You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2010-2011 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread
Started by ksmi117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! I was hoping someone may know the answer to these questions. If you do, please share 🙂🙂
- What is the class size this fall?
- How much do you think the increase in class size will help IS and OOSers respectively?
- Can anyone share the chances of getting off the upper third instate list? ( I want to avoid reading the volumes of past years threads)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm a little confused. Does top 1/3 actually mean the waitlist is divided equally into three lists according to rankings (With an equal amount of people in each list). Or are there three different lists with different amounts of people in each (and according to the responses on this thread, with the majority of people in the top 1/3 list).
Oh and I also just got waitlisted top 1/3.
Oh and I also just got waitlisted top 1/3.
Hello everyone! I was hoping someone may know the answer to these questions. If you do, please share 🙂🙂
- What is the class size this fall?
- How much do you think the increase in class size will help IS and OOSers respectively?
- Can anyone share the chances of getting off the upper third instate list? ( I want to avoid reading the volumes of past years threads)
1. Roomate (1st year resident) thought it was ~135.
2. Probably the percentage makeup of the class.
3. 65%. If you stay upper third until May 15th. Of course, it depending on your profile (Male/Female, IS/OSS)
1. The dean of admission said it is around 140. So probably between 135 and 140.Hello everyone! I was hoping someone may know the answer to these questions. If you do, please share 🙂🙂
- What is the class size this fall?
- How much do you think the increase in class size will help IS and OOSers respectively?
- Can anyone share the chances of getting off the upper third instate list? ( I want to avoid reading the volumes of past years threads)
2. It is going to help OOS more than IS. The dean of admission said in the upcoming years the class make up is going to be 50% IS and 50% OOS. I am not sure what the target percentage is going to be for this year.
3. It is harder for IS to come of the waitlist than OOS, however you can prove your chances by expressing interest to the school through update letters and a letter of interest.
So I'm a little confused. Does top 1/3 actually mean the waitlist is divided equally into three lists according to rankings (With an equal amount of people in each list). Or are there three different lists with different amounts of people in each (and according to the responses on this thread, with the majority of people in the top 1/3 list).
Oh and I also just got waitlisted top 1/3.
They are not divided equally, the top 1/3 has far the most people in it. There are two waitlist, one for OOS and another for IS. When one OOS person declines, they will accept someone from the OOS list. The same goes for the IS waitlist. It is not horrible to be on the waitlist, there is usually a good turnover on it.
Last edited:
Accepted! So far EVMS is my only acceptance, and I really liked the school when I visited. I'm curious to get to know my future classmates. Other EVMS intendeds, is there any forum or group set up anywhere?
For the nervous stat-hounds, here I am:
uGPA: N/A (went to a college with narrative evaluaitons); gGPA: 4.0; 35R; OOS
For the nervous stat-hounds, here I am:
uGPA: N/A (went to a college with narrative evaluaitons); gGPA: 4.0; 35R; OOS
There's a class thread and a facebook group.
For people who got off the waitlist, have you sent in letters of interest? If so, did you do it by email or snail mail? I really want to get off the waitlist and go here...
I got off the waitlist and I sent in a letter of intent right when I got put on the waitlist. I sent it through a email to the dean of admissions. The waitlist doesn't really move until march, so you have time to get letters into him to express your desire to attend.
Last edited:
I got off the waitlist and I sent in a letter of intent right when I got put on the waitlist. I sent it through a email to the dean of admissions. The waitlist doesn't really move until march, so you have time to get letters into him to express your desire to attend.
you already got off the waitlist this application cycle??

you already got off the waitlist this application cycle??![]()
I got off on Feb 11 after being placed on the OOS waitlist beginning of January. Also shmelke got off the instate waitlist beginning of February, but we are the only two I know of so far. The waitlist won't start moving until march. There is no reason to worry about it yet.
Does anybody think this is strange? I interviewed in late January and got a letter mid February saying that I was placed on the waiting list. That's all well and good, but the wording of the letter was something like, "...candidates will be chosen from the waiting list onces all interviewed applicants have been reviewed."
To me that just sounds like a description of the current "applicant pool" minus the superstars who got immediate acceptances and those (if any) who had such a disastrous interview they got rejected.
My previous conception of a "waitlist" is a list that can't really exist until all interviews are completed and reviewed, and candidates a chosen from this list only when accepted applicants withdraw.
I guess my question is this: Is this letter basically just telling me I'm still in the running (which is what I would assume if they said nothing) or are they telling me they already doubt I'll get an initial acceptance but will probably be on the "real" waitlist when they've reviewed everyone?
(I'm mostly asking out of curiosity, since I got accepted yesterday to a school that I'm fairly sure I would choose over EVMS.)
To me that just sounds like a description of the current "applicant pool" minus the superstars who got immediate acceptances and those (if any) who had such a disastrous interview they got rejected.
My previous conception of a "waitlist" is a list that can't really exist until all interviews are completed and reviewed, and candidates a chosen from this list only when accepted applicants withdraw.
I guess my question is this: Is this letter basically just telling me I'm still in the running (which is what I would assume if they said nothing) or are they telling me they already doubt I'll get an initial acceptance but will probably be on the "real" waitlist when they've reviewed everyone?
(I'm mostly asking out of curiosity, since I got accepted yesterday to a school that I'm fairly sure I would choose over EVMS.)
I got off on Feb 11 after being placed on the OOS waitlist beginning of January. Also shmelke got off the instate waitlist beginning of February, but we are the only two I know of so far. The waitlist won't start moving until march. There is no reason to worry about it yet.
Ye... That was pretty lucky... shocking too
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got off on Feb 11 after being placed on the OOS waitlist beginning of January. Also shmelke got off the instate waitlist beginning of February, but we are the only two I know of so far. The waitlist won't start moving until march. There is no reason to worry about it yet.
did they call/email you to tell you you were off the waitlist or did you call them?
congrats by the way! hope I'll see you there in August

did they call/email you to tell you you were off the waitlist or did you call them?
congrats by the way! hope I'll see you there in August![]()
I received the acceptance package in the mail. I could have found out by calling them, but I had no Idea that I was getting of the wait list that soon. The acceptance packet was a complete surprise for me.
Does anyone know how EVMS does their class schedule? It is a full day of classes or a half day?
Does anyone know how EVMS does their class schedule? It is a full day of classes or a half day?
Typically full day. Hopefully you're all in the habit of self-study so that you can skip most, if not all, classes. I would still go to anatomy, though, as Goodmurphy is hilarious. Go to all the labs.
Typically, it's Molec and Cell Bio MW mornings, Anatomy MWF (with lab), Histo TR mornings (with lab). Embryology closely follows Anatomy. You'll have Intro To the Patient (ITP) in the afternoons (typically TR) with small group after lecture. That's where you see Standardized Patients (SPs).
Exams are Mondays in first semester.
ok so just called and after exactly 4 weeks of waiting and 4 phone calls to check my status (1 each week) my interviewer still has not given my file to the admissions committee.....
the day after i returned back home (ny) from va, i sent a thank you card and an update letter via mail and email to evms. now i want to send an email LOI. how do you guys think they will respond to an email that says something along the lines of - evms is the school i will attend if accepted. i have another acceptance and an interview coming up and i was hoping i will gladly deny that acceptance and withdraw from that interview if i get accepted. however, the deadline to pay to continue to hold my seat is fast approaching, is there anyway to find out like NOWWWW??? - haha of course i will try to word it better than that but i have another 750 due to NSU in 2 weeks and an interview in philly that i dont want to pay to travel to when i know that if accepted to EVMS i absolutely will go there.....
what do you think??? any advice would be so much appreciated!!!
edit: ok so i can afford to wait one more week.... but i would really like to have an answer next week. i know 5 weeks is actually a fast turn around time relative to other schools, but relative to evms i feel like its forever. even the woman on the phone said my interviewer is late handing in my file. do you think an email will help me get an answer next week?
the day after i returned back home (ny) from va, i sent a thank you card and an update letter via mail and email to evms. now i want to send an email LOI. how do you guys think they will respond to an email that says something along the lines of - evms is the school i will attend if accepted. i have another acceptance and an interview coming up and i was hoping i will gladly deny that acceptance and withdraw from that interview if i get accepted. however, the deadline to pay to continue to hold my seat is fast approaching, is there anyway to find out like NOWWWW??? - haha of course i will try to word it better than that but i have another 750 due to NSU in 2 weeks and an interview in philly that i dont want to pay to travel to when i know that if accepted to EVMS i absolutely will go there.....
what do you think??? any advice would be so much appreciated!!!
edit: ok so i can afford to wait one more week.... but i would really like to have an answer next week. i know 5 weeks is actually a fast turn around time relative to other schools, but relative to evms i feel like its forever. even the woman on the phone said my interviewer is late handing in my file. do you think an email will help me get an answer next week?
Last edited:
I would NOT email the adcom again. You've made your point to them. They can't do anything without the file. Anything more would, in my opinion, come off as overbearing. When they do have your file, that is not how you want to be remembered by the adcom. If anything, you might send another round of notes to your interviewers. Something very brief saying that you really appreciated getting to know him/her and can't wait to hear if you get in, so you can give up your other acceptance/interview. I wouldn't even mention that the adcom doesn't have your file. I would be sure to send those letters to the interviewers' offices, not c/o Admissions.
Good luck.
Good luck.
I wouldn't get your heart set on evms if your interviewers didn't get your file to the committee in over 4 weeks! Either it wasn't a great interview or you drew the short stick on interviewers!
ok so just called and after exactly 4 weeks of waiting and 4 phone calls to check my status (1 each week) my interviewer still has not given my file to the admissions committee.....
the day after i returned back home (ny) from va, i sent a thank you card and an update letter via mail and email to evms. now i want to send an email LOI. how do you guys think they will respond to an email that says something along the lines of - evms is the school i will attend if accepted. i have another acceptance and an interview coming up and i was hoping i will gladly deny that acceptance and withdraw from that interview if i get accepted. however, the deadline to pay to continue to hold my seat is fast approaching, is there anyway to find out like NOWWWW??? - haha of course i will try to word it better than that but i have another 750 due to NSU in 2 weeks and an interview in philly that i dont want to pay to travel to when i know that if accepted to EVMS i absolutely will go there.....
what do you think??? any advice would be so much appreciated!!!
edit: ok so i can afford to wait one more week.... but i would really like to have an answer next week. i know 5 weeks is actually a fast turn around time relative to other schools, but relative to evms i feel like its forever. even the woman on the phone said my interviewer is late handing in my file. do you think an email will help me get an answer next week?
I wouldn't get your heart set on evms if your interviewers didn't get your file to the committee in over 4 weeks! Either it wasn't a great interview or you drew the short stick on interviewers!
That is not true. It depends on how busy the interviewers are or how backed up the meetings are getting, which I assume is very backed up with the end of the interview season fast approaching.
If it were me, I would just wait, or keep calling once a week. I would say no to the e-mail just because they haven't gotten to your application for a reason (like I said, because your interviewer is busy, at a conference, sick, etc.) or because they are backed up in general, and I don't see an e-mail helping speed up that process. But maybe if you did the e-mail you would get an answer as to why they are behind and you would throw out the tiny possibility that your application has just "slipped through the cracks"? So it's up to you. Good luck!

@223 - Please tell me your user name has SOMETHING to do with "The Wire".
any waitlistees with an invite to preview weekend?
sorry to quote myself, but i'm really wondering this...
i want an invite (and acceptance)!!!
I'm pretty sure they are only sending invites to accepted students. Sorry.
I'm pretty sure they are only sending invites to accepted students. Sorry.
Can't speak for this year (no info, so don't ask), but we definitely had a bunch of WL people invited and who attended preview. I should know because I received the invite before I was accepted.
Can't speak for this year (no info, so don't ask), but we definitely had a bunch of WL people invited and who attended preview. I should know because I received the invite before I was accepted.
thanks for the input...this is what i thought based on threads from previous years. i'm sure they send the invites to those accepted first and then start going off the waitlist. i think a lot of people from last year got the invite mid-march, so i guess i have a bit more time to patiently wait.
i called the office and apparently the students send out the invitations, not the admissions office.
Hey, fellow pre-meds and med students,
So I interviewed at EVMS in October, was placed on WL (top third). I e-mailed the dean a letter of interest/update info today, and received the prompt response that he would like to schedule a phone appointment with me! What should I think of it? Has anyone else had a phone appointment with the dean? I have never heard of such thing!
Thank you in advance for your response!
So I interviewed at EVMS in October, was placed on WL (top third). I e-mailed the dean a letter of interest/update info today, and received the prompt response that he would like to schedule a phone appointment with me! What should I think of it? Has anyone else had a phone appointment with the dean? I have never heard of such thing!
Thank you in advance for your response!
Hey, fellow pre-meds and med students,
So I interviewed at EVMS in October, was placed on WL (top third). I e-mailed the dean a letter of interest/update info today, and received the prompt response that he would like to schedule a phone appointment with me! What should I think of it? Has anyone else had a phone appointment with the dean? I have never heard of such thing!
Thank you in advance for your response!
I mailed Dr. Solhaug after being waitlisted as well and got the same response... He just told me what he thought of my application and why he thought I was waitlisted and what I could do to increase my chances. He is very nice.... he will ask if you have any questions about the process so prepare to ask/bring up any concerns...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, fellow pre-meds and med students,
So I interviewed at EVMS in October, was placed on WL (top third). I e-mailed the dean a letter of interest/update info today, and received the prompt response that he would like to schedule a phone appointment with me! What should I think of it? Has anyone else had a phone appointment with the dean? I have never heard of such thing!
Thank you in advance for your response!
I got off the waitlist because of the phone interview with the dean back in February. Trust me, it is a good thing.
I got off the waitlist because of the phone interview with the dean back in February. Trust me, it is a good thing.
how long did he take to contact you? and does he usually write back to everyone who sends in a letter of interest?
how long did he take to contact you? and does he usually write back to everyone who sends in a letter of interest?
I got the invite for the phone interview the day after I sent sent in a letter, and I got accepted two weeks after my phone interview.
Got an OOS interview invite today, but declined since I've already been accepted elsewhere, so hopefully that opens up an interview spot for someone who really needs it. Best of luck to you all!
Well, I checked with one of the students who sent out the invite, and I was wrong. They are inviting some waitlisted students, but not all. I don't know how they decide who to invite. Sorry for my misinformation earlier!Can't speak for this year (no info, so don't ask), but we definitely had a bunch of WL people invited and who attended preview. I should know because I received the invite before I was accepted.
I got off the waitlist because of the phone interview with the dean back in February. Trust me, it is a good thing.
If u don't mind me asking, what makes u so sure the phone interview is what got you off the waitlist? Now I'm worried that I was less than impressive on the phone and he put a huge "do not accept" on my file! 😀
So, returning to the original question, have any of my fellow waitlisters been invited for preview yet?
If u don't mind me asking, what makes u so sure the phone interview is what got you off the waitlist? Now I'm worried that I was less than impressive on the phone and he put a huge "do not accept" on my file! 😀
He told me that I would be off the waitlist by April during the phone interview and two weeks later I was accepted. And honestly I didn't feel like I was that impressive during the interview.
If u don't mind me asking, what makes u so sure the phone interview is what got you off the waitlist? Now I'm worried that I was less than impressive on the phone and he put a huge "do not accept" on my file! 😀
DrSmday, how long ago was your phone interview? May be you are next to get off the WL! Did he say something about you getting off the waiting list or he just gave some advices on how making yourself more competitive?
AtTheBeach, I did not get the invite (at least not yet)
I was recently accepted to my state school (University of Arizona) and will be giving up my acceptance to EVMS tomorrow. If the OOS tuition could compete with IS tuition it would have been a much harder decision. Good luck to all!
I was recently accepted to my state school (University of Arizona) and will be giving up my acceptance to EVMS tomorrow. If the OOS tuition could compete with IS tuition it would have been a much harder decision. Good luck to all!
Congrats on your acceptance to Arizona. Although, it would have been nice to have someone from my Alma-mater with me at EVMS.
Does anyone know how many of their seats are fulled with guaranteed admits?
What do you mean by guaranteed admits? I always understood that no one is guaranteed a spot, not even the medical master students at EVMS (however around 85% do get in each year).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
[What do you mean by guaranteed admits? I always understood that no one is guaranteed a spot, not even the medical master students at EVMS (however around 85% do get in each year).[/QUOTE]
EVMS pairs up with several different local colleges and offers guaranteed admittance to the school for a select number of students. It is an awesome program because you DONT have to take the MCAT.
EVMS pairs up with several different local colleges and offers guaranteed admittance to the school for a select number of students. It is an awesome program because you DONT have to take the MCAT.
I also sent the Dean a letter of interest two days ago and haven't heard back... What does that mean? 🙁
I have been in the same boat...never responded to my first (right after interview) or second(update rather recently). Could mean nothing or it could mean we are doomed. I hate the wait list.
I have been in the same boat...never responded to my first (right after interview) or second(update rather recently). Could mean nothing or it could mean we are doomed. I hate the wait list.
I wouldn't worry about it too much...with interviews just concluding, I'm sure the entire admissions office is overwhelmed. I am on the IS waitlist (top 1/3) and, though I have spoken to the dean, it did take some time to arrange the meeting. I would suggest sending him another request if he doesn't answer after about 2 weeks (you want to be persistent without being a bother). I have also heard that generally, you are not "doomed" as long as you are on the top 1/3 of either the OOS or the IS waitlist.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K