2009-2010 University of Pennsylvania Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What days are off in Mod 1 and 2? Labor day? the Jewish Holidays? Did you guys just get off for Thursday and Friday of Thanksgiving?

I only ask because I will be in a long distance relationship and will need to start plannin' out trips super quick.

Members don't see this ad.

What days are off in Mod 1 and 2? Labor day? the Jewish Holidays? Did you guys just get off for Thursday and Friday of Thanksgiving?

I only ask because I will be in a long distance relationship and will need to start plannin' out trips super quick.

University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
Academic Calendar 2010-2011

2010 Day Holiday/Event/Deadline Time

August 9-13 Monday-Friday Orientation (First Year)
August 13 Friday White Coat Ceremony (First Year) 3:00 pm
August 16 Monday Classes Begin (First Year) 8:00 am
August 23 Monday Classes Begin (Second Year) 8:00 am
September 6 Monday Labor Day - No Classes
November 24 Wednesday Thanksgiving Recess Begins 5:00 pm
November 29 Monday Thanksgiving Recess Ends 8:00 am
December 22 Wednesday Winter Break Begins (First Year) 5:00 pm

2011 Day Holiday/Event/Deadline Time

January 3 Monday Winter Break Ends 8:00 am
January 17 Monday Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - No Classes
March 6 Sunday Spring Break Begins 5:00 pm
March 14 Monday Spring Break Ends 8:00 am
May 15 Sunday Medical School Graduation
May 30 Monday Memorial Day - No Classes
June 21 Tuesday Summer Break Begins (First Year)

Members don't see this ad :)
So what should we expected at the second look weekend? Is it fun or boring?

So what should we expected at the second look weekend? Is it fun or boring?

the layout looks great. pretty sad that i waited too long and i'm on the waitlist for chop :(

They even have waitlists for the second look weekend? Is it tiered?

They even have waitlists for the second look weekend? Is it tiered?

High five :laugh:

"You have been placed in the Tier 1 High Priority List for the CHOP tour, the very top of our waitlist. We hope you remain interested in the CHOP tour, as we have a continuing interest in you."

High five :laugh:

"You have been placed in the Tier 1 High Priority List for the CHOP tour, the very top of our waitlist. We hope you remain interested in the CHOP tour, as we have a continuing interest in you."

haha... thats how i feel!! oh well.. i guess i'll see chop one day. It seems like it's a kind of "explore on your own" with some programs scattered throughout the weekend.. not super structured. At least in my opinion??

haha... thats how i feel!! oh well.. i guess i'll see chop one day. It seems like it's a kind of "explore on your own" with some programs scattered throughout the weekend.. not super structured. At least in my opinion??

I'm just going to walk around the hospital by myself and look all official... hopefully they won't card me or something :laugh:

We're birthday buddies!

really?! First time I've met someone else w/ my bday... actually I guess I know of two people - you and hirudo's cousin!

4/8 = awesome. My second birthday starts 4/9 - and my party's friday night. Here's hoping it turns out to be super awesome (one of my last big hurrahs in NYC before I run off to philly!)

I'm just going to walk around the hospital by myself and look all official... hopefully they won't card me or something :laugh:

for some reason i remember CHOP being **extremely** secure. ID cards for everything

for some reason i remember CHOP being **extremely** secure. ID cards for everything

oh wait I remember that too... I guess it has something to do w/ little kids + really REALLY expensive equipment..

Using my sleight of hand to pick an ID card and go around the hospital is probably a BAD thing to do right? :smack:

Members don't see this ad :)
oh wait I remember that too... I guess it has something to do w/ little kids + really REALLY expensive equipment..

Using my sleight of hand to pick an ID card and go around the hospital is probably a BAD thing to do right? :smack:

i see potential for things to go wrong:p

Well, you could always come find me as I work at CHOP and have access to all the secret places with the swipe of my badge. We're technically a separate institution from Penn, and in some buildings even Penn ID cards won't get you in (not the hospital though).

Or, (on the down low), you can always use the CHOP security hole...which is entering the hospital through the street access door of the McDonalds which somehow bypasses the security desk...but don't tell anyone I told you about that.

Or, (on the down low), you can always use the CHOP security hole...which is entering the hospital through the street access door of the McDonalds which somehow bypasses the security desk...but don't tell anyone I told you about that.

Shh... Even as med students we have to sneak around there sometimes you know... ;)

Shh... Even as med students we have to sneak around there sometimes you know... ;)

:cool:

Yeah, we have trainings on what do in the event a patient is abducted. Sometimes, I want to send in an email...."ever think of not letting people into the building through cheap fast food restaurants to prevent this from ever happening?" But then I remember it would make it harder for me to eat lunch with my non-CHOP friends in the Main Cafeteria. Mmmm...scrumptious and cheap.

Well, you could always come find me as I work at CHOP and have access to all the secret places with the swipe of my badge. We're technically a separate institution from Penn, and in some buildings even Penn ID cards won't get you in (not the hospital though).

haha mdE i think doc2014 and i might take you up on that offer :laugh:

And you gota love security holes - there's a reason even as IT administrators we leave holes in the system :smuggrin:

i still don't understand why so many hospitals have mcD's and burger kings etc. in their food court areas. I guess if they have a heartattack from the food, help is near by?

I mean it actually seems kinda irresponsible on the hospital's part... and hypocritical (not Hippocratic! Can you believe I didn't realize they were different till like 2 months ago? :laugh:)

i still don't understand why so many hospitals have mcD's and burger kings etc. in their food court areas. I guess if they have a heartattack from the food, help is near by?

I mean it actually seems kinda irresponsible on the hospital's part... and hypocritical (not Hippocratic! Can you believe I didn't realize they were different till like 2 months ago? :laugh:)

Because they're affordable, I think.

I remember being at Einstein where they replaced the old McDonalds with a Au Bon Pan. Our tour guide (maybe a 80 year old geriatrician), said he hated the new ABP. It was too expensive for most of the patients and he'd rather they have food they could afford than no food at all.

Because they're affordable, I think.

I remember being at Einstein where they replaced the old McDonalds with a Au Bon Pan. Our tour guide (maybe a 80 year old geriatrician), said he hated the new ABP. It was too expensive for most of the patients and he'd rather they have food they could afford than no food at all.

Eh I agree with that... but I'd rather have them not die. I guess that's the problem w/ McD's - they've become so commercialized that they can provide really REALLY cheap food. That's why I'm hoping subway can come up to the same level eventually so you can get (semi) healthy food for a cheap price too

haha mdE i think doc2014 and i might take you up on that offer :laugh:

And you gota love security holes - there's a reason even as IT administrators we leave holes in the system :smuggrin:

OK. My tour fee will be the Penn Med backpack they'll give you. That way, I can prove to Gaye that they I am actually an accepted student and this whole waitlist thing was just a big mixup.

OK. My tour fee will be the Penn Med backpack they'll give you. That way, I can prove to Gaye that they I am actually an accepted student and this whole waitlist thing was just a big mixup.

Wait I get a backpack?! Dude sweet

I was under the impression most children's hospitals had McD's because of the whole Ronald McDonald House collaboration--gotta get get them donation dollars.

I was under the impression most children's hospitals had McD's because of the whole Ronald McDonald House collaboration--gotta get get them donation dollars.

Makes sense for CHOP. The original Ronald McDonald House was founded in Philadelphia...to host families of children staying at CHOP.

The reason you need a McDonald's in a children's hospital:

"If you don't cooperate with the doctor you're not getting any McDonald's!"

Nuff said.

As for the Potbelly Sandwich Works underneath the Penn Diabetes Center, I have no good explanation :laugh:

Mini gym backpack. At least that's what they gave them last year when I saw the flocks of admitted students outside BRB.

ok....we all know you work at CHOP... we get it.. don't need to keep finding excuses to remind us

Last edited:
um ok. SwineSue, why are you always so angry, lol?

I agree. Just chill out. mdeast is just giving us all great info on Philly and Penn. Anyway, I appreciate all the info and advice that you've given out in this thread. Keep it coming.

Thanks! But you will essentially have to study for 3 exams at a time? I couldnt imagine having to study for three undergraduate courses at a time, let alone medical school courses. The way that you make it sound though i'm way over-reacting

In each of the blocks, there was one class of the three that didn't require anywhere near as much studying as the other two (genetics and epidemiology are two examples). So then you're splitting study time between two classes, which is good to learn. In Mod 2, there is only one exam, but over a lot of info and you have to figure out how to budget your time studying for that too.
It does sound like a lot (when I was in your shoes last year, everything about med school sounded incredibly daunting) but it really is doable.

As for unidentified entry into CHOP, McDonalds is the best route (I for one think that sick kids should get fries if they want them. I also support it for med students in the midst of late night studying.) Preview should be really fun. I couldn't go last year, but I've had multiple classmates tell me that their experience at Penn Preview helped solidify their decision to come here.

ok....we all know you work at CHOP... we get it.. don't need to keep finding excuses to remind us

Yea swine stop being such a swine :laugh:

I'm sorry, I'm sorry I couldn't resist :rofl:

I am way too excited to get that backpack!

I still have mine from two years ago. They are awesome! Can't wait to get another in a couple of weeks and meet my future classmates!

Speaking of which - anyone coming down (or up) for the Off campus housing fair on Wednesday? (I'll be there :D)

Went down to Penn on Sunday too to scope out some of the neighbourhoods and look at some condos that were for sale. If anyone's interested... here's my "analysis":

It seems like up to 40th street to the west is ok - between Market and Pine street. But anything beyond that... not really. Actually, between Chestnut and locust seems to be ok after 40th street - but the areas around market (especially) seem to not be so great. Spruce and pine seem to get shady after 40th too. As with much of philly, there are "pockets" - or blocks - of shady areas within this general area - although there aren't that many bad pockets up to 36th street.

As for center city - much of that between JFK blvd and spruce or pine seems to be awesome (up to 16th street - anything after that just seems waaaay too far). Again, the closer you are to chestnut you are, the better the area seems to be. Definitely more "pockets" of shady-ness in center city as compared to the areas I listed in university city though. Looks like the "Bad pockets" seem to start after 20th or 19th streets.

P.S.: philly people correct me if I'm (super-obviously) wrong on these assessments !

Don't know if that helps - but it might help people narrow down housing options :)

Speaking of which - anyone coming down (or up) for the Off campus housing fair on Wednesday? (I'll be there :D)

Went down to Penn on Sunday too to scope out some of the neighbourhoods and look at some condos that were for sale. If anyone's interested... here's my "analysis":

It seems like up to 40th street to the west is ok - between Market and Pine street. But anything beyond that... not really. Actually, between Chestnut and locust seems to be ok after 40th street - but the areas around market (especially) seem to not be so great. Spruce and pine seem to get shady after 40th too. As with much of philly, there are "pockets" - or blocks - of shady areas within this general area - although there aren't that many bad pockets up to 36th street.

As for center city - much of that between JFK blvd and spruce or pine seems to be awesome (up to 16th street - anything after that just seems waaaay too far). Again, the closer you are to chestnut you are, the better the area seems to be. Definitely more "pockets" of shady-ness in center city as compared to the areas I listed in university city though. Looks like the "Bad pockets" seem to start after 20th or 19th streets.

P.S.: philly people correct me if I'm (super-obviously) wrong on these assessments !

Don't know if that helps - but it might help people narrow down housing options :)

Seems pretty right. i cant make it to the housing fair on wednesday :(. are they offering tours of houses or only general housing information?

Seems pretty right. i cant make it to the housing fair on wednesday :(. are they offering tours of houses or only general housing information?

Well, I can say the "pockets after 19th or 20th" are actually some of the nicest parts of the city. Most of the homes there are 1 million+ and that's generally considered one of the best areas in the city to live in. It's quieter than right off Rittenhouse, but you're still only a 5-10 minute walk away from everything. Does tend to be a bit more residential though, so less restaurants. But, again you're within walking distance.

You can definitely go south of Spruce/Pine. It isn't quite as nice, but Lombard and South/Bainbridge/Fitzwater are incredibly safe on the west side of the city. South of there, things do really get block to block, but the housing prices are so cheap that is justifies any shadiness. I live on South Street and I think my area of the city is actually one of the safest I've been to.

So i've lived in west philly for 3 years now. It has a bad wrap if you're not from the city but it's really not that bad. It's where a good 1/3 of medical students live and where about 40% of penn grad students in general live because parts are very beautiful and WAAAAAY cheaper than center city. (No official documentation on these stats just based on chatting with grad student services.) Also a big suggestion is don't let the outside fool you. The houses are old and yah they don't make the same impressions has a CC loft or brownstone but the insides are often very well maintained with original hardwood floors and all that. For example I live in a huge (and i really mean HUGE) 1 bedroom apartment with full kitchen, breakfast nook, livingroom, bedroom, bathroom for $625 including utilities new hardwood floors, dishwasher, all the immenities. The outside of the building looks less well maintained. So for those seriously considering west philly don't write it off!!! Here's a block by block break down which might be helpful to those considering west

Don't considering living on Market or Chestnut or Walnut: shady and not residential not much going on over there

Locust/pine up to 45th is fine: there are several frat houses in the area and lots of penn undergrads live up until this point

Osage up to 47th

Larchwood up to 48th: this street is mostly young families but has some lovely old houses

Hazel/Cedar up to 48th: this is my neighborhood and like a said beautiful apartments

Baltimore Ave is the major street in west philly and if you want to be near everything: park, food co-op restaurants, coffee shops, farmer's market, and trolleys it's good to live on or near this street.

Springfield/Chester up to 46th are good

My final recommendation to students wanting to live in west philadelphia is live near clark park at 42/baltimore. It's beautiful. Penn security, philadelphia security, PSU (philadelphia science university) security all patrol this area. Very very safe. Hope this is helpful

Last edited:
So i've lived in west philly for 3 years now. It has a bad wrap if you're not from the city but it's really not that bad. It's where a good 1/3 of medical students live and where about 40% of penn grad students in general live because parts are very beautiful and WAAAAAY cheaper than center city. (No official documentation on these stats just based on chatting with grad student services.) Also a big suggestion is don't let the outside fool you. The houses are old and yah they don't make the same impressions has a CC loft or brownstone but the insides are often very well maintained with original hardwood floors and all that. For example I live in a huge (and i really mean HUGE) 1 bedroom apartment with full kitchen, breakfast nook, livingroom, bedroom, bathroom for $625 including utilities new hardwood floors, dishwasher, all the immenities. The outside of the building looks less well maintained. So for those seriously considering west philly don't write it off!!! Here's a block by block break down which might be helpful to those considering west

Don't considering living on Market or Chestnut or Walnut: shady and not residential not much going on over there

Locust/pine up to 45th is fine: there are several frat houses in the area and lots of penn undergrads live up until this point

Osage up to 47th

Larchwood up to 48th: this street is mostly young families but has some lovely old houses

Hazel/Cedar up to 48th: this is my neighborhood and like a said beautiful apartments

Baltimore Ave is the major street in west philly and if you want to be near everything: park, food co-op restaurants, coffee shops, farmer's market, and trolleys it's good to live on or near this street.

Springfield/Chester up to 46th are good

My final recommendation to students wanting to live in west philadelphia is live near clark park at 42/baltimore. It's beautiful. Penn security, philadelphia security, PSU (philadelphia science university) security all patrol this area. Very very safe. Hope this is helpful

+1 Agreed.

You can find cheap stuff in Center City though. I live with friends in a large house...we have 4 decks (small balcony, wood deck, concrete ground deck, roof deck), a one-car garage, fireplace, extra bedroom, small bar, great kitchen. I pay $650/month. In my room alone I have a jaccuzi tub, shower, 2 walk-in closets, a small office, huge bay window, about 300 sqft living space.

Last edited:
+1 Agreed.

You can find cheap stuff in Center City though. I live with friends in a large house...we have 4 decks (small balcony, wood deck, concrete ground deck, roof deck), a one-car garage, fireplace, extra bedroom, small bar, great kitchen. I pay $650/month. In my room alone I have a jaccuzi tub, shower, 2 walk-in closets, a small office, huge bay window, about 300 sqft living space.

Do you live in CC? I thought you lived pretty far south of south st?

I live in Center City. I'll agree it's more expensive than West Philly. I'll disagree about shady parts. What shady parts of CC?! No such thing IMO.

Definitions of Center City for those who aren't aware:
Delaware River to the Schuylkill River
South Street to Vine Street

I've lived in several parts of Center City now. My favorite part was 13th and Spruce, and I used to commute by green line trolley. I currently live near 23rd and Locust, which is a very popular area for med students.

Do you live in CC? I thought you lived pretty far south of south st?

I live in Center City. I'll agree it's more expensive than West Philly. I'll disagree about shady parts. What shady parts of CC?! No such thing IMO.

Definitions of Center City for those who aren't aware:
Delaware River to the Schuylkill River
South Street to Vine Street

I've lived in several parts of Center City now. My favorite part was 13th and Spruce, and I used to commute by green line trolley. I currently live near 23rd and Locust, which is a very popular area for med students.

I'll agree. Between South and JFK and Front and the Schukyll (even farther north too, and south in parts), there really aren't any bad areas. It's all nice. Some areas are cheaper than others, but you really can't go wrong except for convenience of getting to West Philly.

I live a block off of South Street. It's a strange area of the city, but I definitely still consider it CC. It's not 13th and spruce CC, but it's still CC to me. Just a hop and skip away from where you are, so we're technically neighbors. A friend of mine lives on 23rd and St. James, so right next to you. Convenient to Penn (especially when the South Street Bridge opens). Plus, I'm a big runner and like the easy access to the trail and the schukyll river park (tennis, frisbee, walking my friend's dog when I have to babysit). I second the recommendation on that general area of the city. One of the best places to live if you don't want to take public transportation to class/clinic.

I live a block off of South Street. It's a strange area of the city, but I definitely still consider it CC.

Here's where I disagree with you. There are no bad/strange parts of Center City. Yes there are transitional areas a few blocks from Center City, and that certainly describes the area south of south street. Because it is transitional, it has gotten better over the years, and it is cheaper.

Convenient to Penn (especially when the South Street Bridge opens).

Hopefully it re-opens on time. If I was a student starting here I wouldn't take the bet that it's going to reopen as scheduled. The closing of the South St bridge was delayed for years. As it is it's a bike ride or bus ride away from campus to live south of south street. That will be AT LEAST until November.

All of this applies very much to your earlier Craig's List postings which I find somewhat misleading as to quality of neighborhood and distance from Penn. One was almost to Washington Avenue.

Here's where I disagree with you. There are no bad/strange parts of Center City. Yes there are transitional areas a few blocks from Center City, and that certainly describes the area south of south street. Because it is transitional, it has gotten better over the years, and it is cheaper.

Hopefully it re-opens on time. If I was a student starting here I wouldn't take the bet that it's going to reopen as scheduled. The closing of the South St bridge was delayed for years. As it is it's a bike ride or bus ride away from campus to live south of south street. That will be AT LEAST until November.

All of this applies very much to your earlier Craig's List postings which I find somewhat misleading as to quality of neighborhood and distance from Penn. One was almost to Washington Avenue.

No. Not strange in a sketchy sort of way. My area of the city has gotten quiet because of the South Street bridge closing. So...essentially, way less traffic because the only reason to venture out here is for the liquor store, a few bars, or if you live here. So, it becomes a strange suburban feel because of it. It's still in Center City though, few could really debate that.

South of South really isn't that far. I have friends who live there. And I sometimes bike by there in the morning if I have an errand to run. From South to Walnut to Penn...takes generally 10 minutes via bike. Walking is longer, maybe 1/2 hour. But on a nice day...who cares. It's free, can't complain. Winter is another story, but coming from just about anywhere in CC to West Philly by foot or bike is terrible in the winter. Unless of course you take public transportation...but you can do that from any area of the city really. The Lombard route bus (40 or 42? I think) goes to HUP/CHOP.

I know of a decent amount of Penn Med kids that live here too. Although, I admit most do tend to live closer to Rittenhouse.

Last edited:
It's still in Center City though, few could really debate that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_City,_Philadelphia

Center City is bounded by South Street to the south, the Delaware River to the east, the Schuylkill River to the west and either Vine Street or Spring Garden Street to the north

I certainly don't call anything south of south street "center city". You can call it Southwest Center City if you like. I like "South of South" or So-So. You can call it Graduate Hospital District--though Graduate Hospital folded years ago and is now Penn Med at Rittenhouse. But note that the Wikipedia entry on the neighborhood sits in the "Neighborhoods of the South Philadelphia section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania" section of Wikipedia. South of south street is technically South Philadelphia. For more info, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Center_City

I'd agree that from 24th and South it's about 1/2 hour walk to the med school over the Walnut St bridge (Google Maps says 28 mins). Add additional time for each additional block further south or east. Whether you consider that walking distance is up to you. Biking from there is possible, but the crowded narrow streets before you get to Walnut make me nervous just thinking about it.

But hey, what do I know. I've only lived in Philly in numerous places for 7 years and lived right around here my whole life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_City,_Philadelphia

I certainly don't call anything south of south street "center city". You can call it Southwest Center City if you like. I like "South of South" or So-So. You can call it Graduate Hospital District--though Graduate Hospital folded years ago and is now Penn Med at Rittenhouse. But note that the Wikipedia entry on the neighborhood sits in the "Neighborhoods of the South Philadelphia section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania" section of Wikipedia. South of south street is technically South Philadelphia. For more info, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Center_City

I'd agree that from 24th and South it's about 1/2 hour walk to the med school over the Walnut St bridge (Google Maps says 28 mins). Add additional time for each additional block further south or east. Whether you consider that walking distance is up to you. Biking from there is possible, but the crowded narrow streets before you get to Walnut make me nervous just thinking about it.

But hey, what do I know. I've only lived in Philly in numerous places for 7 years and lived right around here my whole life.

I live at 26th and South, between South and Lombard. That is Center City, lol. That's what I was referring to.

I also have biked from that area of the city everyday for 2 years. It's simple. Walnut street is WAY, WAY scarier to bike on than any street south of there. There's infinitely less traffic as you head further south. I use my bike as my main mode of transportation in the city, with the exception of grocery shopping trips. Spruce and Pine are the express routes to either end of the city. I'd never rely on Chestnut/Walnut. Too much traffic, no bike lanes, angry drivers. Further south you go, even roads without bike lanes become fine because of the lack of substantial traffic.

Bike theft can be an issue. But, you'll rarely find a problem parking during the day around Penn Med's campus (especially near the research quad...no one would steal a bike in broad daylight from there). I've had my back wheel/gears stolen, but this was from leaving my bike overnight at my SO's place (in the Italian Market). If you bring it inside, you don't have anything to worry about.

Last edited:
wow, Penn is creeping up on folks. I wonder if Harvard is feeling the heat. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.