2010-2011 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im IN!!! got the call last night at 6:56

Members don't see this ad.

Officially IN!! Interviewed 1/14 @ GR campus and got the call last night!!! :love::love:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am interviewing at MSU and one of the items that they are requesting from me is a wallet-sized photo. All I have are some casual snapshots of myself. Should I get a more formal photo taken or just use one that I already have?:confused:
Good luck with your interview! I interviewed in GR on 1/14 and just brought an old photo. Just make sure it looks "professional" as in there isn't anything in the background and that you just focus in on your face! If you absolutely can't find one that seems to work, then resort to having a friend taking one for you. I don't think it's that big of a deal!

Yayyyy! Just got an invite via email 10 mins ago. I was put on pre-interview hold back in Oct. It's for March 24th, which is kinda late, but I don't care. Just happy and thankful that I got a shot at all. And I'm from Michigan, so IS.

I just got an interview invite as well for March 17. I was never put on pre-interview hold was just complete and forwarded for preliminary review since October. I am from Michigan so In-State.

Silent since complete notice in early October.... Rejected?

Silent since complete notice in early October.... Rejected?

I don't know, it sounds like Elle was in the same spot we were... maybe they're just starting to mull over the 'hold-before-decision' candidates?

Surely we don't have much longer until we reach the point of no return, but I wouldn't count yourself out quite yet.

Wouldnt worry 2 much. I finished in Late October.

Just got my invite to interview in GR on the 24th

IS btw

Officially IN!! Interviewed 1/14 @ GR campus and got the call last night!!! :love::love:

Congrats! So they didn't contact you until now? As in, they didn't put you on the alternate list or anything before being accepted? You just interviewed, then weeks later, accepted?

Waitlisted.
InState.
interview 1/1/11

I think my MCAT score hurt me here (it dropped two points the second time I took it).

It's a bit strange because I've been accepted at another school that has higher stats than MSU (not that stats matter, CHM is an awesome school!) But this just proves that getting into medical school is a so ambigious.

congrats to everyone that got accepted!!
To those waitlisted - congrats as well! It's not a rejection!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!!! What a feeling it must be to get accepted :) Do you have any tips for those of us who are interviewing at MSU in the upcoming week. What is the best way to prep?

I know everyone says this and I was told it many time before my interview, but make sure to be yourself. That said, make sure you know your AMCAS application inside and out and be sure to do research on the school and their mission. Connecting your experiences with the values and beliefs of CHM can only help you. I felt that the interviewers were looking to see how you fit with the school's mission and the current student body. The interview itself was very relaxed and conversational. Good luck on your interview and good luck to all those with upcoming interviews! :thumbup:

"Your Current Status is Remain Under Consideration for Interview." How long should I be waiting for them to re-review my app. This has been my status for about two months now since my app was first reviewed. Has anyone else been through this, and what are my chances, realistically, to still be invited for an interview if they didn't invite my after the first review of my app?

Have they sent out rejections pre-interview or are they silent. I've been complete since late Sept. and not a word. :scared:

Have they sent out rejections pre-interview or are they silent. I've been complete since late Sept. and not a word. :scared:

Same here. Are you out of state? I think they take longer with our applications.

Same here. Are you out of state? I think they take longer with our applications.

Yep OOS Ca but its weird not even a hold or anything. Hopefully good news then...

I've been complete since 8/9 and still no word either, no hold or anything. I'm also a CA resident. So you're not alone!

EDIT: Nevermind, found the answer :)

Yeah I have yet to hear a word from them. I don't get it. i wish schools that really don't want us would stop wasting our time and reject us already rather then waiting to tell us til the end of the cycle. Maybe I'm just pessimistic that I've already assumed that the no news is indication of an eventual rejection like the poster that asked about silent rejections. But I guess I'll find out soon. I think it was this thread where someone said it looks like next week or the last week of feb will be news of new invites based on the previous year's thread on here. Guess we will know soon enough.

Yeah Guju I see what you definitely mean. But I guess what would be the point of having a secondary? They would have to make a widely known 3rd barrier/cutoff. I kind of wish the whole med school apps process was just shorter in general.

Yeah Guju I see what you definitely mean. But I guess what would be the point of having a secondary? They would have to make a widely known 3rd barrier/cutoff. I kind of wish the whole med school apps process was just shorter in general.

Me too, although I'm not sure how much of that medical schools can alter. I think the competitive nature of medical school application has a significant hand in why schools have a long, painstaking filtering process: there's so many of us, how else would they give us all proper consideration in a respectful manner? The primary, the secondary, the interview, and the alternate list are the medical schools' response to the massive volume of pre-med applicants.

Me too, although I'm not sure how much of that medical schools can alter. I think the competitive nature of medical school application has a significant hand in why schools have a long, painstaking filtering process: there's so many of us, how else would they give us all proper consideration in a respectful manner? The primary, the secondary, the interview, and the alternate list are the medical schools' response to the massive volume of pre-med applicants.

If anything I suppose they would have to hire to more staff to sift through applications. I feel they could still shorten the process. Possibly by having more interview days, more interviewees on a single interview day, reject faster. I'm pretty sure if they wanted to, they could shorten the entire process. I think the length of this process makes it hard on reapplicants b/c they might be in limbo and won't know if they should reapply or not.

I'm pretty sure if they wanted to, they could shorten the entire process. I think the length of this process makes it hard on reapplicants b/c they might be in limbo and won't know if they should reapply or not.

Yes, medical schools know that they have a monopoly and therefore have no incentive to move faster. Did anyone on SDN consider not applying to a school just because of how long the response times were?

Compare this to D.O schools (like MSUCOM) - since D.O. is less desirable, they are forced to be more responsive. Also look at the very top tier of M.D. schools, who compete amongst themselves for the best candidates in the pool and so try to be much more transparent. Remember Michigan and their med admissions twitter account?

Schools at the bottom like MSU-CHM know that most of their applicants aren't too spoiled for choice, and so they can afford to take their time.

Yes, medical schools know that they have a monopoly and therefore have no incentive to move faster. Did anyone on SDN consider not applying to a school just because of how long the response times were?

Compare this to D.O schools (like MSUCOM) - since D.O. is less desirable, they are forced to be more responsive. Also look at the very top tier of M.D. schools, who compete amongst themselves for the best candidates in the pool and so try to be much more transparent. Remember Michigan and their med admissions twitter account?

Schools at the bottom like MSU-CHM know that most of their applicants aren't too spoiled for choice, and so they can afford to take their time.

I agree with most of your theory, however your example of MSUCOM is not accurate. Unless you have been accepted or waitlisted you will not receive any form of communication from them until May. Read the MSUCOM forum to see how many applicants are disgruntled about this lack of information. I would not classify this as "very responsive."

Rejected Pre Interview.
Complete 9/15
Hold for interview 12/08
Rejected 2/15

5 months between complete to rejected - that is way too long... I have interviewed at great schools so far, but I was expecting to hear good news from here as well, so it is kinda disappointing. This application process is so weird... This is just a confirmation that stats are not everything.

Good luck everyone who is still in the running.

Last edited:
I just want to congratulate all who got accepted and wish the ones who are waiting best of luck. For those who got rejected, I hope you get your opportunity in a different school :)

Since many haven't interviewed yet, I figured I could share my experience and hopefully be of help.
The interview with the Dr was suppose to be for only 30 min. However, he went over many things in my application that put us almost at an hour mark. Honestly, my stats aren't the greatest. I had a terrible MCAT score (below 30) but high GPA 3.96. I tried my best in the interview to steer away from promoting myself academically, rather I was trying to explain to him why I'm compatible with the school.
If you want more specific info, don't hesitate to ask ..

for those who got accepted, which campus did you choose in the preference form?

I was wondering if anyone knows how many OOS applicants are interviewed, and out of these how many are actually accepted?

Thanks in advance!

Congrats! So they didn't contact you until now? As in, they didn't put you on the alternate list or anything before being accepted? You just interviewed, then weeks later, accepted?

Yup! It's pretty funny actually... I submitted my secondary very late...

Secondary: Oct 31
Processed: Nov 2
Interview Invite: Dec 7
Interview: Jan 14
Accepted: Feb 8

It was all very back to back. Interview invite within a month, interviewed a month later, and accepted 3 weeks later.

I just want to congratulate all who got accepted and wish the ones who are waiting best of luck. For those who got rejected, I hope you get your opportunity in a different school :)

Since many haven't interviewed yet, I figured I could share my experience and hopefully be of help.
The interview with the Dr was suppose to be for only 30 min. However, he went over many things in my application that put us almost at an hour mark. Honestly, my stats aren't the greatest. I had a terrible MCAT score (below 30) but high GPA 3.96. I tried my best in the interview to steer away from promoting myself academically, rather I was trying to explain to him why I'm compatible with the school.
If you want more specific info, don't hesitate to ask ..

for those who got accepted, which campus did you choose in the preference form?

Pm'd you some questions. :)

I'm sorry but the fact that you put MSU-CHM at the bottom kind of ticked me off...MSU CHM is actually ranked #7 in the nation for primary care so maybe they may not be ranked number one on your list in regards to what you're looking for but it's pretty high on the list of people who are actually looking at going into primary medicine

and btw..I interviewed at the end of September and was accepted less than a month afterwards, so they do not make everyone wait...they have to take more time at the end of the season to make sure they make the right decisions with people filling up the remaining spots they have left in the class

I'm still trying to find out information on the ABLE program. I have an interview invite but it's specifically for the ABLE program and possible direct admittance into the class of 2012 assuming I maintain good academic standing in the ABLE courses. Looking for more info...??

let it be known that high rankings by US News in primary care doesn't translate to the primary care field.....more so it is an indication that their physicians are better trained to take histories, conduct a medical interview, etc. by the time they hit rotations in their 3rd year. It just means they get better clinical exposure earlier than peers at other medical schools. Please correct me if I am wrong.

and btw..I interviewed at the end of September and was accepted less than a month afterwards, so they do not make everyone wait...they have to take more time at the end of the season to make sure they make the right decisions with people filling up the remaining spots they have left in the class

yeah it's not a bad school. but they do kinda make people wait. they're semi-rolling. some have barely waited whiles others have been waiting for awhile.

I'm sorry but the fact that you put MSU-CHM at the bottom kind of ticked me off...MSU CHM is actually ranked #7 in the nation for primary care so maybe they may not be ranked number one on your list in regards to what you're looking for but it's pretty high on the list of people who are actually looking at going into primary medicine

Actually, COM is the one that's ranked #7, CHM is closer to #25 (in PC)

Either way, those rankings are only what you make of them.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to find out information on the ABLE program. I have an interview invite but it's specifically for the ABLE program and possible direct admittance into the class of 2012 assuming I maintain good academic standing in the ABLE courses. Looking for more info...??

Here you go:
http://mdadmissions.msu.edu/specialPrograms/ABLE/able.php

Pretty good deal for those who are admitted. It might even help you beef up your USMLE score, since you'll get to see the relevant material one extra time.

let it be known that high rankings by US News in primary care doesn't translate to the primary care field.....more so it is an indication that their physicians are better trained to take histories, conduct a medical interview, etc. by the time they hit rotations in their 3rd year. It just means they get better clinical exposure earlier than peers at other medical schools. Please correct me if I am wrong.

correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it good training that makes a good doctor for the most part? and clinical exposure is key isn't it? I'm sorry if I believe that they are good at preparing their physicians for this field, obviously we have different viewpoints on what makes for a good medical education that is all

and sorry if I got the rankings confused but I think 25 out of the approx 133 MD schools in the country isn't too shabby...I just found it offensive that on a thread for the medical school people were bashing the program, I think there is time and place for everything and talking down on the program in a place where accepted people are going to be reading is just a little harsh.:)

correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it good training that makes a good doctor for the most part? and clinical exposure is key isn't it?
Valid point, but let's look at orders of magnitude before we make hasty conclusions. To my knowledge, COM students begin their patient interactions (at least on a superficial level) about one semester earlier than most other schools. Now, considering that every school requires at least 2 years pt. interaction (rotations), plus another three years of residency (for an unspecialized GP), I don't think that an early semester of patient interaction is an enormous advantage.

I just found it offensive that on a thread for the medical school people were bashing the program
I can't speak for everyone on the thread, but I don't think that any MD school is terrible. It is fair to say that some are better than others, but a student with enough grit can prosper in even the 'worst' schools (and I'm NOT saying that CHM is a bottom-barrel school). On a side note, most SDNers generally consider research rankings by default when they refer to 'rankings' (which is why CHM is a 'lower-tier' school). Again, rankings are not anywhere near the top of the priority list when residency directors are choosing between candidates.

Complete 9/14/10
Invited 1/12/11
Interviewed 2/3/11
Alternate Listed 2/16/11

Nice turn around time, wonder if they will be taking anyone off the list this year.

Complete 9/14/10
Invited 1/12/11
Interviewed 2/3/11
Alternate Listed 2/16/11

Nice turn around time, wonder if they will be taking anyone off the list this year.

I think they will. What I'm wondering is, how long should we expect to wait before they pull from the list?

Here you go:
http://mdadmissions.msu.edu/specialPrograms/ABLE/able.php

Pretty good deal for those who are admitted. It might even help you beef up your USMLE score, since you'll get to see the relevant material one extra time.

Thanks! But I've seen the website for it. I was looking for more details as far as class size and specific courses. But ya you're right! I'm really interested which is why I want to find out more info. My stats are mediocre so this would definitely help me out.

Thanks! But I've seen the website for it. I was looking for more details as far as class size and specific courses. But ya you're right! I'm really interested which is why I want to find out more info. My stats are mediocre so this would definitely help me out.

They mentioned this program during my interview in the presentation they gave about the school. The only other details that aren't mentioned on the website that I'm aware of is that during the year students in the ABLE program build on their science foundation. They do take some of the same classes as the students starting their first year. That way when students in the ABLE program begin in the matriculating class the following year, they have already seen some of the information and adjusted to the classes/course load.

I'm not sure of much else :/ I hope this helps!

Hmm, well I managed to find this old page of theirs as well:
https://www.msu.edu/~hcop/able.htm

In 2006, the class size was 11 (up from 8 in 2003). The curriculum is simply a variety of upper level undergraduate courses (presumably biochem, physio, microbio, electives) for a total of 24 credits. Unfortunately, I was unable to find the GPA/MCAT combos for acceptees, though I suspect if you've already been granted an interview then you are at least competitive.

Best of luck with your interview!

i am definitely not bashing or disagreeing with you that great training results in better doctors and the more clinical exposure the better; i just wanted to clarify that the ranking for primary care isn't a correlation for the fields of primary care. Sorry for the confusion; MSU has a great program that anyone should feel lucky attending including myself. At the end of the day, we all want to be trained and help our fellow man and woman; am I correct?

correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it good training that makes a good doctor for the most part? and clinical exposure is key isn't it? I'm sorry if I believe that they are good at preparing their physicians for this field, obviously we have different viewpoints on what makes for a good medical education that is all

and sorry if I got the rankings confused but I think 25 out of the approx 133 MD schools in the country isn't too shabby...I just found it offensive that on a thread for the medical school people were bashing the program, I think there is time and place for everything and talking down on the program in a place where accepted people are going to be reading is just a little harsh.:)

Does anybody know exactly what sort of classes can count toward the English requirement? The chm website indicates that they need to be writing intensive. I'm wondering if a class in the Classics department would count?

I'll call admissions later today and ask them, but I'm curious if anyone here has an answer. My school is on the quarter system and I register for spring classes on Monday. If my Classics class doesn't count toward the English requirement then I will need to take an English class this spring (in case I'm accepted) to fulfill the requirement.

My status page still says:
"Your application is complete and has been forwarded to the review committee for a preliminary review. Thank you for your patience as we carefully consider your application."

Anyone know if this is normal?
I submitted in late October....Should I contact the admissions office?

"Your application is complete and has been forwarded to the review committee for a preliminary review. Thank you for your patience as we carefully consider your application."

+1 - calling didn't really get me anywhere...

+2, I've had that status since 8/9. I haven't called though, it says on the status page something along the lines of "the admissions office cannot give you more info regarding your status, please be patient." sounds like they discourage calls for status inquiries.

+2, I've had that status since 8/9. I haven't called though, it says on the status page something along the lines of "the admissions office cannot give you more info regarding your status, please be patient." sounds like they discourage calls for status inquiries.

That is correct. They will tell you nothing more when you call. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.