2010-2011 Ohio State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird question. During my interview, they said they were looking for a new dean. I assume that's to replace one of the deans who are leaving? Dean Capers is here to stay right?

Members don't see this ad.

Weird question. During my interview, they said they were looking for a new dean. I assume that's to replace one of the deans who are leaving? Dean Capers is here to stay right?

Yeah it's the dean of the medical school they are replacing I think, not Dr. Capers.

For those of us who didn't get called, does anyone know when the medstar online is supposed to update?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of us who didn't get called, does anyone know when the medstar online is supposed to update?

I believe early monday morning. 2 or 3 a.m. EST. Nobody got called today yet? Maybe he's still sleeping :D

I'm sitting at the same table in the same cafe studying the same subject on the same day of the week where I got his call about the interview.... just in case that helps.

Any calls since last night by chance? Maybe he didn't finish the pile and will go through the rest tonight :xf:.

i never got a call re: my interview, so im hoping the lack of a call now is nothing to worry about

Any calls since last night by chance? Maybe he didn't finish the pile and will go through the rest tonight :xf:.
Not here. That'd be impressive if he got through all of the acceptance calls last night. I noticed several of the people who were accepted were from the west or middle US with not many from the east coast. Maybe he waited to call the east coast since it was the latest here? :xf: Who knows, hopefully we will hear more soon.

Not here. That'd be impressive if he got through all of the acceptance calls last night. I noticed several of the people who were accepted were from the west or middle US with not many from the east coast. Maybe he waited to call the east coast since it was the latest here? :xf: Who knows, hopefully we will hear more soon.

I need to stop reading this thread. I'm gonna go out, have some beers, and enjoy my weekend.

It appears there are to be no calls today?

Yeah it's the dean of the medical school they are replacing I think, not Dr. Capers.

Correct. Dr. Souba, Dean of the College of Medicine and Vice President and Executive Dean of Health, is leaving to go to Dartmouth.

And congrats to all of those who have been accepted.

I can't believe I missed the call!! I went to bed at 2:00 EST (friday night/saturday morning) and it rang at 2:30, and I didn't get to my phone fast enough. Well, nonetheless, Dr. Capers left a wonderful voicemail, and I'm basically 99% going here, so I look forward to seeing some of you next year!!
My status update still doesn't show it yet either, so I'd recommend to not worry about it until Monday, if you haven't heard anything. I was kind of in the mode of expecting to wait until Monday as it was, or else I would have had my phone right next to my head!

Members don't see this ad :)
Online status is updated on medstar - not good news for me...

Yep, the status updated without sending an email, which is strange. Sorry Bobthedoc, but if it's a Hold, don't give up hope!

At this time, we have decided to defer a final decision on your application until we have had the opportunity to review more applicants.

As mentioned on your interview day, we make admission decisions each week. Your application will be reviewed periodically to determine if the decision will be upgraded. We will notify you by e-mail when your status changes. Until that time, your status will remain the same. We ask for your patience as we work through our process. In the interim, feel free to update us on significant changes in your portfolio, such as an "A" grade in a challenging course, a research publication, etc.

If you're on hold, really do not lose hope of getting an acceptance. I know of somebody a few years ago who got deferred in October and accepted a month later (and the individual was a strong applicant). And remember, OSU has an acceptance rate of ~60%, so there is a great chance you'll still get that phone call.

Good luck!

I spent these last two days being depressed and staying glued to the couch watching TV. Never got the call from Capers. I figured I would bounce back tomorrow and start focusing on my next interview.

Then I checked my status and it said accepted. WTF? Is this real?

I spent these last two days being depressed and staying glued to the couch watching TV. Never got the call from Capers. I figured I would bounce back tomorrow and start focusing on my next interview.

Then I checked my status and it said accepted. WTF? Is this real?

Congrats, that is awesome, nice surprise eh?

Accepted! Somehow got no phone call (and spent all weekend freaking out) but hey the status doesn't lie!

the admission criteria now says we have 2 weeks to accept or reject admission

That seems pretty quick to decide if we are for sure going here or not.

I think 2 weeks is pretty standard for most schools, but it's not "for sure" as you can withdraw later.

It's to reserve your spot, you can reserve a spot in as many schools as you like until may 15th

Anyone know how long it normally takes to go from "secondary application received" to "application complete" or to go under-review/interview invite? I've been on Thanks "secondary application received" for about 3 weeks and I know I should be more patient, but the wait is Killing Me Softly =)

If all you folks who got accepted could go ahead and reject the offer, us deferred folks would really appreciate it to have no competition :) Thanks!

Anyone know how long it normally takes to go from "secondary application received" to "application complete" or to go under-review/interview invite? I've been on Thanks "secondary application received" for about 3 weeks and I know I should be more patient, but the wait is Killing Me Softly =)

Mine was all within around two days. I submitted my secondary on a Sunday and was invited to interview on Monday (the next day). On Tuesday (two days later) my status changed to complete. They are usually pretty quick about marking people complete. That was earlier in the cycle though they have far more applications now so maybe it will take them longer? I don't know.

What do you mean being marked "complete"

I submitted my secondary in early august and it still says "Secondary Received"

I called yesterday and the lady I spoke with said they dont mark applications as complete and just say "received" - is that what you meant? or did it actually get a "complete" next to it

i am so confused.

What do you mean being marked "complete"

I submitted my secondary in early august and it still says "Secondary Received"

I called yesterday and the lady I spoke with said they dont mark applications as complete and just say "received" - is that what you meant? or did it actually get a "complete" next to it

i am so confused.

I am still marked as "secondary received" so if what chrisoc13 said was true, I will have to give them a call to see if there is a difference between received and complete. Thanks guys.

I am still marked as "secondary received" so if what chrisoc13 said was true, I will have to give them a call to see if there is a difference between received and complete. Thanks guys.

Does it say it is complete on the medstar page? It is separate from the secondary application.

So... I haven't received (if I am going to....) an interview invite or rejection from OSU. I submitted my secondary back in early September. I have a 33/3.77. Shouldn't I have at least been given an interview, I'm instate....?

I just noticed that they don't have the anatomy requirement anymore, and I want to apply to OSU

However, it is late in the cycle, and I want to know if applying to OSU is worth my time and money. What do you guys think? Should I apply?

btw, OOS (Michigan), GPA 3.7 (Science and non-science), MCAT 34

I am wondering this myself?

I don't know the process really. I received an interview invite the day after I submitted my secondary so maybe there was a complete status but I am not 100% sure. Looking back through my emails I got two emails saying "status update" the day after I was called for an interview.

I meant to say my status changed to "interview Offered" not complete. I apologize for that, I typed it without thinking. So I guess I don't really know if there is a complete status. Sorry.

However, it is late in the cycle, and I want to know if applying to OSU is worth my time and money. What do you guys think? Should I apply?

Good news. I'm OOS & I submitted my secondary a couple of weeks ago and got an interview invite yesterday. It looks like they have a quick turn around on apps.

Bad news. I am interviewing in early Feb. I checked last year's OSU thread and from first glance it appears that more waitlist offers were handed out than acceptances to us late applicants. That's my generalized impression based on a small sample of posts.

I'm an average # applicant.

Hope that helps.

Good news. I'm OOS & I submitted my secondary a couple of weeks ago and got an interview invite yesterday. It looks like they have a quick turn around on apps.

Bad news. I am interviewing in early Feb. I checked last year's OSU thread and from first glance it appears that more waitlist offers were handed out than acceptances to us late applicants. That's my generalized impression based on a small sample of posts.

I'm an average # applicant.

Hope that helps.

call the office to see if any spots open up periodically

I don't know the process really. I received an interview invite the day after I submitted my secondary so maybe there was a complete status but I am not 100% sure. Looking back through my emails I got two emails saying "status update" the day after I was called for an interview.

I meant to say my status changed to "interview Offered" not complete. I apologize for that, I typed it without thinking. So I guess I don't really know if there is a complete status. Sorry.

There is no complete status, I called. :\ The lady I talked to said OSU is still giving out interviews and there are spots left... I am guessing those spots are all in March and those people mostly get rejected/waitlisted. Sigh......

I just noticed that they don't have the anatomy requirement anymore, and I want to apply to OSU
Damn. I wished they had done this earlier. I definitely would have applied if that were the case.

Has anybody received the snail-mail correspondence package with the $25 deposit form? I heard back last week, and I was just curious if anyone has gotten it yet.

Has anybody received the snail-mail correspondence package with the $25 deposit form? I heard back last week, and I was just curious if anyone has gotten it yet.

Not yet. I was starting to wonder when that is going to come.

I know. It was one of my dream schools, and what they did is 100% ridiculous.

The requirement was brought up at my interview. Basically Dr. Capers said they noticed that students who had taken anatomy in college had an easier transition into anatomy in medical school, so they decided to make it a requirement. They soon found out that many schools simply do not offer anatomy. As a result they took it down as a requirement. They strongly suggest taking anatomy before matriculating but it is no longer a requirement simply because too many schools do not even offer it.

Not yet. I was starting to wonder when that is going to come.

Good to hear I'm not alone; thanks.

I know. It was one of my dream schools, and what they did is 100% ridiculous.

The requirement was brought up at my interview. Basically Dr. Capers said they noticed that students who had taken anatomy in college had an easier transition into anatomy in medical school, so they decided to make it a requirement. They soon found out that many schools simply do not offer anatomy. As a result they took it down as a requirement. They strongly suggest taking anatomy before matriculating but it is no longer a requirement simply because too many schools do not even offer it.

I think they took down the requirement pretty quickly, and people on these forums talked about it once it happened. I'm not sure what the big deal is :confused:. But, sorry ColdCase for missing out on the opportunity to apply here. Since you're from Michigan (as am I), at least you have some other good choices :thumbup:

Is there a status page?

And also, does anyone know how many interview invites they will probably give out? Spots seemed to be filled up to Feb...

Anyone else really nervous for tomorrow? I'm going to be on one extreme of the emotional scale by the end of the day, that is for sure.

Anyone else really nervous for tomorrow? I'm going to be on one extreme of the emotional scale by the end of the day, that is for sure.

I think it should be noted that this person is emotionally unstable and unfit to be a doctor.

Don't worry. I'll be there. It will be fine, and I'll bring a paper bag for you. :)

Last edited:
does anyone know around what time we can hope to get the call tonite? is it still late in the evening or earlier for us?

does anyone know around what time we can hope to get the call tonite? is it still late in the evening or earlier for us?

I'm confused... why is everyone expecting calls all of the sudden this week? They started accepting people last Saturday... why is there suddenly expected to be a rush of calls again today?

Status
Not open for further replies.