2010-2011 Loyola (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since it's Thursday I decided to go ahead and call about my status. They said that my file is complete and has been reviewed by the committee, and will be reviewed one more time before the end of March. In which case, I'm assuming, I'll either get an interview or be rejected. Possibily a good time to send an update/interest letter? I may just do that. I was complete sometime in October.

Members don't see this ad.

Decided to call them to see if I could be notified or not. They said my letter was in the mail!:xf:

Hi all!! I have an interview scheduled for March 5th (Saturday) and I was wondering if anyone knew how long the interview day typically lasts.

I am trying to book my airfare, and the cheapest flight (i.e. the one I want to book) leaves from Midway at 5:15pm. I know that the school recommends to not schedule flights before 5:30pm on Saturday interview days, but I was wondering if booking this flight would pose a major problem (either to the school itself or the logistics of making it to the airport in time).

If anyone could provide some insight, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all!! I have an interview scheduled for March 5th (Saturday) and I was wondering if anyone knew how long the interview day typically lasts.

I am trying to book my airfare, and the cheapest flight (i.e. the one I want to book) leaves from Midway at 5:15pm. I know that the school recommends to not schedule flights before 5:30pm on Saturday interview days, but I was wondering if booking this flight would pose a major problem (either to the school itself or the logistics of making it to the airport in time).

If anyone could provide some insight, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much!! :)
You'll be fine. Saturday there is MUCH less traffic.

I was accepted Feb 8, signed and returned my admissions declaration form but I haven't gotten any other emails besides the invite to second look day. On the website, there's a prematriculation check list and it says there's an "acknowledgment form" as well as a "transcript inventory form" and I'm wondering if anyone has received these yet, or if this is something to expect later on? Does anyone know about these?

I have been complete since September but haven't heard back since. Is no news good news?? :xf:

Received my letter from Loyola today. I was placed on the Alternate/Waitlist. Does anyone know if the admissions office will tell you approximately where you are on the list??? Thanks!

Hi all,
Everyone has been so helpful about housing - thank you!
I have another housing question:
I'm accepted at Loyola and 90% sure I'm attending :-D however, I have just been offered a little research expereince in South Africa that I took, but it goes until late June. Will I have a hard time finding housing because of this? I'm scared that the places close by will all be taken by the time I get back.

Thanks for your input!

I was on the waitlist last year and tried to find out my position on the list, but they don't tell you.

If I remember correctly, Loyola doesn't give a number score or rank their alternate list, they evaluate people in the pool as spots become available. Due to this, they can't give you your position because there isn't one. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure this is the case. Someone who knows more or better please correct me if I am wrong.

Hi all,
Everyone has been so helpful about housing - thank you!
I have another housing question:
I'm accepted at Loyola and 90% sure I'm attending :-D however, I have just been offered a little research expereince in South Africa that I took, but it goes until late June. Will I have a hard time finding housing because of this? I'm scared that the places close by will all be taken by the time I get back.

Thanks for your input!

You will be fine. I spent 2 days looking, and you can use the oak park regional housing center and have a place locked in a day. There are very few locations really close to school (almost no one lives in Maywood) and Oak Park and Forest Park have LOTS of available housing year round.

I have an interview at Loyola tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone knew if the admissions office can store luggage for the interviewers.

Thanks in advance!! :)

I have an interview at Loyola tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone knew if the admissions office can store luggage for the interviewers.

Thanks in advance!! :)
Ohhh chyeah they do.

does anyone know if they are still handing out interviews or are they done? because i am still in completed and waiting status

Members don't see this ad :)
Hang in there you guys! Regarding acceptances going out this week, it may very well be that they're behind because of the ridiculous weather here last week. Many on the admissions committee are docs that had to reschedule a ton of patients from last week so who knows what could be going on.

Just keep :xf: and writing those letters of intent if you haven't heard back in awhile or have been waitlisted. You guys really seem awesome and I'd love to have you guys here next year!

...especially so we can whoop your class in the powder puff game next fall! (it's kinda a big deal) :smuggrin:

I cannot believe I just got rick rolled on SDN...!

I was wondering if anyone could explain the grading system to me at Loyola. I asked some students on my tour and I don't think I ever really got a clear answer. Are the separations between honors, high pass, etc. based on a straight scale (i.e. everyone could honors as long as everyone got above some arbitrary number) or is it based on standard deviations and percentile (for example only top ten percent of the class honors). If anyone could shed light on this that would be great!

I was wondering if anyone could explain the grading system to me at Loyola. I asked some students on my tour and I don't think I ever really got a clear answer. Are the separations between honors, high pass, etc. based on a straight scale (i.e. everyone could honors as long as everyone got above some arbitrary number) or is it based on standard deviations and percentile (for example only top ten percent of the class honors). If anyone could shed light on this that would be great!

Hey Mickey,

Grading depends on the course. For PCM, it's just Pass/Fail. For biochem, if my memory serves me correct, it was on a fixed scale (so everyone could have honored/high passed). For anatomy, physiology, path, etc, generally a 70% is passing. Some classes lower that to 67% (pharmacology). Usually high pass is if you are above the mean, and honors is above one standard deviation above the mean.

Actually, anatomy is also on a fixed scale. Basically A/B/C corresponds to the honors/high pass/pass.

I have been placed as an alternate, so I put a good amount of time into a letter of interest. Does anyone know what your chances are of coming off the waitlist?

I know that Loyola doesn't require accepted students to put a deposit down to hold a spot, so I'm thinking that maybe some people are holding spots without a 100% commitment to attend??

Any word from those still waiting for interviews?

When I called last week Thursday, they said that within a week or so they would be reviewing certain applications (mine included) for a final, interview-or-rejection decision. Anyone get any good news lately?

Any word from those still waiting for interviews?

When I called last week Thursday, they said that within a week or so they would be reviewing certain applications (mine included) for a final, interview-or-rejection decision. Anyone get any good news lately?

Ahh! Sounds like we are in the same re-review pile. They told me "sometime in March," but they told you within a week. Hmm. I guess we just wait and see...GOOD LUCK TO US. I just feel honored to have been re-reviewed instead of rejected at first glance! :luck::xf::luck:

Ahh! Sounds like we are in the same re-review pile. They told me "sometime in March," but they told you within a week. Hmm. I guess we just wait and see...GOOD LUCK TO US. I just feel honored to have been re-reviewed instead of rejected at first glance! :luck::xf::luck:

Well perhaps I am also in that group because I have been waiting....although not very long compared to some of you probably I was complete early December but still haven't heard anything :sleep:

I have been placed as an alternate, so I put a good amount of time into a letter of interest. Does anyone know what your chances are of coming off the waitlist?

I know that Loyola doesn't require accepted students to put a deposit down to hold a spot, so I'm thinking that maybe some people are holding spots without a 100% commitment to attend??

It all depends on the year. A few years ago, Stritch saw as high as 15-20% of their class come in off the waitlist, whereas last year there was barely any movement at all. (I was on it last year).

I wish you the best. :luck:

Hey all, I'm new to SDN.

I got an interview invite from Loyola earlier this week for early April.

Does anybody know how full the class is at this point?

I'm starting at Loyola this coming year (accepted in October) and just finished a week of apartment hunting in Oak Park and Forest Park. Feel free to ask me any questions about where I looked because it is definitely stressful.

I just put in an application for a studio (12-1300/month) at the Oak Park Place apartments in downtown Oak Park. Most of the city is "vintage" apartments which are old and pretty run down so I was looking for something new and this was one of the few I found. I saw 7 or 8 apartments and this was the best. Apparently lots of Loyola students and hospital residents live here, so many that they actually host a Loyola party at the beginning of the year for the apartment complex so everyone can get to know each other!

I'm starting at Loyola this coming year (accepted in October) and just finished a week of apartment hunting in Oak Park and Forest Park. Feel free to ask me any questions about where I looked because it is definitely stressful.

I just put in an application for a studio (12-1300/month) at the Oak Park Place apartments in downtown Oak Park. Most of the city is "vintage" apartments which are old and pretty run down so I was looking for something new and this was one of the few I found. I saw 7 or 8 apartments and this was the best. Apparently lots of Loyola students and hospital residents live here, so many that they actually host a Loyola party at the beginning of the year for the apartment complex so everyone can get to know each other!
You will be partying your behind off the first week of orientation. Seriously. Between the entering M1s setting up house parties and M2s throwing a bunch of parties for the M1s, there will literally be ridiculousness almost every night, lol

For any of the med students following the thread.. could you give more info on the curriculum? is it systems based? how do you like semesters vs. quarters? How often are exams?
Thanks!

For any of the med students following the thread.. could you give more info on the curriculum? is it systems based? how do you like semesters vs. quarters? How often are exams?
Thanks!
Curriculum is block based, meaning we focus on typically one subject area at a time (at least for most of M1), then in M2 its more traditional, with multiple courses at once.

Semesters vs. quarters in medical doesn't really make a difference to me... but exam frequency is great first year to get you acclimated. We have approximately 1 test every 4 weeks-ish, which is really pretty typical.

In general, the curriculum is set up wonderfully to get students acclimated to medical school before driving them into the ground. You get to learn how you learn best in medical school before stuff really hits the fan. :thumbup:

It all depends on the year. A few years ago, Stritch saw as high as 15-20% of their class come in off the waitlist, whereas last year there was barely any movement at all. (I was on it last year).

I wish you the best. :luck:

Just got my alternate list letter in the mail today. I too was on the waitlist last year and am definitely hoping it moves more this year compared with last year!

Hey all, I'm new to SDN.

I got an interview invite from Loyola earlier this week for early April.

Does anybody know how full the class is at this point?

My understanding is that it is full and they are filling up their waitlist. I contacted one of my interviewers after recently receiving notice that I was an alternate, in order to see if they could tell me what part(s) of my application were lacking, so I could shore them up in the meantime. They informed me that it was simply a matter of the class being full already.

hmm thats a bit odd, I was told at my interview just a week back that there were still spots, and loyola does not (emphasized) interview for alternate positions. They make sure to have spots until the end for everyone to have a chance at a "love letter". so who knows anymore!

hmm thats a bit odd, I was told at my interview just a week back that there were still spots, and loyola does not (emphasized) interview for alternate positions. They make sure to have spots until the end for everyone to have a chance at a "love letter". so who knows anymore!

Yeah, I was told the same thing. But, when I emailed my interviewer their response was that the class was just full.

I was actually told the same thing (that there were no more seats left) by my interviewer when I interviewed late February in 2009. After my interview, I met Dean Jones who mentioned that there were in fact still spots, and a week later I received an acceptance letter. My friend interviewed in late March/early April, and was also given a straight acceptance.

While I can't say for sure, most likely there are definitely still spots left--there just aren't many. Your odds of getting a straight acceptance unfortunately do go down the later you interview, since there are fewer spots left, but as mentioned, Loyola doesn't interview for the wait-list. I would imagine that the interviewer was mistaken.

Thanks for the responses. Hopefully I'll make a shining impression at the interview!

Does anybody know the best way to get from Loyola to Midway Airport after interviewing?

(Sorry if this has already been addressed. I searched previous threads but didn't find anything.)

Does anybody know the best way to get from Loyola to Midway Airport after interviewing?

(Sorry if this has already been addressed. I searched previous threads but didn't find anything.)[/]

Personally my student hosts were awesome and drove me back. I know that you can schedule a cab or a Super Shuttle to pick you up from your hotel/Stritch. You can schedule either by just going on either services' website.

So, I am about 98% sure that I am going to Loyola and I am starting to look for a place to live. I've heard a lot of wonderful things about Oak Park and Forest Park. But what about Berwyn? I've found a couple of listings that seem nice and are in my price range there, but I've never heard anyone talk about living there. I know a lot about chicago, but not so much about this side of town. Can anyone give me a little insight?

I would advise against Berwyn. It's better than Maywood, but not a super great place to live in terms of safety, community, etc. Which is why it's probably looking like you can get "more for less" in terms of rent. I'd recommend sticking with River Forest, Forest Park, Oak Park, and Westminster (if you haven't looked into that yet!).

Does anyone know when Loyola officially stops interviewing and if they are still offering invitations? I have been complete and under review since JULY and have also sent updates and called a few times to no avail...

I would advise against Berwyn. It's better than Maywood, but not a super great place to live in terms of safety, community, etc. Which is why it's probably looking like you can get "more for less" in terms of rent. I'd recommend sticking with River Forest, Forest Park, Oak Park, and Westminster (if you haven't looked into that yet!).

Where is Westminster, Il? I've never heard of that town. Thanks

Where is Westminster, Il? I've never heard of that town. Thanks
Sorry, Westchester, lol Currently looking at a house to purchase on a Westminster Street, hahaha sorry!

:lol Thanks. I was wondering how in the heck have I missed this place all of these years. Good luck with the house. And yes Westchester is nice.

So, I am about 98% sure that I am going to Loyola and I am starting to look for a place to live. I've heard a lot of wonderful things about Oak Park and Forest Park. But what about Berwyn? I've found a couple of listings that seem nice and are in my price range there, but I've never heard anyone talk about living there. I know a lot about chicago, but not so much about this side of town. Can anyone give me a little insight?

I know at least three couples who live in Berwyn, and I've never heard any complaints from them about the city. I think they chose to live in Berwyn because the rent was more within their means. I live in Oak Park, a few blocks north of Berwyn, and go into Berwyn a number of times to go down to shops/restaurants and never felt like my safety was in question. My wife goes grocery shopping there. That doesn't necessarily translate into it's safe to live there, but I would think Berwyn is still safer than most of the city of Chicago.

I also take "shortcuts" (they're not actually shortcuts... unless there's construction) through Berwyn quite a bit to get to class, and the northwest part (north of Cermak, west of Ridgeland) of the city seems nice. I wouldn't recommend living on a busy street like Harlem though.

I'd agree with BBender that the popular places to live are Oak Park, North Riverside River Forest, Westchester, and Forest Park.

Still, if you want to live in Berwyn and want to make sure to avoid any bad areas (every city has them), PM me with your e-mail and I can get you in contact with my friend/classmate in Berwyn.

Status
Not open for further replies.