2010-2011 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
anybody know the average mcat, gpa's, etc. for FIU?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an interview invite yesterday! Anyone have any tips on the interview, what to expect, etc.?

Just got an interview invite yesterday! Anyone have any tips on the interview, what to expect, etc.?

The admissions staff, interviewers, and deans are all super nice and really laid back. I loved this school. They are 100% there to help you out and support you, and that's really a difference from many other admissions offices I've come in contact with in the past.

It's a bit of a construction zone, but the up side of that is everything is new. Their graduate housing is seriously about 20 meters from the med school building.

The interviews are 2 people interviewing you at once for 30 minutes, but my interview was very enjoyable. They are closed file, which means they know nothing about you other than your name and picture.

They interview around 300 people and accept 80. They have a system that's a little different from many other schools. We were told that the admissions committee doesn't like to flat out reject people who have interviewed, unless they were just terrible and antagonistic. They electronically vote to accept, reject, or final pool (wait list) students. The first 80 applicants to be voted into the accept category get offered a spot, the 81st person on gets an "accepted" email, which is basically an upper tier waitlist. However, we were told that if you interview early and are put on this list, then you are almost assured a spot. Interviewing early here is a big plus.

The final pool is reviewed a second time in February and acceptances are made from that pool at that time. That's all I know.

Grats on the interview and good luck! You'll have fun. :)

Last edited:
Thanks a lot eablackwell. Definitely sounds like a positive atmosphere and I'm really looking forward to visiting.

How did you get the interview around 300 ppl and accept 80 figures? Did they tell you? And only 80 for this year's incoming class? :eek:

The admissions staff, interviewers, and deans are all super nice and really laid back. I loved this school. They are 100% there to help you out and support you, and that's really a difference from many other admissions offices I've come in contact with in the past.

It's a bit of a construction zone, but the up side of that is everything is new. Their graduate housing is seriously about 20 meters from the med school building.

The interviews are 2 people interviewing you at once for 30 minutes, but my interview was very enjoyable. They are closed file, which means they know nothing about you other than your name and picture.

They interview around 300 people and accept 80. They have a system that's a little different from many other schools. We were told that the admissions committee doesn't like to flat out reject people who have interviewed, unless they were just terrible and antagonistic. They electronically vote to accept, reject, or final pool (wait list) students. The first 80 applicants to be voted into the accept category get offered a spot, the 81st person on gets an "accepted" email, which is basically an upper tier waitlist. However, we were told that if you interview early and are put on this list, then you are almost assured a spot. Interviewing early here is a big plus.

The final pool is reviewed a second time in February and acceptances are made from that pool at that time. That's all I know.

Grats on the interview and good luck! You'll have fun. :)

How did you get the interview around 300 ppl and accept 80 figures? Did they tell you? And only 80 for this year's incoming class? :eek:

The past 2 years have been 40-43 per class. This year the number has doubled. These numbers aren't their choice at the time being. As a new med school the AAMC sets the numbers. That's why UCF has the same numbers.

And yes, we were told 250-300ish interviews were likely this year. Their interview season ended late Jan last year I believe. It begins earlier and ends earlier than many other schools.

I'm currently doing research here and completed my med school prereqs here...I'm an non-traditional applicant. I really hope they show me some lovin'!:love:

Last edited:
Anyone else with the status of "Admission Committee Review Completed" ?

C'mon Oct. 15th!!! lol

LOVED my interview here. :thumbup: Really nice people.

Just checked my status, even though I won't hear before Oct. 15th. I'm getting antsy. It says my fate was decided on Sept. 28th :scared:

Also, being paranoid the way I am at the moment, on y'all's status page, what is the next line under AMCAS ID?

Last edited:
Woo!! Interview invite today via email!! This is my third, I haven't heard anything for months.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really enjoyed my interview at FIU. The interview is very laid back and the people at the school are extremely nice. Good luck for those who have interviews!

Just checked my status, even though I won't hear before Oct. 15th. I'm getting antsy. It says my fate was decided on Sept. 28th :scared:

Also, being paranoid the way I am at the moment, on y'all's status page, what is the next line under AMCAS ID?

"FIU Panther ID:" and it's blank.

i got good cop bad cop routine. First interview was at FIU, great warm up. I love the program, South Florida Native, its definitely one of my top choices.

Turned in all my secondaries between 9/15 and 9/30. All I've heard back from is FIU, and Boston University which did not invite me to an interview.

Anyways best of luck to everyone

31 MCAT, 3.7 GPA

I wish they would complete my preliminary review, its been over a month :(

I really enjoyed my interview at FIU. The interview is very laid back and the people at the school are extremely nice. Good luck for those who have interviews!
Do you know the turnaround on an admission decision after the interview?

"FIU Panther ID:" and it's blank.

Cool, thanks. I didn't remember seeing that before, and it was freaking me out. Good to know it's just a normal line. :)

Also, Jungle. I'm not sure about the turnaround at this point in time, but I interviewed on 9/10 and the admissions committee decided 9/28. I'd imagine 2-4 weeks in the future (aka after 10/15), but that's just a guess.

I think it's faster (or random) for IS, as I interviewed before then, and still have my status as "..... Scheduled."

I think it's faster (or random) for IS, as I interviewed before then, and still have my status as "..... Scheduled."

The lady from admissions said that she is the one who puts us in groups for review. She said she likes to mix up the groups so they include various stats, backgrounds, etc. Maybe you just got unlucky on the grouping. I think they still should have one meeting left before Oct. 15th. Hopefully you will be in that one :)

Cool, thanks. I didn't remember seeing that before, and it was freaking me out. Good to know it's just a normal line. :)

Also, Jungle. I'm not sure about the turnaround at this point in time, but I interviewed on 9/10 and the admissions committee decided 9/28. I'd imagine 2-4 weeks in the future (aka after 10/15), but that's just a guess.
That's really quick, I know Wayne State is making me wait four weeks!

Interview Invite! wooohooo! jus got it today after being on that "preliminary review complete" status since 7/18....

FL resident, 3.3 undergrad, 3.4 grad, 30 mcat, and hispanic :)

Did anyone have an afternoon interview? says it starts at 12pm....so do we get free lunch? lol

just got an update, Admissions Committee Scheduled, ~ 2 weeks after my interview date.

I guess this turns into Review Completed and then I hear a decision.

From what I've heard the faster they accept you, the faster it turns into review completed. If they are still reviewing you, all it will say is admissions committee scheduled.

Someone in another thread mentioned that AAMC is being more strict about schools giving acceptances only AFTER Oct 15th, meaning instead of hearing Friday morning it will likely be no earlier than Saturday morning. I hope this is incorrect. I am so stressed. I almost cried when I read that.

I just spoke with the admissions office, and there will be no emails of acceptance on 10/15. They will be sent out at 12:01am on 10/16 (Saturday).

Just received an interview invite from FIU a few minutes ago; this is my first invitation after sumitting my secondary last(?) week.

3.5 cGPA, URM, FL resident, and 32S

Hope this helps

My status has been "Preliminary Review Completed" since late July. Should I assume this is a silent rejection?

I'm wondering that too. People are getting interview invites after just submitting their secondary and my application has been sitting there with a "Preliminary Review Completed" since August.

I'm wondering that too. People are getting interview invites after just submitting their secondary and my application has been sitting there with a "Preliminary Review Completed" since August.

I got an invite last month right after I submitted my secondary. I think they are interviewing with a minimum MCAT of 32. Do you sharing your stats?

Hey, does anyone else who interviewed beginning of September not have their status as "Admissions Review Complete" because I was told I should hear about my acceptance/waitlist/rejection around the 15th and they haven't, as far as I know, reviewed my application yet. Wanderer; I'm mainly talking to you. Thanks!

P.S., UCF is weird school with interviews, but they do select you for an interview as soon as they get your app complete if they like you since they review all AORTA candidates each week. However, they could see your app more favorably one week than another and will call you. In any case, you could be invited for an interview at any time until all seats are filled, but you won't be rejected until then. Good Luck! :xf:

Hey, does anyone else who interviewed beginning of September not have their status as "Admissions Review Complete" because I was told I should hear about my acceptance/waitlist/rejection around the 15th and they haven't, as far as I know, reviewed my application yet. Wanderer; I'm mainly talking to you. Thanks!

P.S., UCF is weird school with interviews, but they do select you for an interview as soon as they get your app complete if they like you since they review all AORTA candidates each week. However, they could see your app more favorably one week than another and will call you. In any case, you could be invited for an interview at any time until all seats are filled, but you won't be rejected until then. Good Luck! :xf:
Yea still at "Admissions Committee Scheduled" and it says last update on 9/27. Before that it also said "Admissions Committee Scheduled" but it said updated 9/16 (I think). Before the ~16th it said "Interview Complete." I interviewed 9/3.

Thanks. I wish I knew why they put my application on the back burner. I am a competitive applicant.

Thanks. I wish I knew why they put my application on the back burner. I am a competitive applicant.

It's just how they randomly group the apps (by what I was told). There were likely apps with stats around yours already in the other groups when they put them together, and they try to mix and match so the committee doesn't get a full meeting of 35/3.9s, etc. Pretty sure it's just luck of the draw. I interviewed 9/10 and my review was complete during the 9/28 meeting. I'm sure your review will be soon! Good luck!

It's just how they randomly group the apps (by what I was told). There were likely apps with stats around yours already in the other groups when they put them together, and they try to mix and match so the committee doesn't get a full meeting of 35/3.9s, etc. Pretty sure it's just luck of the draw. I interviewed 9/10 and my review was complete during the 9/28 meeting. I'm sure your review will be soon! Good luck!

Makes sense. Still hoping for an interview. Thanks for the information.

Sooo, did anyone hear any good news? Best of luck to you all!

Accepted in an email, 12:30 am Saturday!! I got the email I nearly lost it... Congrats to everyone who got in, and good luck to those still waiting to hear!

Last edited:
I just got in too!! I was emailed at 12:31 AM; no text message. Congrats, possible-future-classmates, and good luck to the rest of you guys!

12:40 AM, at a friend's birthday party. First time of my life that I was literally sobbing out of joy. FIU CLASS OF 2015!!!!!!

accepted at 12:31 via email :D (i checked after finishing up a game of sc2 and now i cant get to sleep since im so excited lmao)

Congrats to everyone :D hope to get to know you all very soon!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.