2009-2010 University of Vermont Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just got accepted!! interviewed in november, waitlisted (OOS) in december, accepted today! i am soooo happy and did not expect to hear anything today, since its a saturday! I am especially happy because i broke my elbow on thursday and am in a full arm cast for 6 weeks so good news is very welcomed right now :) good luck to everyone else waiting!!!

Members don't see this ad.

just got accepted!! interviewed in november, waitlisted (OOS) in december, accepted today! i am soooo happy and did not expect to hear anything today, since its a saturday! I am especially happy because i broke my elbow on thursday and am in a full arm cast for 6 weeks so good news is very welcomed right now :) good luck to everyone else waiting!!!

aw.. congrats!! i've broken both of my elbows too and it's no fun =[. i'm glad something happened to balance it out!!

Congratulations! just got accepted as well!!! I am so so excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the acceptances! Did you guys send in any letters or called? Are both of you set on going here?

I wrote them four times, the first time when I got waitlisted and about every 4 weeks since then, most recently about 2 weeks ago. I didn't ever call, but thought about it a few times. I will be attending. Good luck!

fyi for all you who were just accepted, there's a fb group up already 'uvm com of 2014'

Congrats on the acceptances! Did you guys send in any letters or called? Are both of you set on going here?

Thanks! I just sent 1 letter of intent after I got waitlisted and gave them a call expressing my interest....and then, accepted 4 days after!!!

congrats to everyone who was expected today! hopefully it's just the start of the hurricane of acceptances approaching the next couple of weeks :xf:

So as someone who has several friends who have either recently graduated or are still at UVM (I will be starting this August) and they all said they felt very prepared for Step 1, and are very glad to have the extra few months of rotations. I don't think you have any cause for concern - they give you the entire month of February of your 2nd year off to prepare, and you can take it at any point that month, depending on how you feel about it.

Hey congrats! I went to 2nd day and the main advantage with the VIC is that you finish your third year rotations in March compare to June/July in other traditional curriculum. This will give you 3 extra months to get more experience in the specialty you want to pursue. For example, if you want to do dermatology or other competitive electives at Duke (where there's only 2 positions available), then you have the field advantage because you can apply in March where there is little competition in getting that spot as opposed to June where thousands of med students want that position.

In terms of step 1, the students said they felt prepare to take it. Honestly, I think it's the student and not the school that determines how well they do on the test.

Did anybody else have their heart jump with the waitlist update email?

Members don't see this ad :)
What was the update? I haven't received an e-mail yet.

I'm assuming all waitlister's have received it and the email basically reiterates what was already written on our online applicant center once we got waitlisted.

What was the update? I haven't received an e-mail yet.

Maybe because you're on the top of the list and will hear some good news soon! :)

Yes, the email update just wants to know if you're no longer interested, to send in an email withdrawing from the waitlist, and if you are still interested, you may send a letter to reaffirm your interest. Same as before but they just really want to know who will withdraw so they'll have a more accurate head count.

I haven't received an email yet either. I really hope thats not bad news...

I haven't received an email yet either. I really hope thats not bad news...

No, I really think, if anything, that's a good sign if you don't get that email. Wouldn't it make sense that they would send the email to the second or third tier waitlisters? To try to cut the list from the bottom up.

No, I really think, if anything, that's a good sign if you don't get that email. Wouldn't it make sense that they would send the email to the second or third tier waitlisters? To try to cut the list from the bottom up.

I wish there was a way to find that out. I guess we'll wait and see if those who get accepted from now onwards have received this e-mail or not.

fwiw, i've already withdrawn from the waitlist and recieved the email this morning *shrug

Just got the email. I guess I'm not at the top of the list after all :rolleyes:. Good luck to all of us still waiting. There's a long time between now and orientation.:thumbup:

I still didn't get the e-mail. But, I'm on the In-State waiting list...not sure if that makes a difference. Either way, I don't think it means good news or bad news. I think its probably pretty chaotic over in admissions. Good luck to everyone...think happy thoughts!

I wouldn't read TOO much into the email. I view it more as a AAMC policy compliance issue. Obviously, we'd all rather be getting an email with an acceptance offer, but since some of us are on the wait list, our job is to WAIT.

Stay positive. Don't get too stressed out. Focus on continuous improvement.

We just need to keep doing what we've been doing to get to this point!

I did send in letters, I think 3 and I called every other week. They are very receptive to interest! Good luck guys. I think I will be going here! Hope to see you next fall

I did send in letters, I think 3 and I called every other week. They are very receptive to interest! Good luck guys. I think I will be going here! Hope to see you next fall

I know a lot of people who got in not only sent letters, also called the admissions office. I kind of feel funny calling though. what did you inquire about? and which number did you call? (the general number or the deans directly)? did you simply say you'd like to express your interest? thanks a lot!

I know a lot of people who got in not only sent letters, also called the admissions office. I kind of feel funny calling though. what did you inquire about? and which number did you call? (the general number or the deans directly)? did you simply say you'd like to express your interest? thanks a lot!

I called the general number about a month ago and it was awkward. I said I wanted to reaffirm my interest in the school and listed a couple reasons I was impressed. I think it sounded like choreographed begging. I'm sticking to letters from now on.

When I called, I told them that I am still interested and if there is anything else I can do to improve my chances. It was less than a minute phone call!

Anymore acceptances post May 15th date yet?
I've been a fan of SDN for years and have followed this page for quite sometime. This is my first post. I was accepted into the class of 2014! My road has been quite long. There are no words to describe the incredible joy and relief that I feel.

All of you on the waitlist, hang in there! And keep pushing. If it's not in your cards this year, make the most of your summer, and reapply. You'll realize that you learned a lot from your first application cycle.

And to answer some previous questions, I was waitlisted in December. I wrote a letter of intent, and emailed three updates following my interview. I wrote another email of intent two weeks ago, but I made this one a little more personal and passionate than my other letters.

Good luck!

I interviewed the beginning of December, and was wait listed almost right away. I wrote 5 letters, including a letter of intent (the first one), and called a couple times just to ask if there was anything else I could do. For those of you who were at the Second Look day, I think to UVM it's all about the 'fire in the belly' - they want you to want them. I was accepted on April 28th, and nearly fell out of my chair when I got the acceptance email. I had been accepted elsewhere including a very highly rated school, but I love Vermont, love love LOVE Burlington, and am completely enamored with everything at UVM COM. Just an FYI - every letter I wrote was on a different subject of why I wanted to attend UVM COM and was at least 2/3 page single spaced (about 5 paragraphs)!:D

What makes me feel warm and fuzziest of all is that I was holding on to a position at another school, and every time I got on SDN I would read that school's thread and feel so bad for all the people on the waitlist. So now I am extremely pleased to have given my spot to somebody at that school who genuinely wanted it. :)

Congratulations to you both! I hope the rest of us hear some good news. I really loved everything about UVM. Hey Corn, you didn't mention when you got in, was it after March 15th?

Hey guys
just got accepted!
interviewed on 1/5, WL around 2/10

Congrats Welker!!!!!!!!!!!

Your acceptance negates my theory about the email update. Everyone got the email, despite where they are on the wl.

Again, congratulations!!!

hey guys. don't post much, but i figure i give some hope for pple out there.

i got in yesterday afternoon. i interviewed on 3/16. got the WL email on 5/17 and got off of it on 5/19. keep ur head up and send a letter of intent, which i think really helped me get in.

GL and looking forward to meeting everyone in the 2014 class!!!

congrats to all yall who just got off the waitlist

hey guys. don't post much, but i figure i give some hope for pple out there.

i got in yesterday afternoon. i interviewed on 3/16. got the WL email on 5/17 and got off of it on 5/19. keep ur head up and send a letter of intent, which i think really helped me get in.

GL and looking forward to meeting everyone in the 2014 class!!!

Congrats on the acceptance!

Hopefully I'll be next!!!

Haha, and then there was just me, niner, LittleBun, nmb, and brooksie left. $5says one of us gets in by the end of this month.

Haha, and then there was just me, niner, LittleBun, nmb, and brooksie left. $5says one of us gets in by the end of this month.

I really hope so! :) Oh, and you forgot FootDrop! I'm getting really anxious with the waiting.

The suspense is killing me. I think I am getting an ulcer, haha. I am refreshing my email account every 5 minutes! We just need to think happy thoughts?!

I knew I shouldn't have started naming names. :(

Corrected version: *me, niner, LittleBun, nmb, brooksie, PorpoiseMD, FootDrop, and dadocca. And whoever else I forgot. :p

So, $5 says one of the people from the aforementioned list will make it off before June 1st.

I knew I shouldn't have started naming names. :(

Corrected version: *me, niner, LittleBun, nmb, brooksie, PorpoiseMD, FootDrop, and dadocca. And whoever else I forgot. :p

So, $5 says one of the people from the aforementioned list will make it off before June 1st.

Hahaha...I say $5 plus a dinner somewhere in Burlington (NOT at Orchid Buffet).

withdrew acceptance.

hopefully a fellow SDNer gets the spot.:luck:

Hi all,

I have been watching this forum for a while and decided to finally join. I interviewed back in March, was waitlisted in April, and received an update letter about the waitlist a few days ago.

Good luck and I hope that bet comes true for a bunch of us.

Mike

do you guys think that they will pull people off the list tomorrow like they did last week? :rolleyes:

It looks like they skipped a weekend. Hopefully this week!

Second that. I don't think there's been much movement lately. I've been looking at the Facebook group too...and not as many people as I had expected added on.

I don't know if this will make you more neurotic, but if you have time on your hands, take a peek at last year's UVM thread and read what people were posting last year around this time. It's pretty interesting to see history repeat itself.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.