2009-2010 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't gotten a hard copy of my orders yet. But I did get an email. And also I haven't gotten a USUHS sponsor yet too.

I just finished school today and have been basically ignoring all the army emails. Can someone basically give me a quick rundown of the essentials I need before leaving next weekend. I am planning on calling the travel dept tomorrow. I was planning on buying all my clothes over there. Is there anything else essential I need to buy before leaving besides all the copies of orders/forms etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, I feel better then. I remember earlier hearing I would get one soon, then people were talkin about getting info from their sponsors... Glad I didn't miss a memo:)

Just got contacted by my sponsor yesterday.

Also, just got my active duty orders.. still no OBLC orders or travel.

I haven't gotten a hard copy of my orders yet. But I did get an email. And also I haven't gotten a USUHS sponsor yet too.

I just finished school today and have been basically ignoring all the army emails. Can someone basically give me a quick rundown of the essentials I need before leaving next weekend. I am planning on calling the travel dept tomorrow. I was planning on buying all my clothes over there. Is there anything else essential I need to buy before leaving besides all the copies of orders/forms etc?

If you can, I highly recommend acquiring as much of your uniform items as possible. It'll make in-processing a lot easier. At lest try to grab your ACUs and PT gear.

Bring shot records, birth certificate, computer, printer.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I may not be going to OBLC with the rest of the Army incoming class. They might not be able to cut my orders in time, even though I'm already commissioned. That's a real big bummer. Anyone else in a similar situation.

T_T

I hope I am not in the same boat. What did Louise Taylor tell you?

I haven't gotten approved to commission yet. Hopefully I will be able to do that before next friday. Ms. Taylor said that you can't go if you don't take your oath first, but I saw some people say in this thread that some people commissioned over there. Any truth to that?

I think it's risky travelling without commissioning. You want to actually be commissioned before you risk traveling and something happening. Ms. Taylor did tell me that people have done this in the past. Hope everything works out with all of us before the end of next week.

Quick question ya'll: My orders from the Army state that I'm to proceed to Ft. Sam Houston on June 9th, and to report on June 13th. That's 4 days, when it will only take me 2 to drive it, 3 to be safe. I realize they are budgeting me all this time because somebody in the Army decided that you can only safely travel 400 miles in a day, and it's a 1600 mile drive for me, so they gave me 4 days.

My question is, do I need to actually leave on the 9th, or can I wait till the next day? Also, how would this effect my reimbursement for traveling in my vehicle, if I don't take the full 4 days?

Thanks.

Hi Everyone.
I heard from my sponsor yesterday but haven't received my orders to BOLC as well. I was told from L. Taylor that they will be sent out soon but, considering it's Friday and we have 1 week left before setting out for Texas, I'm curious how long commissioning and booking tickets will take. She mentioned to me that both steps will be explained in my orders to Texas. Any suggestions?

Just to clarify, I'm coming from an ROTC background, so I received a commission in the Reserves. Now I need to get permission to transfer that commission to Active Duty. That is what is going to take a while (more than the week that we have according to Ms. Louise Taylor, and I'd believe it too). I hope the same thing does not happen to ya'll. And I hope to see everyone in the Fall and not be the odd one out. I really wanted to go to OBLC :( But Hopefully everyone has a good time out there :)

AF people:

I know this has been asked before, but I can't find the answers... do I need the mess dress uniform for COT? One uniform checklist says I do, the other says I don't, and people have been telling me I don't, but I'm not certain... I plan on calling later this week to ask, but any advice would be nice.

Also, are there any trusted websites I can buy stuff like my ABU's from that won't require my military ID yt? I assume we don't get those until COT, but the AF base only had one set of ABU's in my size right now, and aren't sure when they'll get the proper net shipment in... I see them online everywhere, but I'm wary that certain ones may not be regulation...

thx

AF people:

I know this has been asked before, but I can't find the answers... do I need the mess dress uniform for COT? One uniform checklist says I do, the other says I don't, and people have been telling me I don't, but I'm not certain... I plan on calling later this week to ask, but any advice would be nice.

Also, are there any trusted websites I can buy stuff like my ABU's from that won't require my military ID yt? I assume we don't get those until COT, but the AF base only had one set of ABU's in my size right now, and aren't sure when they'll get the proper net shipment in... I see them online everywhere, but I'm wary that certain ones may not be regulation...

thx

I have no real Intel to add to this other than I think we will need mess dress soon enough, whether at COT or after, to justify buying them now (if you can, and if you have access to them).

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question ya'll: My orders from the Army state that I'm to proceed to Ft. Sam Houston on June 9th, and to report on June 13th. That's 4 days, when it will only take me 2 to drive it, 3 to be safe. I realize they are budgeting me all this time because somebody in the Army decided that you can only safely travel 400 miles in a day, and it's a 1600 mile drive for me, so they gave me 4 days.

My question is, do I need to actually leave on the 9th, or can I wait till the next day? Also, how would this effect my reimbursement for traveling in my vehicle, if I don't take the full 4 days?

Thanks.

a friend did the same thing. apparently they dont reimburse based on receipts, just a set amount depending on how many days of travel. when you get there, they'll ask how many days it took you to travel on a form. If you do it in 2, and say you took 4 (which is what they allotted) then you'll get 4 days worth of per diem. If you say you did it in 2 and they allotted 4, then you only get the 2 days worth.

how and when do/should we ship our household goods? does it get sent directly to our apartments? even if it's not ready?

how and when do/should we ship our household goods? does it get sent directly to our apartments? even if it's not ready?

Your HHG will be shipped to a warehouse in the DC area. Then they will contact you and arrange a time and place for delivery. On the day of delivery you will probably have to be at your apartment all day. They could arrive early or it could be later in the day depending on how many deliveries are scheduled.

For calculations sake, it could take 4-6 weeks for your HHG to ship from your HOR to DC. Once they arrive, you have 90 days to arrange pickup. If you can't arrange pickup in 90 days you can get an extension by having your command write a letter requesting additional time. Hope this answers your questions.

Your HHG will be shipped to a warehouse in the DC area. Then they will contact you and arrange a time and place for delivery. On the day of delivery you will probably have to be at your apartment all day. They could arrive early or it could be later in the day depending on how many deliveries are scheduled.

For calculations sake, it could take 4-6 weeks for your HHG to ship from your HOR to DC. Once they arrive, you have 90 days to arrange pickup. If you can't arrange pickup in 90 days you can get an extension by having your command write a letter requesting additional time. Hope this answers your questions.

Thanks a lot, it does. One more question, should we arrange for our goods to be sent before we go to OBLC ?

a friend did the same thing. apparently they dont reimburse based on receipts, just a set amount depending on how many days of travel. when you get there, they'll ask how many days it took you to travel on a form. If you do it in 2, and say you took 4 (which is what they allotted) then you'll get 4 days worth of per diem. If you say you did it in 2 and they allotted 4, then you only get the 2 days worth.

Awesome thanks!

Thanks a lot, it does. One more question, should we arrange for our goods to be sent before we go to OBLC ?

Yes, you should. However, you most likely will be able to set it up at OBLC if you need to (we could at ODS, but it was much less painful to settle it beforehand).

big THANK YOU to all you MS1+ people posting the very rapid and very helpful responses on here. You should get bonus pay for this. :thumbup: Seriously, write in your residency applications that you "helped facilitate the recruitment and retainment of high-quality medical school applicants for USUHS". How's that for a bullet?

But seriously, thanks! :)

big THANK YOU to all you MS1+ people posting the very rapid and very helpful responses on here. You should get bonus pay for this. :thumbup: Seriously, write in your residency applications that you "helped facilitate the recruitment and retainment of high-quality medical school applicants for USUHS". How's that for a bullet?

But seriously, thanks! :)

I'm happy to do it. Many people helped me, so I love being able to pay it forward. I'll definitely still be around as long as people have questions. And I'm sure I'll be back after Kerkeshner/Bushmaster/Clerkship/Leave to help the next round of applicants. I hope some of you all will stay too. :)

(oh, and my replies are very rapid because I'm so dedicated at procrastination I'm on here almost as much as I study, ;))

Do you guys think that the waitlist will move much these next couple of weeks? I was told that last year they got through the entire waitlist. Why is this year so different?

AF peeps, any idea why they want us to have 1 set of ABUs with pin on rank? the LT i was with helping me get my uniforms couldnt think of any reason why.

oh and helpful tips ive heard = buy tons of ABU shirts, extra PT uniforms, and that we do NOT qualify for the GWOT and natl emergency ribbon or whatever its called until AFTER COT (you can wear them at grad ive been told) so dont put them on your uniform if you buy them.

and for those wondering about price, for 3x abus, 2x ss blues, service coat, 4x summer pt, boots, low quarters, and associated pins/backing boards/tailoring... aka everything save mess dress, it cost me around $1200

Thanks for the heads-up. I was thinking extra t-shirts and socks would be smart. :thumbup:

...we do NOT qualify for the GWOT and natl emergency ribbon or whatever its called until AFTER COT

If we already have ribbons (prior enlisted) we're probably supposed to wear them... right? Might just leave them off to deflect attention. ;)

AF peeps, any idea why they want us to have 1 set of ABUs with pin on rank? the LT i was with helping me get my uniforms couldnt think of any reason why.

oh and helpful tips ive heard = buy tons of ABU shirts, extra PT uniforms, and that we do NOT qualify for the GWOT and natl emergency ribbon or whatever its called until AFTER COT (you can wear them at grad ive been told) so dont put them on your uniform if you buy them.

and for those wondering about price, for 3x abus, 2x ss blues, service coat, 4x summer pt, boots, low quarters, and associated pins/backing boards/tailoring... aka everything save mess dress, it cost me around $1200

As a non-prior, I assume I have no ribbons, correct? I mean, clearly I haven't earned any, but just makin sure here. Also, are you planning on buying your mess dress before you go? I'm still trying to figure out if I can hold off until after COT (this question is for anyone to answer)

Maybe they put that in as a sub-bullet of "Subdued rank" rather than ABUs, meaning that you need more than only sew-on rank. You will need pin-on rank for your service dress jacket, but I can't think of why we'd need the subdued. Only costs a few bucks tho, which is pennies compared to the $1200+ we are already spending.

As a non-prior, I assume I have no ribbons, correct? I mean, clearly I haven't earned any, but just makin sure here. Also, are you planning on buying your mess dress before you go? I'm still trying to figure out if I can hold off until after COT (this question is for anyone to answer)

You have at least one - national defense. It's given to anyone who serves during a conflict. Navy hasn't been authorized to wear GWOT (unless you've deployed recently and earned it then), but I think Army has, not sure about AF.

Nevermind! Thanks!

Last edited:
I keep forgetting we're not all AF.
The following is an AF Adventure in TMO... not sure about other branches.

Trying to get an answer about mess dress for COT:
Called 334-953-0350... no answer
Called 334-953-0347... alternate message for 334-462-4411
Called 334-462-4411... no answer
emailed [email protected]... delivery failure.

ok, moving on.

TMO:
Called 1800-531-5811 EXT. 565-2773... no answer
Tried EXT. 565-2778 because I can't tell what that last digit is... no answer
Called local # 210-565-2773... Paula hooked me UP with two more numbers.
Called 210-565-6284... fax tone
Called 210-565-6285... another fax tone
Called 210-565-2773 again... got new number for jppso in San Antonio, and learned that 210-565-2773 has listings of every TMO contact broken down by state, then county. I was also told to tell them I am not PCSing, but "entering" with "orders to extended active duty". Repeat: This is not a PCS.
Called 210-321-4200... "all agents are currently busy..." [1 minute of silence] "Thank you for calling, good bye!" :mad:
Called 210-321-4200... informed that I need to talk with the "out-bound section"
Call forwarded... got SSgt. Smith! :thumbup:

SSgt. Smith says:
I need to go to Lackland AFB's Personal Property Office (210-671-2822/2824, press 0 to skip automation). There I will get a DPS System account, some faxes will get sent, and I can have my TMO arranged within 1-2 days. Pick-up days must be scheduled 8+ days out. Do not procrastinate on this.

On behalf of y'all, I asked SSgt. Smith where a good place to start this process would be if not in this area. SSgt. Smith says there are three jppso jurisdictions throughout the US. If you call him at 210-321-4200 ext. 4307, he will forward you as necessary. Me: "You might get a few dozen calls..." Him: "That's fine."

If you do not live near a base, he says you can still call him and do "over the phone counseling" to set things up. I only have to drive a few miles to Lackland, so I'll do that, but wouldn't want to drive more than an hour or two otherwise.

Called Lackland's Personal Property Office at 210-671-2822... Bldg 5616 room 112, open until... 16:15!? Gotta go. Hope this helps someone avoid making a dozen non-productive phone calls. Just call SSgt. Smith for guidance: 210-321-4200 ext. 4307

ok, moving on.

TMO:
Called 210-565-2773 again... got new number for jppso in San Antonio, and learned that 210-565-2773 has listings of every TMO contact broken down by state, then county. I was also told to tell them I am not PCSing, but "entering" with "orders to extended active duty". Repeat: This is not a PCS.
Called 210-321-4200... "all agents are currently busy..." [1 minute of silence] "Thank you for calling, good bye!" :mad:
Called 210-321-4200... informed that I need to talk with the "out-bound section"

SSgt. Smith says:
I need to go to Lackland AFB's Personal Property Office (210-671-2822/2824, press 0 to skip automation). There I will get a DPS System account, some faxes will get sent, and I can have my TMO arranged within 1-2 days. Pick-up days must be scheduled 8+ days out. Do not procrastinate on this.

On behalf of y'all, I asked SSgt. Smith where a good place to start this process would be if not in this area. SSgt. Smith says there are three jppso jurisdictions throughout the US. If you call him at 210-321-4200 ext. 4307, he will forward you as necessary. Me: "You might get a few dozen calls..." Him: "That's fine."

If you do not live near a base, he says you can still call him and do "over the phone counseling" to set things up. I only have to drive a few miles to Lackland, so I'll do that, but wouldn't want to drive more than an hour or two otherwise.

Called Lackland's Personal Property Office at 210-671-2822... Bldg 5616 room 112, open until... 16:15!? Gotta go. Hope this helps someone avoid making a dozen non-productive phone calls. Just call SSgt. Smith for guidance: 210-321-4200 ext. 4307

Wow... that's bananas! I'm glad that I just called Randolph TMO and got my move set up there. (My EAD orders info sheet just said to call the nearest base TMO, rather than JPPSO.) Sounds like you had a fun day! :)

So what should we wear when we show up to OBC (or any training for that matter)? I imagine at least half of us haven't worn a uniform before, so I don't feel like they'd want us wearing it wrong in front of new soldiers/sailors/airmen...I also need to pick up the USUHS unit patch and a few subdued pin-on rank bars.

Also, I bought a few pairs of black boot socks before I read the packing list, which says green or tan socks. Will it matter? When will people ever see my socks when I'm in uniform? Boot socks are expensive.

Any AF peeps up for a meet-up in montgomery the night before reporting to COT? I'll be driving, so will be there a little early.

So what should we wear when we show up to OBC (or any training for that matter)? I imagine at least half of us haven't worn a uniform before, so I don't feel like they'd want us wearing it wrong in front of new soldiers/sailors/airmen...I also need to pick up the USUHS unit patch and a few subdued pin-on rank bars.

Also, I bought a few pairs of black boot socks before I read the packing list, which says green or tan socks. Will it matter? When will people ever see my socks when I'm in uniform? Boot socks are expensive.

Show up in civilians, you will just sign in, maybe fill out some paperwork and get a room. They then might have us change into uniform for something.

Black socks are fine, green are more prevalent now but either are acceptable, and you are right they shouldn't be seen by anyone anyway.

"For OTS - COT/RCOT related questions please call Comm (334) 953-0349"

I called, I asked, I confirmed that we (class 10-05) will need mess dress. The guy said we'll need it for a Dining Out toward the end of class, so even if you don't have it when you show up you'll probably have time to get it while we're there.

I called, I asked, I confirmed that we (class 10-05) will need mess dress. The guy said we'll need it for a Dining Out toward the end of class, so even if you don't have it when you show up you'll probably have time to get it while we're there.

Good info, thanks for calling! Another option that a friend of mine did(although it doesn't make alot of sense to me, since we'll need it in the future) is to rent a mess dress at Maxwell.

I'm currently reading the OIs. COT looks a lot like Basic Training, including carrying 341s! Thank goodness it's only 5 weeks.

Any AF peeps up for a meet-up in montgomery the night before reporting to COT? I'll be driving, so will be there a little early.

Im gonna get there the evening of the 26th probably, driving down from VA. PM me and ill give you my contact info.

OK, I wanted to confirm this before I ordered my mess dress ribbons, and to ask if we could bring guests to the dining out. The Sgt that answered said he thought we would need the mess dress, but to double check he recommended I call Capt Miller, the course director, at 334-953-0304. Capt Miller stated that we would not need mess dress, and there will not be a dining out, only a combat dining in (some combination of uniforms not to include blues). A lot of conflicting info (welcome to the military), but I think this guy is the one responsible for determining what we need to wear. Sorry to all of the non-AF peeps who have to read this!

Hey!! Is anyone else getting to ODS early (on Saturday afternoon)? Do I need to call ahead or do most people show up that day? Also, if I'm having someone drop me off, do I need to call ahead about that or am I just going to be getting out at the gate? Thanks! Can't wait to meet you all!

Hey, incoming AF here. I was under the impression from my sponsor student that I don't need to buy any of that until I actually get to COT right? Where did you even get access to those / and how do you know they are regulation?

Also, question for everyone. My EAD orders are saying that I should contact Base Housing Referral Office before I sign any lease agreement to protect me from unscrupulous leases ... did anyone do this yet?? I tried looking for this office on the USUHS website but came up with nothing.

ok, moving on.

TMO:

SSgt. Smith says:

Hey guys I actually started an online process that my TMO directed me to... http://www.move.mil ..... is anyone else doing this?

Hey guys I actually started an online process that my TMO directed me to... http://www.move.mil ..... is anyone else doing this?

Yes, I'm doing it. It cuts out the middle man (TMO) and saves you from having to wait for a briefing. In my case, I would've had to wait 2 weeks to get the briefing, then two more weeks to get a moving date. I'm hoping everything will go smoothly, but we'll see. Just make sure you get all of your questions answered by TMO before your move date.

Hey, incoming AF here. I was under the impression from my sponsor student that I don't need to buy any of that until I actually get to COT right? Where did you even get access to those / and how do you know they are regulation?

Also, question for everyone. My EAD orders are saying that I should contact Base Housing Referral Office before I sign any lease agreement to protect me from unscrupulous leases ... did anyone do this yet?? I tried looking for this office on the USUHS website but came up with nothing.

Should I be worried if I STILL haven't been contacted by my sponsor? I feel so left out:-( j/k

I haven't contacted anyone yet, but for the same reason: I don't know who to contact. I was planning on asking rebecca patterson since that's who we are supposed to ask for proof of salary or whatever when applying for mortgages/leases, etc... I won't be able to do anything til thursday though...

Hey!! Is anyone else getting to ODS early (on Saturday afternoon)? Do I need to call ahead or do most people show up that day? Also, if I'm having someone drop me off, do I need to call ahead about that or am I just going to be getting out at the gate? Thanks! Can't wait to meet you all!

You shouldn't need to call about arriving on Saturday. Almost everyone who flies in, arrives on Saturday to make sure they get there before 11am Sunday (which, last year we didn't do anything until 5pm Sunday).

You might want to call about having someone drop you off. You can get on base with your orders, but if your "driver" doesn't have a military ID, they may not get past the gate. What you can do, is have them drive you to the gate then call to get a ride from the front gate - don't try to walk, it's not a bad walk, but a decent distance if you're carrying luggage. I don't remember who exactly you call to get a ride, but a while back someone posted the website for Newport Training Command on this thread and that'll have the number to call.
Edit: I found it, go here http://www.ocs.navy.mil/getting_to_otc.asp

Anyone coming from the west coast to COT and therefore not getting to Montgomery until after 1600 on the 28th? (No flights from CA get in before then.)
Apparently if there are 4+ of us, we can get a military taxi/transport. I would love to have company when showing up late on my first day (way to make a great impression).

Af ppl-- the websites they gave us for the welcome package or whatever aren't working for me... Is anyone else having this problem? I know we need to access these to fill out forms...

Af ppl-- the websites they gave us for the welcome package or whatever aren't working for me... Is anyone else having this problem? I know we need to access these to fill out forms...

This page isn't referenced or linked from anywhere else. I'm not sure if that's on purpose or accident. When I called COT to ask where to get the OIs, they said we don't need them till we get there. Anyways, here's the link:

http://www.au.af.mil/au/holmcenter/OTS/COT-RCOT/welcomepackage.asp

Thanks for the link, should we still be using it although the file says Aug 08? The link that I received for COT welcome package doesn't work either...

Thanks for the link, should we still be using it although the file says Aug 08? The link that I received for COT welcome package doesn't work either...

Please email kush and tell him it doesn't work for you either. When I emailed him he said I was the only one out of 40 who it didn't woek for, so I needed to check my typing...

Status
Not open for further replies.