2009-2010 University of Missouri Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the majority of the waitlist movement takes place after May 15th, but if spots come open earlier does anybody know if the school will go ahead and send out notices immediatly, or is it a once a month kind of thing? The reason I ask is I'm trying to secure a HPSP scholarship to pay for the school, and until I get an acceptance I am not eligible.
If this year works like years past, from here on out it's a "one out- one in" situation. In other words, as soon as one person declines an acceptance, #1 on the waiting list will get a call. If 3 people decline the next day, #2-4 will get calls. And I say "calls" because that's what happened for me, although it very could well be an email- so please don't hold me to that!

Congrats to all who got in today! For our waitlisters, I know it's really really hard but please be patient with the OME this week. During exam week there are routinely 3-4 people out of the office at any given hour while they're staffing the tables where we turn in our tests- and probably more than that out to assist with M1 sim center practicals on Wed/Thurs. I'm sure they'll return messages when they can, but it may not be as quickly as you'd like. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Not to insult your respective intelligences, but did you guys check your spam folders on the off-chance it got directed there?

I think it depends on the time of year. I think they start accepting as seats open up (maybe once a week or so) and then as it gets later in the season they start calling the day the seat opens up, given how short on time they are at that point. I'm not positive though and I'd defer to ping or Cpt. Fan. but this is what I remember. Good luck! :luck:

same thing- I've received all the previous updates in my inbox with no problems too.

Waitlisted! >_< I'm not panicking, I have one "yes" in my pocket, but I like the idea of having a choice. There are a few things to balance for me.... Congrats to all the acceptances!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to give everybody an idea about what the waitlist movement has been in previous years:
Class of 2013 made it to at least #50 on the waitlist
Class of 2012 pulled 63
Class of 2011 pulled 54

I got this info from last years thread.

FWIW, still nothing. Congrats to everyone who heard good news last night!

pppfcr, i agree with chels that you might call to see if something was sent that you have not (for some reason) received.

i got an emailed response as to what third i'm in: middle
so somewhere in the 34-70 range of the 104 alternate list, putting me squarely in limbo.
50-60 people accepted in previous years (thanks WoWdoc for the info) makes me a little happy. but, thinking of the economy I bet more people will choose to go for in state acceptances. ><

ugh it's gonna be a long wait.
grats on acceptances and gl to everyone else that is waiting to hear (and to the medical student test takers).

pppfcr, i agree with chels that you might call to see if something was sent that you have not (for some reason) received.

so somewhere in the 34-70 range of the 104 alternate list, putting me squarely in limbo.
50-60 people accepted in previous years (thanks WoWdoc for the info) makes me a little happy. but, thinking of the economy I bet more people will choose go for in state acceptances. ><

grats on acceptances and gl to everyone else that is waiting to hear (and to the medical student test takers).

I am in the middle as well! I have a feeling less will move from the waitlist this year too...

Do they tell you what third of the third you are in? I wanted to ask, but didn't want to be too pushy....

same thing- I've received all the previous updates in my inbox with no problems too.

I called this morning. Apparently there is another wave of letters coming out this afternoon.

I'm in the bottom third. So I'm pretty much done here I guess. Good luck guys.

Do they tell you what third of the third you are in? I wanted to ask, but didn't want to be too pushy....

I don't know about that... sorry, I read it wrong the first time.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes; I think Kobe is referring to those of us who haven't heard yet.

Hmm...still haven't received anything. Anyone else in the same boat? Like someone who posted above, I was also told that a second wave of emails was supposed to come out today.

Also still haven't heard. Glad to know there's someone else.

I called at around 4 this afternoon. I haven't heard back either way, but I was told they were having computer problems and would be able to send out letters later.

Well, I can tell you what I have been told. How's that?

Construction is scheduled to begin sometime in the next few weeks. (Just this week we were asked to move some things to prepare for it.) I'm told the project schedule shows it being finished in time. The dean has said that she won't fill those extra seats until she's sure the new lab will be habitable on the first day of school.

That's all I can pass on 'cause that's all I know. I could speculate, which might be a lot of fun, but probably not something you would find very helpful.

Captain, hope exam week is going well for you and pingouin. :luck: If available, are they going to pull those 8 new seats from the waitlist? Or did they alreay accept 104. Thanks for all the insights you've shared on this board. It's been really helpful for me. You too pingouin! You guys rock!:)

I called at around 4 this afternoon. I haven't heard back either way, but I was told they were having computer problems and would be able to send out letters later.

I still haven't heard anything either.... I think I may have jinxed myself when I said 3/3 at 3:33pm. At this point, I hope that prediction comes true. I really don't want to wait another week to find out. :xf:

Good luck to everyone else who is compulsively checking their email.

I still haven't heard anything either.... I think I may have jinxed myself when I said 3/3 at 3:33pm. At this point, I hope that prediction comes true. I really don't want to wait another week to find out. :xf:

Good luck to everyone else who is compulsively checking their email.

Is the 3:33pm EST or CST? haha Good luck! :luck: I'm still waiting too...

Rejected: post-interview. Didn't quite make it to 3:33PM. Oh well... Congrats to the rest of you.

Captain, hope exam week is going well for you and pingouin. :luck: If available, are they going to pull those 8 new seats from the waitlist? Or did they alreay accept 104. Thanks for all the insights you've shared on this board. It's been really helpful for me. You too pingouin! You guys rock!:)

The DOA and I were having casual conversation a couple of days ago and she mentioned that they filled the class to 104 right out of the gate -- assuming I didn't misunderstand her.

Exam week is brutal. Two 9 hour exams under the belt; today's was especially challenging. Two 9 hour exams left this week. Thanks for the luck.

To all that have been rejected/waitlisted mid to low:

I was one of you last year, except they told me I was right on the cusp of getting accepted...however, I didn't get accepted, until this year just a few days ago. Hopefully my story will help you. I know I was encouraged when I read stories like mine.

I took the MCAT twice before I applied last year.(27,26 respectively..best scores I got were added up to a 29.) great extracurriculars. some shadowing. missouri resident. research. 3.5-ish GPA. Interviewed october. waitlisted 2/28. Never received a letter from the adcom again. (really they never told me I was officially rejected) Spoke to the old DOA about how to improve my application, which was very humbling yet helpful. (I encourage you to do so once the summer rolls around for the ones on the waitlist and in the next month or so for the rejections)

We identified my application weaknesses. health care experience and MCAT. I told her there was no way I would take it a 3rd time because I thought I had peaked with my score. (and it's a beast that NOONE in their right mind wants to take three times.) I got a job at the local hospital as a tech. 1/2 the criteria satisfied.

At least until I was convinced by reading other SDNers thoughts along with other people in my life at the time. I took it again after only studying a solid six weeks and scored a 30 with some strategies I learned online. other half done.

I was complete at MU in December. January interview. Accepted Feb 1. I waited 18 months to hear that I was accepted (including my first application year).

Here's the importance of what I'm saying. If you want to go into medicine. Don't let ONE application round break you down. Honestly, MU is a highly competitive school to get in to. After talking with faculty members, I have found that they reject people that are qualified to go through the rigors of medical school. The fact is they just can't hold that many students.

Plus, being a reapplicant while improving a little bit is favorable in the eyes of the AdCom.

Don't lose hope. If I can do it, believe me. You can too.

oh and other side note:

I'm excited to meet everyone in the class of 2014 at orientation in July! Congrats to those accepted.

The DOA and I were having casual conversation a couple of days ago and she mentioned that they filled the class to 104 right out of the gate -- assuming I didn't misunderstand her.

In my conversations with the Admissions Coordinator, this is, indeed the case. But I've been proven wrong before, and I'm guessing as my new classmates will soon find out, it's going to happen again.

By the way Captain Fantastic and Pingouin, here's a gift for you guys. Since you all help us out so much, I thought I'd float you something special for test week:

P18%20085%204%20Year%20Old%20Boy%20With%20Water%20Wings%20And%20Goggles%20Floats%20In%20Pool.jpg

I have a question about the schedule @ Mizzou. I was looking at the academic calendar and noticed that there is a block that goes from May 24- July 30... Then I noticed that it's labeled IS1. Can someone shed some light on this? Do we get the standard post-MS1 3 month summer break or not?

Yeah, I've seen that on the schedule. I'm guessing it stands for "intersession" and it's just kind of a placemarker- but yes, you do get the time off after M1 between your Block 4 exams in May and starting Block 5 in August. This past summer I believe it totaled 11 weeks, so not quite 3 months but close enough.

(Plus you usually get your block break weeks which most other schools don't have. Except this block. But we're not bitter or anything.)

btw, not that I'm competitive or anything, but I notice from the bottom of the page where it suggests other threads that y'all already have more than double the posts in this thread as compared to the class of 2013 did in theirs. discuss.

btw, not that I'm competitive or anything, but I notice from the bottom of the page where it suggests other threads that y'all already have more than double the posts in this thread as compared to the class of 2013 did in theirs. discuss.
2014 >>>>> 2013

Eh, Captain? ;)

50-60 people accepted in previous years (thanks WoWdoc for the info) makes me a little happy. but, thinking of the economy I bet more people will choose to go for in state acceptances. ><

Wow, insanely frustrating, Genesea! I hope you get happy mail this week from another school, then!!!
How did you go about asking them what third you were in? I'd love to have an idea as well....

This indicates that your underclassmen will be especially witty and charming and talkative :D

auriga, just reply to the email that you received about being placed on the alternate list. ask to find out what third you're in.
i got a response the next day.
good luck :)

This indicates that your underclassmen will be especially witty and charming and talkative :D
or introverted internet junkies :p

Last edited:
uh, they were talking about the class of 2014, not us. but you ARE pretty talkative.

*blush* Talkative I have in spades. Attention to detail not so much, apparently.

An entry I was expecting for The Bearded Dean's valentine issue...

Dear CF,
Oh, how I do enjoy the sound of your voice.
Love,
CF

Hi everyone! I have a random question about housing for med students. Could anyone shed some light about possible semi-affordable but convenient housing options? Are there any apartments where quite a few med students live? I'm not too familiar with the area and have just begun to look at some options, but any feedback would be appreciated! :D

*blush* Talkative I have in spades. Attention to detail not so much, apparently.

An entry I was expecting for The Bearded Dean's valentine issue...

Dear CF,
Oh, how I do enjoy the sound of your voice.
Love,
CF
Funny! I'm just looking forward to finding out whether you've improved on your paper-passing skillz in the last 5 blocks. :smuggrin:

Regarding housing, accepted students should get something from the OME relatively soon about some options. They ask current students to give feedback (good AND bad) on their current living situations and then compile them to send out to incoming students. I know the submission deadline has already passed to turn those in.

Hi everyone! I have a random question about housing for med students. Could anyone shed some light about possible semi-affordable but convenient housing options? Are there any apartments where quite a few med students live? I'm not too familiar with the area and have just begun to look at some options, but any feedback would be appreciated! :D

Just echoing what pingouin said: You guys will get something soon about apartments that is way more comprehensive than anything I could put together. I think you'll find it helpful.

I received my housing packet late last week (Thursday or Friday, IIRC) so you all should be receiving yours shortly, I would imagine.

Anyone know when they will be arriving in Columbia? Since I'll have not much to do I'd be up for grabbing drinks and hangin' out prior to orientation.

Hello all, got the housing packet, pops looked through it and found a pretty sweet looking house for sale with two other rooms I could rent out. Any one know of students who have gone that route? Or is that just plain silly?

To the current students: does mizzou drug test prior to matriculation?

Hello all, got the housing packet, pops looked through it and found a pretty sweet looking house for sale with two other rooms I could rent out. Any one know of students who have gone that route? Or is that just plain silly?

Not silly at all, but I think it's a bit more involved than you are making it out to be. If you rent to others, you'll be their landlord and there are some legal implications that come with that. You could easily have a lawyer draw up a rudimentary lease for your 'tenets,' but I'd make sure to have an attorney do it. Also, if you do buy a house, make sure you buy one that you can afford without roommates. There aren't any guarantees that you'll want roomies (or that they'll want you! I keed, I keed) so you don't want to have to rely on them as income. I've known a couple of students go this route and I don't think they had any major complaints, just make sure you think it through before making a big financial commitment.

There's a conference coming up - the 2010 INMED [Institute for International Medicine] Exploring Medical Missions Conference is on May 21-22. It's in KC MO.
I'm not trying to advertise, I just really loved it ^_^

I went to both INMED conferences last year and they were AMAZING.
The focus is serving underserved (and UNserved) populations around the globe and tackling disease control, malnutrition, education, and meeting the needs of populations with little resources. It is not a religious missions thing, though there were many individuals who were taking "serving your fellow man" to heart. It's a gathering of brilliant healthcare professionals sharing their experiences and solutions with each other.

It was awesome and inspiring meeting so many people dedicated to improving healthcare domestically and globally.
For example, there was a man demonstrating water purifiers that ran on just salt and solar power - ionizing and isolating the cholorine to treat the water. A woman gave a talk about how she teaches midwifery to indigenous villages in the mountains of Nepal and has reduced infant mortality rates by like 40%. Several seminars were on how to effectively use limited amounts of medication and equipment to provide maximum amount of care.

There are also opportunities offered to do a year of residency or even clinicals in different places around the world.

And it's an outstanding opportunity for networking with other physicians and med students/residents. There are residency programs from several hospitals who were there recruiting and offering information.

Students get a big discount too - I think it's like $45 for both days, including coffee/donuts and lunch. Like I said I'm not advertising it, but it really kicked arse.

Last edited:
Anyone know when award letters are sent out?

If I recall correctly, the letters will be sent out on or around April 30th. The scholarship apps are due April 1st (again IIRC) and the scholarship committee was to meet and dole out any funds. I think the email you received from the financial aid coordinator has the dates in it.

If I recall correctly, the letters will be sent out on or around April 30th. The scholarship apps are due April 1st (again IIRC) and the scholarship committee was to meet and dole out any funds. I think the email you received from the financial aid coordinator has the dates in it.
I'm assuming if you're on the waitlist you can't get a scholarship app...if they pull you into the class, tho, do you get a chance then to do an app, even if it's later? hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.