2010-2011 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if FIU COM has coffee cups or other swag I can purchase for lor writers and family? I looked all through the FIU online store, but I couldn't find anything. Maybe you have to go down there to get it...

Members don't see this ad.

So excited to finally say this: ACCEPTED!!!!!:laugh::laugh::soexcited::soexcited::claps::woot::banana::biglove::rofl::rofl:--- wanted to use al the happy excited icons i could find to express 2% of what i actually feel.!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
The dream is finally reality-- Accepted! I am SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!! Congrats to everyone else who just found out, and good luck to everyone still interviewing- this school is phenomenal. :) :D :p ;) :rolleyes: :thumbup: :laugh: :love: :luck: There aren't enough emoticons for this...

ACCEPTED!!! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Congrats to everyone else who was accepted :highfive:

so whats going on in this thread?
:thumbup: Ha.

Congrats, everyone! I hope to be joining the ranks of accepted applicants soon!! Then I'll be virtual partying right along with y'all!!

Anyone who interviewed around October 1 been sent to committee yet? I remember the admissions director saying something about early November...I'm so anxious to know!!!

so everyone that got accepted so far for sure going to FIU? FIU was my first choice for a number of reasons so im definitely in.

Out of those accepted, did anyone else interview on Aug. 27th in the afternoon? I'm curious to see if I know anyone :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Out of those accepted, did anyone else interview on Sep. 27th in the afternoon? I'm curious to see if I know anyone :)

i interviewed on sept 3 in the afternoon.

Maybe we can start facebook stalking each other soon? lmao

I've actually just been playing campaign for now (my comp is old and it barely runs it at all. I'd be crushed on battle.net I am getting a new comp for cataclysm in Dec/Jan. Probably Jan because my husband's 25% employee discount at Apple resets then :)

Anyway, as for facebook, we should totally start a FIU COM c/o 2015 group :)

I've actually just been playing campaign for now (my comp is old and it barely runs it at all. I'd be crushed on battle.net I am getting a new comp for cataclysm in Dec/Jan. Probably Jan because my husband's 25% employee discount at Apple resets then :)

Anyway, as for facebook, we should totally start a FIU COM c/o 2015 group :)

while the idea of playing endless sc2 games in med school does sound appealing, im hesitant to bring my gaming comp to med school cuz it might distract me XD i guess we will see.

Campaign is pretty interesting :) i beat it in a week after i got the game back in july. Now i have to wait a year for part 2 =/

Haha- for sure. Also- to remedy my previously incorrect post... I interviewed on Aug. 27th- not Sep. Are you still looking at other schools or are you for sure going to FIU? I put down a seat deposit, but if my sig. other is not accepted to a law school in the area, I may reconsider. We're crossing our fingers for that, though, because FIU is amazing!

while the idea of playing endless sc2 games in med school does sound appealing, im hesitant to bring my gaming comp to med school cuz it might distract me XD i guess we will see.

Campaign is pretty interesting :) i beat it in a week after i got the game back in july. Now i have to wait a year for part 2 =/

Oh I have gamin self control. I've played WoW since original beta, but I take breaks for important things. For instance, I stopped playing during most of last year in order to work & go to school full time. I will enjoy about 8 months of super awesome gametime, and then I will likely hang it up for med school.

Oh I have gamin self control. I've played WoW since original beta, but I take breaks for important things. For instance, I stopped playing during most of last year in order to work & go to school full time. I will enjoy about 8 months of super awesome gametime, and then I will likely hang it up for med school.

I have gaming self control too its just that it sucksss because in mmos you usually lose contact with the group of people you grind with :(

Lucky you get 8 months of super awesome game time xD im stuck doing a masters. Getting a head start on med school so better watch out ;)

Haha- for sure. Also- to remedy my previously incorrect post... I interviewed on Aug. 27th- not Sep. Are you still looking at other schools or are you for sure going to FIU? I put down a seat deposit, but if my sig. other is not accepted to a law school in the area, I may reconsider. We're crossing our fingers for that, though, because FIU is amazing!

Well only 2 schools offered me interviews up to this point - FIU and Tufts. I believe we all know the results of the FIU interview XD Tufts was suppose to be in dec but the more i think about it, the more i dont like the idea of spending 4 super cold winters in the north away from family and friends. Snow is great and all, but i had my fill in undergrad tyvm.

And yea i had that problem last yr about worrying if my significant other would be in the same area as me. However, circumstances are that i dont need to worry about said person anymore so i guess it all worked out! LOL

Hope things work out for you though :) I know it can weigh heavily on a decision, especially one as important as this.

My husband lives in o-town, and I live in jax. It's not ideal, but he was offered a crazy raise to move a few months back, and knowing that we'd likely be down 1 income next year, we decided he should take it (even though I have a job up here). It's working out well, but then again we had an across the Atlantic relationship back in high school, so a few hours is nothing. He might be able to transfer to Miami in a year or so, which is a plus.

My husband lives in o-town, and I live in jax. It's not ideal, but he was offered a crazy raise to move a few months back, and knowing that we'd likely be down 1 income next year, we decided he should take it (even though I have a job up here). It's working out well, but then again we had an across the Atlantic relationship back in high school, so a few hours is nothing. He might be able to transfer to Miami in a year or so, which is a plus.

wow thats impressive. I tried a long distance relationship in the highschool/college transition but it didnt work out - probably because i was too young to know what i really wanted anyway XD I wish you two all the best :) I guess you must spend a lot of time on skype when you can huh? :p

wow thats impressive. I tried a long distance relationship in the highschool/college transition but it didnt work out - probably because i was too young to know what i really wanted anyway XD I wish you two all the best :) I guess you must spend a lot of time on skype when you can huh? :p

No need. My husband is a manager at Apple Computers, and we both have iphone 4s, so we just video chat every night. We split the dogs when he moved (as in...we each got 1 dog, not fractions of a dog :p ), and it's kinda fun to trick them with the iphone. My dog can totally see him and licks the phone, but his dog must have worse vision...because she is totally oblivious.

Anyway, we see each other most weekends, because I have weekends off, and it's only a 2 hour drive. Starting next year it's his turn to fly to miami once a month, because we both realize I will be way too busy to drive except for holidays.

I'm not saying long distance isn't difficult; I miss him all the time. However, neither of us wants to keep the other from their dream, and crazily enough I think that's one of the main reasons we work so well no matter the circumstances.

No need. My husband is a manager at Apple Computers, and we both have iphone 4s, so we just video chat every night. We split the dogs when he moved (as in...we each got 1 dog, not fractions of a dog :p ), and it's kinda fun to trick them with the iphone. My dog can totally see him and licks the phone, but his dog must have worse vision...because she is totally oblivious.

Anyway, we see each other most weekends, because I have weekends off, and it's only a 2 hour drive. Starting next year it's his turn to fly to miami once a month, because we both realize I will be way too busy to drive except for holidays.

I'm not saying long distance isn't difficult; I miss him all the time. However, neither of us wants to keep the other from their dream, and crazily enough I think that's one of the main reasons we work so well no matter the circumstances.

Sounds like you guys have a pretty good relationship.

So mrs. eablackwell, i hear you like anime....

Sounds like you guys have a pretty good relationship.

So mrs. eablackwell, i hear you like anime....

Indeed. I was pretty obsessed with it back in my high school years, and I took 3 semesters of Japanese in college (and almost majored in it). I haven't had time to watch much anime in the past year, but I will definitely be catching up on it between now and August. I'm one of those play a video game, watch tv, and read a book at the same time types. As I told them in my interview, chronic multitasker. :laugh:

Indeed. I was pretty obsessed with it back in my high school years, and I took 3 semesters of Japanese in college (and almost majored in it). I haven't had time to watch much anime in the past year, but I will definitely be catching up on it between now and August. I'm one of those play a video game, watch tv, and read a book at the same time types. As I told them in my interview, chronic multitasker. :laugh:

XD awesome :D I havent watched anime in a while as well, just the stuff thats on tv from time to time (inb4 japanese stuff is better). Trying to catch up on bleach when i have time right now by going to some sites that host the episodes. My multitasking skills amount to listening to the radio while driving =/ guess girls are just naturally better lol.

So what was your major in college then? I did bio and minor in psych so im pretty boring :( Kinda raped my gpa first 2 semesters but eventually i got back on track

XD awesome :D I havent watched anime in a while as well, just the stuff thats on tv from time to time (inb4 japanese stuff is better). Trying to catch up on bleach when i have time right now by going to some sites that host the episodes. My multitasking skills amount to listening to the radio while driving =/ guess girls are just naturally better lol.

So what was your major in college then? I did bio and minor in psych so im pretty boring :( Kinda raped my gpa first 2 semesters but eventually i got back on track

I started as a biomedical engineering/english major, was going to swap to Japanese, but I didn't like the Japanese program at UF when I got there (transferred from Duke for health reasons). So I changed to German and finished the major in 3 semesters (I had just gotten back from living in Vienna for 2 years, so my German wasn't bad to start).

So yeah...I guess the simple answer is I majored in German, in then end no minor...and now I teach AP Chemistry :p

I started as a biomedical engineering/english major, was going to swap to Japanese, but I didn't like the Japanese program at UF when I got there (transferred from Duke for health reasons). So I changed to German and finished the major in 3 semesters (I had just gotten back from living in Vienna for 2 years, so my German wasn't bad to start).

So yeah...I guess the simple answer is I majored in German, in then end no minor...and now I teach AP Chemistry :p

my AP chem teacher blew up the pipes in his college chem lab because he accidentally poured potassium down the drain. True story

On a related note i dated my chem lab TA freshman yr XD

my AP chem teacher blew up the pipes in his college chem lab because he accidentally poured potassium down the drain. True story

On a related note i dated my chem lab TA freshman yr XD

Potassium + Water => BOOM

My students love it when I show the alkali metal videos ;)

Anyway, I'm out for the evening. I have to teach chipper little 17 year olds about heat of formation tomorrow :)

Woo! Grats! I am still floating! I loved this school when I visited! For about the past 48 hours I've been terrified of waking up.

Congrats to you too!! Love your location...cloud 9...so true :thumbup:

Quick note to everyone still waiting on their acceptance email: I can only imagine your level of stress and anxiety, especially with everyone posting their acceptances, but so many more are on the way and I bet you get one too! I am :xf: for ya!!!

Put my deposit down yesterday- lookin' forward to next year folks.. Now I have to finish this SMP year knowing I'm going to have to do it all over again next year. yaaayyyy :rolleyes:

Potassium + Water => BOOM

My students love it when I show the alkali metal videos ;)

Anyway, I'm out for the evening. I have to teach chipper little 17 year olds about heat of formation tomorrow :)

sooo can you get me some pure potassium? I just need it for uhhh... school

<.<
>.>

Has anyone actually been rejected from FIU yet? I'm still at "preliminary review completed" and wondering if they are just waiting for a certain date to reject me or if it's a legitimate hold status.

I interviewed back on sept. 17th, and I felt like my interview went extremely well, so I was hoping to hear back on the 15th. I've been checking my status though and it still says Admissions Committee Scheduled. How long did it take people to get through adcom to get the reviewed status? Just hoping to hear back something soon! Waiting/anticipation is killing me!

I interviewed back on sept. 17th, and I felt like my interview went extremely well, so I was hoping to hear back on the 15th. I've been checking my status though and it still says Admissions Committee Scheduled. How long did it take people to get through adcom to get the reviewed status? Just hoping to hear back something soon! Waiting/anticipation is killing me!

I interviewed earlier than you and I have the same status.:confused: I was really hoping to hear on Friday but apparently they haven't reviewed my app yet even though it's been well over a month. Maybe they're saving the best for last but I can't help but feel that they gave all their acceptances out on the 16th and now the best I can hope for is a waitlist. Oh well.

I interviewed earlier than you and I have the same status.:confused: I was really hoping to hear on Friday but apparently they haven't reviewed my app yet even though it's been well over a month. Maybe they're saving the best for last but I can't help but feel that they gave all their acceptances out on the 16th and now the best I can hope for is a waitlist. Oh well.

We were told in the info session that it was very unlikely the 80 spots would be filled by Oct 15th, they had filled about 30/40 by Oct 15th last year (if I remember correctly). I also remember them saying they were not really increasing the number of interviews (at least not significantly) for double the number of spots. So hang in there, all is definitely not lost!

I got accepted today (the 19th). After not hearing on the 16th I assumed I was waitlisted, but clearly I was wrong. Hang in there, you may hear some good news still.

I don't know. I'll have to wait till December-January to see what my options and then another couple of months to see how much I'd have to pay at each school. I'm not tied to a particular location so I'm looking at schools all over.

I'm in!!! Just heard tonight! To all those waiting, keep the faith! I interviewed 9/3 and had the 'Admissions Committee Scheduled' tag forever & thought I was a goner, but I bought some champagne yesterday to keep my spirits up & I got to pop the cork tonight! Go team!

My adcom review was nearly 6 weeks after my interview, so I guess the wait time can vary greatly. I'm a reapplicant, so I went from not getting any acceptances last year to an acceptance on the first day of this cycle. Anything is possible; keep your head up and good luck all.

WOW congrats to all who have been accepted!!

I LOVE FIU, and hope I get in :scared:

submitted secondary on 10/7, now just waiting....

I interviewed 9-27, and was submitted for committee review on 10/6.

Still waiting, but hope I get it! I loved FIU! I thought that UCF would be comparable with it being a new school, but honestly could not bring myself to like it (in the middle of nowhere, huge EMPTY building, etc.) Does anyone share these sentiments??

Has anyone actually been rejected from FIU yet? I'm still at "preliminary review completed" and wondering if they are just waiting for a certain date to reject me or if it's a legitimate hold status.

Dunno, but it's been two months since my secondary was submitted and that's been the status since ("secondary completed").

Accepted. I can't even begin to explain how great it feels. All the work over the last years is paying off.

I interviewed 9-27, and was submitted for committee review on 10/6.

Still waiting, but hope I get it! I loved FIU! I thought that UCF would be comparable with it being a new school, but honestly could not bring myself to like it (in the middle of nowhere, huge EMPTY building, etc.) Does anyone share these sentiments??

I know what you mean, but I felt a bit more impressed by UCF. Looking back, it seems strange to me that they (FIU) didn't show us any of the actual medical campus. They just showed us the main campus.

I know what you mean, but I felt a bit more impressed by UCF. Looking back, it seems strange to me that they (FIU) didn't show us any of the actual medical campus. They just showed us the main campus.

yeah, that's a good point. They said the floors were under construction. But the classrooms that we saw seemed pretty nice, and the library section was also nice.

With FIU, I like being connected to the main campus rather than isolated. I guess it's just a personal preference... What I saw of the medical school facilities at FIU I liked :)

The thing about that is that the medical campus where students do their rotation varies. The main hospital is Baptist, which is like a 10 minute drive in highway. FIU doesn't have an adjacent medical facility like other schools, not yet at least.

On a separate note, congratulations to you who have gotten accepted, to those waiting, keep up the positive attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.