You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2009-2010 Johns Hopkins Application Thread
Started by shemarty
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
For the areas of medicine question, is it okay to write about a field you haven't done any work in or shadowed doctors in?
I'm sure it's fine. It's just saying what you are interested in.
So why do we have to submit online and then mail it in? 😕
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Photograph and perhaps the fact that they keep paper folders for everyone and do not want to print each app out? Iono..
I'm having a similar problem and contacted tech support. Still waiting to hear back...
I have finished this secondary but am too afraid to submit, not sure if my essays fit the prompts. I have got them proof-read but the people whose help I took just read for grammar and flow, they do not know much about how medical schools review this. Any suggestions?
I have finished this secondary but am too afraid to submit, not sure if my essays fit the prompts. I have got them proof-read but the people whose help I took just read for grammar and flow, they do not know much about how medical schools review this. Any suggestions?
Deep breath. Press submit. You'll be fine. 👍
Deep breath. Press submit. You'll be fine. 👍
did you guys get an email inviting to fill out the secondary?
did you guys get an email inviting to fill out the secondary?
Nope. Did it anyway.
Nope. Did it anyway.
but where would you send the hard copy?
but where would you send the hard copy?
After you submit, they give you an address to mail it to.
After you submit, they give you an address to mail it to.
great. thanks!
UPDATE: For those of you who are experiencing problems with the PDF version of the app differing from the online app, tech support responded to me and said what you see on the ONLINE application is what the school sees. When you print out the PDF, fill in the information that is missing (in most cases, the third LOR info spaces) and submit that way and they will understand.I'm having a similar problem and contacted tech support. Still waiting to hear back...
Hope this helps!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The Visa is specifically meant for students on an educational visa such as F-1.
UPDATE: For those of you who are experiencing problems with the PDF version of the app differing from the online app, tech support responded to me and said what you see on the ONLINE application is what the school sees. When you print out the PDF, fill in the information that is missing (in most cases, the third LOR info spaces) and submit that way and they will understand.
Hope this helps!
Fill it in how? By hand? Or do they want it typed? Who the hell has a typewriter anymore?
I'm done writing my stuff but I'm not sure if I should submit before getting invited..
What can it hurt?
Just want to confirm that the If Applicable/Majority question is for URM. Is this true? Or does this apply to anyone not caucasian? haha
Just want to confirm that the If Applicable/Majority question is for URM. Is this true? Or does this apply to anyone not caucasian? haha
It applies to anyone who hasn't been in the majority at some point in their life. I'm white and I wrote it. It just wasn't about race.
It applies to anyone who hasn't been in the majority at some point in their life. I'm white and I wrote it. It just wasn't about race.
Ah, gotcha, thanks. My friend will be delighted to know they are not done with that secondary yet, lol.
They said to print a copy of the application after submission but I don't see any link to get this pdf version. I did manage to save the copy prior to submission but that does not have the final details of submission filled in at the bottom. What did everyone else do for it? Is there a link where I can print the most updated version from?
Did anyone get a complete email or know where we can check to see if we are complete? Do we just have to call them and find out? You would think they would do something that would be a little easier on themselves than having everyone call in.....
Last year they sent an email I believe. But I haven't heard anything yet.
Ahh, I see. Thanks, good to know that I'm not alone in my anxiety to be complete 😀Last year they sent an email I believe. But I haven't heard anything yet.
Just received this email (there was an attachment with more info):
Hello: We are delighted that you have chosen The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine as one of your designated schools on the AMCAS site. Please read carefully the attached letter from James L. Weiss , M.D., Associate Dean and Chair of the Committee on Admission and Hermione M. Hicks, M.P.A., Assistant Dean for Admissions. If you havent yet completed the on-line secondary application, this letter contains information regarding that process and other important facts about Hopkins.
Thank you.
Valerie Mazza
Director of Admissions
Hello: We are delighted that you have chosen The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine as one of your designated schools on the AMCAS site. Please read carefully the attached letter from James L. Weiss , M.D., Associate Dean and Chair of the Committee on Admission and Hermione M. Hicks, M.P.A., Assistant Dean for Admissions. If you havent yet completed the on-line secondary application, this letter contains information regarding that process and other important facts about Hopkins.
Thank you.
Valerie Mazza
Director of Admissions
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just received this email (there was an attachment with more info):
Hello: We are delighted that you have chosen The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine as one of your designated schools on the AMCAS site. Please read carefully the attached letter from James L. Weiss , M.D., Associate Dean and Chair of the Committee on Admission and Hermione M. Hicks, M.P.A., Assistant Dean for Admissions. If you havent yet completed the on-line secondary application, this letter contains information regarding that process and other important facts about Hopkins.
Thank you.
Valerie Mazza
Director of Admissions
I also just received this email...
omg I never knew there actually were people named 'Hermione'
And we get this email the day of the midnight release. JHU just became my top school.

omg I never knew there actually were people named 'Hermione'
IIRC, it's a fairly common female name in Britain but is rare in the rest of the English-speaking world.
IIRC, it's a fairly common female name in Britain but is rare in the rest of the English-speaking world.
haha I kid I kid, but just thought it was neat. I've never met anyone named Hermione. Therefore, I hope I get an interview here solely for that purpose... oh yeah, and jhu isn't too bad of a school either
So...stories i've heard are from older people who used library books (*chuckle*). Apparently students would tear pages out of the only textbook required for a class (or whatever) just so no one else could read it...anything like that anymore?
They actually do that at my college 😳.. lol... embarrassed. One Psychology class I took in particular, it had no textbook, but we had to read a lot of review articles (a lot! ~100pg per week), and also some chapters from old textbooks on short-term loan from the library. So yeah, those chapters were actually ripped out, so the prof had to cancel that reading...
did you guys get an email inviting to fill out the secondary?
Yeah, I had an email
I am seriously struggling with this adversity question
edit: do you think I can just write about a challenging situation and how I overcame the obstacles...is that what they are looking for?
edit: do you think I can just write about a challenging situation and how I overcame the obstacles...is that what they are looking for?
I am seriously struggling with this adversity question
edit: do you think I can just write about a challenging situation and how I overcame the obstacles...is that what they are looking for?
I looked up the prompt to see what you are talking about...
Isn't the last question what you saying?
I looked up the prompt to see what you are talking about...
Isn't the last question what you saying?
Its jhu's last secondary Q. I think I figured it out...
Its jhu's last secondary Q. I think I figured it out...
lol ok 👍
haha I kid I kid, but just thought it was neat. I've never met anyone named Hermione. Therefore, I hope I get an interview here solely for that purpose... oh yeah, and jhu isn't too bad of a school either
Isn't one of the main characters in Harry Potter named Hermoine?
Isn't one of the main characters in Harry Potter named Hermoine?
Yes!!! Movie in 1 hours and 20 minutes. Woot!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For this question "Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment" is it best to refer to clinical specialties or can I talk about wanting to do medical research?
both seem like reasonable possibilities
So I finsihed the secondary yesterday and everything is saved and shows up on the online version, but in the pdf version one of my letters of recommendation is missing.
Can I still submit the secondary? Dosn't the application committee look at the online version and the print out is for record keeping?
I can write in the name of my thrid LOR manually with a pen?
I am trying to call the admissions office and get a person to clarify but so far just an answering machine.
Thoughts?
Can I still submit the secondary? Dosn't the application committee look at the online version and the print out is for record keeping?
I can write in the name of my thrid LOR manually with a pen?
I am trying to call the admissions office and get a person to clarify but so far just an answering machine.
Thoughts?
So I finsihed the secondary yesterday and everything is saved and shows up on the online version, but in the pdf version one of my letters of recommendation is missing.
Can I still submit the secondary? Dosn't the application committee look at the online version and the print out is for record keeping?
I can write in the name of my thrid LOR manually with a pen?
I am trying to call the admissions office and get a person to clarify but so far just an answering machine.
Thoughts?
I think we already addressed this. Just write it in.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K