2010-2011 Emory Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fin aid packages are up on Opus. It's looking like Emory might actually be the one for me. If my wife likes the area at second look (which she probably will), I'll be matriculating here for sure.

feelsgoodman.jpg
Lots of grants?

PS, I like the beer and the sport!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if you have to have all tax returns sent in before Emory will give you a Financial aid offer? My parents tax return won't be done until the 15th...I hope I don't get screwed over because of that.

Does anyone know if you have to have all tax returns sent in before Emory will give you a Financial aid offer? My parents tax return won't be done until the 15th...I hope I don't get screwed over because of that.

You have to have your parents' tax returns submitted before you can be eligible for any need-based scholarships. If you don't want to be considered for those, then I think you can let the financial aid office know, and they'll prepare your financial aid package without needing your parents' info.. but you will only get loans this way, not any need-based aid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of grants?

PS, I like the beer and the sport!

Ahh, you have good taste :cool::thumbup:.

But yeah, they're just grants and need-based scholarships, not merit or anything special. My folks don't earn much, so I'm just happy to see the price tag lowered a bit.

But yeah, they're just grants and need-based scholarships, not merit or anything special. My folks don't earn much, so I'm just happy to see the price tag lowered a bit.

You should feel very lucky! I turned everything in super early (including my parental info/tax stuff) and all I was offered were loans :( Apparently I qualify for the maximum amount of government aid (eg. stafford loans) but can't get even a penny of scholarship or grant money. My parents also don't earn much and my sister is also in school. ....

Oh Emory how I loved thee....but you are making it very hard to attend.

You should feel very lucky! I turned everything in super early (including my parental info/tax stuff) and all I was offered were loans :( Apparently I qualify for the maximum amount of government aid (eg. stafford loans) but can't get even a penny of scholarship or grant money. My parents also don't earn much and my sister is also in school. ....

Oh Emory how I loved thee....but you are making it very hard to attend.

So this place is anonymous right? Or has the anon bubble been popped by a facebook group or something? If not, I would be super interested to know how much both of you and your parents make. since it seems like IlaEm should be in a position to get grant money, maybe perceptions are very different? Seems interestiiiing, any takers? :D

So this place is anonymous right? Or has the anon bubble been popped by a facebook group or something? If not, I would be super interested to know how much both of you and your parents make. since it seems like IlaEm should be in a position to get grant money, maybe perceptions are very different? Seems interestiiiing, any takers? :D

From what I can tell, most schools determine your award by the EFC given on the FAFSA. I think the equation is *something* like this for students without merit aid:

total COA - (Fed Sub loan max + Fed unSub loan max. + EFC) = Need based grants provided by school.

The EFC is then to be paid with $$, grad PLUS or private loans. The EFC is typically ~1/3 of your parents' combined income after taxes.

The private schools I'm looking at gave me nearly identical financial aid packages, so I'm fairly certain they're using the same criteria/formulas. If anyone has a more accurate picture, please correct me.

Last edited:
From what I can tell, most schools determine your award by the EFC given on the FAFSA. I think the equations are *something* like this for students without merit aid:

total COA- Fed Sub loan max - Fed unSub loan max. = out-of-pocket expense. Then:

Out of pocket expense - EFC = Need based grants provided by school.

The EFC is then to be paid with $$, grad PLUS or private loans. The EFC is typically ~1/3 of your parents' combined income after taxes.

The private schools I'm looking at gave me nearly identical financial aid packages, so I'm fairly certain they're using the same criteria/formulas. If anyone has a more accurate picture, please correct me.

Yep. I'm just interested in the numbers. The difference between you and the other person. And why they've gotten nothing when they think they should have. To be honest, I'm just interested because of things sort of like this popping up in the news recently. The Chicago law professor (I think) that said he wasn't rich when he made $400k+ per year. The Congressman who thinks he's almost poor with his mid $100k salary. So I'm curious to see if IlaEm's family makes a ton of money and they just feel like they don't. But now I bet no one will want to say numbers since I explained all of that :)

From what I can tell, most schools determine your award by the EFC given on the FAFSA. I think the equation is *something* like this for students without merit aid:

total COA - (Fed Sub loan max + Fed unSub loan max. + EFC) = Need based grants provided by school.

Yep. I'm just interested in the numbers. The difference between you and the other person. And why they've gotten nothing when they think they should have. To be honest, I'm just interested because of things sort of like this popping up in the news recently. The Chicago law professor (I think) that said he wasn't rich when he made $400k+ per year. The Congressman who thinks he's almost poor with his mid $100k salary. So I'm curious to see if IlaEm's family makes a ton of money and they just feel like they don't. But now I bet no one will want to say numbers since I explained all of that :)

Hah! Well I don't think my perceptions are completely off... I made about $35,000 at my job in 2010 (which there isnt much left of...perhaps my month long trip to Africa was not the best financial plan before medical school). My dad has been unemployed for years and my mom and him live off his army pension and social security (which in total amounts to $2000 - $3000 a month I think). My sister is in school abroad so the tuition is "only" ~ $12,000. I think what must have been the issue is my parents' assets. My parents bought their house in the bay area with loans (that they co-signed for with my grandparents) back in 1980 and they finanlly paid it off a couple of years ago. The house has trippled in value so it was the best investment my parents ever made. So....if my parents sold their house, they could help me pay for medical shool. But since they can't do that, it's going to be all loans for me. If i remember correctly ( I don't feel like looking up my PROFILE/FAFSA), my parents only have about $1500 in their savings acount right now...and they actually didn't make enough to even pay taxes this year :( So yeah I was pretty sad that I was only offered loans.

Hope that made sense and cleared some things up????

Hah! Well I don't think my perceptions are completely off... I made about $35,000 at my job in 2010 (which there isnt much left of...perhaps my month long trip to Africa was not the best financial plan before medical school). My dad has been unemployed for years and my mom and him live off his army pension and social security (which in total amounts to $2000 - $3000 a month I think). My sister is in school abroad so the tuition is "only" ~ $12,000. I think what must have been the issue is my parents' assets. My parents bought their house in the bay area with loans (that they co-signed for with my grandparents) back in 1980 and they finanlly paid it off a couple of years ago. The house has trippled in value so it was the best investment my parents ever made. So....if my parents sold their house, they could help me pay for medical shool. But since they can't do that, it's going to be all loans for me. If i remember correctly ( I don't feel like looking up my PROFILE/FAFSA), my parents only have about $1500 in their savings acount right now...and they actually didn't make enough to even pay taxes this year :( So yeah I was pretty sad that I was only offered loans.

Hope that made sense and cleared some things up????

Daaaaamn, you're a clear example of the problem with this method of financial aid calculation :eek:

I think what must have been the issue is my parents' assets. My parents bought their house in the bay area with loans (that they co-signed for with my grandparents) back in 1980 and they finanlly paid it off a couple of years ago. The house has trippled in value so it was the best investment my parents ever made. So....if my parents sold their house, they could help me pay for medical shool. But since they can't do that, it's going to be all loans for me.

I think you're right. Our situations are very similar, except my family has no assets, only debt (they got the other end of the stick with their real estate investments). I think they expect your family to take out a mortgage on their house... it is crazy but sadly not uncommon.

Any feedback from those of you who attended second look weekend? I didn't get to go, so I just wanted to hear opinions. Thanks!

Any feedback from those of you who attended second look weekend? I didn't get to go, so I just wanted to hear opinions. Thanks!

Anyone? I'd love to hear as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone? I'd love to hear as well.

It was great. We got to socialize with current & prospective students, and I gotta say, I was extremely impressed with the types of people that end up at Emory, a truly diverse group. Also the current students seemed very happy and normal, which is always a good sign.

The school wasn't trying to sell themselves at all, but instead tried to give us "a day in the life" of an Emory student. It definitely lacked the used car salseman vibe I got from other 2nd looks, and actually allowed me assess the teaching style/learning environment. It left me with a very good impression of the school & students, and I'll likely be matriculating.

Also, I finally got my hands on an electronic copy of this year's match list, and It's pretty sweet. Evidently the M4s were very happy with the results. I'll post it in the next day or so.

It was great. We got to socialize with current & prospective students, and I gotta say, I was extremely impressed with the types of people that end up at Emory, a truly diverse group. Also the current students seemed very happy and normal, which is always a good sign.

The school wasn't trying to sell themselves at all, but instead tried to give us "a day in the life" of an Emory student. It definitely lacked the used car salseman vibe I got from other 2nd looks, and actually allowed me assess the teaching style/learning environment. It left me with a very good impression of the school & students, and I'll likely be matriculating.

Also, I finally got my hands on an electronic copy of this year's match list, and It's pretty sweet. Evidently the M4s were very happy with the results. I'll post it in the next day or so.

+1 to pretty much everything said. And we played soccer with the first years after the official part of the day was done which just contributed to the general laid back feel of the school (and was also a ton of fun). Just seems like you can't really go wrong going to Emory, no matter what they will make sure it works out for you.

Almost equal numbers of Gsurg and IM matches...I'm guessing the surgery mentoring is pretty strong at Emory?

Internal Medicine 27

Mass General Hospital
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
UC San Francisco
UC San Francisco
UC San Francisco(Medicine/Primary Care)
University of Washington Affiliated Hospitals
Yale-New Haven Hospital
Yale-New Haven Hospital
WashU St. Louis- Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Duke University Medical Center
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (Medicine/Primary Care)
New York Presbyterian Hospital - Columbia University Medical Center
New York Presbyterian Hospital - Weill Cornell Medical Center
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
New York University School of Medicine
New York University School of Medicine
University of North Carolina
Emory University School of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine (Medicine/Primary Care)
George Washington University (Medicine/Primary Care)
UT Houston Medical School
Naval Medical Center

Family Medicine 2
UC San Francisco
Medical College Wisconsin

Pediatrics 12
University of Colorado Denver
Childrens Hospital- LA
Childrens Hospital- LA
University of Chicago Medical Center
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
University of Alabama Birmingham

General Surgery 21
Duke University Medical Center
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
UC San Diego Medical Center
UT Southwestern Medical School
UT Southwestern Medical School
University of Florida

OB/GYN 9
Brigham & Womens Hospital
Stanford University
Yale-New Haven Hospital
Greenville Hospital System/ University of South Carolina School of Medicine
Medical University of South Carolina
Oregon Health & Science
Santa Clara Valley Medical Center

Anesthesiology 7
Brigham & Womens Hospital
UC Irvine
Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Brooke Army Medical Center

Dermatology 4
University of Texas Southwestern
Medical University of South Carolina
University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics

Emergency Medicine 9
Johns Hopkins Hospital
UC San Francisco
Carolinas Medical Center
Carolinas Medical Center
UC San Diego Medical Center
University of Michigan

Neurology 6
Johns Hopkins Hospital
WashU St. Louis - Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Tulane University School of Medicine

Neurosurgery 3
UC San Francisco
University Hospital Cincinnati

Ophthalmology 4
WashU St. Louis - Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Rush University Medical Center
Medical College of Georgia

Orthopaedic Surgery 2
UMDNJ-NJMS

Oral/Maxillofacial Surgery 2

Otolaryngology 3
Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education
Henry Ford Health System

Pathology 1

Phys Medicine & Rehabilitation 2
Northwestern McGaw

Plastic Surgery 1
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine

Psychiatry 3
Harvard Longwood Psychiatry

Radiation Oncology 1

Radiology Diagnostic 3
University of Michigan Hospitals
Jackson Memorial Hospital

Urology 2

Very nice match list. Definitely keeping my hopes for some Emory WL movement!

Very nice match list. Definitely keeping my hopes for some Emory WL movement!

I'll be turning down Emory on Monday so there should be another slot in the pool.

I loved Emory, but I would much rather live at the beach for next 4+ years than ATL, so I'm heading to MUSC.

I'll be turning down Emory on Monday so there should be another slot in the pool.

I loved Emory, but I would much rather live at the beach for next 4+ years than ATL, so I'm heading to MUSC.

Haha good luck! The beach definitely sounds like a nice place to be for a solid 4 years.... if the beaches near MUSC are anything like OBX, consider me jealous.

I'm sure your spot at Emory will be enjoyed by another fortunate soul (pick me!) ;)

Will be withdrawing my acceptance within the next two days...best of luck to the WListers...im sure my spot will be given to someone amazing! Loved Emory but University of Rochester seems like a better fit!

I am also withdrawing my acceptance. I didn't find a link on Opus, so I just emailed them. Am I missing something?

Good luck to whoever gets my spot. I also absolutely fell in love with Emory, but I had one school slightly higher on my list.

Best of luck to everyone!

i know it's still super early, but has anyone heard of any WL movement? i'm so tired of waiting!

Still no word here? I adored Emory, I wish odds weren't so poor this late in the game.

Hi! I have a 1 BR apartment at Highland Lake Apartments that will be available beginning of June. This is a 795 sq ft apartment. The apartment is the first building past the gate and is conveniently located nearby to the main office and the mail boxes. The rent is $880/ mo. This apartment is close to the main campus and there is a short walking distance to Clairmont campus which runs shuttles to main campus.

i know it's still super early, but has anyone heard of any WL movement? i'm so tired of waiting!

Still no word here? I adored Emory, I wish odds weren't so poor this late in the game.

Hi guys, I wanted to let you all know that i was accepted last week of the waitlist. :love:

I didn't want to post on the exact day, but it is moving.

I could not be more excited as Emory has been my absolute dream school since day 1. I was jumping up and down on the phone!!

June told me that intent letters and continued interest play a HUGE role, so I would be sure to let them know if it is your first choice.

Good luck to all and I hope those of you waiting get to be my classmates at Emory next year! I really wish you all the very best :)

Congrats!! :)

Has anyone heard of any other Emory movement? This school has been my hands down top choice for MONTHS!

:luck: + :xf: + :love:

I GOT THE CALL!!!!

But... Emory's financial package is ~$100,000 more than my other acceptance. Oh heartbreak... I fear there may be another spot open soon :cry:

I GOT THE CALL!!!!

But... Emory's financial package is ~$100,000 more than my other acceptance. Oh heartbreak... I fear there may be another spot open soon :cry:

Congrats Baron!! When did you get the call? Did you send an update letter?

I GOT THE CALL!!!!

congrats! what did you do to get unwaitlisted? did they say how the alternate list was moving?

c'mon Emory!! call me!

my fingers are going to break from being crossed so much. oh well.

:xf:

I didn't do anything in particular - I kept in touch but there is no magic unlock code (sadly!).

I wish my financial estimate looked a little sunnier, but $280k in debt before interest is... a lot. :(

Declined my acceptance today.... just couldn't afford it :( Good luck to everyone, hopefully one of you gets my spot!

Looks like Iowa Carver?

Carver it is :D Everyone I spoke to there was incredibly supportive, and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I'll be freezing my bum off but it'll be worth it!

Hello all. So I just got accepted today, but there is a 95% chance I will be declining. I was silly and I never sent in the FA docs, so I have 24hrs to decide with no FA package. So all you waitlistees out there who made the same mistake as me, please send Emory your FA docs, cuz a spot will be opening up very soon!!!!

And no I never sent any update letters.

:soexcited:

accepted off the waitlist!! my top choice!!

keep sending letters if Emory is your dream school! good luck! :luck:

:soexcited:

accepted off the waitlist!! my top choice!!

keep sending letters if Emory is your dream school! good luck! :luck:
Congratulations! did you get any grants if you don't mind share? I got off waitting list from another school, I didn't get any grants even my finicail condition is not that good. I thought school take advantage from off waitinglist student.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.