2009-2010 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still have no downloaded my letters of req! Been 3 weeks. Has anyone been complete yet? Should i contact them?

Mike

I wouldn't be concerned at all yet. The admissions office has been really busy and was off for much of this week because of student orientation. They'll get you squared away soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know where I can state that I have a fee waiver? Do I have to email them my fee waiver? There's only an option to pay. Thanks for your help.

you have to call them. I was their first FAPper.

Still have no downloaded my letters of req! Been 3 weeks. Has anyone been complete yet? Should i contact them?

Mike

don't contact them. they take forever to update the letters. just let it play out. I got my compelte email 8/7

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. I finished the secondary and hit the Submit button. It then said they sent me an email with a PIN to complete the application but I haven't seen it in my inbox yet. Anyone else had this issue? Maybe I'm being too impatient. :(

As an update, they did receive my application. They were backed up when I first submitted. So, if anyone doesn't get the email for their PIN right away, not to worry. Your application is not lost. Good luck!

sorry, didn't see this earlier...

GPA - 3.6, MCAT - 28Q (yes, there's hope! lolz), sorta non-trad, been doing full time research since i graduated 2 yrs ago, have a pub and a conf. presentation, lots of comm service...

I just got a complete email this morning. What state are you in though?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview invite as well. Super stoked about it!
MCAT 33 BCPM 3.33 Cum 3.51 OOS

I really like their screening process. Everything is very transparent and straightforward. We could easily see the update on their website. Most importantly, application review does not take forever.

So can somebody help me to clarify this statement?

Only 60 slots will be available for students pursuing a medical degree, but another 30 will be available for a master of biomedical science, which would be a pathway into other medical fields. The school expects to have 100 M.D. enrollments in 2010 and 120 in 2011 and from then on.

Do they mean to enroll 100 new MD students in 2010 and 120 in 2011 or total MD students, meaning 40 MD students in in 2010 and 20 in 2011? If it is the former then wny is there a proportionally rise in MD students enrollment, or later a decrease. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

So can somebody help me to clarify this statement?

Only 60 slots will be available for students pursuing a medical degree, but another 30 will be available for a master of biomedical science, which would be a pathway into other medical fields. The school expects to have 100 M.D. enrollments in 2010 and 120 in 2011 and from then on.

Do they mean to enroll 100 new MD students in 2010 and 120 in 2011 or total MD students, meaning 40 MD students in in 2010 and 20 in 2011? If it is the former then wny is there a proportionally rise in MD students enrollment, or later a decrease. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

They will be enrolling 100 new MS1's in the fall of 2010 and 120 in the fall of 2011. They already have more applications this year than they had last year. Here's the dean's blog: http://newmedicalschool.blogspot.com/

My kid is in the first med student class at TCMC and she is very pleased so far. While the school is temporarily housed in Lackawanna CC, the new building opens in 2011. The curriculum has been well thought out and the faculty listens to the students concerns. Furthermore the school started out with $120,000,000 and they are still getting donations.:thumbup:

The people of Scranton have been very welcoming and the living costs in Scranton are dirt cheap!

If you live in the Northeast and are open minded about applying to a new school you should definitely apply.

Just got rejected here...it's particularly upsetting because they didn't wait for my updated MCAT score. GRRRRRRRRRR!!!! Had I known they wouldn't wait, I wouldn't have applied here in the first place or would have waited to submit the secondary until my new score was in.

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone still not get a friggin secondary :(... verified on 7/23, decent stats

thats when i was verified.. and i already got an interview invite.. you better email them

Interview Invite!!!

My Second One.

I am an OOS Applicant and was complete on 08/06/09

For those of you who have gotten interviews (congrats!), when was your application sent to screeners for evaluation? Mine was August 12th and I still haven't heard anything

For those of you who have gotten interviews (congrats!), when was your application sent to screeners for evaluation? Mine was August 12th and I still haven't heard anything

My App was sent to screeners on August 13th

Good Luck

Re-jected! c3.8/s3.9/29N OOS very nontrad, no research but lots of clinical. Good luck to everyone else! :)

Mine was sent 8/21 and heard back 8/24 and i am OOS

n618ft, I'm sorry to hear your rejection but were you notified via email or did you check their status page (don't remember if they have one) or some other method?

Thanks and GL

n618ft, I'm sorry to hear your rejection but were you notified via email or did you check their status page (don't remember if they have one) or some other method?

Thanks and GL

Email

Thanks and GL

They sent my rejection via email and filled in the "no interview offered" slot on my status page. Good luck to you.

Does anyone know how many people were accepted vs. interviewed last year? I don't have the newest MSAR or the US World News Report numbers. Thanks so much for any help. Cheers!

Got in interview invite today

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many people were accepted vs. interviewed last year? I don't have the newest MSAR or the US World News Report numbers. Thanks so much for any help. Cheers!

Yeah I want to know about that as well. From what I know and correct me if you may, this year TCMC will be offering from 400 interviews and of those 60 students will be matriculated, even though last year there were 65 students who enrolled. I think last year, they offer about 400 interviews, accepted about 200, and enroll 65. Again, correct me if you may.

question!!

so, on the 'are you related to anyone who works here' question ... i'm not related but.... someone who was recruited by them last year and is teaching their first class is a researcher i worked with for two years .... and wrote me a letter which i am sending to them ....

so should i say related or no? and if i say no, do you think they'll notice that i have a letter from someone on their staff?

rejection email today. :(

oh well. Too bad hteir MBS program doesn't have auto admissions.

question!!

so, on the 'are you related to anyone who works here' question ... i'm not related but.... someone who was recruited by them last year and is teaching their first class is a researcher i worked with for two years .... and wrote me a letter which i am sending to them ....

so should i say related or no? and if i say no, do you think they'll notice that i have a letter from someone on their staff?

no. if you aren't related (as in, a relative, not an acquaintance), you can't put that you are. But don't worry, if you know a professor or a researcher there, chances are that they will recognize the name and connect the dots...;)

Would anybody mind sharing how their interview went? Since this is a pretty new school, I didn't find much info about past interview feedback...

Just wanted to let you know I'm a current student at TCMC and I might be able to answer a few questions.

It is awesome, I couldn't dream of a better med school. It's even better than Dunder Mifflin.

I'd love to answer any questions you have. You asked about stats. The charter class was 70% PA, 3.5 gpa, 30 MCAT, 65 students. My stats were 34Q 3.61 PA resident if you care.

Someone asked about family, etc. I know in the student handbook they have a procedure to write a letter of recommendation for undergrad friends/relatives/etc. This is just a tidbit of how student centered TCMC is. They really listen to us here and try their best to help us.

We are currently housed in a temporary campus at Lackawanna College, primarily a college that gives 2 year degrees. The new building which you can see live via a webcam on the site will be done in 2011.

The 2010-2014 class will be 60ish students. Our temporary lecture hall is comfortable but can't hold much more than 70 without sitting on each other's laps. The person who asked about Pam from the office might be okay with this, but it'd stress me out and I'd have to go have a pint at Poor Richards after class because I get a bit claustrophobic. Also, the first class is 40 men and 25 women so you'd more than likely have a dude sitting on your lap anyway. But we don't discriminate here so if you're oriented like that, have fun.

The 2010-2014 class will be getting a 20k/year scholarship from the community to the best of my knowledge, which is the same as my charter (2009-2013) class got. This will continue until the new building is ready as far as i know. You either get a new building or 20 thousand, either way a pretty good deal! Once the new building is done they'll increase class size.

There are 1400ish apps so far according to the dean's blog... for those of you who like to calculate odds. :xf:

There ain't no party like a Scranton Party cuz a Scranton party don't stop. :luck: Oh... and scranton has something like the third largest St. Patty's day celebration in America after chicago and new york. Who cares about chicago dying their river green, we already have green everywhere because we actually have trees instead of just asphalt.

Sorry if this barely made sense, I just listened to three lectures and am slightly braindead.

I'll try to hop on here ~once a week to answer questions so keep them coming and stay interested in this uber new medical school!

Just wanted to let you know I'm a current student at TCMC and I might be able to answer a few questions.

It is awesome, I couldn't dream of a better med school. It's even better than Dunder Mifflin.

I'd love to answer any questions you have. You asked about stats. The charter class was 70% PA, 3.5 gpa, 30 MCAT, 65 students. My stats were 34Q 3.61 PA resident if you care.

Someone asked about family, etc. I know in the student handbook they have a procedure to write a letter of recommendation for undergrad friends/relatives/etc. This is just a tidbit of how student centered TCMC is. They really listen to us here and try their best to help us.

We are currently housed in a temporary campus at Lackawanna College, primarily a college that gives 2 year degrees. The new building which you can see live via a webcam on the site will be done in 2011.

The 2010-2014 class will be 60ish students. Our temporary lecture hall is comfortable but can't hold much more than 70 without sitting on each other's laps. The person who asked about Pam from the office might be okay with this, but it'd stress me out and I'd have to go have a pint at Poor Richards after class because I get a bit claustrophobic. Also, the first class is 40 men and 25 women so you'd more than likely have a dude sitting on your lap anyway. But we don't discriminate here so if you're oriented like that, have fun.

The 2010-2014 class will be getting a 20k/year scholarship from the community to the best of my knowledge, which is the same as my charter (2009-2013) class got. This will continue until the new building is ready as far as i know. You either get a new building or 20 thousand, either way a pretty good deal! Once the new building is done they'll increase class size.

There are 1400ish apps so far according to the dean's blog... for those of you who like to calculate odds. :xf:

There ain't no party like a Scranton Party cuz a Scranton party don't stop. :luck: Oh... and scranton has something like the third largest St. Patty's day celebration in America after chicago and new york. Who cares about chicago dying their river green, we already have green everywhere because we actually have trees instead of just asphalt.

Sorry if this barely made sense, I just listened to three lectures and am slightly braindead.

I'll try to hop on here ~once a week to answer questions so keep them coming and stay interested in this uber new medical school!

This is great.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: You advice would certainly help a lot.

Interview invite :eek:
"Sent to screeners" 8/28
OOS, ~3.5/33

has anyone who has interviewed here have any advice for the interview? what kind of questions do they ask?

One question I didn't answer in my previous post that was novel length was about federal loans.

The short answer is we don't have them yet.

The long answer is our financial aid office knows what they are doing and will help you get private loans. We almost have federal loans but I guess one caveat that must happen is for a school to graduate a class. I'm not sure if out one year MBS class will count as graduating a class, or if they want an MD graduation. I think they're guesstimating we'll get them in a year, so those of you applying now are most likely looking at 1 year of private loans.

Keep in mind TCMC's tuition is relatively low to begin with and there's the 20k/year scholarship. So yeah, you are taking private loans with a bit more interest if you need to, but the principle relative to some pricey medical schools is very low.

Ok... anything else?

One question I didn't answer in my previous post that was novel length was about federal loans.

The short answer is we don't have them yet.

The long answer is our financial aid office knows what they are doing and will help you get private loans. We almost have federal loans but I guess one caveat that must happen is for a school to graduate a class. I'm not sure if out one year MBS class will count as graduating a class, or if they want an MD graduation. I think they're guesstimating we'll get them in a year, so those of you applying now are most likely looking at 1 year of private loans.

Keep in mind TCMC's tuition is relatively low to begin with and there's the 20k/year scholarship. So yeah, you are taking private loans with a bit more interest if you need to, but the principle relative to some pricey medical schools is very low.

Ok... anything else?

Thanks for the info. Do you remember any interesting or surprising questions that you were asked on your interview at TCMC?

There's no secret formula to medical school interviews as far as I know.

I'd try to not act like Michael Scott. Whether you should take the Dwight Schrute approach and tell them you are prepared for zombie attacks or the Jim Halpert and just being chill approach is your call.

Anybody know what the earliest available interview date was, or how many people generally interview per day?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Do you remember any interesting or surprising questions that you were asked on your interview at TCMC?
I am also a first year student, and as far as what I remember from the interview it was very fun and relaxed. Questions were asked as a way of getting to know me, and the interviewers were interested in where I saw myself in 20 years. No difficult questions were asked (at least for me). All in all, I left the interview session feeling really excited about the school, and as it turns out, this school is incredible.

All of the faculty and staff (including the Dean) listen to us and really care about what we have to say/think. They are so committed to making TCMC a first-rate medical school, and their genuine interest has definitely made the first few weeks of med school an unexpectedly fun experience. Honestly, I never expected for medical school to be this much fun. I hope I'll be saying the same once anatomy starts up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.