2010-2011 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted on 7/28 and this morning my status has changed to "Your application is complete and has been reviewed by the committee. We will let you know something as soon as we are able."

Wondering if that's a sign of rejection ...

This has been my status for about a week.
 
Mine is "has been reviewed" also. I might be wrong, but I don't think Baylor has notified anyone of rejections yet. This is probably a "maybe + rereview later on" pile, or a "rejected" pile.

Or, this could be a good thing & maybe I am feeling pessimistic. We will wait and see...
 
Mine is "has been reviewed" also. I might be wrong, but I don't think Baylor has notified anyone of rejections yet. This is probably a "maybe + rereview later on" pile, or a "rejected" pile.

Or, this could be a good thing & maybe I am feeling pessimistic. We will wait and see...

youre right it could go either way, since we dont know what they put on rejected people's status.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
youre right it could go either way, since we dont know what they put on rejected people's status.

I'd try to be optimisic, especially if your status is the same as Cole's. Being in-state with a 4.0/41 and all, that'd make me feel good to have that status.... hehe
 
my status was not marked complete and under review til yesterday evening, since there was an issue with my PayPal payment, and this morning it said that it had been reviewed. hm so a very very quick review for me makes me wonder...
 
I'd try to be optimisic, especially if your status is the same as Cole's. Being in-state with a 4.0/41 and all, that'd make me feel good to have that status.... hehe

Lol. 🙄

I wouldn't put too much stock in the wording of the status bros. If it's been that way for several weeks and you haven't heard anything, then maybe I'd be worried. I'm guessing they release interview invites in batches and our decisions will come in the next batch.
 
Thanks to all of your replies. Yes I'd jump high if my status is same as Cole's. But Cole, are you sure about that? Your last post on 8/6 had your status as "being reviewed". Did yours also change to "has been reviewed"?
 
My status has also been reviewed. Seems like many of us are in the same boat. Hopefully we'll be getting interview invitations soon. I'll try not to obsessively check my email in the meantime....ha, yeah right. 😀
 
I wonder what is on the status of people invited to interview. Anyone who has been invited care to chime in?
 
I wonder what is on the status of people invited to interview. Anyone who has been invited care to chime in?

Ive been invited, just checked my status and it says...

"The web site you are accessing has experienced an unexpected error.
Please contact the website administrator."

WHOOPS!
 
LOL, I got home today and found a big envelope from Baylor. Nothing other than a brochure in it, not even a letter or note. Wonder why Baylor would do that after having a complete application from me.
 
After reading the brochure, I now have a serious question about Baylor. How does it manage to charge only half the national average tuition, while offering the best quality of education? Houston is not a cheap city either. Shall I understand this as that most other schools overcharge tuition?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
After reading the brochure, I now have a serious question about Baylor. How does it manage to charge only half the national average tuition, while offering the best quality of education? Houston is not a cheap city either. Shall I understand this as that most other schools overcharge tuition?

Great way to earn brownie points at interviews. It will shock them for a moment as they think "Someone actually care enough to read that stuff?!?!" ACCEPT!!! 🙂
 
After reading the brochure, I now have a serious question about Baylor. How does it manage to charge only half the national average tuition, while offering the best quality of education? Houston is not a cheap city either. Shall I understand this as that most other schools overcharge tuition?


Who knows from what kind of places they get funding from. It is apparently inexplicably cheap though.

While Houston might not be the cheapest city to live in, I think it is pretty cheap to live in relative to other big cities.
 
After reading the brochure, I now have a serious question about Baylor. How does it manage to charge only half the national average tuition, while offering the best quality of education? Houston is not a cheap city either. Shall I understand this as that most other schools overcharge tuition?

I asked the same question during the health career fair held at my school. A student from BCM told me that they get SOME money from the TX govt (Not sure how much) which is why they show strong preference for TX residents even though it's a private school.
 
Hey everyone. I am a BCM student and wanted to clarify the cheaper tuition. In my opinion, it has nothing to do with financial troubles because tuition from students has a minimal effect on a huge budget like Baylors.. Further, they accept a large percentage of Texas residents (70% but don't quote me) and I believe this qualifies them for a larger amount of state funding. Also, do not start stressing now, its EARLY!!!
 
Mine is "has been reviewed" also. I might be wrong, but I don't think Baylor has notified anyone of rejections yet. This is probably a "maybe + rereview later on" pile, or a "rejected" pile.

Or, this could be a good thing & maybe I am feeling pessimistic. We will wait and see...

it seems like a lot of people are wondering what the "has been reviewed" status means. I stalked last year's Baylor thread and found out some useful information: The way Baylor does it (or at least how they did it last year) is that they give your application a certain score based on all of the stuff you have in there (stats, ECs, PS, etc) and then put everyone who has been reviewed on a running list of everyone who's been reviewed. Then whenever it's time to give out new interview invites (~every two weeks-ish), they'll just pull the top ~50 scores off that list and offer them interviews. So everyone will get the "has been reviewed" status after they have been given this score and then people will continue to be pulled off of the list and given interviews throughout the season. Some people had the "has been reviewed" status for months before being given an interview, and others never got an interview. They do not outright reject people.
 
it seems like a lot of people are wondering what the "has been reviewed" status means. I stalked last year's Baylor thread and found out some useful information: The way Baylor does it (or at least how they did it last year) is that they give your application a certain score based on all of the stuff you have in there (stats, ECs, PS, etc) and then put everyone who has been reviewed on a running list of everyone who's been reviewed. Then whenever it's time to give out new interview invites (~every two weeks-ish), they'll just pull the top ~50 scores off that list and offer them interviews. So everyone will get the "has been reviewed" status after they have been given this score and then people will continue to be pulled off of the list and given interviews throughout the season. Some people had the "has been reviewed" status for months before being given an interview, and others never got an interview. They do not outright reject people.


ah, super useful/enlightening info. thanks! 😀
 
I stalked last year's Baylor thread and found out some useful information

Why didnt I think of this? Last year school threads arent up for nothing! Now I know where to look when in doubt.
I would hate to be in the last batch of interviews though- Youll know what they really think of you, which is "y'all barely made it!". Nevertheless, I would hate it less than being completely overlooked, of course.
 
Same here--Sept. 10th, but I'll have to reschedule as well. As of yesterday, I already had two interviews scheduled for Friday, September 10th 😱
 
Baylor has been one of my top preferences... but I keep hearing about the recent financial troubles they're having. Can someone (preferrably a current student at BCM) shed some light on what they know about the whole Baylor being in debt scenario?
Can it possibly jeopardize the medical school education?
 
Doubt it will impact your education. I think the financial problems will most likely impact the hospital they are trying to build, which has already been postponed.
 
Baylor College of Medicine interviews from September through February.
You are eligible for interview consideration through February.

Anyone getting this?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Baylor College of Medicine interviews from September through February.
You are eligible for interview consideration through February.

Anyone getting this?

Yea I got that too. I wonder if that means you will get an interview, and the date just has to be set, anytime from now to February. Or maybe that you just got through a preliminary screen, and you still might or might not get an interview.

We shall see.
 
I had that status from july until feb of last year. Just means they won't reject you until February.
 
I had that status from july until feb of last year. Just means they won't reject you until February.

Yea, really? Well that sucks....what a way to reject you-loads of false hope for 6 whole months.

Thanks for the input.
 
Baylor College of Medicine interviews from September through February.
You are eligible for interview consideration through February.

Anyone getting this?

Mine reads the same, but couldn't that just mean you're on the ranked list from which they draw people for interviews? If they have the points system people say they do then that status just means you've been scored and now you wait to see if your score is high enough to garner an invite. Don't give up hope!
 
Baylor College of Medicine interviews from September through February.
You are eligible for interview consideration through February.

Anyone getting this?


I had that last year. I'm a Baylor MS-1 now. You're on the list somewhere. Try to remain patient, I know it's difficult.

The tuition has nothing to do with Baylor's financial troubles. It's a huge institution that has a lot more going on than the medical school. I'm not an economist or anything, but basically it was the building of a new hospital coupled with a downturn in the banking industry/overall economy that caused all this. New CEO/President is coming Sept. 1, and there is already quite a bit of buzz about this guy. Bottom line is that Baylor is still an outstanding place to get a medical education.
 
it seems like a lot of people are wondering what the "has been reviewed" status means. I stalked last year's Baylor thread and found out some useful information: The way Baylor does it (or at least how they did it last year) is that they give your application a certain score based on all of the stuff you have in there (stats, ECs, PS, etc) and then put everyone who has been reviewed on a running list of everyone who's been reviewed. Then whenever it's time to give out new interview invites (~every two weeks-ish), they'll just pull the top ~50 scores off that list and offer them interviews. So everyone will get the "has been reviewed" status after they have been given this score and then people will continue to be pulled off of the list and given interviews throughout the season. Some people had the "has been reviewed" status for months before being given an interview, and others never got an interview. They do not outright reject people.
Those words seem familiar 😉

But yes, to everyone stressing out about their status, that's what the "has been reviewed status means.
After reading the brochure, I now have a serious question about Baylor. How does it manage to charge only half the national average tuition, while offering the best quality of education? Houston is not a cheap city either. Shall I understand this as that most other schools overcharge tuition?

It's fairly well known that Baylor is having financial troubles. Perhaps these two issues are related.

Baylor has been one of my top preferences... but I keep hearing about the recent financial troubles they're having. Can someone (preferrably a current student at BCM) shed some light on what they know about the whole Baylor being in debt scenario?
Can it possibly jeopardize the medical school education?
Hey everyone. I am a BCM student and wanted to clarify the cheaper tuition. In my opinion, it has nothing to do with financial troubles because tuition from students has a minimal effect on a huge budget like Baylors.. Further, they accept a large percentage of Texas residents (70% but don't quote me) and I believe this qualifies them for a larger amount of state funding. Also, do not start stressing now, its EARLY!!!
Regarding the cheapness of tuition, basically everything rusrulz says is correct--we accept some state funding, and in return we give 70/30 preference to in-state students. Texas medical schools are easily some of the cheapest places to go in the country, and Baylor is no exception.

The details of Baylor's financial situation has been rehashed many, many times already, and I've already thrown my two cents in about it, and I'd rather not re-type everything all over again. But essentially, trying to build the BCM hospital at that specific time because they couldn't have known that the economy was about to go in the toilet. However, since then Baylor has implemented various cost-saving measures and apparently the finances look a lot better now. Not that it really matters, because medical students don't really have to balance the budget, and it's not like Baylor is in danger of going bankrupt.

If you really want to read my full spiel on Baylor's outlook, take a look at last year's application thread and the Baylor vs. UTSW thread in last year's school specific discussions forum. But again, I really think that the issue is overblown, at least in terms of how it affects students.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
While Houston might not be the cheapest city to live in, I think it is pretty cheap to live in relative to other big cities.

where do you live now that you think Houston doesn't have a low COL?
 
Concerning tuition, as an OOS student, would I be able to qualify for IS tuition as a Second Year student?

Ohio State has a policy like the one I described. Thanks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.