-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2010-2011 Michigan State University Application Thread
Started by ksmi117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Where can I find the match list?! I am so excited to see it!
http://mdadmissions.msu.edu/pdfs/residency.pdf
Is there any SDN-esque conspiracy theory about what it means if you're invited to interview at one campus over another? A quick look didn't show anything and I doubt there is, but was interested nonetheless.
Thanks!
Not at all, just the date of the interview. They have been set for months, so thats just how you fell.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That link is last years list.
Not sure when this years will be made "public"
Highlights
Optho, Medicine, Neuro, Psych at Mayo
Multiple Ortho matches some in CA schools
Multiple Radiology, and Anesthesia matches
1 Derm Match
Many other primary care students going to "big name" programs.
If your curious about any specific specialties I would be happy to type some of them out.
Not sure when this years will be made "public"
Highlights
Optho, Medicine, Neuro, Psych at Mayo
Multiple Ortho matches some in CA schools
Multiple Radiology, and Anesthesia matches
1 Derm Match
Many other primary care students going to "big name" programs.
If your curious about any specific specialties I would be happy to type some of them out.
Oh I decided to post it anyways because the previous post only included up to 2010 in the pdf.
Think Disinence was talking about the post above yours 🙂 The one you posted has the hospitals though not the specialty.
Think Disinence was talking about the post above yours 🙂 The one you posted has the hospitals though not the specialty.
Haha, I thought so. I knew it said 2011.
I got into MSU and I'm strongly considering going to it, but I'm a bit concerned because it seems like less students end up going into specialties here (compared to the match list I've seen in other schools). I'm wondering, how often do MSU students match into one of their top 3 residency choices - does anyone know? I really enjoyed the atmosphere at MSU, but I'm hesitant because I'm just worried about residency and the likelihood I'll match into whatever field I end up choosing to be in! Anybody have some insights that they'd care to share?
That link is last years list.
Not sure when this years will be made "public"
Highlights
Optho, Medicine, Neuro, Psych at Mayo
Multiple Ortho matches some in CA schools
Multiple Radiology, and Anesthesia matches
1 Derm Match
Many other primary care students going to "big name" programs.
If your curious about any specific specialties I would be happy to type some of them out.
I got into MSU and I'm strongly considering going to it, but I'm a bit concerned because it seems like less students end up going into specialties here (compared to the match list I've seen in other schools). I'm wondering, how often do MSU students match into one of their top 3 residency choices - does anyone know? I really enjoyed the atmosphere at MSU, but I'm hesitant because I'm just worried about residency and the likelihood I'll match into whatever field I end up choosing to be in! Anybody have some insights that they'd care to share?
I would be happy to share my thoughts with you.
I think the lower proportion of students going into specialties is simply a result of student choice. MSUCHM is heavily focused on primary care. They seem to prefer applicants who are interested in primary care.
I want to go into primary care myself. This is one of the reasons CHM is my first choice school. I think a good foundation in primary care would be a plus to any residency program. However, that is just my opinion. I have no evidence to back that up.
Hey all-
Could anyone comment on the international opportunities available at MSU CHM? I'm really interested in both working in clinics abroad during winter/spring/summer breaks and potentially even doing rotations abroad. I've also heard of people extending their stays at medicals school to incorporate more experience abroad.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Angie
Could anyone comment on the international opportunities available at MSU CHM? I'm really interested in both working in clinics abroad during winter/spring/summer breaks and potentially even doing rotations abroad. I've also heard of people extending their stays at medicals school to incorporate more experience abroad.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Angie
Almost everyone i know has spent some time abroad.
Right now I have friends in china and Spain. Other common choices are costa rica, and Honduras.
During 4th year you have electives which can be international.
Right now I have friends in china and Spain. Other common choices are costa rica, and Honduras.
During 4th year you have electives which can be international.
I would be happy to share my thoughts with you.
I think the lower proportion of students going into specialties is simply a result of student choice. MSUCHM is heavily focused on primary care. They seem to prefer applicants who are interested in primary care.
I want to go into primary care myself. This is one of the reasons CHM is my first choice school. I think a good foundation in primary care would be a plus to any residency program. However, that is just my opinion. I have no evidence to back that up.
Thanks for the info. Anybody else have any thoughts on this issue?
Almost everyone i know has spent some time abroad.
Right now I have friends in china and Spain. Other common choices are costa rica, and Honduras.
During 4th year you have electives which can be international.
Oh that's good to know. I'm interested in doing some rotations internationally, so that's definitely a big plus for me!
Interviewing this Thursday at MSU CHM. I'm from Salt Lake City, UT and I arranged the flight times so I will have the evening after the interview to either relax, or explore a tiny bit of East Lansing.
Any advice on where may be an interesting place (restaurant, pub, etc) to visit before returning to the city-of-salt from those who interviewed and made the choice to see a bit of the town before their return flight home?
Congrats to all of those accepted thus far, and best of luck to all of us still playing the waiting game.
Any advice on where may be an interesting place (restaurant, pub, etc) to visit before returning to the city-of-salt from those who interviewed and made the choice to see a bit of the town before their return flight home?
Congrats to all of those accepted thus far, and best of luck to all of us still playing the waiting game.
I got into MSU and I'm strongly considering going to it, but I'm a bit concerned because it seems like less students end up going into specialties here (compared to the match list I've seen in other schools). I'm wondering, how often do MSU students match into one of their top 3 residency choices - does anyone know? I really enjoyed the atmosphere at MSU, but I'm hesitant because I'm just worried about residency and the likelihood I'll match into whatever field I end up choosing to be in! Anybody have some insights that they'd care to share?
School's original mission was primary care focused, but never have I felt pushed towards primary care. People go into each and every specialty from MSU, it is just a matter of what you want to do and it happens that a lot of students at MSU want to go into primary care.
Was just emailed this video last night. Talks about the college as a whole but it's pretty cool and the Secchia center gets a plug:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTnZgfpT6M0
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Almost everyone i know has spent some time abroad.
Right now I have friends in china and Spain. Other common choices are costa rica, and Honduras.
During 4th year you have electives which can be international.
Perfect, thanks!
i interviewed on march 24th, and i have a question for the people who already got accepted. On the decision date when you got your acceptance call, what did your status say at the msuchm status page during the day?
+1
I interviewed on March 24th, and I have a question for the people who already got accepted. On the decision date when you got your acceptance call, what did your status say at the MSUCHM status page during the day?
My status was not updated until after I received the call. The rest of the evening was a blur, so I don't remember exactly when my status was updated online.
I interviewed on March 24th, and I have a question for the people who already got accepted. On the decision date when you got your acceptance call, what did your status say at the MSUCHM status page during the day?
I'm pretty sure that they don't change the status page until the next day (i.e. you receive the call, and then everyone accepted/wl/decline gets updated the next day).
I got word that I was placed at the GR campus next year! Unfortunately, I didn't write down some of the popular apartments in the area. Does any current student or recent interviewee (who is a compulsive note-taker or has an absurd memory) know what some recommended/popular places were?
I also got word today that I've been placed in GR (which is the campus I preferred). Does anyone know when we start hearing more about financial aid?
+1
I submitted my FAFSA pretty late, so I was wondering if anyone had heard anything. The website says they send out offers starting in March. I was planning on giving them a call when I update my FAFSA as an excuse to ask, but any insight is appreciated!
+1
I submitted my FAFSA pretty late, so I was wondering if anyone had heard anything. The website says they send out offers starting in March. I was planning on giving them a call when I update my FAFSA as an excuse to ask, but any insight is appreciated!
I haven't heard anything yet. Has anyone gotten their personal identification number (or whatever it's called!) that they talked about in the acceptance letter?
+1
I submitted my FAFSA pretty late, so I was wondering if anyone had heard anything. The website says they send out offers starting in March. I was planning on giving them a call when I update my FAFSA as an excuse to ask, but any insight is appreciated!
This is the answer I received to that question about a week ago:
"Our first notifications for medical students are expected early to mid April. Hopefully it will be early April."
Anyone on the alternate list heard anything yet? I know it's early. Just curious.
Anyone on the alternate list heard anything yet? I know it's early. Just curious.
I heard back two days ago.
News is coming ... hopefully, I actually have no idea how they handle their waitlist.
GOOD LUCK!!
woops
Last edited:
I heard back two days ago.
News is coming ... hopefully, I actually have no idea how they handle their waitlist.
GOOD LUCK!!
Did you get bumped off the alternate list, or were you accepted outright? Cuz I have yet to hear from them since interviewing in February. Makes me wonder too how they are handling their waitlist.
Did you get bumped off the alternate list, or were you accepted outright? Cuz I have yet to hear from them since interviewing in February. Makes me wonder too how they are handling their waitlist.
I remember something about letting them know if you have not heard from them 6 weeks after your interview. There is another notification date next week. If you have not heard from them after that comes and goes, I would give them a call.
I interviewed in February also and heard from them on March 1.
Don't worry about Financial Aid. Even though CHM is freakishly expensive, the Fin Aid department is excellent. They will tell you when you need to start working on stuf
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't worry about Financial Aid. Even though CHM is freakishly expensive, the Fin Aid department is excellent. They will tell you when you need to start working on stuf
why is it so expensive btw??
like i found this kind of weird...does anyone know?
why is it so expensive btw??
like i found this kind of weird...does anyone know?
Are you referring to the OOS tuition? I thought the IS tuition was reasonable for medical school.
So how do acceptances normally occur (i.e. email or call and from whom)? I may have just been accepted but am not sure, and probably wasn't (yes that's possible haha).
What happened? I received a call from an Admissions Dean on the evening of the decision date.
I will keep my fingers crossed for you that it really is an acceptance!

What happened? I received a call from an Admissions Dean on the evening of the decision date.
I will keep my fingers crossed for you that it really is an acceptance!![]()
![]()
I'm positive I have missed this fact buried in the thread somewhere, but do you have the URL handy for the list of decision dates? I interviewed March 31st and they didn't have time to cover this information as we were running a little bit late on the morning presentation.
I've also tried searching for these dates on the MSU CHM website, but never seem to be able to locate it.
Congrats to all of those accepted, and best of luck to the rest with decisions coming up.
Here are the 2011 decision dates:I'm positive I have missed this fact buried in the thread somewhere, but do you have the URL handy for the list of decision dates? I interviewed March 31st and they didn't have time to cover this information as we were running a little bit late on the morning presentation.
I've also tried searching for these dates on the MSU CHM website, but never seem to be able to locate it.
Congrats to all of those accepted, and best of luck to the rest with decisions coming up.
2011
January 11
January 18
February 1
February 8
February 15
February 22
March 1
March 8
March 15
April 5
April 26
May 3
Here are the 2011 decision dates:
2011
January 11
January 18
February 1
February 8
February 15
February 22
March 1
March 8
March 15
April 5
April 26
May 3
Thanks premed!
Out of curiosity: Are these dates posted on the website, SDN, or if you interviewed, were they covered during the morning lecture for your group?
Thanks premed!
Out of curiosity: Are these dates posted on the website, SDN, or if you interviewed, were they covered during the morning lecture for your group?
They are on the CHM website and on SDN. I copied them into a google doc for myself because they are hard to find on CHM's website.
Thanks premed!
Out of curiosity: Are these dates posted on the website, SDN, or if you interviewed, were they covered during the morning lecture for your group?
FYI, I think the dates on the website have changed. I believe notification dates are on Wednesdays now.
Edit: here you go! Right off the website.
Decision Notification Dates
2011
January 11
January 18
February 1
February 8
February 15
February 22
March 1
March 8
April 6
April 27
May 4
why is it so expensive btw??
like i found this kind of weird...does anyone know?
If you are referring to OOS tuition it's about the same as a lot of large public universities tuition for OOS students. Colorado, Wayne, Illinois all come to mind with similar tuitions. It just has to do with the money schools get from the state government.
Decision Notification Dates
2011
January 11
January 18
February 1
February 8
February 15
February 22
March 1
March 8
April 6
April 27
May 4
You are right. Here is the link:
http://mdadmissions.msu.edu/applicants/process/process2.php
Accepted!! got the call at 722pm. interviewed on 03/24. Good luck to anyone waiting.
ACCEPTED!!!!!!! Got the call at 4:07 California time (7:07 Michigan time)!!! Interviewed 3/17. Im so happy! 😍 😍 😍😀 😀 😀
Good luck to everyone still waiting!
Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got a call at about 5:15 California time. I probably won't attend, as I have been accepted to a more affordable school. Good luck all. 🙂
Is there a second look type event for MSU?
CHM's Second Look Day is on Friday, April 22. The deadline has passed for requesting a spot, but I would suggest calling or emailing the admissions office to see if there are any spots still open.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
!