2010-2011 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly does "Preliminary Review Completed" mean? Since it doesn't say schedule interview or anything, does that mean I was rejected? Granted this status was posted 4 hours ago LOL. Am I getting ahead of myself? Anyone know what the next status after this is?

Thx

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how often the committee meets?? I have been scheduled since 10/6 and Interviewed 9/27. The suspense is KILLING me.

Congrats to all those who were accepted! Before your statuses changed to “accepted” what did it say first? Did it stay “Admissions Committee Scheduled” “Admissions Committee Review Completed” or “Final Decision Made?”

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations guys!! I can't imagine what it must feel like. I'm interviewing there on the 29th (next week), do you guys have any tips for me? Was there a tour of the school, and how did you find out you were accepted?

Wooooohooooo! Invite received today and I picked Nov. 1st. Any other people interviewing that date? Looks like I might be able to stay in Miami afterall :D.

Oh and props to FIU on the quick turnaround! LORs were in 2 weeks ago, secondary for a month, and after one day of "Preliminary Review Completed" got the invite!

Keep the faith everyone!

Interview Invite today also (was complete 10/6)!!! Scheduled for November 19th, So excited to visit Miami! Does anyone know how many people will be in the class?

Interview Invite today also (was complete 10/6)!!! Scheduled for November 19th, So excited to visit Miami! Does anyone know how many people will be in the class?

80 students. I was also going to pick the 19th but I will be cruisin' in the Bahamas...congrats!

I almost choked when I saw the cost of tuition on their website. Obviously I'm out of state. Someone PLEASE tell me that this is the cost of my ENTIRE med school education and not 1 year? :confused: (its $88,000)

I almost choked when I saw the cost of tuition on their website. Obviously I'm out of state. Someone PLEASE tell me that this is the cost of my ENTIRE med school education and not 1 year? :confused: (its $88,000)

Nope, definitely accurate! Miami is very expensive, at least rent-wise and tuition at FIU gets very expensive as an OOS.

Can anyone give examples of the ethical questions you were asked while interviewing here? Were there many per interview or just one or two? Thx!

Can anyone give examples of the ethical questions you were asked while interviewing here? Were there many per interview or just one or two? Thx!

Yes, it would be EXTREMELY helpful to have a heads-up on the types of ethical questions they ask. Thanks in advance:)

There were two interviewers per person, and interviews were pretty close to the 30 minutes they tell you they will last. And I didn't get any ethical questions. Some of the questions were difficult, but none were outright ethical questions. A tip--look at the interview feedback on SDN, what's on there is very similar to what you will get during the real interview. Good luck! Don't worry too much, just whatever you say, be confident about it. Or at least sound like you are ;)

I got an acceptance email Oct. 16, interviewed on Sept. 3. VERY VERY excited :D:D:D:D

room with someone and you can cut that cost down by a lot :D

Members don't see this ad :)
There were two interviewers per person, and interviews were pretty close to the 30 minutes they tell you they will last. And I didn't get any ethical questions. Some of the questions were difficult, but none were outright ethical questions. A tip--look at the interview feedback on SDN, what's on there is very similar to what you will get during the real interview. Good luck! Don't worry too much, just whatever you say, be confident about it. Or at least sound like you are ;)

I got an acceptance email Oct. 16, interviewed on Sept. 3. VERY VERY excited :D:D:D:D

did you interview in the afternoon? If so then you were there on my day :D!!

Yea interviewers are very laid back, friendly etc. Dont be afraid, just be yourself. Some of the questions i remember were what made u want to become a doctor, what was one big challenge u faced, how do you react to not succeeding, and why FIU. They will also ask about what kind of support system u have in miami if at all (SAY THE PEOPLE U MET ON STUDENT DOC :D)

If you got an interview, you have a pretty good chance of getting in or waitlisted :)

Yeah! I interviewed in the afternoon, too! In fact I was in the last round of interviews :) I thought my turn would never come...

Hey guys - I've been stalking this forum for a while and wanted to say a BIG CONGRATS to all who have gotten accepted!! Hope to be in your shoes soon, if at all!!!!

I have an interview at FIU this Friday... and I was wondering how soon after do they reach their decision? When should I be expecting to hear by?

I LOVE FIU, definitely one of my top choices! Very excited/anxious for this interview!

Thank you!

Hey guys - I've been stalking this forum for a while and wanted to say a BIG CONGRATS to all who have gotten accepted!! Hope to be in your shoes soon, if at all!!!!

I have an interview at FIU this Friday... and I was wondering how soon after do they reach their decision? When should I be expecting to hear by?

I LOVE FIU, definitely one of my top choices! Very excited/anxious for this interview!

Thank you!

Hey! I have morning interview on Friday. Are you morning or afternoon?

OH! Good luck!!

I have an afternoon interview. Are you driving or flying there?

Hey DocTraveler, I would follow superjanicita's recommendation & read the interview feedback; that will give you a good idea of some of the questions you'll see. I had some pretty tough ethical questions, one was what kind of ethical guidelines did I think were necessary for gene therapy; I definitely fumbled that one. I also got questions on alternative medicine and making mistakes as a physician. If I had to prepare to interview again, I would make sure I could clearly state my ethical principles in general, and then maybe try to give a few examples of specifics in my answer. Hope that helps. Most of the interviewers are really nice, so don't worry much. good luck next week, and luck to all you all who are interviewing!

Hey everyone!
I have a question: I submitted my application on 10/7 and got a new MCAT score on 10/12. I went from a 27 to a 31. Should I submit this as an update? or can I be sure that that have received this info and have acknowledged it?

If you got an interview, you have a pretty good chance of getting in or waitlisted :)

Aren't there two differnt waitlists? Like an upper tier waitlist and then a holding pool? I've heard the upper tier one moves fairly quickly. Would anyone say there is a significant turnover?

Also does interviewing now mean that we're most likely to be put on a waitlist? Or do we still have a chance of getting accepted... I always wonder this with FIU!

here's :xf: praying that this Friday goes well!! Very excited/nervous!

Hey everyone!
I have a question: I submitted my application on 10/7 and got a new MCAT score on 10/12. I went from a 27 to a 31. Should I submit this as an update? or can I be sure that that have received this info and have acknowledged it?

They automatically receive all mcat updates... as far as I'm aware...?

lol I'm in state as well... but it's a long drive from gainesville - they have new direct flights to MIA so i'm using that :)

Haha, if you're driving from Gville, then we may be classmates right now =0 lol.

Haha, if you're driving from Gville, then we may be classmates right now =0 lol.

There were so many people from UF when I interviewed here. :) I graduated from UF also, but a few years back (2007). Good luck on your interviews!

I'm in Jax now, and I drove to my interview. 5 hours...fun. ;)

another gator here.............graduated may of last year.........just got "preliminary review completed"..... pretty quick since my app wasnt complete until 2 weeks ago.......

hopefully that means an interview invite is soon to come like for some of you!!

Can anyone comment on what their status said after their file was reviewed post-interview prior to being notified of an acceptance?

There were so many people from UF when I interviewed here. :) I graduated from UF also, but a few years back (2007). Good luck on your interviews!

I'm in Jax now, and I drove to my interview. 5 hours...fun. ;)

Hey ea, I've been following you since I first saw you post at the beginning of this cycle (in a non-stalkerish kind of way) and I wanted congrats on the FIU acceptance!!! Did you end up withdrawing all your other apps?

Hey ea, I've been following you since I first saw you post at the beginning of this cycle (in a non-stalkerish kind of way) and I wanted congrats on the FIU acceptance!!! Did you end up withdrawing all your other apps?

I withdrew my apps except for UCF, because my husband currently works about 15 min from that school. However, there's about a 99% chance I'm going to FIU. I really loved it there. :)

I know they're giving some full ride (including living expenses) scholarships again this year. The fin aid lady said they're hoping to offer at least 20 of them. I'm crossing my fingers for some type of good aid package. :)

I withdrew my apps except for UCF, because my husband currently works about 15 min from that school. However, there's about a 99% chance I'm going to FIU. I really loved it there. :)

I know they're giving some full ride (including living expenses) scholarships again this year. The fin aid lady said they're hoping to offer at least 20 of them. I'm crossing my fingers for some type of good aid package. :)

I had no idea they were giving out full ride scholarships. That's really cool! Personally though, I would go to UCF even if I had to pay OOS tuition for essentially the same reason as you, so hurry up REL and call me please, lol =P I can't wait to check out FIU, the more I read about them, the more excited I am to have the opportunity to interview there (and the fact that I got an interview there got me pretty damn excited lol).

wow 20 full ride scholarships sounds pretty amazing..........

Anyone interviewing November 19?

Got an INTERVIEW INVITE: November 19th!!! So excited, this is my first one. Any tips from veterans?? Im alittle nervous...

Anyone know how many people they are interviewing? My friend that interviewed recently said they are interviewing approx. 500 applicants this cycle. Don't know if there is any validity to this =S

Got an INTERVIEW INVITE: November 19th!!! So excited, this is my first one. Any tips from veterans?? Im alittle nervous...

Don't be nervous. This was my first interview and def very relaxed. Just be prepare for ethical questions (health care reform, genetic engineering, etc.) because I hear they like to ask those a lot. The interview is only 30 min long total, so you don't have much time to sell yourself, so just be confident, positive, and show that you are excited about the mission of the school..

I really like FIU. I interviewed a month ago today, and still haven't been committee reviewed. I'm hoping for good news when it comes!

Hey DocTraveler, I would follow superjanicita's recommendation & read the interview feedback; that will give you a good idea of some of the questions you'll see. I had some pretty tough ethical questions, one was what kind of ethical guidelines did I think were necessary for gene therapy; I definitely fumbled that one. I also got questions on alternative medicine and making mistakes as a physician. If I had to prepare to interview again, I would make sure I could clearly state my ethical principles in general, and then maybe try to give a few examples of specifics in my answer. Hope that helps. Most of the interviewers are really nice, so don't worry much. good luck next week, and luck to all you all who are interviewing!

Wow, that is pretty unexpected! Thanks for the advice. :)

Hey all, I just wanted those concerned about having to wait for an admission committee to meet to know that I feel you! I've been waiting for substantially longer than those who say its been a month, but I'm hoping they review me sometime in the next few weeks. I'm hoping it is simply a random grouping and not representative of something bad. I'm not sure if they review every other week or each week, but I know they reviewed last Tuesday, so maybe next Tuesday? Anyway, Good luck!

Hey all, I just wanted those concerned about having to wait for an admission committee to meet to know that I feel you! I've been waiting for substantially longer than those who say its been a month, but I'm hoping they review me sometime in the next few weeks. I'm hoping it is simply a random grouping and not representative of something bad. I'm not sure if they review every other week or each week, but I know they reviewed last Tuesday, so maybe next Tuesday? Anyway, Good luck!

Ok. So Tuesday.. Good to know. I'll keep my fingers crossed for us!! :)

So what is people's opinion on sending flowers and a "thinking of you" card? I just want them to know I care is all.

Don't be nervous. This was my first interview and def very relaxed. Just be prepare for ethical questions (health care reform, genetic engineering, etc.) because I hear they like to ask those a lot. The interview is only 30 min long total, so you don't have much time to sell yourself, so just be confident, positive, and show that you are excited about the mission of the school..

I really like FIU. I interviewed a month ago today, and still haven't been committee reviewed. I'm hoping for good news when it comes!

Curious... I didn't get any substantial ethical questions. My interview was incredibly conversational though.

Curious... I didn't get any substantial ethical questions. My interview was incredibly conversational though.

I only got one, and my interview was also very conversational. However, some of the people I interviewed with got plenty of ethical questions..so it really just depends on the interviewer. It never hurts to be prepared though :)

So what is people's opinion on sending flowers and a "thinking of you" card? I just want them to know I care is all.

Priceless. :thumbup:

Good luck to everyone interviewing. I didn't get any strictly ethical questions, but I did get an interviewer that asked me to describe where I saw myself in 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25 years. I answered as best I could (I thought pretty good considering I was not sure what specialty I'd be in), but the person kept asking for more. Good thing I have the gift of "let's pretend" gab. ;)

All in all very conversational and fun interview. Don't stress too much.

Sounds like overkill to me.

Toughest questions I had were about health care reform (it was more specific than the generic "what do you think about the health care reform?"), and talking about how I used problem-solving to get through a tough decision.

Hi everyone:

I see that a lot of you are getting interviews and want some feedback from people. I thought I would share my experience with you. I interviewed sept 3rd and by October 1st a decision was made. They didn’t tell me until oct 16th since apparently that was the policy. The most important thing for me was the atmosphere, which was very relaxed, I could tell that the staff was making a conscious effort to make us all feel welcome. I remember Dr. Roller kept mentioning “when you are accepted” instead of “if you are accepted”, which was very encouraging. At the beginning they go through the FIU COM curriculum and affiliated hospitals. After a little tour we just talked to students (which seemed like such nice people, a very cohesive group) and other staff. The interview style is what they call a “blind interview”, which means that your interviewers don’t see your file prior to the interview, all they have is your name and your picture. That relieved a lot of my anxiety. It was clear that all they wanted to do is get to know my personality and see if I would be a good fit for the FIU mission statement. One of the most important questions for them is “why FIU?” so be prepared to answer that. As far as ethical questions are concerned, just tell them what you believe in, but most importantly JUSTIFY why you believe what you believe in. There are no right/wrong answers in ethical questions. I guess this is getting kind of long now so I’ll wrap it up. The bottom line is that if you have gotten an interview it’s because they are very interested in you. Keep that in mind. Now they want to know what you are like in person. It’s very hard to bomb this interview. Especially here since everyone was so kind.

Personally, I wrote a thank you note to my interviewers because they were just awesome with me, it didn’t feel like an interview at all. I also wrote a letter of interest the very next day because I was very impressed with the school, and that is coming from a current student! Apparently it paid off :)

Good luck to all of you.

When did you hear they are giving out full rides? They never mentioned this during my interview. I just wanted to know how valid this is. UCF is only giving out a few full rides this year.

When did you hear they are giving out full rides? They never mentioned this during my interview. I just wanted to know how valid this is. UCF is only giving out a few full rides this year.

After interviewing at FIU, I think that ea meant that FIU is giving out 20 full ride scholarships, which is what they told us. So excited for FIU, I enjoyed my day there =) I fell in love with their integrative curriculum and taking the steps after 3rd year instead of 2nd made sense to me considering they are intertwining the two. Can't wait to hear back from them.

At the end of the interview day at FIU there was a financial session. They give something which I believe (if memory serves) they call a "tuition +" scholarship. After the presentation you have the chance to ask the lady questions on your own. I asked her about losing an income when I start med school, seeing as my fafsa will have over 40k extra listed the first year. I was told that since I was working right up to July, I would be kinda screwed. But she told me they were likely to give at least 20 tuition plus scholarships this year, so I shouldn't lose all hope if I was accepted.

At the end of the interview day at FIU there was a financial session. They give something which I believe (if memory serves) they call a "tuition +" scholarship. After the presentation you have the chance to ask the lady questions on your own. I asked her about losing an income when I start med school, seeing as my fafsa will have over 40k extra listed the first year. I was told that since I was working right up to July, I would be kinda screwed. But she told me they were likely to give at least 20 tuition plus scholarships this year, so I shouldn't lose all hope if I was accepted.

Interesting.... I specifically asked about what kinds of scholarships and how many they had and this was not mentioned. Perhaps they confirmed these scholarships after I interviewed. I am in the same boat that I will be working up until I start school so I have been asking about scholarships at every school I interview. Thanks for the information!

Interesting.... I specifically asked about what kinds of scholarships and how many they had and this was not mentioned. Perhaps they confirmed these scholarships after I interviewed. I am in the same boat that I will be working up until I start school so I have been asking about scholarships at every school I interview. Thanks for the information!

I interviewed one week after you (9/10). We both interviewed very early, so it's possible that at your interview date they still didn't want to give any false (aka, not hammered out) information. I hope they're still planning to give those scholarships though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.