2010-2011 Emory Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Called Admissions about second look weekend and they said they had JUST finalized everything for April 22nd. We should be getting emails about the details soon. See a bunch of you guys then!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I'm down in Atlanta looking at houses for rent for my boyfriend and I for next year. Any idea where the best areas to live are? We have a few favorites in the Decatur area but I was hoping to find out where most of the current students in houses live.

I would recommend checking out houses in the Virginia-Highlands area. It is a very cute area and there is a great restaurant and bar scene in walking distance. I know a few med students who live there, although it can be a bit pricier than Decatur.

I would recommend checking out houses in the Virginia-Highlands area. It is a very cute area and there is a great restaurant and bar scene in walking distance. I know a few med students who live there, although it can be a bit pricier than Decatur.

VA Highlands is really expensive, no parking, and it's for 30 year old yuppies (in my experience - Emory undergrad), but if that's what you're into. The North Druid Hills area is pretty nice, too. Follow La Vista rd northeast from there for some nice neighborhoods, too. Candler Park is good, and there's a decent park right there. Depending on whether or not you want a back yard you could live in midtown. Once you figure out the back roads it doesn't take long to get to Emory.

Members don't see this ad :)
Called Admissions about second look weekend and they said they had JUST finalized everything for April 22nd. We should be getting emails about the details soon. See a bunch of you guys then!

Yikes just checked flights for that weekend. Wow. Thanks Easter

Yikes just checked flights for that weekend. Wow. Thanks Easter

Tell me about it. I just want to book my flights already before prices climb even higher, but I'm waiting on the official word from Emory.

Does anyone know what happens over housing weekend? I vaguely remember hearing something about current M1s taking new students around or something, but I'm wondering if that's all that happens all three days. I can't make it for the first day and a half, so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth changing around vacation plans to make it, or if I can just go for half of it.

Thanks!

I too need essay prompts. Thanks in edvance.

Prompt 1: What is your opinion of the historical significance of the Crimean War in relation to your ability to practice medicine?

Prompt 2: What epistemological problems are addressed in the film Citizen Kane?

Prompt 3: What kind of pajamas?

So I might be crazy, but do I recall correctly that Emory Orientation begins in late July? If so, do we need to let Emory know our intentions by April 15?

So I might be crazy, but do I recall correctly that Emory Orientation begins in late July? If so, do we need to let Emory know our intentions by April 15?

Why would you need to do it earlier than you do for other schools?

Why would you need to do it earlier than you do for other schools?

For schools whose classes start before July 31, the AMCAS traffic rules state that you have to drop all acceptances before April 15.

The question is: is Emory one of these? I found a calendar for the med school online, but it wasn't their academic calendar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yesterday the first class under the new curriculum matched. I'm curious what the list looks like...

Yesterday the first class under the new curriculum matched. I'm curious what the list looks like...

An MD/PhD (so not new curriculum) friend of mine from Emory matched at UCSF for neurosurgery :eek: Totally awesome. He's actually the second MDPhD from Emory to match for NS at UCSF in the past 3 (I think) years

Last edited:

Ahhhh no offense but can people stop thinking that the match list will be able to tell you anything about a school's curriculum!

where you match has a whole bunch of factors including where the applicants want to go. And even if a certain place may be highly regarded, sometimes an applicant may not want to go there for whatever reason (significant other, etc.) so what does the match list of any school tell you? Probably nothing since we know nothing of the applicants' preferences and individual performance versus institution.

Every school has a match list that has solid programs but just because say, X school didn't have anyone match into neurosurgery that year doesn't mean next year someone from X school can't match into say UCSF for NS.

Last edited:
Ahhhh no offense but can people stop with the match list love??

Do they realize that where you match has a whole bunch of factors including where the applicants want to go. And even if a certain place may be highly regarded, sometimes an applicant may not want to go there for whatever reason (significant other, etc.) so what does the match list of any school tell you? Probably nothing since we know nothing of the applicants' preferences and individual performance versus institution.

Every school has a match list that has solid programs but just because say, X school didn't have anyone match into neurosurgery that year doesn't mean next year someone from X school can't match into say UCSF for NS.

Yeah yeah, we've all seen this debate hashed out on these forums 10 million times before. Whatever your opinion, I'm still curious to see where this year's class is headed.

Ahhhh no offense but can people stop thinking that the match list will be able to tell you anything about a school's curriculum!

where you match has a whole bunch of factors including where the applicants want to go. And even if a certain place may be highly regarded, sometimes an applicant may not want to go there for whatever reason (significant other, etc.) so what does the match list of any school tell you? Probably nothing since we know nothing of the applicants' preferences and individual performance versus institution.

Of course, but it's still interesting to see.

Thinking about it a little more, I think it can matter a little bit, too. Taken to the extreme, if every single person got in at the top programs for their specialty, you could reasonably say that that says something about the school. The reverse would be true, too. So, I think you could also see less extreme trends.

Yeah yeah, we've all seen this debate hashed out on these forums 10 million times before. Whatever your opinion, I'm still curious to see where this year's class is headed.

I'm interested as well out of curiosity, not to nit pick though but your post seemed to imply that you wanted to see the list to gauge the impact of the new curriculum which led me to go on my mini rant! its all good though

I'm interested as well out of curiosity, not to nit pick though but your post seemed to imply that you wanted to see the list to gauge the impact of the new curriculum which led me to go on my mini rant! its all good though

Haha, it's true, I actually thought about saying something about the curriculum comment, too.

I def. think your mini-rant is an accurate summary of why we should be cautious looking at these match lists. I generally agree with your comments, and I really just want to see the list out of my own curiosity.

That being said, I do think that some elements of the new cirriculum might be reflected in the match list. For example: The "Discovery Phase" component of the cirriculum probably attracts students with more research-intensive specialties/careers in mind -- is this apparent in the match?

I def. think your mini-rant is an accurate summary of why we should be cautious looking at these match lists. I generally agree with your comments, and I really just want to see the list out of my own curiosity.

That being said, I do think that some elements of the new cirriculum might be reflected in the match list. For example: The "Discovery Phase" component of the cirriculum probably attracts students with more research-intensive specialties/careers in mind -- is this apparent in the match?

Haha I apologize for having a quick trigger though and jumping the gun, just so many bad personal experiences with people asking about match lists!

It would definitely be interesting to see if there were any significant changes/movement towards specialties that emphasize or require research between the 2011 match and last year's.

Haha I apologize for having a quick trigger though and jumping the gun, just so many bad personal experiences with people asking about match lists!

No worries :thumbup:. There's a lot of mis-information associated with these lists, I don't blame you for getting fed up with it.

The list was quite impressive. A lot of M4s got into very competitive specialties at prestigious programs.

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if the last wave of acceptances has already come out? Also, if we aren't accepted how will we hear otherwise?

Thank you and good luck to everyone still waiting! :luck:

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if the last wave of acceptances has already come out? Also, if we aren't accepted how will we hear otherwise?

Thank you and good luck to everyone still waiting! :luck:

Yes they went out. And I think it's regular mail letters for the other decisions, going out soon.

Just got e-mail about being on Alternate List...

Just got e-mail about being on Alternate List...

Same here :( Does anyone know approximately how many people Emory puts on the alternate list? I'm kind of afraid the chances of getting accepted at this point aren't very good....

Everyone that interviews and is not accepted outright is placed on the alternate list.

Same here :( Does anyone know approximately how many people Emory puts on the alternate list? I'm kind of afraid the chances of getting accepted at this point aren't very good....

Everyone that interviews and is not accepted outright is placed on the alternate list.

Are you sure about this? I'm fairly certain that I had a few friends who interviewed last year that were rejected instead of put onto the Alternate List.

EDIT: Nevermind, I they just denied their alternate spots.

Is anyone else bringing their significant other to second look weekend? I realize he won't be part of most of the activities during the day, but he would like to see more of the area and has some job interviews he could schedule then. Just curious if anyone else was bringing someone along with, or if he should just come down a different weekend.

Is anyone else bringing their significant other to second look weekend? I realize he won't be part of most of the activities during the day, but he would like to see more of the area and has some job interviews he could schedule then. Just curious if anyone else was bringing someone along with, or if he should just come down a different weekend.

I'll be bringing mine, as well. She's also hoping to schedule some job interviews and/or explore Atlanta on Friday.

Last edited:
I'll be bringing mine, as well. She's also hoping to schedue some job interviews and/or explore Atlanta on Friday.

Did you guys get an official announcement about second look weekend...?

Out of curiosity, has anybody who interviewed not received the email about the alternate list (besides, obviously the people who were accepted)?

"Everyone that interviews and is not accepted outright is placed on the alternate list."

Are you sure?

HOW DO I KNOW WHERE I AM ON THE ALTERNATE LIST?
There is no actual list. All applicants who respond to this email to accept alternate status are added to the alternate GROUP. If a spot should open in the first-year class, everyone in the alternate GROUP will be considered equally.

That would be one hell of a group to review if everyone is put on it, no?

I'm pretty sure they said they don't reject anyone that interviews (well technically they do in July..but you're waitlisted before rejected). Have you guys seen any post-interview rejections in this thread or any thread in previous years??

It wouldn't make sense for them to keep holding applicants that interviewed as each wave of acceptances are made only to reject them in March. Otherwise they could just reject them as they go along.

"Everyone that interviews and is not accepted outright is placed on the alternate list."

Are you sure?

There is no actual list. All applicants who respond to this email to accept alternate status are added to the alternate GROUP. If a spot should open in the first-year class, everyone in the alternate GROUP will be considered equally.

Does anyone know anything about computer requirements? I've been poking around the website and haven't seen anything. Didn't know if there was a specific model or if there is a suggestion for mav vs pc. Thanks!

Does anyone know anything about computer requirements? I've been poking around the website and haven't seen anything. Didn't know if there was a specific model or if there is a suggestion for mav vs pc. Thanks!
I would say the requirements at Case are similar to those at other schools I've seen, although I am not very sure about Emory in particular. It's always possible to call admissions?

The mac vs pc debate boils down to some strange initial quality and software reliability (mac) vs price and warranty (PC) debate, albeit a little more nuanced than that.

I can confirm that everyone that is interviewed is either accepted or waitlisted (alternate list) and that the waitlist is not officially ranked.

Source: my girlfriend is at Emory med and just asked the Dean

Are you sure?

to any current students who may be reading this - did you go to the housing weekend? was it helpful? if you had roommates during your first year, how'd you find them? would you recommend the grad student housing complex or something from craigslist/other? i'd like to use the money i would've spent traveling to the housing weekend for something a little more exciting...

Saw the list the other day and it was quite impressive. Everyone has been saying that this has been one of their best matches ever.

Saw the list the other day and it was quite impressive. Everyone has been saying that this has been one of their best matches ever.

Now I'm really curious. Maybe they'll give us a copy at second look.

For those of you looking for housing, I would like to transfer my lease at Campus Crossings Briarcliff to an incoming Emory student since I unexpectedly won't be able to stay. The building is mostly public health, law and medical students.

1BD/1BA in a 2BD/2BA fully furnished apartment within walking and biking distance to campus/Emory Hospital/Children's hospital (there's a free shuttle too). My rent might be cheaper than a new lease since I've lived here 2 years with no rent increase.

Lease dates are June 1, 2011 - May 31, 2012, but later start date is possible. If you're here for second look weekend (or other time), we can arrange for you to come take a look. PM me if you'd like more info.

Fin aid packages are up on Opus. It's looking like Emory might actually be the one for me. If my wife likes the area at second look (which she probably will), I'll be matriculating here for sure.

feelsgoodman.jpg

Hmm...they told me today that notices would start going out April 15th

I guess you got lucky?

Hmm...they told me today that notices would start going out April 15th

I guess you got lucky?

Weird. The OPUS e-mail I recieved was actually sent last night. Best of luck to those still waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.