2009-2010 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh...ok so good news/bad news.

good: there is another Af spot open for someone on the waitlist

bad: my waiver got denied. so I'm out.

good luck and peace y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear about the bad news; however, thanks for the heads up. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

So sorry! :( Good luck with your future medicine/military endeavours!

SDN has that article "No letters by May 25"....I think that there is "hope" till August...the MD I work with accepted a position at her choice school a week before classes, and the blue sheet says we may be offered a position through August. I'm still submitting an AMCAS application in June if I haven't heard from them by then though :)

um.... im not referring to getting accepted, that happened in october. im talking about getting my orders from USAF personnel command to report to training... not sure why i was quoted in your post

um.... im not referring to getting accepted, that happened in october. im talking about getting my orders from USAF personnel command to report to training... not sure why i was quoted in your post

my bad. sorry

AF ppl-- I need some help filling out my contract package, and the person I need to speak to is out of the office til the 28th, and this is supposed to be in may 31st...

If anyone can answer a few questions for me, I'd appreciate any help I can get:
For the USUHS contract, who else is supposed to be signing as briefing official and the "accepted on behalf etc" on p 8? Do I need to go into an AF recruiting office and have one of them sign?
I have a couple more specific questions on AF 24: for 13, what do we enter for "I will be available for active duty on:"
And for the security clearance question, is ours pending, or do we select none?

Thanks for any help...

Thanks all - it's been a wild ride. See you on the MD side.

Act9, I went to an AF recruiter to have mine signed, but I think you can leave it blank and Kush will sign them. If you go to a recruiter though be prepared for them to be super mean and overall really douchy about it. The Tsgt I had was like "I've never seen this form" and "is this even a real program?" and "why didn't they do this at MEPS" and when I explained to him that we don't do MEPS he got really mad and was like "I've never heard of this USUHS thing and I've been recruiting for 8 years. BTW I'm in northern va so really like 10mi away from USU. Good luck, but my experience with AF recruiters says they know NOTHING about USU and it's forms.

Act9, I went to an AF recruiter to have mine signed, but I think you can leave it blank and Kush will sign them. If you go to a recruiter though be prepared for them to be super mean and overall really douchy about it. The Tsgt I had was like "I've never seen this form" and "is this even a real program?" and "why didn't they do this at MEPS" and when I explained to him that we don't do MEPS he got really mad and was like "I've never heard of this USUHS thing and I've been recruiting for 8 years. BTW I'm in northern va so really like 10mi away from USU. Good luck, but my experience with AF recruiters says they know NOTHING about USU and it's forms.

Hmm, not a good sign. Well, Kush is out of the office until the 28th (tried calling him to no avail), and apparently the papers are due into DPAME by the 31st.. so do I send them to Kush first? I have a feeling I'm just going to try the recruiter...

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, i mean give it a shot, worst is you just suffer through having someone chew you out for 20 min when you try and explain that USUHS does not equal HPSP and they work differently. But be prepared to be grilled if you answer the "well whos your recruiter?" question with "um.... we dont have them"

just curious when does it say you have to have them in to go to COT? cause all the stuff i got had to be in by 17 may, but i guess its different for everyone

yeah, i mean give it a shot, worst is you just suffer through having someone chew you out for 20 min when you try and explain that USUHS does not equal HPSP and they work differently. But be prepared to be grilled if you answer the "well whos your recruiter?" question with "um.... we dont have them"

just curious when does it say you have to have them in to go to COT? cause all the stuff i got had to be in by 17 may, but i guess its different for everyone

That's the interesting part.. it said May 14th, but I didn't get the packet until 2 days ago.. so Kush said by the 31st.. then left town until the 28th. *sigh* ...

AF ppl-- I need some help filling out my contract package, and the person I need to speak to is out of the office til the 28th, and this is supposed to be in may 31st...

For the USUHS contract, who else is supposed to be signing as briefing official and the "accepted on behalf etc" on p 8? Do I need to go into an AF recruiting office and have one of them sign?
I have a couple more specific questions on AF 24: for 13, what do we enter for "I will be available for active duty on:"

Thanks for any help...

Mr. Kush will sign the accepted on behalf of part, so just send it to him blank. He also told me to leave the security question blank.

When I got the form part 13 said N/A so I am guess that is what is supposed to be put there, all though it may be different if you have prior Air Force experience.

Mr. Kush will sign the accepted on behalf of part, so just send it to him blank. He also told me to leave the security question blank.

When I got the form part 13 said N/A so I am guess that is what is supposed to be put there, all though it may be different if you have prior Air Force experience.

So send the packet back to Kush and let him send it on after he signs it?

Thanks for any help...

I also put N/A in 13, actually it was already typed in there for me. I had a prior security clearance, so I put that date in block 32, but if you aren't prior, you should just leave it blank. You should have already been granted at least a Secret clearance since that is one of the prereqs to receive an unconditional acceptance. If Mr. Kush really needs it, he can get the info from the security guys at USU.
Agree on leaving the "accepted on behalf" portion blank. Mr. Kush will take care of it and yes, send everything to him. As far as I know, he's the only guy that takes care of AF USU/HPSP students. Don't worry, as long as the paperwork gets to him, he will take care of everything and if he has questions, he'll call or email you. :)
Good luck!

I also put N/A in 13, actually it was already typed in there for me. I had a prior security clearance, so I put that date in block 32, but if you aren't prior, you should just leave it blank. You should have already been granted at least a Secret clearance since that is one of the prereqs to receive an unconditional acceptance. If Mr. Kush really needs it, he can get the info from the security guys at USU.
Agree on leaving the "accepted on behalf" portion blank. Mr. Kush will take care of it and yes, send everything to him. As far as I know, he's the only guy that takes care of AF USU/HPSP students. Don't worry, as long as the paperwork gets to him, he will take care of everything and if he has questions, he'll call or email you. :)
Good luck!

Ok, thank you all very much

Sorry-- one more... can I have anyone sign as a witness for form 2030? (the drug and alcohol abuse certificate) or does it need to be someone in the AF (it says name and grade of witness... so that's why I ask) trying to get this sent out today in hopes that I can still go to COT though everything says must be in by may 14th...

DrFunke said:
Good luck!

All they do with security for the prescreen is to look for red flags they don't process a security clearance. So even with an unconditional acceptance you haven't been granted a security clearance yet. People that don't have a security clearance will fill out the paperwork to have secret clearance processed the first week at USUHS. At least that is how it was explained to me. Hope that helps. Silverhorse or dwp can correct me if I am wrong.

All they do with security for the prescreen is to look for red flags they don't process a security clearance. So even with an unconditional acceptance you haven't been granted a security clearance yet. People that don't have a security clearance will fill out the paperwork to have secret clearance processed the first week at USUHS. At least that is how it was explained to me. Hope that helps. Silverhorse or dwp can correct me if I am wrong.
Righto

OK... sorry for the misinformation. Thanks for the correction! :thumbup:

Sorry-- one more... can I have anyone sign as a witness for form 2030? (the drug and alcohol abuse certificate) or does it need to be someone in the AF (it says name and grade of witness... so that's why I ask) trying to get this sent out today in hopes that I can still go to COT though everything says must be in by may 14th...

Mr. Kush told me over the phone that yes, anyone can sign for you there, even your drug dealer. Just kidding... :laugh:
But seriously. Yes - just have anyone sign it. :thumbup:

anybody know if we have current (like more than a year remaining) BLS and ACLS certs do we have to do the BLS cert the first day of orientation...

and ive sat through some drawn out cpr classes *cough* acls day 2 *cough* but TEN HOURS?!?!?! someone please tell me they do not somehow make BLS ten hours.

(referencing MS1 orientation document here http://www.usuhs.mil/osa/osaevents.html#stuorientation )

anybody know if we have current (like more than a year remaining) BLS and ACLS certs do we have to do the BLS cert the first day of orientation...

and ive sat through some drawn out cpr classes *cough* acls day 2 *cough* but TEN HOURS?!?!?! someone please tell me they do not somehow make BLS ten hours.

(referencing MS1 orientation document here http://www.usuhs.mil/osa/osaevents.html#stuorientation )
Nah, you should be good. They will ask you to bring your certification to get excused. Also, our BLS last year definitely wasn't 10 hours... I'm remembering more like 4-6, but it has been a while...

You just need CPR for the healthcare provider. They have you do it again before 2nd year, so if you have a year left on yours you're fine. I just had to bring them a copy of mine to the beginning of the class and then I got to leave before it started.

I think they put 10 hours because some people do it in the morning and some in the afternoon, and you don't know which group you're in yet.

Just wondering, if waitlisters hear back from the committee this week or beyond, will we be able to attend COT? Seems like the deadline is nearing for paperwork that took ~3 weeks to arrive. :(

Hi all,

Got accepted off the waitlist last week for AF. I have tons of questions, but most have to do with housing. Do most first years find housing before they leave to officer training, or do they often find roommates while in training? I was told to call someone about travel and moving but they have not answered their phone for a week. who should I contact about travel? I haven't received the paperwork in the mail but I'm sure once that comes I will have questions.

Hi all,

Got accepted off the waitlist last week for AF. I have tons of questions, but most have to do with housing. Do most first years find housing before they leave to officer training, or do they often find roommates while in training? I was told to call someone about travel and moving but they have not answered their phone for a week. who should I contact about travel? I haven't received the paperwork in the mail but I'm sure once that comes I will have questions.

From all I've been hearing, most people are trying to secure housing before officer training. Personally, I already have family in the area, so I'm taking my time looking for a place to buy and hope to look for roommates once I do, but it's likely I won't be able to move until late aug/sept. That said, I also am sure there will be ppl accepted really late in the game who will belooking for hosuing/roommates in aug around orientation, but it may be easier (/less stressful) to start looking asap and try to setlle on something before COT if u go

Hi all,

I don't know about COT, but last year at ODS everyone already had housing arranged. I'm sure you could find a place/roommates on the facebook group for your class (just search USUHS c/o 14) - that's how I found my roommate last year.

I'm not sure about the travel. Have you tried calling at different times of the day? I'd say Rebecca would be someone to ask about it if they're not answering phones - she won't be able to fix it but she may be able to point you in the right direction.

Hi all,

Btw-- who were u told to contact about travel? I got in May 5th, and wasn't told anyone to contact.

Btw-- who were u told to contact about travel? I got in May 5th, and wasn't told anyone to contact.

I was told to contact Rebecca Patterson. I got through to her today and she was very helpful and gave me the low down on most things. It sounds like Mr. Kush is a good guy to talk to and will have alot of paperwork and answers to my questions. Does anyone know how commissioning works? Are you commissioned after COT or before? Ms. Patterson said I could have a relative do it but I wouldn't want them to fly to Alabama for it. Just wondering.

can anyone explain what military medical field studies are? like is that when (for AF at least) you can go to the school of aerospace med over the summer or is that when we go to indiantown gap?

thx

I was told to contact Rebecca Patterson. I got through to her today and she was very helpful and gave me the low down on most things. It sounds like Mr. Kush is a good guy to talk to and will have alot of paperwork and answers to my questions. Does anyone know how commissioning works? Are you commissioned after COT or before? Ms. Patterson said I could have a relative do it but I wouldn't want them to fly to Alabama for it. Just wondering.

Commission before COT, and you can have any active or retired officer swear you in. I've read also that you could have a public notary swear you in... not sure anyone's ever done that. Wait to swear in until Mr. Kush gives you the orders and the green light to do so. Hope to hear from him early next week~!

Commission before COT, and you can have any active or retired officer swear you in. I've read also that you could have a public notary swear you in... not sure anyone's ever done that. Wait to swear in until Mr. Kush gives you the orders and the green light to do so. Hope to hear from him early next week~!

we still get pinned and everything at COT right? ... I dont want my aunt (USAF Major) to come from travis for nothing...

i wish there was some place we could actually learn about all these questions rather than hoping that somehow getting orders will provide answers. The unconditional letter said that at some point we would be getting a packet from student affairs... has anyone gotten this? Given that the army people are going to OBLC in like 2 weeks or so thats cutting it close...

we still get pinned and everything at COT right? ... I dont want my aunt (USAF Major) to come from travis for nothing...

i wish there was some place we could actually learn about all these questions rather than hoping that somehow getting orders will provide answers. The unconditional letter said that at some point we would be getting a packet from student affairs... has anyone gotten this? Given that the army people are going to OBLC in like 2 weeks or so thats cutting it close...

Since you are already commissioned (oath, pin-on, etc), there would be no reason for you to do it again at COT... you should already be a 2Lt when you get there. That's my understanding, but I could be wrong.

If you want your aunt to oath you, plan a ceremony with your family, friends, etc. That way, you get it done just the way you want it! :)

can anyone explain what military medical field studies are? like is that when (for AF at least) you can go to the school of aerospace med over the summer or is that when we go to indiantown gap?

thx

You mean the part over the summer between MSI and MSII years? Or the classes during the school year?

Just want to answer your question adequately.

Between MSI and MSII years, all of us are together (really we don't do anything separate by service until rotations). We do Kerkeshner and Bushmaster. The class is broken into 6 platoons (all mixed with Army, Navy, AF, PHS) - you spend two weeks out in the field, the first week half will do Kerkeshner and half Bushmaster, then the second week you switch. Kerkeshner is our field studies where you learn how to clear a building, move as a platoon, go on rescue missions, treat casualties, etc etc. Bushmaster is for the students between MSIII and MSIV and they're being graded on their ability to triage and treat a mass casualty. We are their patients - you get all made up to look like you really have bad injuries and get to scream/play unconscious. I'm looking forward to that more than Kerkeshner, but they'll both be fun and interesting.

the military studies during the year are broken into 4 classes. One is medical history which doesn't really fit, but needed a place to go. In the fall we have Intro to mil med which is mainly lecture based. Winter is Combat medical skills which is a military version of an EMT course, so all lab stuff. Spring is Military applied physiology which is mainly lectures, with a few pretty neat labs (fitness, cardiovascular, and dive are required and optional altitude chamber lab).

thank you so much! exactly the answer i was looking for. Im just starting wedding planning w/ my fiance so were looking at when possible dates are and that conflicted with our first choice, so i was curious as to exactly what it was.

... still no AF orders, so i guess end of may now = start of june. anybody whos a current AF student remember around when you can oath in (like 3 days before COT or more like 2 weeks?)

Hey all, for those in the know I have a question about housing. My wife and I are looking to buy, and are balancing location/cost/fenced-yard-for-dogs etc. and it seems like Silver Spring is yielding the best results. However, SS is rather expansive and the prices tend to vary considerably for similar houses. Is this because certain neighborhoods w/i ss are bad? Are there areas in silver spring that we should avoid?

thanks for the help
sj

Hey all, for those in the know I have a question about housing. My wife and I are looking to buy, and are balancing location/cost/fenced-yard-for-dogs etc. and it seems like Silver Spring is yielding the best results. However, SS is rather expansive and the prices tend to vary considerably for similar houses. Is this because certain neighborhoods w/i ss are bad? Are there areas in silver spring that we should avoid?

thanks for the help
sj

Hey-- I work for a volunteer fire department in the area and yes, there are areas within that aren't as safe as others, esp in silver spring. Honestly I'd have to look at a map, and I don't cover all of silver spring, but I know I'm staying away from Wheaton mall (that's the edge of my first due and where we get all our stabbings/beatings/occasional gunshots). I'd recommend looking up some police records or seeing if anyone else on here can help be more specific with what areas o silver spring are ok. I'm looking into it myself later this week and will share what I learn.
Good luck

thanks for the help
sj

since ive lived in northern VA my entire life, admittedly im a little biased and dont have true firsthand experience when it comes to MD neighborhoods (just getting that out of the way). That being said yes there are places in SS you dont want to be, though i couldnt tell you which, other than its a safe bet to stay away from the DC/MD border in NE. In general PG county has more crime than Mo county. Just curious, are prices in Gaithersburg/Rockville/Forest Glen really a lot more?

since ive lived in northern VA my entire life, admittedly im a little biased and dont have true firsthand experience when it comes to MD neighborhoods (just getting that out of the way). That being said yes there are places in SS you dont want to be, though i couldnt tell you which, other than its a safe bet to stay away from the DC/MD border in NE. In general PG county has more crime than Mo county. Just curious, are prices in Gaithersburg/Rockville/Forest Glen really a lot more?

Gaithersburg isn't bad. Rockville is HUGE geographically, and there are pockets within there you also want to avoid. There are also some very reasonably priced and nice areas. I'm meeting with my realtor this week. I grew up in damascus and germantown myself, so I know some areas, but specifics in the southern part of the county (I only know bethesda, southern rockville, and kenisngton really well) I'm fuzzy on yet... My family's known my realtor for years, and she knows the county well so I know she'll be good with the specifics for me and I'll share what I can. I also strongly recommend her if anyone is looking for that

For the Army folks, can I take my oath before June 9 and just date it as June 9, or does it have to be on or after that date? I ask because my Will Proceed date is June 9 if I'm driving to Texas, so it's gonna be a pain in the butt to take my oath and THEN start driving to Texas. Any ideas?

For the Army folks, can I take my oath before June 9 and just date it as June 9, or does it have to be on or after that date? I ask because my Will Proceed date is June 9 if I'm driving to Texas, so it's gonna be a pain in the butt to take my oath and THEN start driving to Texas. Any ideas?

I dont get it, wouldnt it be more of a pain to have to start driving to texas then oath in?

I dont get it, wouldnt it be more of a pain to have to start driving to texas then oath in?

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to take the oath and all, but I prefer to start road trips bright and early. So if the Army wants me to leave my house for Ft. Sam on June 9, and also take the oath that day, then I'll have to leave later that day and I won't be able to drive as far. Not a big deal, but if I can, say, take the oath June 8 but date it June 9, life is easier. Not sure what the rule would be on this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to take the oath and all, but I prefer to start road trips bright and early. So if the Army wants me to leave my house for Ft. Sam on June 9, and also take the oath that day, then I'll have to leave later that day and I won't be able to drive as far. Not a big deal, but if I can, say, take the oath June 8 but date it June 9, life is easier. Not sure what the rule would be on this.

ahh ok now i understand. yeah i have exactly the same question as you, as I have the opportunity to have someone in my family commission me and i would really like to do that, but until the AF decides to get itself in gear and TELL (not just send a packet of forms) us anything.... i keep waiting. oh well.

got in on friday (5/28), army. i had to switch from the navy waitlist though!

woohoo!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.