2010-2011 Loyola (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I REALLY loved this school! I was told on my interview date that they were meet on Feb. 7. I was wondering are all acceptances notified by phone call? If so, I just got a little sad....I haven't heard anything good or bad.

Members don't see this ad.

Hang in there you guys! Regarding acceptances going out this week, it may very well be that they're behind because of the ridiculous weather here last week. Many on the admissions committee are docs that had to reschedule a ton of patients from last week so who knows what could be going on.

Just keep :xf: and writing those letters of intent if you haven't heard back in awhile or have been waitlisted. You guys really seem awesome and I'd love to have you guys here next year!

...especially so we can whoop your class in the powder puff game next fall! (it's kinda a big deal) :smuggrin:

I REALLY loved this school! I was told on my interview date that they were meet on Feb. 7. I was wondering are all acceptances notified by phone call? If so, I just got a little sad....I haven't heard anything good or bad.

fear not, i got accepted here and didnt find out via phone, email, or online status update, i had to wait 6 days after the adcomm meeting to receive my snail mail letter because the meeting was right before thanksgiving (worth the wait), so the weather scenario is entirely likely

Members don't see this ad :)
Just invited to interview via phone call this morning. Complete in early September. OOS 3.98 35.

Interviewed 1/25. Accepted a few days ago YEY!:laugh:

I was traveling for an interview at another school when I got the good news so I didn't get a chance to post earlier. Insanely psyched! I actually liked Loyola MUCH more than the school I was interviewing at this week, even though it's supposedly a "higher ranked" program. (Loyola really sold me on the "go where you think you'll be happy and where you feel is the best fit for you). I'm about 90% sure I will go to Loyola, it was such a great interviewing experience and it's an AWESOME school.

I interviewed at Loyola back in the fall and I thought it was great. I'm trying to decide between here and a few other places. Finances are probably the biggest factor in my decision and I wanted to know, does Loyola have higher tuition rates during the third and fourth year (as other schools seem to)? The website just lists the tuition for one semester. Would this go up for the years where you're in school for 12 months?

Also, what is rent like in Maywood/the surrounding area where students live? Thanks

I interviewed at Loyola back in the fall and I thought it was great. I'm trying to decide between here and a few other places. Finances are probably the biggest factor in my decision and I wanted to know, does Loyola have higher tuition rates during the third and fourth year (as other schools seem to)? The website just lists the tuition for one semester. Would this go up for the years where you're in school for 12 months?

Also, what is rent like in Maywood/the surrounding area where students live? Thanks

Tuition-wise, afaik, all students pay the same tuition every year. This is why they only publish that years cost, as it applies to all four years. So no, I don't believe you pay more for 3rd and 4th year. Thus only the fee's will vary year-to-year (equipment cost, graduation fee, etc).

As far as rent, it depends on where you live and with how many people. I have a one bedroom apartment in Oak Park that is about 1000/month, split with one other person. There are a few other students in my building that have studio apartments for 700, and they live alone.

If you get a group of 4 together to rent a house in Oak Park or Forest Park, my guess is rent is about 450-700 per person depending on how many parking spaces and how nice of a home it is. We have several students who live downtown and commute farther - on average a more expensive route but I think at least some of them (or parents) own the property so it is fairly reasonable because of that.

In conclusion, clinical is the same cost as preclinical (feel free to call about this, it is just my educated guess) and rent can range from 300/month for a small place with a roommate to >1000 for a nice apartment with in-unit laundry, a fireplace (really nice when the power/heat went out last week during the catasnowphe) and no roommates

Does anyone know when the mailed letter for the most recent ADCOM meeting was sent, or if it has been sent?

When Dr. Muraskas called me on 2/7 he said it would get to me within the next few days. I know that is arbitrary but its the best I got :)!

Anyways, I have not received mine yet. Then again I am a West Coaster so maybe it will take a day or two longer to get here.

Tuition-wise, afaik, all students pay the same tuition every year. This is why they only publish that years cost, as it applies to all four years. So no, I don't believe you pay more for 3rd and 4th year. Thus only the fee's will vary year-to-year (equipment cost, graduation fee, etc).

As far as rent, it depends on where you live and with how many people. I have a one bedroom apartment in Oak Park that is about 1000/month, split with one other person. There are a few other students in my building that have studio apartments for 700, and they live alone.

If you get a group of 4 together to rent a house in Oak Park or Forest Park, my guess is rent is about 450-700 per person depending on how many parking spaces and how nice of a home it is. We have several students who live downtown and commute farther - on average a more expensive route but I think at least some of them (or parents) own the property so it is fairly reasonable because of that.

In conclusion, clinical is the same cost as preclinical (feel free to call about this, it is just my educated guess) and rent can range from 300/month for a small place with a roommate to >1000 for a nice apartment with in-unit laundry, a fireplace (really nice when the power/heat went out last week during the catasnowphe) and no roommates

Dan is right on. Tuition is CONSTANT and is not "by term". This is what makes Loyola the most affordable school in the Chicagoland area (yes, cheaper than UIC, U of C, NWU, etc.). Cost of living is actually very affordable. The key is to get a group of 2-3 people to live with and living in Oak Park and Forest Park is sweeeeet. It's a young and upscale neighborhood. Other people, like myself, live west of Loyola and there's affordable options there as well with even more of a suburban feel.

FWIW, as a general message to all those coming to Loyola, close to no one lives in Maywood (so don't rent there, not the safest place the further you move away from Loyola within Maywood), and Loyola is on the edge of Maywood as it is so the average commute is only about 10-15 minutes during rush hour from Oak Park or Forest Park-- in other words, not a bad commute at all. So good areas to look into in case you're scoping out places:

Oak Park, Forest Park, River Forest, Westchester, are all generally good options. There are more I can recommend if you don't mind a slightly longer commute (like me). Again, feel free to PM me more about this if you have any questions!

no phone call yet......not sure what to expect from the envelope in the mail :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Those of you who didn't get called -- don't lose hope! I didn't get a call either (or a status update online) and a full week after D-Day, I got an acceptance in the mail.

Also, the acceptance came in a "small envelope", much like a rejection letter. So don't toss it straight in the trash if you see one xD

Those of you who didn't get called -- don't lose hope! I didn't get a call either (or a status update online) and a full week after D-Day, I got an acceptance in the mail.

Also, the acceptance came in a "small envelope", much like a rejection letter. So don't toss it straight in the trash if you see one xD

"I see your acceptance and raise you a rejection!"

Thanks for the info :) and congratluations! Did you by chance see on SDN if they called other people in your review cycle?

They absolutely did, which made me a complete nervous wreck! I don't know how they decide who to call and who not to call. I think it's probably just random, though, and I bet they just don't realize there are a bunch of SDNers hanging off their every word :p

They absolutely did, which made me a complete nervous wreck! I don't know how they decide who to call and who not to call. I think it's probably just random, though, and I bet they just don't realize there are a bunch of SDNers hanging off their every word :p

Love this!!! and THANK YOU for posting. :)

Haha, np! It was nervewracking for me, so I wanna make it easier for others if I can :)

This whole process is so stressful though. Speaking of nervous wreck, I just called Loyola to make 100% sure they got my "Yes I want my spot!!!" letter.... LOL

Haha, np! It was nervewracking for me, so I wanna make it easier for others if I can :)

This whole process is so stressful though. Speaking of nervous wreck, I just called Loyola to make 100% sure they got my "Yes I want my spot!!!" letter.... LOL

Haha, sounds like we are two in the same! Hoping to be matriculating with you there this fall!

I got accepted through snail mail...no phone call...so there is still hope!

So what is the feel of Oak Park/Forest Park and how long does it take to get into Downtown from these areas. Are they fun places to live. What's the crowd like?

I got my snail mail acceptance today after a phone call on Monday. Still no invite to the second look day tho. I wonder if they only give out so many invites for it...

I got accepted through snail mail...no phone call...so there is still hope!

Congrats!!! Thank you, that gives me hope! I will just be patient and wait for snail mail. :D When did you interview?

So what is the feel of Oak Park/Forest Park and how long does it take to get into Downtown from these areas. Are they fun places to live. What's the crowd like?
Funnnnn places! Oak Park and Forest Park have the downtown feel without being downtown. These communities have a long and historic history. Oak Park is famous for its Frank Lloyd Wright designed buildings and is very young and happening. Forest Park is the same way. Lots of young people and lots of great nightlife. Each are just a blue line trip away from the city (15mins). Had a lot of post-test parties downtown, easy access.

Classy living, young atmosphere, close to school, close to the city-- it's an awesome way to live as a student. :thumbup:

I got my letter in the mail today, No phone call, but I am so glad to get it!!! I can't wait to meet everyone who has been accepted at second look! YAY! :D

Could someone remind me the date they would like the financial form? Thanks!

Hi All,

I just got my Second Date email and I was wondering -- do you think it's okay if I miss it? I am supposed to be flying to S.Africa that day and could change the plane ticket but it'd cost an additional $300, what do you guys think? Should I stay and go to the second date or should I just keep my ticket and miss the second date?

thanks!

I have similar thoughts about the second date. I aboslutely love Stritch but I live on the west coast and the plane ticket alone would cost just short of $400 and even more to get a hotel. I really want to go though... BBender or another current student do you have anything to offer about second look that might make it worth the $500 it would take to get me there?

I have similar thoughts about the second date. I aboslutely love Stritch but I live on the west coast and the plane ticket alone would cost just short of $400 and even more to get a hotel. I really want to go though... BBender or another current student do you have anything to offer about second look that might make it worth the $500 it would take to get me there?

Now I didn't go to any second looks, but my idea of them is that you have already been accepted, yes? If so, they just want you to come back in case you want to see it again or ask questions in person. In this case, come if you want to. But, you should already know everything since you were here and went on the tour already. And you could always just ask Bender or I.

If you have been wait-listed and invited back, that is a different story. But I still don't think it would matter much - the committee isn't going to be there, and I am sure that a well written update letter or letter of intent would do far more for you than coming back for another free lunch (and mug and sweet drawstring gym bag that were given out last year). No one wants you to go bankrupt while you apply (although it may seem that way) - just send an email saying you would love to come but won't be able to due to financial concerns.

Here's my reasoning: if Loyola is a distant first or way out of the running, second-look probably would not be worth it. If Loyola is in close contention with another school or in your "top 3", whatever the case may be, it would most definitely be worth while making the trip.

I would attend the second-looks of the top schools you are trying to decide between if the decision is difficult. The $1000 you spend all together on these trips (if there are 2-3 you are trying to decide between) will be most definitely worth it in this case. You are going to end up taking out over $100,000, most likely, wherever you decide to go. Why not spend an extra $500-1000 to make sure you are at the place you would be happiest? Loyola's second-look as well as others, give you a chance to scope out the school one more time, but even more importantly, give you a chance to see other acceptees that will potentially be your classmates.

I know it seems like a lot of money now, and it's easy for me to say now that I'm already $50,000 in the hole, lol but I really do urge you to consider coming to second look if Loyola is a serious consideration along with one or more other schools. Oh, and if a hotel is a concern or if Loyola doesn't cover it (I'm local so I don't remember if they do...), I can host if that's a concern!

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Hi All,

I just got my Second Date email and I was wondering -- do you think it's okay if I miss it? I am supposed to be flying to S.Africa that day and could change the plane ticket but it'd cost an additional $300, what do you guys think? Should I stay and go to the second date or should I just keep my ticket and miss the second date?

thanks!
FWIW, look at the advice I gave above. If you've already decided on Loyola, you've got an acceptance and you're good to go. They won't take it away or think bad of you; second-look can not hurt you if you decide not to come, though you will miss out on good food, times, and people! ;)

Why has this thread died? :(

I LOVE LOYOLA!! :D lol It's been quiet on here for too long...

For students at Loyola -- do you know if they have another interview day coming up this Tuesday, Wed or Thurs? I've been accepted and am actually going to be in the Chicago area for another interview this week, so I wanted to drop by for an unofficial second look since I might not be able to fly out for the real deal on Apr 1. I was thinking if they were holding interviews I could just tag along and ask questions with the interviewees.

For students at Loyola -- do you know if they have another interview day coming up this Tuesday, Wed or Thurs? I've been accepted and am actually going to be in the Chicago area for another interview this week, so I wanted to drop by for an unofficial second look since I might not be able to fly out for the real deal on Apr 1. I was thinking if they were holding interviews I could just tag along and ask questions with the interviewees.
Oh yeah. Interviews Monday-Saturday this week. :)

Two weeks from now (first week of March) may be different since we're on spring break. Either way, if you let me know when you're planning on being around, I'd be happy to answer and Qs or show you stuff if you want. :shrug:

ACCEPTED!! Interviewed last week! I am so excited, is there a loyola 2015 facebook group or anything like that? :D

Start one if there isn't! There aren't any rules. I just up and started one last year and now I'm stilling running the 2014 one, lol

ACCEPTED!! Interviewed last week! I am so excited, is there a loyola 2015 facebook group or anything like that? :D

We started one a bit back. The name of the group is:

Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, Class of 2015

So how do you guys suggest I go about finding a roommate/s

While staying with my student hosts they said Stritch puts together some sort of forum in the middle of the Spring (late April/May) so students can find roommates and such. I am sure there are other ways like through the Facebook group and such. Maybe a current student can chime in on this one?

I am personally holding off on finding a roommate right now because not everyone is dead set on going to Stritch or any school for that matter. It would suck to find a roomie only to have them (or you) ditch out for another school.

They do set up a forum in April/May where you can communicate with others about finding roommates. The facebook group is where a bunch of people got together from last year (feel free to start one if there isn't one already...). There are a TON of places in Oak Park/Forest Park so everyone will definitely have a place. Use the forum, use facebook, find someone at second look you get along with who is really looking at loyola as their first choice. That would be my recommendation!

Off topic but I was wondering if anyone had received late interview invites? They say their season continues through april but I've pretty much written this one off as a loss since my status has been unchanged since I mailed my secondary in. But, any late interviews for anyone?

Off topic but I was wondering if anyone had received late interview invites? They say their season continues through april but I've pretty much written this one off as a loss since my status has been unchanged since I mailed my secondary in. But, any late interviews for anyone?

Well I got an interview invite like 2 weeks ago and I have it scheduled for March 18th, which I think is pretty late but I hear that Loyola does leave acceptance spots for every interview "cycle" instead of a rolling admissions, which I figure all the spots would be taken by now. I was complete back in October so yeah, they take some time to get back so I totally wouldn't give up on Loyola just yet.

For current students or IL residents: My Mother and I plan on looking at potential apartments during the second look weekend. I wanted to know if you have any suggestions as to where we should look?

For current students or IL residents: My Mother and I plan on looking at potential apartments during the second look weekend. I wanted to know if you have any suggestions as to where we should look?

If you want to live near the campus then look at Oak Park and River Forest. Do not waste your time looking in Maywood. If you want to live closer to the city or IN the city, then imagine what kind of living situation you want (loft, apartment, condo, etc.) and how close you want to be to the city (downtown, west loop, northside, southside, etc).

Then you can call Chicago Apartment Finders or Apartment People Chicago... I'm pretty sure both of those places can help you find apartments in the oak park/river forest area. They are FREE services for anyone interested in renting. So call them up, tell them that you're a med student looking for housing... and make an appointment. The one thing I will say is know what you're looking for. I have used them in the past and they helped me find my apartment, but I went through two different agents. The first one was very frustrated with me because I wasn't sure what I was looking for... didn't know what area I preferred, the kind of housing, etc. The more specific you are, the better off you are... of course be willing to compromise on some things. You can also check out their websites and do a search of apartments that way. They keep the address/contact info hidden so you HAVE to go through them (the way it works is the person listing their apartment for rent pays the apartment finder company one month's rent if they can locate a renter).

Another free service you can use is Craigslist.

So to recap: Oak Park/River Forest is where most of the Stritch students live... and both of those areas are REALLY great places to be. That's where I would start my search.

Good luck!

-I'm not a student at Stritch but I know the place well.. and I'm a chicago resident

If you want to live near the campus then look at Oak Park and River Forest. Do not waste your time looking in Maywood. If you want to live closer to the city or IN the city, then imagine what kind of living situation you want (loft, apartment, condo, etc.) and how close you want to be to the city (downtown, west loop, northside, southside, etc).

Then you can call Chicago Apartment Finders or Apartment People Chicago... I'm pretty sure both of those places can help you find apartments in the oak park/river forest area. They are FREE services for anyone interested in renting. So call them up, tell them that you're a med student looking for housing... and make an appointment. The one thing I will say is know what you're looking for. I have used them in the past and they helped me find my apartment, but I went through two different agents. The first one was very frustrated with me because I wasn't sure what I was looking for... didn't know what area I preferred, the kind of housing, etc. The more specific you are, the better off you are... of course be willing to compromise on some things. You can also check out their websites and do a search of apartments that way. They keep the address/contact info hidden so you HAVE to go through them (the way it works is the person listing their apartment for rent pays the apartment finder company one month's rent if they can locate a renter).

Another free service you can use is Craigslist.

So to recap: Oak Park/River Forest is where most of the Stritch students live... and both of those areas are REALLY great places to be. That's where I would start my search.

Good luck!

-I'm not a student at Stritch but I know the place well.. and I'm a chicago resident
Add Forest Park to the list as well (the nicer areas of forest park). If you don't mind a slightly longer commute and you'd like a bit more of a suburban feel, go west and look into Oakbrook Terrace and southern Elmhurst. Great place for the wife/SO.

Is there anyone on here that has been accepted that is from the New England Area and wants to orchestrate an unofficial get together sometime in March before second look? You can PM me if you would like :D

Does anyone know if the MD/PhD accepted individuals are called or not?

Anyone from the west coast heading out for second look day?!

Status
Not open for further replies.