2009-2010 Michigan State Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
congratulations to all of you who have interviews! I am still under review (3 weeks or so now). I have an invite at another MI school coming up and am kind of tempted to let MSU-CHM know I'll be in the area in case they want to meet me (which they do😀), but I don't want to be presumptuous. I know there are lots of threads on SDN discussing this issue, but has anyone done this wrt MSU? I certainly wouldn't mind making two trips to MI (I have family there) but it's always nice to save $ and to reduce the carbon footprint a bit...

You should mention the carbon footprint...they will surely think their answer through, heck they might even give you a full ride and make the dean of their school....jk lol I don't see how it could hurt, give em a call and see how things go.... good Luck!!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got an interview invite for the 27th!!! I feel Awesome.... although I have two acceptances.... this invite was very exciting!

Complete 08/04
Invite 09/15
interview 09/27

Excellent; congrats -- on this interview and the two acceptances. That's a pretty sweet track record. Good job.
 
Anyone else complete before/since 8-25 and not had any status updates since then? I am still under "preliminary review" from that date.
 
For those of you "still under preliminary review," that status will not change until you receive an interview invite. There is no intermediate status. Interviews have BARELY begun to be given out. The first interview day was YESTERDAY, for goodness sakes. Don't be worried yet if you haven't heard anything.

That being said, even if it gets to be October and November and you still haven't heard anything when you were complete in August or July, it may not be a silent rejection. Michigan State shelves a certain proportion of applications to look at again after the new year. There is no status change if you are "shelved," nor will they tell you if you call about it. I know that right now the idea of a February or March interview sounds horrible, but it may be better than no interview at all, right?
 
For those of you "still under preliminary review," that status will not change until you receive an interview invite. There is no intermediate status. Interviews have BARELY begun to be given out. The first interview day was YESTERDAY, for goodness sakes. Don't be worried yet if you haven't heard anything.

That being said, even if it gets to be October and November and you still haven't heard anything when you were complete in August or July, it may not be a silent rejection. Michigan State shelves a certain proportion of applications to look at again after the new year. There is no status change if you are "shelved," nor will they tell you if you call about it. I know that right now the idea of a February or March interview sounds horrible, but it may be better than no interview at all, right?

THANK YOU!
Was not aware, it helps to know not to check it anymore. 🙄
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
how'd it go? i had to move my interview to next week.

It was terrific. Everyone was extremely cool. I would be thrilled to have the opportunity to be a med student there. The interview day was a great time. You will enjoy your visit, I promise. Good luck. Let us know.
 
Interview hold.... so sad

I'm sorry, man. But you might hear back from them soon. It's a wicked competitive place -- especially for OOS, so a hold is just a little delay, really. Press on. Your MDApps profile is great.
 
Last edited:
how'd it go? i had to move my interview to next week.

Ruiner,

Good luck with the interview. It's this week, yes? Thursday? You'll love the place. Everyone there was awesome. I had a great time. I would LOVE to be a med student there. The students all seemed so happy and organized and glad to be there. What could be better than that?
 
Class of 2014! I will be a medical student at MSU CHM. I am stoked! I am thanking God. Good luck to the rest of you. Keep us all posted.
 
Class of 2014! I will be a medical student at MSU CHM. I am stoked! I am thanking God. Good luck to the rest of you. Keep us all posted.

congratulations, netminder! now enjoy the rest of your (a bit less than a) year before med school starts!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations, Netminder! I'm very happy that the EDP worked out so well for you. Now, revel in your acceptedness while many of your peers sweat until May.

To Food: Michigan State is semi-rolling, so in that sense it isn't too late to apply. Be aware, however, that it is a niche school. You'll have a hard time getting in unless you can prove some ties to Michigan or a desire backed up by extra-curriculars to work with the underserved. In addition, MSU is wickedly expensive out of state, over 60,000 dollars per year in tuition alone for the class starting in 2010. I'm not saying this to discourage you from applying, but to let you know facts I would want to know if I were in your position.
 
Congratulations, Netminder! I'm very happy that the EDP worked out so well for you. Now, revel in your acceptedness while many of your peers sweat until May.

To Food: Michigan State is semi-rolling, so in that sense it isn't too late to apply. Be aware, however, that it is a niche school. You'll have a hard time getting in unless you can prove some ties to Michigan or a desire backed up by extra-curriculars to work with the underserved. In addition, MSU is wickedly expensive out of state, over 60,000 dollars per year in tuition alone for the class starting in 2010. I'm not saying this to discourage you from applying, but to let you know facts I would want to know if I were in your position.

Thank you - I think I will go ahead and give it a shot.
 
netminder, ask them to give me interview invite.😛

Thanks, BlueElmo. I'll see what I can do. I don't think I'm carrying too much weight as an MS0, though. Good luck to you. I hope you will be hearing from lots of places soon.
 
Hi, All.

Does anyone have any news? I would love to hear from you. Good luck. You will do great things. Believe in yourselves.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interview invite today for 10/15!!! Email and status page update. I've been complete since 8/4 and I wasn't put on hold.

Hopefully I'm not the only one!
 
Interview invite today as well for 10/15 🙂 I've been complete for a while. IS.
 
Last edited:
I still haven't heard anything since my interview, but the website says that the first day they're handing out invites for non-EDPs is Oct 15. One of the med students I ate lunch with on interview day said he interviewed in mid-september and didn't hear ANYTHING from them until january! hopefully that won't happen this year :scared:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.