2010-2011 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got into MSU and I'm strongly considering going to it, but I'm a bit concerned because it seems like less students end up going into specialties here (compared to the match list I've seen in other schools). I'm wondering, how often do MSU students match into one of their top 3 residency choices - does anyone know? I really enjoyed the atmosphere at MSU, but I'm hesitant because I'm just worried about residency and the likelihood I'll match into whatever field I end up choosing to be in! Anybody have some insights that they'd care to share?

MSU is on par with the rest of the country, in that, approximately 80% of applicants match into one of their top 3 choices.

There is no real or imagined pressure to go into primary care at all, but MSU does look for specific types of applicants, personality-wise, whether they are interested in primary care or not.

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed 03/31, wait-listed this morning. Swift verdict.

Congrats to all the accepted, and hopes for strong arms as the rest of us continue to hang in there.

I got into MSU and I'm strongly considering going to it, but I'm a bit concerned because it seems like less students end up going into specialties here (compared to the match list I've seen in other schools). I'm wondering, how often do MSU students match into one of their top 3 residency choices - does anyone know? I really enjoyed the atmosphere at MSU, but I'm hesitant because I'm just worried about residency and the likelihood I'll match into whatever field I end up choosing to be in! Anybody have some insights that they'd care to share?

MSU is on par with the rest of the country, in that, approximately 80% of applicants match into one of their top 3 choices.

There is no real or imagined pressure to go into primary care at all, but MSU does look for specific types of applicants, personality-wise, whether they are interested in primary care or not.

Plenty of classmates have matched into Ortho from CHM. Where you are from does play a role in regards to residency, but there are more important issues like board scores and letters of rec. Ortho is a tough one! No matter what school you go to there is no guarantee.

Members don't see this ad :)
Plenty of classmates have matched into Ortho from CHM. Where you are from does play a role in regards to residency, but there are more important issues like board scores and letters of rec. Ortho is a tough one! No matter what school you go to there is no guarantee.

Hey, I'm at CHM - not sure if you thought I was asking about it but I was trying to answer the other post. I have the match list & who's going where, thanks! ;)

Interviewed 03/31, wait-listed this morning. Swift verdict.

Congrats to all the accepted, and hopes for strong arms as the rest of us continue to hang in there.

Hmm, I was interviewed 3/17 and still have not heard anything back. Looks like next decision is late April, so I guess I will have to wait some more.

Hmm, I was interviewed 3/17 and still have not heard anything back. Looks like next decision is late April, so I guess I will have to wait some more.

They state somewhere on the website that the applicants they review every decision date is semi-random. Meaning that they don't explicitly say "OK, let's have the applicants from 03/17 today" . . . at least that's what I took from it.

Best of luck, and be sure to let us know when you get the good-news-phone-call :)

Anesthesiology
U California Hosps-SF San Francisco, CA
WSU/Detroit Med Ctr Detroit, MI
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Med Ctr Lebanon, NH
Cedars-Sinai Med Ctr Los Angeles, CA
Univ Michigan Hosps Ann Arbor, MI
Harbor-UCLS Med Ctr Torrance, CA

Dermatology
U New Mexico Sch of Med Albuquerque, NM

Emergency Medicine
Univ Michigan Hosps Ann Arbor MI
Strong Memorial Hosp Rochester NY
Baystate Medical Center Springfield MA
MSU-Kalamazoo Center Kalamazoo MI
Beth Israel Med Ctr New York NY
Medical Ed & Research Ctr Grand Rapids, MI
U Cincinnati Hospital Group Cincinnati OH
Summa Health/NEOUCOM Akron OH
Carolinas Med Ctr Charlotte NC
Sparrow Hospital/MSU Program Lansing, MI
Maricopa Med Ctr Phoenix AZ
Christ Hosp Oak Lawn IL

Family Medicine
Medical Ed & Research Ctr Grand Rapids, MI
McGaw Med Ctr-NW Univ Chicago, IL
Tripler Army Med Ctr Tripler AMC HI
Oregon Health Sciences U Portland, OR
Beth Israel Med Ctr New York, NY
St Marys Fam Prac Res Grand Junction, CO
Marquette General Hosp Marquette MI
U Cal-Davis Med Ctr Sacramento, CA
Univ Wisconsin Med Sch Madison, WI
U California-Irvine Orange, CA
Wayne State Univ SOM Detroit MI

General Surgery
U Fla Med Ctr-Shands Gainsville FL
WSU/Detroit Med Ctr Detroit MI
UMDNJ-RW Johnson Piscataway NJ
Indiana University SOM Indianapolis IN
Univ of Arizona Tucson AZ
Michigan State Univ Program East Lansing MI
Nassau University Medical Ctr East Meadow NY
Maine Medical Center Program Portland ME
Univ of Southern California Los Angeles CA

Internal/Emerg Med
SUNY HSC Brooklyn Brooklyn NY

Internal Medicine
St Josephs Hospital Denver CO
Mayo Grad Sch of Medicine Rochester MN
U Illinois COM-Chicago Chicago IL
Ohio State Univ Hosp Columbus OH
Rush-Presby-St Lukes-IL Chicago IL
Hosp of Univ of PA Philadelphia PA
Huntington Memorial Pasadena CA
Gundersen Med Fnd-WI La Crosse WI
Cleveland Clinic Fdn Cleveland OH
Scripps Clin/Green Hosp La Jolla CA
Kaiser Permanente Santa Clara CA
Univ of Colorado SOM Denver CO
Med Ed & Research Ctr Grand Rapids MI
Emanuel/Good Samaritan Portland OR
UPMC Shadyside Pittsburgh PA
Kaiser Permanente Oakland CA
St Mary Medical Center Long Beach CA
Virginia Mason Hosp Seattle WA
Henry Ford Health Sci Ctr Detroit MI
Metrohealth Med Ctr Cleveland OH
Lahey Clinic Burlington MA
UCLA Medical Center Los Angeles CA

IM/Pediatrics
Stony Brook Teach Hosps Stony Brook NY
Good Samaritan Phoenix AZ
WSU/Detroit Med Ctr Detroit MI

Neurology
Sparrow Hospital/MSU Program Lansing MI

OB/Gyn
Kern Medical Center Bakersfield CA
Harbor-UCLS Med Ctr Torrance CA
Sinai Hosp Baltimore MD
Med Ed & Research Center Grand Rapids MI
Palmetto Richland Memorial Hosp Columbia SC
U Louisville SOM Louisville KY
Univ Kentucky Med Ctr Lexington KY
White Memorial Medical Ctr Los Angeles CA
St John Hosp & Med Ctr Detroit MI
William Beaumont Hospital Royal Oak MI
U Wisconsin Hosps/Clinics Madison WI
Good Samaritan Phoenix AZ

Ophthalmology
(yes, 2 different people)

Orthopedic Surgery
U Cal-Davis Med Ctr Sacramento CA
Univ of Colorado SOM Denver CO

Otolaryngology
Ohio State Univ Hosp Columbus OH
SUNY-Health Sci Ctr Syracuse NY

Pathology
Univ Hlth Ctr Pittsburgh PA

Pediatrics
Rush-Presby-St Lukes Chicago IL
U Fla Med Ctr-Shands Gainsville FL
Childrens Natl Med Ctr Washington DC
Med College of Virginia Richmond VA

Peds/Emerg Med
Univ of Arizona Program Tucson AZ

Peds/Psych/Child Psych
Univ Hlth Ctr Pittsburgh PA

Phys Medicine & Rehab

Psychiatry

Psychiatry/Family Prac

Radiology Diagnostic
Oakwood Hospital Dearborn MI
U TX SW Med School Dallas TX
St Joseph Mercy Hospital Pontiac MI
Oakwood Hospital Dearborn MI

Transitional
St Mary Mercy Hospital Livonia MI

Vascular Surgery
Univ Alabama Hosp Birmingham AL

Last edited:
I decided to not hold the acceptance. I hope it makes someone's day. :)

Was just placed on the alternate list. Looks like I better start making plans for re-applying again next year.

I just withdrew my acceptance. Hopefully my seat goes to someone deserving!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been referred to the ABLE program? If so, have you heard anything back yet? Thanks

I've been on the alt. list since February so I have decided to start a cheerleading section for all of us to get in after May 15th. Who's in?

LETS GO WAITLISTERS!!!!

Any rate, I wanted to congratulate the new round of acceptances and to assure others not to loose heart, I haven't yet.

I've been on the alt. list since February so I have decided to start a cheerleading section for all of us to get in after May 15th. Who's in?

LETS GO WAITLISTERS!!!!

Any rate, I wanted to congratulate the new round of acceptances and to assure others not to loose heart, I haven't yet.

Like.

Does anyone know where I can find an email/facebook group for the class of 2015???

I need to find a roommate in GR! Anyone interested ???

Thanks :) I don't know why it was so hard for me to find the group

^^^That's what I'm wondering as well. Being considered for ABLE but have heard nothing since the recommendation. A friend of mine is also being considered but has heard nothing since consideration way back in January. Last I heard from them was that decision-making was different this year due to the Director being out on sick leave. I hope they don't wait until the very last day to make the final decision.

^^^That's what I'm wondering as well. Being considered for ABLE but have heard nothing since the recommendation. A friend of mine is also being considered but has heard nothing since consideration way back in January. Last I heard from them was that decision-making was different this year due to the Director being out on sick leave. I hope they don't wait until the very last day to make the final decision.

When did you get your supplemental materials in? My transcripts and stuff were in by May 3rd. Mrs Moeller told me they've been preoccupied with graduation (Which was yesterday)and that we should hear back this upcoming week hopefully.

When did you get your supplemental materials in? My transcripts and stuff were in by May 3rd. Mrs Moeller told me they've been preoccupied with graduation (Which was yesterday)and that we should hear back this upcoming week hopefully.

My stuff was turned in early April (not sure of the exact date). Since then nothing, so hopefully they make a decision this week like you said. There isn't much time to get up and move with the program starting June 17th.

I can't get over my good fortune, but I was accepted off the alternate list this morning! CHM is absolutely where I will be attending and I feel so lucky to have heard so quickly after May 15. To those still waiting, best of luck.

I can't get over my good fortune, but I was accepted off the alternate list this morning! CHM is absolutely where I will be attending and I feel so lucky to have heard so quickly after May 15. To those still waiting, best of luck.

Congrats!

Congrats all around!

Would you mind sharing if you're in state, out of state, and what campus you were accepted to (if you know that information)?

Also, was it a phone call, or email, possibly both?

Congrats all around!

Would you mind sharing if you're in state, out of state, and what campus you were accepted to (if you know that information)?

Also, was it a phone call, or email, possibly both?

I'm a Michigan resident and I was placed on the alternate list in December. I'll re-link my mdapplicants account now that I have been accepted for stats and such.

I filled out a campus preference form this morning, so I'm not sure what campus I will be at. I was accepted via email yesterday around 1pm central time.

I'm a Michigan resident and I was placed on the alternate list in December. I'll re-link my mdapplicants account now that I have been accepted for stats and such.

I filled out a campus preference form this morning, so I'm not sure what campus I will be at. I was accepted via email yesterday around 1pm central time.

Thanks for this info, and congratulations once again! :)

Did anyone hear from MSU about the ABLE program? I thought we were going to find out this week.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I was placed at EL today. I preferenced GR but the email I received this morning informed me that GR is currently full. However, I'm sure there will be some movement at the GR campus before classes start in the fall. I am excited about EL anyways!

I was accepted this morning off of the alternate list, Jay Bryde called me to share the good news and I almost fell off my chair!
MSU CHM Class of 2015 -wow........
in case readers are wondering
I am OOS and SUPER nontrad....I will be the oldest member of this class for sure! and I am ok with that!!!

I was accepted this morning off of the alternate list, Jay Bryde called me to share the good news and I almost fell off my chair!
MSU CHM Class of 2015 -wow........
in case readers are wondering
I am OOS and SUPER nontrad....I will be the oldest member of this class for sure! and I am ok with that!!!

Congrats, Supisak!

Just in case anyone is wondering, I was placed at EL today. I preferenced GR but the email I received this morning informed me that GR is currently full. However, I'm sure there will be some movement at the GR campus before classes start in the fall. I am excited about EL anyways!

FYI, I was reassigned to GR today. I was not expecting that! This all seems too good to be true. MSU CHM class of 2015. GR baby!

FYI, I was reassigned to GR today. I was not expecting that! This all seems too good to be true. MSU CHM class of 2015. GR baby!

Congrats! Me too! Except that I was JUST about to pull myself off the GR waitlist when I got the email. Now I have a day to decide and accept/reject the assignment (I think EL is generally the more open class these days).

Anyone want to give me arguments for GR? It would mean living at home for four years. Right now that sounds terrible but my current med student friends assure me it will be very convenient. Also, I grew up here...didn't completely love it. I know the research opps are better and there is a gorgeous building.

Anyone? I don't want to get in my own way bc this is my hometown.

Thanks!

This may be a dumb question, but I don't want anything to screw up my CHM acceptance...

Anyway, I was just accepted via email to another school. I am going to send them an email politely declining. I have heard that you can't hold more than one acceptance after 5/15, so is there anything that I need to do on CHM's end to reaffirm that I will be attending?

This may be a dumb question, but I don't want anything to screw up my CHM acceptance...

Anyway, I was just accepted via email to another school. I am going to send them an email politely declining. I have heard that you can't hold more than one acceptance after 5/15, so is there anything that I need to do on CHM's end to reaffirm that I will be attending?

nope

Congrats! Me too! Except that I was JUST about to pull myself off the GR waitlist when I got the email. Now I have a day to decide and accept/reject the assignment (I think EL is generally the more open class these days).

Anyone want to give me arguments for GR? It would mean living at home for four years. Right now that sounds terrible but my current med student friends assure me it will be very convenient. Also, I grew up here...didn't completely love it. I know the research opps are better and there is a gorgeous building.

Anyone? I don't want to get in my own way bc this is my hometown.

Thanks!

A lot of class in GR right now grew up in GR or at least the metro area. I know how you feel about getting out, but first, remember this is only where you'll be doing you're preclinical years (well you might be here for all 4 but you don't HAVE to be), and second, it is a much nicer building. Going up to school rather then to a basement is nice :). But EL has it's pros as well, so you can't go wrong.

Anyone here anything about the waitlisters?

ABLE acceptance this morning. Anyone else hear anything?

Accepted off alternate list today by phone. First acceptance!!!

:soexcited::soexcited:

Status
Not open for further replies.