2010-2011 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just to clarify, Texas does not have state income tax. Yet another reason Texas is the best country on earth...:laugh:

I know of at least a couple of classmates who are doing option #1 above. As jturkel eluded to, there's a specific person at Baylor who deals with residency stuff.

you will notice this fact reflected in the public services here in houston.
 
Hello everyone. So, my application to BCM was complete (AMCAS, LORs, MCAT, and secondary) like in early July. And my status said that my file had been reviewed by the committee. But my AMCAS also says that I planned to take the MCAT on July 29th. My GPA is 3.67 and my highest MCAT when I submitted was 28. However, I got my MCAT score back a few days ago, and it was a 34. Will the committee reevaluate my application with the new score? I'd really like to get an interview here...
 
Hello everyone. So, my application to BCM was complete (AMCAS, LORs, MCAT, and secondary) like in early July. And my status said that my file had been reviewed by the committee. But my AMCAS also says that I planned to take the MCAT on July 29th. My GPA is 3.67 and my highest MCAT when I submitted was 28. However, I got my MCAT score back a few days ago, and it was a 34. Will the committee reevaluate my application with the new score? I'd really like to get an interview here...

They should. But it couldn't hurt to send an update letter to the admissions office to make sure they take note; I felt like they read my update letter during my application season.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They should. But it couldn't hurt to send an update letter to the admissions office to make sure they take note; I felt like they read my update letter during my application season.

sweet. well that makes sense. i guess i have a lot of schools to send update letters to. thanks.
 
interview invite today! Complete on 8/4. However, my interview is for Oct 1 and I have another interview that day, so I'll have to reschedule. Anyone know how easy it is to reschedule at Baylor?
 
Would anyone who got an interview tell me their basic stats? Hoping to get an interview here, so many amazing things about this school! 🙂 Congrats to all with interviews and good luck to all that are waiting! 🙂 🙂
 
Got interview invite today! Verified on 8/19, Interview invite on 9/7 at 5 pm. Check your emails late people! Also, I have an interview at Vanderbilt the day before. Sooo much traveling! I'm kind of freaked out by the cost of it all.
 
Got interview invite today! Verified on 8/19, Interview invite on 9/7 at 5 pm. Check your emails late people! Also, I have an interview at Vanderbilt the day before. Sooo much traveling! I'm kind of freaked out by the cost of it all.

+1 on today's interview invite. 32, 3.50, OOS

Proof there is hope for all of us who may not think our numbers stack up.
 
Congrats on the interviews guys! Baylor does a really great job at putting on a good interview day with a bunch of enthusiastic tour guides. Interview itself is stress free and informal. Good luck! :luck:
 
Congrats on the invites guys/gals!

Glad that you enjoyed the interview day Coug!

We do try to make the day enjoyable and laid back. For people interviewing this week, you should know that us MS-1s have our Block 1 exams next week. We may be a bit thin in numbers, especially at the social. It's quite possible some of us will look every bit as stressed as you!
 
+1 on today's interview invite. 32, 3.50, OOS

Proof there is hope for all of us who may not think our numbers stack up.

Thanks for the hope! I already got rejected by Vanderbilt so no hope on that one anymore.... if you don't mind do you have some stand out ECs?? Congrats!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Could anybody help me out on this? I need to find a hotel which is within the walking distance to BCM (where the interview will take place.) Thanks in advance.
 
I interviewed last year and stayed with a student host. I highly recommend it! They were super nice, gave me great advice, and showed me what student life is like there.
 
Could anybody help me out on this? I need to find a hotel which is within the walking distance to BCM (where the interview will take place.) Thanks in advance.

As Driftkitty said, staying with a student host is ideal.

If you need/want a hotel, there are several in the med center area. A couple are within walking distance. There are several that are a little farther from BCM that offer a free shuttle. Last year, the office of admissions sent out an email to interviewees with a list of nearby hotels. Look for that in your inbox, and start your search there. Good luck!
 
I stayed at the Marriott. Was expensive compared to a host, but the shuttle was easy and hassle-free.

And, the interview program here was awesome. Great food, great people, and really felt welcome.

After coming here for the interview, this is definitely my number one choice because TMC is incredible, the curriculum set-up seems ideal and the opportunities here are amazing. Seems kind of like a well kept secret to me...

Here's to hurrying up and waiting! But fingers crossed now. Anyone else interviewing here, it'll be fun. Definitely go to the get together after if you can.
 
I stayed at the Marriott. Was expensive compared to a host, but the shuttle was easy and hassle-free.

And, the interview program here was awesome. Great food, great people, and really felt welcome.

After coming here for the interview, this is definitely my number one choice because TMC is incredible, the curriculum set-up seems ideal and the opportunities here are amazing. Seems kind of like a well kept secret to me...

Here's to hurrying up and waiting! But fingers crossed now. Anyone else interviewing here, it'll be fun. Definitely go to the get together after if you can.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the day! Good luck with the waiting game that will now commence.
 
Do ya'll think it's good to send a letter of interest/intent after the interview. I really don't know how the letter thing works (especially if there aren't any real updates to your app), and I know Baylor does the rolling rank system so I didn't know if it mattered. Thanks!
 
Do ya'll think it's good to send a letter of interest/intent after the interview. I really don't know how the letter thing works (especially if there aren't any real updates to your app), and I know Baylor does the rolling rank system so I didn't know if it mattered. Thanks!

It seems a bit early considering you don't have a decision yet, but I don't see how it could hurt.
 
Do ya'll think it's good to send a letter of interest/intent after the interview. I really don't know how the letter thing works (especially if there aren't any real updates to your app), and I know Baylor does the rolling rank system so I didn't know if it mattered. Thanks!

so here is what i did.....

i sent an email to my interviewers thanking them for their time. i let them know what i liked about the school and why i thought baylor was a good fit for me. i did this about a week after the interview, and reminded them who i was. for what it's worth, i actually maintained contact with one of my interviewers throughout the rest of the cycle, updating him on my status or interest in BCM.

then about a month or two later, i sent in a letter of interest to the admissions committee (i think you can just sent it to [email protected] and ask it to be forwarded to the dean)....stating something similar in the email to my interviewers but much more in depth.

IMO, it is WAY too soon for a letter of intent. i think it'll seem a bit desperate at this point. i would say wait at least a month or two and maybe wait for a couple interviews.

hope that helps! 🙂
 
Cool, thanks. I just looked at the difference between letter of interest and intent. Lol, it would seem desperate to send an intent letter right now. :laugh:
 
In my opinion, letters of interest/intent are mostly to help the applicant feel better. The only thing that might make a difference is if something about your application has changed significantly (i.e. you got published or completed XX hours shadowing when you had none/little before, etc.).

The committee votes the day of the interview, which places you on the rank-order list. Anything you do after that day is probably exceptionally low-yield. It may make you feel like you did everything in your power to get in--doing it for that reason alone is just fine.

I initiated absolutely zero post-interview contact with any school, Baylor included. I got in pretty early in the cycle.
 
hey guys,

I'm glad to hear some of you enjoyed the tours a few days ago. I was one of the tour guides and it is nice to hear the feedback. I look forward to meeting/seeing more of you at future tours and telling you about how awesome I think BCM is. best of luck.
 
For what it's worth, I sent an update letter/letter of interest the Monday after my interview, and was accepted a month later. But as others have said, plenty of people get in with no contact, and the interviewers do make their recommendations that evening right after your interview, so who knows if it actually helps or not? Of course, if you don't send anything and then don't get in, and you're the kind of person who will always wonder if there was something more you could have done... I guess you could do it for your own peace of mind.

Of course, I think any letter will be stronger if you actually have anything to update the school on, not just, "omg i luv u i hope u luv me 2!" 😉

In my opinion, letters of interest/intent are mostly to help the applicant feel better. The only thing that might make a difference is if something about your application has changed significantly (i.e. you got published or completed XX hours shadowing when you had none/little before, etc.).

The committee votes the day of the interview, which places you on the rank-order list. Anything you do after that day is probably exceptionally low-yield. It may make you feel like you did everything in your power to get in--doing it for that reason alone is just fine.

I initiated absolutely zero post-interview contact with any school, Baylor included. I got in pretty early in the cycle.
Oh god, the first years are already using that term?! I can't tell you how much I hate the words high-yield and low-yield after a year :laugh:
 
I don't sem how a letter of intent seems desperate if you actually mean it. If you mean it now before you start hearing from other schools, that makes it seem less desperate to me personally because you're saying it's your top choice without hearing about rejections and/or acceptances. But who knows. I'm not on an admissions committee, haha.

I doubt any of it really makes a difference anyway, other than for making you feel like you've done everything you can.
 
I have already "been reviewed" but my attending at my recent position at Memorial Sloan Kettering offered to write a recommendation about my research there. If I add this to amcas will this be looked at? Overall, will most schools review this if I add a letter this late into the cycle and my file was originally complete at most schools early August? Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have already "been reviewed" but my attending at my recent position at Memorial Sloan Kettering offered to write a recommendation about my research there. If I add this to amcas will this be looked at? Overall, will most schools review this if I add a letter this late into the cycle and my file was originally complete at most schools early August? Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!

i would suggest adding it to amcas. you would then i think just push the submit button again, and your letter should/will be forwarded to your electronic files at schools. if you do this, i would also suggest writing an email to the admissions committees informing them that you have added a letter of recommendation to your file and give them the letter name or ID number or something.

....no clue if it is too late to be reviewed, but there is always a chance. worst to worst, the answer is no. FWIW, i added a letter in february of my cycle.
 
True, but not as BOSS as you.

p.s. is that a pic of you underneath your username??

Haha, I think that's the Governator back in his glory days.

Also, are all of you checking your status just by going to the login for the secondary app, or are you checking it somewhere else? Because when i log in to that, it just says "Your application has already been submitted on (date)" 😕

OK! Nevermind! I found there is a separate application status page. For those of you who are interested, it is: https://www.bcm.edu/as/admis_web/ms_app/status/login/login.cfm

Just use your AAMC ID and the password you used for the Baylor application. Good luck, everybody!!! 🙂
 
Just got an interview invite from Baylor. 👍
Everything was sent in on 8/9
I've heard really great things about Baylor so I'm pumped for this interview.
 
Hey guys, I guess this is just a general question that's been on my mind: Is there any real advantage to interview at medical schools before "October 15th"? -- I saw this date mentioned in this thread earlier. Like what about even interviewing ON October 15th? Would that somehow give me a slight upper edge than an interview on, say, October 22nd?

Thanks in advance.
 
Hey guys, I guess this is just a general question that's been on my mind: Is there any real advantage to interview at medical schools before "October 15th"? -- I saw this date mentioned in this thread earlier. Like what about even interviewing ON October 15th? Would that somehow give me a slight upper edge than an interview on, say, October 22nd?

Thanks in advance.

The only thing about Oct 15th is it's the first day schools can officially send out acceptances. The only advantage is knowing sooner (since Baylor does that rolling ranking thing).
 
MD-PhD invite!! i definitely wasn't expecting any more exciting email at 5pm when they sent it-- what a nice surprise as I got out of lab! It seems like everyone has really enjoyed their visits, so I'm getting pretty excited!
 
Greetings all,

Would anyone who still has the brochure that Baylor mailed out mind posting the statistics they printed in there on the number of those applied/interviewed/accepted for the incoming class this year? If I remember correctly, Baylor interviewed a relatively low number of applicants and accepted a relatively high number of those interviewed. If this is indeed the case, would any current students mind lending their insight as to whether this is specific to only this year, or if it is typical historically? Thank you very much.
 
Greetings all,

Would anyone who still has the brochure that Baylor mailed out mind posting the statistics they printed in there on the number of those applied/interviewed/accepted for the incoming class this year? If I remember correctly, Baylor interviewed a relatively low number of applicants and accepted a relatively high number of those interviewed. If this is indeed the case, would any current students mind lending their insight as to whether this is specific to only this year, or if it is typical historically? Thank you very much.

Here's the #s from the brochure (2009 Entering Class)
Number of Applicants: 4,588
Number of applicants interviewed: 717
Class Size: 186

Number Accepted is not provided.
 
I found it funny that they sent the brochure...I almost wanted to send them one back of all my amazing stats that perhaps the application doesn't highlight!! JK! 🙂 But they are the only school to have sent one, so that, in a way, is a plus for them (not that I need convincing!)
 
I think they told us that they end up accepting around ~300 applicants to fill ~190 seats.
 
So...here's my story.
My app was transmitted by the end of June, secondary submitted mid-late July.

I got a payment receipt from them so I thought I was good to go. Then they emailed me TODAY telling me that my secondary was not properly submitted and have to re-submit it.
I didn't have to pay for it again, but now I'm just really behind. Am I screwed? 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So...here's my story.
My app was transmitted by the end of June, secondary submitted mid-late July.

I got a payment receipt from them so I thought I was good to go. Then they emailed me TODAY telling me that my secondary was not properly submitted and have to re-submit it.
I didn't have to pay for it again, but now I'm just really behind. Am I screwed? 🙁

Did they say what was wrong with it? I don't think you're "screwed", I am sure your stats are great, so no worries! 🙂
 
Hey ColeOnTheRoll,

I will be there! 😀

I'm also interviewing for the MSTP, so my schedule will be quite packed. Perhaps I shall run into you at BCM. 🙂
 
Your application is complete and has been reviewed by the committee.
We will let you know something as soon as we are able.

Does anyone else have this message on their status page? Should I contact the school?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.