2009-2010 University of Vermont Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because we're in wait-list hell :)

Yea, we're in waitlist limbo land.

I was reading another old UVM thread the other day, from 2005-2006, and their thread was so hip and happenin'. People who weren't even going to UVM followed the waitlisters on the thread, rooting for them to get in. :laugh:

I guess we're a different crowd. But honestly, I'm rooting for any one of us to get in. It's tough waiting, but I really hope that someone gets pulled off the list soon. Kudos to us for waiting!:thumbup:

Some people always tell me to stay away SDN, but I actually find comfort in coming to this site. It doesn't make me more anxsy than I already am. It's nice to know that other people are in the exact same boat. So yea...good luck to all of us. Hang in there!!!:)

Yea, we're in waitlist limbo land.

I was reading another old UVM thread the other day, from 2005-2006, and their thread was so hip and happenin'. People who weren't even going to UVM followed the waitlisters on the thread, rooting for them to get in. :laugh:

I guess we're a different crowd. But honestly, I'm rooting for any one of us to get in. It's tough waiting, but I really hope that someone gets pulled off the list soon. Kudos to us for waiting!:thumbup:

Some people always tell me to stay away SDN, but I actually find comfort in coming to this site. It doesn't make me more anxsy than I already am. It's nice to know that other people are in the exact same boat. So yea...good luck to all of us. Hang in there!!!:)

I second that...

Also I found out a few weeks ago that they will let you know your position on the waitlist or your chances later in the summer. One of the officers explained this to me; however she did not say when. My guess would be in July.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second that...

Also I found out a few weeks ago that they will let you know your position on the waitlist or your chances later in the summer. One of the officers explained this to me; however she did not say when. My guess would be in July.

I sincerely hope I get to see you all waitlist folks as my classmates this fall! Good luck guys, just keep some faith!!!

are the majority of yall waitlisters UVM or bust? or do you have other acceptances?

I second that...

Really?? So that means we are ranked but they just don't want to tell us yet? Or do you think in a few weeks they'll have a better idea of how many more people they expect to accept and so they'll give everyone who contacts them the same generic answer?

Really?? So that means we are ranked but they just don't want to tell us yet? Or do you think in a few weeks they'll have a better idea of how many more people they expect to accept and so they'll give everyone who contacts them the same generic answer?

From what I have been told, read, and what other students from last year said it is "unranked". They use a number of different criteria to evaluate a student on the waitlist, as was with the whole admissions process (more than just mcat/gpa or else only the top numbers would get off the list and it would be ranked)....When a person withdraws they will try to fill that spot with someone with similar credentials to balance out the class.

I'm assuming as summer continues people will eventually remove themselves from the waitlist. Once admissions gets a good headcount for the class they may release a pseudo rank for all those left.

Hopefully enough spots will open up that we can all get a seat. :xf:

Okay, lots of positive thoughts for today! It didn't sound like anyone got in last week right? So this week is the week!

From what I have been told, read, and what other students from last year said it is "unranked". They use a number of different criteria to evaluate a student on the waitlist, as was with the whole admissions process (more than just mcat/gpa or else only the top numbers would get off the list and it would be ranked)....When a person withdraws they will try to fill that spot with someone with similar credentials to balance out the class.

I'm assuming as summer continues people will eventually remove themselves from the waitlist. Once admissions gets a good headcount for the class they may release a pseudo rank for all those left.

Hopefully enough spots will open up that we can all get a seat. :xf:

Would be nice if UVM demystified themselves a little.

You're right :D

I think I've conceded defeat with UVM. If I get in, it would be an amazing surprise, but I'm already working on my 2010 AMCAS. Its frustrating, because I'll never be more ready than I am right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I've conceded defeat with UVM. If I get in, it would be an amazing surprise, but I'm already working on my 2010 AMCAS. Its frustrating, because I'll never be more ready than I am right now.

I'm in the exact same spot. I'm doing my 2010 application now. It's really hard to say what's changed in less than a year. What I thought was enough wasn't...and doing better than what I had thought was my best is really tough. :\ I'm having a lot of trouble writing this personal statement. Hahaha...

Wow, I leave for a day and everyone gets all negative on me. We still got two whole months of movement ahead of us. Stay positive and find something to occupy your time. :thumbup:

Wow, I leave for a day and everyone gets all negative on me. We still got two whole months of movement ahead of us. Stay positive and find something to occupy your time. :thumbup:

Exactly! It's easier said than done, I struggle a lot with it too but everything will eventually pay off!!!

Positive thoughts....Boston beats L.A....positive thoughts....

Maybe it's not my place, but I don't think that's true. I went through the application process twice and I thought the same exact thing the first time around (after not getting in). However, I had an awesome opportunity to be able to work in an ER for a little over a year now, and I've learned more here hands-on than I've learned throughout undergrad, shadowing, etc. You shouldn't be so negative about it, sometimes things happen for a reason, and you reason with the things that happen to you.

Maybe it's not my place, but I don't think that's true. I went through the application process twice and I thought the same exact thing the first time around (after not getting in). However, I had an awesome opportunity to be able to work in an ER for a little over a year now, and I've learned more here hands-on than I've learned throughout undergrad, shadowing, etc. You shouldn't be so negative about it, sometimes things happen for a reason, and you reason with the things that happen to you.

You're right. It's not your place.

I know you're just trying to help, but you don't know me. So please don't talk down to me.

My point about never being more ready was in terms of academics - I don't want to have to reapply and be away from an academic environment. I don't want to get out of "school mode."

...Anyone see any good movies lately?

SO... :) I watched the first twenty minutes of "Ondine" with Colin Farrell. It was alright, but they removed the video from the site. So I didn't get to watch the rest.

Has anyone watched, "Get Him to the Greek"? Looks stupid but Pharrell's in it?!?!?!

**I noticed another person got in today from the fb group. Now @ 88. :) It's moving,...at a snail's pace. It seems like they're just pulling one-by-one now. :sleep:

Ok, so I've definitely stalked the facebook group too, and although there are 88 people, a LOT of them are upperclassmen who joined so they could post info about apartments or looking for roomies. Also, theres a couple highschool students in there too. So, just throwing that out there for what its worth.

You're right. It's not your place.

I know you're just trying to help, but you don't know me. So please don't talk down to me.

My point about never being more ready was in terms of academics - I don't want to have to reapply and be away from an academic environment. I don't want to get out of "school mode."

Having been out of school mode for quite some time, at least in terms of full-time classes (I am most definitely a non-traditional student) really won't hurt, trust me. I understand totally about wanting to get in this time around (I had a lot riding on it, giving that I gave up a well paying career to be able to apply this cycle), but it is true that sometimes things work out for the best, in the end, even if they take longer. I am sure it is hugely frustrating to be waiting still, but try to make the best of whatever happens - doing so will only show committees why they should accept you the second time around.

Ok, so I've definitely stalked the facebook group too, and although there are 88 people, a LOT of them are upperclassmen who joined so they could post info about apartments or looking for roomies. Also, theres a couple highschool students in there too. So, just throwing that out there for what its worth.

Yea, there are 92 today! >< But the people who added are also probably renters.

No acceptances today?

It seems like things at the admissions office have been pretty quiet

...chirp....chirp.....

Still trying to be positive......

Okay, I don't know if anything will come of this. But if I start this, maybe we can get more updates from people. I see other wait list threads doing this, so this might help?

Here's a list I compiled (I really have no life and I don't want to write my ps for the 2011 cycle.). If anyone finds out where they are on the wait list (top, middle, bottom?) or if they get off the wait list, please let us know. So we'll at least know if it's moving.

Accepted

Waitlisted (~42)

Niner4life
LittleBun
PropoiseMD
Brooksie442
EZMac
Dadocca
Cho15
FootDrop
JockState
JTM6
nmbutah
berkeleyvala
justdumpit
DMA
Reelsmooth
Conrad123
Beluga
RhodonMD
Fatty19
Davidsomsen
Mmikey
Operatingroom
RevDM
anriav
Papilliontat2
Sabre
joebear80
cdlub
icecubes
swingline
immunoglobulin
eating at wendy
cardiology88
mae16
hamphopeful
JasonsMom
CodoubleM02
CaliSurferDOC
ItsMarathon
nasppah
Purkinje
Dive2high

Damn, that's a long-a** list. But if I'm missing anyone, go ahead and add. If I misspelled someone's name, please correct.

I really hope we get some under "Accepted" soon. :)

Okay, I don't know if anything will come of this. But if I start this, maybe we can get more updates from people. I see other wait list threads doing this, so this might help?

Here's a list I compiled (I really have no life and I don't want to write my ps for the 2011 cycle.). If anyone finds out where they are on the wait list (top, middle, bottom?) or if they get off the wait list, please let us know. So we'll at least know if it's moving.

Accepted

Waitlisted (~42)

Niner4life
LittleBun
PropoiseMD
Brooksie442
EZMac
Dadocca
Cho15
FootDrop
JockState
JTM6
nmbutah
berkeleyvala
justdumpit
DMA
Reelsmooth
Conrad123
Beluga
RhodonMD
Fatty19
Davidsomsen
Mmikey
Operatingroom
RevDM
anriav
Papilliontat2
Sabre
joebear80
cdlub
icecubes
swingline
immunoglobulin
eating at wendy
cardiology88
mae16
hamphopeful
JasonsMom
CodoubleM02
CaliSurferDOC
ItsMarathon
nasppah
Purkinje
Dive2high

Damn, that's a long-a** list. But if I'm missing anyone, go ahead and add. If I misspelled someone's name, please correct.

I really hope we get some under "Accepted" soon. :)

:laugh::laugh: Props to you LittleBun for making the list and good luck to all of us! I don't know whether to hate you or thank you for that! Seeing that list and the little movement so far has really made lost some hope for getting in. Word of advice: I'd suggest using your free time to write love letters to UVM if you haven't been doing so.

EZMac! You're new. Where have you been hiding?

Haha...I posted just once before. I CANNOT TAKE IT ANYMORE. I have no acceptances so my life is truly in limbo. I just got a job offer today and should be excited, but I really want this to happen.

There should be a support group for waitlisters...

Haha...I posted just once before. I CANNOT TAKE IT ANYMORE. I have no acceptances so my life is truly in limbo. I just got a job offer today and should be excited, but I really want this to happen.

There should be a support group for waitlisters...

There is... we call it the Student Doctor Network:

Hi, my name is dadocca and I've been a member since being waitlist for my first school last cycle. I decided to join A... I mean SDN... because people near and dear to me threatened to not speak to me if I complain anymore about being on being waitlisted. :oops:

Just sent in my gabillionth letter of interest. My file must be a foot thick!

Last edited:
just called to ask how the waitlist has been moving (i think this year is unusually slow) and i was told that it's been pretty quiet but that the class is "very close" to being full

just called to ask how the waitlist has been moving (i think this year is unusually slow) and i was told that it's been pretty quiet but that the class is "very close" to being full

Oh man, that's not good at all. I think I might offer up my first-born child to the admissions office. Maybe then they'll let me in...

You've put my nerves to rest. :)

Thanks dadocca for calling!

Yeah, that sounds like bad news to me. I'm just hoping one of us gets in soon...

There is... we call it the Student Doctor Network:

Hi, my name is dadocca and I've been a member since being waitlist for my first school last cycle. I decided to join A... I mean SDN... because people near and dear to me threatened to not speak to me if I complain anymore about being on being waitlisted. :oops:

Ah yes...definitely waitlist hell. I was on a waitlist last year, didn't get in. Got waitlisted twice this year...and I'm really hoping UVM picks me as well as many of you off that dreaded list. Unfortunately, it's new application time as well, which doesn't help the situation.

BTW, what do some of you possibly write in all those interest letters? I don't think I have much left to say besides "I'm dying to get into your school and will hand over my money ASAP" lol and I feel like the 15th time they read that it won't be a good thing anymore...

Ah yes...definitely waitlist hell. I was on a waitlist last year, didn't get in. Got waitlisted twice this year...and I'm really hoping UVM picks me as well as many of you off that dreaded list. Unfortunately, it's new application time as well, which doesn't help the situation.

BTW, what do some of you possibly write in all those interest letters? I don't think I have much left to say besides "I'm dying to get into your school and will hand over my money ASAP" lol and I feel like the 15th time they read that it won't be a good thing anymore...

I understand your pain. I sent in 4 letters, but by the fourth, I felt a little uncomfortable sending one, thinking it was tad obnoxious already. I don't want them to drown in letters that pretty much say the same thing. My first one was the longest (1 1/2 pages) and said everything that I wanted to say- I love the program, the people, and the city. Maybe that wasn't the best tactic because some split their letters into parts, so that each letter has a new subject- program! people! city!

Point is- they know. They know I want to go oh-so-badly. And as "receptive" as they are to interest, I don't know how much more another letter will do. Maybe I will get another viewpoint from someone else about this after my post, but this is just my opinion.

For what it's worth, I spoke to someone at the office and she also said that too many may not be so great, saying beyond 6 or 7 might be excessive. I think someone earlier in the thread put it nicely, that you have to find a balance between showing your interest and annoying the crap out of the office.:idea:

Hang in there! :)

Oh yea, and Dadocca's post about the class being "very close" provided relief to me because after reading that, I felt like I should really move on, expect the worst and hope for the best. I'd be ecstatic, overjoyed, bouncing-off-the-walls happy :love: if I was accepted, but I have to keep trying and work really hard on my second cycle without UVM on my mind.

I understand your pain. I sent in 4 letters, but by the fourth, I felt a little uncomfortable sending one, thinking it was tad obnoxious already. I don't want them to drown in letters that pretty much say the same thing. My first one was the longest (1 1/2 pages) and said everything that I wanted to say- I love the program, the people, and the city. Maybe that wasn't the best tactic because some split their letters into parts, so that each letter has a new subject- program! people! city!

Point is- they know. They know I want to go oh-so-badly. And as "receptive" as they are to interest, I don't know how much more another letter will do. Maybe I will get another viewpoint from someone else about this after my post, but this is just my opinion.

For what it's worth, I spoke to someone at the office and she also said that too many may not be so great, saying beyond 6 or 7 might be excessive. I think someone earlier in the thread put it nicely, that you have to find a balance between showing your interest and annoying the crap out of the office.:idea:

Hang in there! :)

Oh yea, and Dadocca's post about the class being "very close" provided relief to me because after reading that, I felt like I should really move on, expect the worst and hope for the best. I'd be ecstatic, overjoyed, bouncing-off-the-walls happy :love: if I was accepted, but I have to keep trying and work really hard on my second cycle without UVM on my mind.

Agreed. I sent in my last one a few days ago. I'll give them a call sometime in July, but I feel like enough is enough. Updates are great, but there should be a one love-letter rule, I think.

long shot this pertains to anyone still reading (but I have been keeping up with the thread since I withdrew so I might get lucky); has anyone gotten their deposit check back?

I'm still here! Any acceptances?

I talked to the admissions office on Friday and asked if there was any information they could give me about the waitlist. They said that they try to keep the Class full at any given time. But, people do drop out and then they pull someone off the waitlist. This sounds right.

So, that kind of bummed me out, but there is definitely still hope!

I'm still here too. :)

:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf: to the wl-sted.

Thanks brooksie for calling and sharing!

I'm on the waitlist too. Hoping we all hear soon. Would LOVE to go to UVM!! Sent in about one interest/intent letter a month so far. Waiting is so hard!

I'm on the waitlist too. Hoping we all hear soon. Would LOVE to go to UVM!! Sent in about one interest/intent letter a month so far. Waiting is so hard!

Welcome to our thread! We can all chill in the waiting pool together.

Only about 6-7 weeks till orientation. By then we'll all know for sure. One week at a time people.

They told me today that they have slowly resumed accepting about 1 person per week

They told me today that they have slowly resumed accepting about 1 person per week

Thanks again dadocca for calling and checking! I'll make a call at the end of this month and report back as well.

Here's a cheery song and video to keep spirits high. I feel like we're all those kids w/ sad faces on our paper bags. We just need that one happy face to get us excited and dancing. Hahaha :)

[YOUTUBE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScC_pi3PJ9k[/YOUTUBE]

I heard that UVM has decreased its seats for residents. Any Vermonters waiting? That's got to be the ultimate waitlist frustration. Supporting UVM with tax dollars and all.

That's me. I'm a Vermonter and work at Fletcher Allen. I see the med students everyday...I just want to be one!

Status
Not open for further replies.