2010-2011 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your application is complete and has been reviewed by the committee.
We will let you know something as soon as we are able.

Does anyone else have this message on their status page? Should I contact the school?

I wouldn't. I had that status for a week or two and ended up being invited for an interview with no action on my part.
 
That's my status too. Why would you contact the school? It pretty clearly says that they have looked over your application and have not yet made a decision, or at least not yet decided to interview you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your application is complete and has been reviewed by the committee.
We will let you know something as soon as we are able.

Does anyone else have this message on their status page? Should I contact the school?

Yes. I have had this message for over two weeks now. The wait was kind of exciting at first but now it is testing my patience 🙄

My stats are 35Q MCAT, Masters in Biomedical, foreign undergrad, taking classes at HCC to complete 90hrs US undergrad classes, 2 yrs experience working with medical devices. I have applied to the MD-PhD program.

Keeping fingers crossed!
 
Look earlier in the thread to see where I (and maybe some other of my classmates) explained that status. Basically, it means nothing except what it says: you've been reviewed, and you may or may not receive an interview. Unfortunately there really is no deeper meaning that you can divine than just that.
 
Your application is complete and has been reviewed by the committee.
We will let you know something as soon as we are able.

Does anyone else have this message on their status page? Should I contact the school?
Are you talking about when you log in for the secondary?

mine says:
Your application has already been submitted on 07-22-2010.
No changes are allowed after you submit.
Please email the Admissions office if you need to correct this supplemental application.
 
Are you talking about when you log in for the secondary?

mine says:
Your application has already been submitted on 07-22-2010.
No changes are allowed after you submit.
Please email the Admissions office if you need to correct this supplemental application.

I think you're on the secondary application page. There is a separate page to check the status of your file. Iirc, it's on the same page as the link for the secondary. Just scroll down the page.
 
I interviewed here a few days ago and one of the student tour guides mentioned that Baylor's new hospital will be the first in the world to practice personalized medicine. We had been learning a little about this in my genetics class and I thought it was just about the coolest thing ever.

It really does seem like Baylor is turning itself around. The only thing that gives me pause about this school- and I do mean only- is that its financial troubles + drop in rankings could lead to a decline in the perceived value of a Baylor education, but it seems that given a little more time, and what will hopefully be a sucessful experiment in pharmacogenomics translated to patient care, this perceived value will be as high as ever
 
I interviewed here a few days ago and one of the student tour guides mentioned that Baylor's new hospital will be the first in the world to practice personalized medicine. We had been learning a little about this in my genetics class and I thought it was just about the coolest thing ever.

It really does seem like Baylor is turning itself around. The only thing that gives me pause about this school- and I do mean only- is that its financial troubles + drop in rankings could lead to a decline in the perceived value of a Baylor education, but it seems that given a little more time, and what will hopefully be a sucessful experiment in pharmacogenomics translated to patient care, this perceived value will be as high as ever

lots of people have mentioned this....and most actually connect the two, assuming that it is the financial troubles that have led to the drop in the rankings, which couldn't be further from the truth.

and interestingly enough, while BCM has indeed dropped in the rankings on US World News or whatever that is called, their residency director score has actually increased, suggesting that students from BCM are actually being viewed as even more competitive/qualified for residency than in previous rankings.

FWIW, when i went to college and from doctors i've shadowed in other states at other top schools (like Pritzker), i've been told that i would be "ill" if i chose another school over BCM....and i'm glad i didn't!

btw, GL to anyone interviewing tomorrow! i'm planning on going to the bar event afterwards to meet any of you going and answer any questions!
 
Hey everyone,

Since I used SDN last year for advice, I thought I should share my two cents to give back 😀! I'm a first year at BCM and I LOVE it here. The people are really friendly and the professors are amazing. You really feel like you are joining a family when you come to Baylor.

So why did I choose BCM? I'll make it as brief as possible 😉 (note this is in NO particular order)

1. The people – I felt like I was joining a "family" (I LOVED THIS). All of my classmates share their learning objectives-we all help each other out (it's pass/fail after all!) They really really care about you here! When we had out first block exam, they put snacks in our common area...something small (and you may thing dumb), but it's all those small details that make BCM a wonderful institution!

2. Classes from 8-12 (this includes lab!!!) – I need time to actively digest the material on my own!! They really encourage active learning vs. passive learning!

3. Pass/Fail – Focus has shifted from making an "A" to learning the material.

4. The Texas Medical Center – World's largest medical center, enough said!

5. 18-month curriculum – This allows more time spent in the TMC (see above!)

6. Personalized – I get more freedom to choose when and what I do, unlike the "cookie cutter" feeling at other medical schools. They also have specialized tracks (geriatrics care, care of the underserved, global health, ethics, etc.) and AMAZING electives like Art of the Human Body!! You also get personalized attention here--you get assigned to an M.D. mentor who will stay with for all four years at Baylor.

7. Houston – Has a good vibe and is really, really affordable.

8. Reputation and Board Scores – Everyone knows BCM is one of the best medical schools in the country and the board scores prove it. Our USMLE Step 1 average is a 241!!!!! This is amazing/ridiculous at the same :laugh:

9. Hospital affiliations: Texas Children's (#5 in peds), the Menninger Clinic (#5 in psych), Ben Taub General Hospital, the Houston VA, St. Luke's (#4 in cardio), and although not strictly affiliated you can still do rotations through Methodist (an amazing hospital ranked in like 15 different specialties) and MD Anderson (#1 in cancer)

10. Research - Baylor is at the forefront of research, they net about $300 million a year!

11. SOOOOOOOOO CHEAP!! Even for out-of-state ppl, BCM is amazingly affordable. Baylor is the MOST affordable private medical school in the US.

12. Baylor Alumni are everywhere and are very well connected...they have reunions all over the country!

Professors really go out of their way to make sure you understand difficult concepts! And these very professors are known around the world!! One of our professors discovered the kinetochore!! Another one of our professors (Dr. Potocki), discovered a rare genetic syndrome, aptly named the Potocki-Lupski syndrome. True you will learn pretty much the same material at all medical schools, but when you have teachers who have actually discovered what you're learning about, it adds a whole new dimension/depth to the story! I am amazed and inspired everyday at Baylor.

What about the drop in rankings?
I really don't think rankings matter all the much! Why? Because I personally think they are biased AND I would say that whether Baylor was number one, two, twenty, or fifty! Look no further than Mayo Medical School, an excellent institution in its own right...they aren't even ranked, but this is by choice! The administration at Mayo felt that the ranking system was flawed and have recently pulled their name out. I can't remember the exact details, but I know there is a peer-reviewed article that also implies the same thing, namely that rankings really don't capture the true essence of a school. (If you are wondering about the hospital rankings I quoted above, realize that they are a completely different ball-game and after researching the methodology, I feel that they are appropriate.)

That being said it's perfectly normal to question the drop. We all know about the debt situation and split with Methodist, but that is old news and Baylor is headed in the right direction. BCM's new president, Dr. Klotman, has been busy fixing what needs to be fixed. He actually just got $15 million from the Board of Trustees to recruit top-notch faculty/researchers. So what's my point? Things are looking up for Baylor and I wouldn't let a minor slip in rankings effect my decision! If rankings are a big deal to you, I'm 100% sure Baylor will be back up there!

Best of luck in the application process! I don't really check SDN that often anymore, so if I fail to respond to any questions, that's why! Boy that was one long message...hope it helped!
 
Last edited:
^ Thanks for your post. It is very helpful.

We heard about how BCM selects the applicants for invites. But how does BCM select the students for acceptance after interview? How often will it issue the acceptance letters (by email?) for its MD-only in-state applicants? Every two weeks after Oct. 15? Are the acceptance criteria solely based on ECs and interview results and stats are not relevant anymore after being selected for interview? There are two interview sessions. Are they equally weighted or you need to do great on both in order to get accepted? It appears that only one of the interviewers is a professor. Is the evaluation result from the professor interviewer more important than the other just because he is more senior?

Thanks!
 
^ Thanks for your post. It is very helpful.

We heard about how BCM selects the applicants for invites. But how does BCM select the students for acceptance after interview? How often will it issue the acceptance letters (by email?) for its MD-only in-state applicants? Every two weeks after Oct. 15? Are the acceptance criteria solely based on ECs and interview results and stats are not relevant anymore after being selected for interview? There are two interview sessions. Are they equally weighted or you need to do great on both in order to get accepted? It appears that only one of the interviewers is a professor. Is the evaluation result from the professor interviewer more important than the other just because he is more senior?

Thanks!

Acceptances do not come out on a set schedule. They give them out in a trickle & flood fashion. The typical method of acceptance is that the Dean of Medical Education (Dr. Greenberg) calls you. Then you get a snail mail acceptance letter.

I can't tell you for sure how much they look at your whole file when deciding your rank on the list of interviewed people. I believe the interview is quite important in that decision though.

Both interviews are equally weighted. BCM is one of the places where student interviewers have an EQUAL vote on the admission committee. Just another demonstration of how student-centered the approach is here at BCM.
 
^ Thanks for your post. It is very helpful.

We heard about how BCM selects the applicants for invites. But how does BCM select the students for acceptance after interview? How often will it issue the acceptance letters (by email?) for its MD-only in-state applicants? Every two weeks after Oct. 15? Are the acceptance criteria solely based on ECs and interview results and stats are not relevant anymore after being selected for interview? There are two interview sessions. Are they equally weighted or you need to do great on both in order to get accepted? It appears that only one of the interviewers is a professor. Is the evaluation result from the professor interviewer more important than the other just because he is more senior?

Thanks!
May I ask how they decide who to interview? I'm dying for an interview here 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I learned a while ago that BCM would rank all of their applicants on a bi-weekly ibasis as the applications come in. Each application is assigned a score after the application is evaluated. All the applications are put into a pile and are ranked according to their scores every two weeks. They then select the top N scorers and give them the invites.

The problem is we do not know how they assign the score. But it appears they do not have the "auto-invite" based solely on the GPA and MCAT cutoff like some of other schools do.
 
BCM evaluates every part of the application prior to sending out interview invites, so it's not just a automated screening based off a GPA/MCAT cutoff. I'd imagine this is a lot more work for the adcom members who are responsible for undertaking this enormous task, but it contributes to the breadth of the student body. Not only do BCM students demonstrate incredible scholarship, but our students' backgrounds are highly variable and tend to accentuate each other. 🙂

Yes, student members and faculty members have an equal say-so at the committee meeting. Occasionally we get into physical altercations in the board room to support an interviewee. 😉

Some schools interview half the people who apply, but BCM tends to only interview around 15-20% of its applicants. In other words, to have received an interview at BCM is to already be in the 80th percentile of applicants (based on your overall application). Therefore, the interview evaluations are highly centered around your ability communicate rather than your numbers. This isn't to say that once you get an interview your numbers are completely dismissed; however, BCM's intention is to give you multiple chances to shine. If your science GPA isn't too hot, why should you be penalized multiple times (on your application, at your interview, etc.)? Again, interview day is all about communicating how you've gotten to where you are, what your understanding of medicine is, and where you intend to go in the future.

At the end of each interview session, all applicants who interviewed that day are numerically ranked and added to a growing pool of applicants. Starting in mid-October, the deans will start skimming the top of that pool and sending out acceptances. 🙂 Unfortunately, BCM is pretty elusive about notifying applicants about waitlist status.

Best of luck to everyone!
 
Last edited:
Look earlier in the thread to see where I (and maybe some other of my classmates) explained that status. Basically, it means nothing except what it says: you've been reviewed, and you may or may not receive an interview. Unfortunately there really is no deeper meaning that you can divine than just that.

Thanks GoSpursGo. Baylor is my top choice hence the impateience.
 
Random question I realized I never asked about while at Baylor: Do the students get a syllabus that tells them everything they need to know for each course?
 
Random question I realized I never asked about while at Baylor: Do the students get a syllabus that tells them everything they need to know for each course?

Not a syllabus per se. Some profs give us detailed notes that you could say resemble a syllabus for their lecture(s). We get learning objectives for every single lecture. If you can answer the learning objectives, you've learned what you need from that lecture.

Another thing to point out: we don't really have 'courses' in the undergrad sense of the word. You'll have a histology lecture one hour, a genetics lecture the next, and an embryology lecture after that, etc. That's just an example, the daily schedule varies. It's integrated systems-based, so the organ system you're in at the time is the defining subject, rather than a discrete science subject like you're used to in undergrad. I hope that makes sense. It really is a fantastic way to learn medicine, in my opinion.

Additionally, students that have gone before us have put together detailed volumes of notes that get passed down to the entering class. Often, these resemble a condensed syllabus--they help you to figure out what broad topics to study, and if you're on the right track with the level of minutia necessary.

Bottom line, nobody here is trying to trip you up by asking an obscure question from a footnote in a 'recommended' textbook that nobody buys. If it's on an exam, they've told you about it at some point.
 
And to the others waiting to hear--hang in there! There is still PLENTY of time left in our interview season. We go into February!
 
Random question I realized I never asked about while at Baylor: Do the students get a syllabus that tells them everything they need to know for each course?

Not a syllabus per se. Some profs give us detailed notes that you could say resemble a syllabus for their lecture(s). We get learning objectives for every single lecture. If you can answer the learning objectives, you've learned what you need from that lecture.

Another thing to point out: we don't really have 'courses' in the undergrad sense of the word. You'll have a histology lecture one hour, a genetics lecture the next, and an embryology lecture after that, etc. That's just an example, the daily schedule varies. It's integrated systems-based, so the organ system you're in at the time is the defining subject, rather than a discrete science subject like you're used to in undergrad. I hope that makes sense. It really is a fantastic way to learn medicine, in my opinion.

Additionally, students that have gone before us have put together detailed volumes of notes that get passed down to the entering class. Often, these resemble a condensed syllabus--they help you to figure out what broad topics to study, and if you're on the right track with the level of minutia necessary.

Bottom line, nobody here is trying to trip you up by asking an obscure question from a footnote in a 'recommended' textbook that nobody buys. If it's on an exam, they've told you about it at some point.

While canjosh is right for the most part regarding fall MS1 classes (which makes sense 😛 ), it does change a little bit in the spring of MS1 and into fall of MS2. In the spring, you do start taking discrete classes--Head and Neck Anatomy, Pharmacology, Pathology, Immunology together in block 4, Neuro, Infectious Disease, and Psych in blocks 5 and 6, etc. You'll have individual exams for each subject.

Additionally, starting in block 5 you DO actually get a syllabus for some (but not all) courses. In general, these should have ~90-95% of what you need to know for your courses, with a few things being added in class that might not be in the syllabus. In truth, >95% of the test should be covered in class and the syllabus should be supplemental. Fundamentally, canjosh is right--while they'll have a question or two that may ask an obscure detail on an exam to separate the top students from the merely "good" students, they're not going to try and trick you; the lion's share of the test, if it's important enough to be tested, it will be mentioned in class.

Hope that's helpful 🙂
 
Is it true that BCM will give out 50 acceptances only in the second half of October? How many acceptances will be given out in November, December and January?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it true that BCM will give out 50 acceptances only in the second half of October? How many acceptances will be given out in November, December and January?

Based on last year's thread on what BCM students have said is there really isn't a defined number per month or defined number each time they send out acceptances, so I doubt they accept 50 in october. That'd actually be a large number of acceptances to go out for a single month anywhere, as far as I know. I've always heard it's about 10-15 a month most places until March but that could be hearsay as well.
 
Based on last year's thread on what BCM students have said is there really isn't a defined number per month or defined number each time they send out acceptances, so I doubt they accept 50 in october. That'd actually be a large number of acceptances to go out for a single month anywhere, as far as I know. I've always heard it's about 10-15 a month most places until March but that could be hearsay as well.

There's no way to generalize about how the admissions process goes. Every school is going to do it differently. Michigan, for example, is expecting to send out 80-120 (of 370) acceptances on Friday. Every committee/school has a different philosophy of admissions, and their procedures work to advance that philosophy.

To the person you quoted, who cares if they accept only 50 people this month? How does that affect you? Don't worry about things that are beyond your control.
 
Is it true that BCM will give out 50 acceptances only in the second half of October? How many acceptances will be given out in November, December and January?

I've never heard that before. As I said earlier in this thread, the acceptances seem to trickle for quite some time, and then the number goes up pretty significantly in March/April/May. I don't think there's ever a set # per month, my impression is that it's a more dynamic situation than that. It's probably the same theme at most schools. The exception would be the TMDSAS match, where there is a prematch phase, a break, and then a discrete match day.
 
There's no way to generalize about how the admissions process goes. Every school is going to do it differently. Michigan, for example, is expecting to send out 80-120 (of 370) acceptances on Friday. Every committee/school has a different philosophy of admissions, and their procedures work to advance that philosophy.

To the person you quoted, who cares if they accept only 50 people this month? How does that affect you? Don't worry about things that are beyond your control.

This is why I tend to be skeptical of most things I hear about med school admissions.
 
I've never heard that before. As I said earlier in this thread, the acceptances seem to trickle for quite some time, and then the number goes up pretty significantly in March/April/May. I don't think there's ever a set # per month, my impression is that it's a more dynamic situation than that. It's probably the same theme at most schools. The exception would be the TMDSAS match, where there is a prematch phase, a break, and then a discrete match day.

did you post this during histo?
 
Is it true that BCM will give out 50 acceptances only in the second half of October? How many acceptances will be given out in November, December and January?
Just to echo what others are saying, trying to guess when and how many acceptances will go out is like trying to read tea leaves. But I would be very, very surprised if as many as 50 acceptances go out before the end of this month. Additionally, of the handful of acceptances that do go out, it seems like from past threads that the vast majority go to OOS students.
did you post this during histo?
:laugh: Kretzer wasn't exactly captivating this morning? Or do you guys have that other guy Rowley right now (and if so, I'm sorry)?
 
:laugh: Kretzer wasn't exactly captivating this morning? Or do you guys have that other guy Rowley right now (and if so, I'm sorry)?

kretzer....and quite the contrary....most captivating lecture yet! ask a bunch of MS1s about his anecdotes to explain a particular condition in the urogenital region related to ciliary immotility/lability. epic!

edit: i should add: it was positively elegant! lol
 
kretzer....and quite the contrary....most captivating lecture yet! ask a bunch of MS1s about his anecdotes to explain a particular condition in the urogenital region related to ciliary immotility/lability. epic!

edit: i should add: it was positively elegant! lol
Nice, I know exactly what you're talking about. That was one of our favorite anecdotes too.

You guys still have so many classic moments coming up...
 
ok i havent applied to baylor yet but i use this thread because its really helpful & my dream school is baylor 🙂 i understand calculus isnt listed under baylors pre req requirements but so many schools request it so I was wondering if its a preferred class. Like do they prefer those who have taken the calculus course over those who havent?
 
ok i havent applied to baylor yet but i use this thread because its really helpful & my dream school is baylor 🙂 i understand calculus isnt listed under baylors pre req requirements but so many schools request it so I was wondering if its a preferred class. Like do they prefer those who have taken the calculus course over those who havent?

Nope, don't think so. I took statistics, never took any calculus.
 
I heard that starting for 2012 admission statistics is going to be a required course (at least in Texas) - not sure which statistics qualify, but that's what I hear.

I really hope I don't have to reapply for next year.
 
hey is that thing after the interview at the bar cool

I had a really good time at mine! Not only was it a fun way to unwind after a long interview day, but several current first-years came out to hang with us.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey is that thing after the interview at the bar cool

YES! If you like chilling out and talking with your fellow interviewees + current med students, you will enjoy it. If hanging out in a situation like that isn't your thing, that's fine too. I'd definitely encourage you to go. If your interview is this week, the # of current students attending should be pretty good. We don't have exams for another 10 days or so.

Good luck to those interviewing this week. I'll be doing basic science tours, so I will be meeting some of you very soon!
 
I called today, I submitted my App September 27th, and she told me my file was complete and has been available to reviewers.

I have a 3.86/3.88 GPA and a 34P on the MCAT. I have a substantial Work & Activities section.

The only downside to my application was that I was charged with a misdemeanor(driving incident) that was later (by decision of judge and prosecution) reduced to a traffic violation. Everyone I called (including AMCAS) said I better list it, then to not, and err on side of caution, in case the background checks reveal the charge and I dont mention it on AMCAS. It was a stupid immature thing I did in a vehicle when I was 19 (I am 21, nearly 22 now).

How much will this negatively impact me getting an invite from Baylor? Also, any insight on how it may affect me getting interviews from elsewhere as well.

Thanks and goodluck to all.
 
I think the best way to think of is this: given the choice between you or a fairly similar applicant (of which there are likely many), would you choose the person with or without a record?

In the big scheme of things a misdemeanor isn't a huge deal, but it's certainly not going to help you.
 
I called today, I submitted my App September 27th, and she told me my file was complete and has been available to reviewers.

I have a 3.86/3.88 GPA and a 34P on the MCAT. I have a substantial Work & Activities section.

The only downside to my application was that I was charged with a misdemeanor(driving incident) that was later (by decision of judge and prosecution) reduced to a traffic violation. Everyone I called (including AMCAS) said I better list it, then to not, and err on side of caution, in case the background checks reveal the charge and I dont mention it on AMCAS. It was a stupid immature thing I did in a vehicle when I was 19 (I am 21, nearly 22 now).

How much will this negatively impact me getting an invite from Baylor? Also, any insight on how it may affect me getting interviews from elsewhere as well.

Thanks and goodluck to all.


First of all, you haven't been complete for that long...so don't panic yet.

This next advice is more an analysis of your application to all schools, rather than from a Baylor perspective: Your composite MCAT is excellent, but is unbalanced. You're essentially at the 'cutoff' for your VR score. In other words, your 34 probably wouldn't hold up to another applicant's 11, 11, 12 for example. That being said, I think your app is great, and I believe you've got a respectable chance. Just remember that the section scores do matter. A possible redeeming factor would be if English is not your first language...apparently adcoms will sometimes take that into account if your VR is on the low side.

As far as the misdemeanor, I don't know how BCM handles this when looking at your file. Hopefully you were able to explain it in a meaningful way...that's all you can do. Good luck, and hang in there!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.