW Johnson
Advocate Christ Medical Center -IL
Eastern VA Medical School
Resurrection Med Ctr - IL
Alameda Co Med Ctr - CA
San Antonio Military Medical Center

Family Medicine:
Einstein - NY (x3)
Swedish Medical Center - WA (x3)
Univ. of North Carolina (x2)
UCLA Medical Ctr
Group Health Coop - WA
Univ. of Colorado - Denver
Mtn Area Health Ed Ctr - NC
Jamaica Hosp Med Ctr - NY
Sutter Medical Center of Santa Rosa
Exempla St. Joseph Hospital - CO
Providence Hospital - DC

General Surgery:
Univ. of Massachusetts (x2)
Barnes - Jewish Hospital (WUSTL)
University of Alabama
Southern Illionis School of Medicine
Boston University
Univ. of Minnesota
Naval Med Ctr - VA
University of Virginia
Thomas Jefferson Univ - PA
North Shore - LIJ - NY

Internal Medicine:
Georgetown (x8)
Mt. Sinai Hospital - NY (x4)
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center- CA (x2)
Yale (x2)
Univ. of Colorado - Denver (x2)
BI Deaconess Med Ctr - MA (x3)
Duke University
Massachusetts Gen Hospital
Mayo - Rochester MN
University of Chicago
University of Virginia
UCLA Medical Ctr
Case Western University - OH
Northwestern University
University of Rochester
University of Washington
West Virginia University
Wright Patterson AFB
University of Arizona
Naval Med Ctr - VA
National Capital Consortium - MD
Rush University - IL
Washington Hospital Center
NY Hosp Med Ctr Queens
Virginia Mason Med Ctr - WA
Ohio State University Med Ctr
Lenox Hill Hospital - NY
Greenville Hospital System
North Shore - LIJ - NY

Medicine - Dermatology
Univ. of Minnesota

Medicine - Pediatrics:
Christiana Care - DE
Baystate Med Ctr - MA
Rush University - IL

Neurological Surgery:
Univ. of Minnesota
University of Virginia
Cleveland Clinic - OH

Neurology:
Georgetown (x2)
Mt. Sinai Hospital - NY (x2)
UCLA Medical Ctr
Einstein - NY

OBGYN:
Einstein - NY
Univ. of Tennessee
Mt. Sinai Hospital - NY

Ophthalmology:
University of Florida
University of Texas - Galveston
Georgetown

Orthopaedic Surgery:
Georgetown (x2)
Mayo - Rochester MN
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Northwestern University
Stanford
Univ. of Massachusetts
Hershey Med Ctr. Penn State
Monmouth Medical Ctr - NJ
Albert Einstein Med Ctr - PA
SUNY Stony Brook
Lenox Hill Hospital - NY

Otolaryngology:
Georgetown
Mass. General Eye and Ear Infirmary
Northwestern University
Univ. of Utah

Pathology:
Northwestern University

Pediatrics:
Georgetown (x3)
NYP - Weill Cornell Med Ctr (x3)
Northwestern University (x2)
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Yale
UCSF
Case Western University - OH
University of Minnesota
Baystate Med Ctr - MA
St. Louis Univ. SOM
Kaiser Permanente - Southern CA
Loma Linda University - CA

Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation:
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Northwestern University
Virginia Commonwealth University
Loma Linda University - CA

Psychiatry:
NYP - Columbia University
Massachusetts Gen Hospital
University of Southern California
Georgetown
Mt. Sinai Hospital - NY
Johns Hopkins Hospital
George Washington University

Urology:
University of Toledo
Georgetown

Just withdrew post-acceptance.

:luck: to those on the WL!

where ya headed Bam?

Mayo most likely, but we'll see what happens for sure come this summer.

I enjoyed Georgetown and LOVE DC, but this is the right decision at this point.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
The diversity in the match list is crazy good with so many people going to so many different programs, which says something about Georgetown's reputation. I'd rather see graduates go to 100 different residency programs all over the country than half of them go to one feeder school that's really nice in the area, etc. I do wonder, however, why so few matched at Georgetown. Hope it's not because they wanted to get away haha Regardless, I'm impressed.

Mayo most likely, but we'll see what happens for sure come this summer.

I enjoyed Georgetown and LOVE DC, but this is the right decision at this point.

Good luck everyone!

I respect that mucho. Best of luck!

I do wonder, however, why so few matched at Georgetown. Hope it's not because they wanted to get away haha Regardless, I'm impressed.

Yeah, I wondered that at first but I think people just want to move back to their home towns / move to a different city. The Internal Medicine clerkship director essentially told us that if he could fill most of his residency spots with Georgetown students he would, it's just that a lot of the Internal Medicine students wind up getting into better programs than Georgetown. This year there were about 7-10 less matching into Georgetown than last year, but last year may have been an anomaly.

Yeah, I wondered that at first but I think people just want to move back to their home towns / move to a different city. The Internal Medicine clerkship director essentially told us that if he could fill most of his residency spots with Georgetown students he would, it's just that a lot of the Internal Medicine students wind up getting into better programs than Georgetown. This year there were about 7-10 less matching into Georgetown than last year, but last year may have been an anomaly.

Hey Blackbird,

Good to see you posting here for us soon/wanna be Gtown students. One of my top choices. (only one other)

Quick question for you. Do you think the grading system in years MS1 and MS2 has a big effect on your residency placement for competitive specialties coming from Gtown. A lot of schools dont and I was wondering if two students, one with P/F first/second year and another with grading scheme from Gtown would be favored if he did well or worst, OVERLOOKED if he had only passes, with everything else the same.

Just curious. Your thoughts are valued.
:thumbup:

Hey Blackbird,

Good to see you posting here for us soon/wanna be Gtown students. One of my top choices. (only one other)

Quick question for you. Do you think the grading system in years MS1 and MS2 has a big effect on your residency placement for competitive specialties coming from Gtown. A lot of schools dont and I was wondering if two students, one with P/F first/second year and another with grading scheme from Gtown would be favored if he did well or worst, OVERLOOKED if he had only passes, with everything else the same.

Just curious. Your thoughts are valued.
:thumbup:

Hmm, that's a hard question to answer. Will a student from Georgetown with great grades 1st and 2nd year do as well in the match as a student from a comparably ranked school with P/F (with everything else equal)? Yes, without a doubt I think grades would help in that situation. But you have to remember that a lot of the P/F school still internally rank you, and that rank will come out in the Dean's letter sent to residency directors. On the other hand, I believe that a Pass from Georgetown looks similar to a Pass from a P/F school (how could they not, they are both Passes on the transcript), in most cases! I can also see how a P/F curriculum may lend an advantage since it brings everyone to the same level and may make some students who didn't do so Hot in medical school more competitive. I think a lot of it comes down to whether you know if the school with P/F internally ranks their students, how they rank them (percentiles or strict numerical rankings), and whether or not they even release these internal rankings to residency directors.

So...heh it's a complicated answer for a complicated question. Look at Stanford Medicine. They used to have P/F or something similar for all four years!. Well they recently changed that, because they felt that it may not be helping their students stand out from the rest of the top schools that have grading in the last two years. So, I think grades can definitely help more than they can hurt to be honest. The grading scheme here does not create any sense of malicious competition, so that's good.

Last thing: I think the administration is looking into switching the grading scheme to P/F. Probably won't affect your first year, maybe your second year, but the administration has been asking students about it for some time now, and I think the gears are in motion.

Hmm, that's a hard question to answer. Will a student from Georgetown with great grades 1st and 2nd year do as well in the match as a student from a comparably ranked school with P/F (with everything else equal)? Yes, without a doubt I think grades would help in that situation. But you have to remember that a lot of the P/F school still internally rank you, and that rank will come out in the Dean's letter sent to residency directors. On the other hand, I believe that a Pass from Georgetown looks similar to a Pass from a P/F school (how could they not, they are both Passes on the transcript), in most cases! I can also see how a P/F curriculum may lend an advantage since it brings everyone to the same level and may make some students who didn't do so Hot in medical school more competitive. I think a lot of it comes down to whether you know if the school with P/F internally ranks their students, how they rank them (percentiles or strict numerical rankings), and whether or not they even release these internal rankings to residency directors.

So...heh it's a complicated answer for a complicated question. Look at Stanford Medicine. They used to have P/F or something similar for all four years!. Well they recently changed that, because they felt that it may not be helping their students stand out from the rest of the top schools that have grading in the last two years. So, I think grades can definitely help more than they can hurt to be honest. The grading scheme here does not create any sense of malicious competition, so that's good.

Last thing: I think the administration is looking into switching the grading scheme to P/F. Probably won't affect your first year, maybe your second year, but the administration has been asking students about it for some time now, and I think the gears are in motion.

WOW, and we keep tumbling down the rabbit hole.

But thank you, that was VERY helpful! Some important things to think over. Greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.