2010-2011 University of Alabama Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm searching for the deadline for LORs to be in. Somewhere I got in my head it was November 15th (same as the secondary), but now I can't seem to find where I saw that at. And the office wasn't helpful the last time I contacted them, so I'd rather not email/call them.

Anyone confirm that date or know the correct one?

Thanks! And congrats to those of you accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

Has UAB sent out any interviews lately?

Wow, quiet in here lately! Anyway, I've been reading through this thread and haven't noticed any rejection posts yet. Is this one of those schools that just does a "silent" rejection? My status has been "Application Complete and Under Review" for 6 weeks now. Unfortunately it seems several of us are in that boat. It just seems to me that they have the options of "Reviewed, Remain Under Consideration" and "Reviewed, No Further Consideration," so why don't they use them? I would rather know where I stand than be led to believe my file still hasn't even been reviewed... :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview 10/28. Got my acceptance e-mail today finally! Can't wait to meet everyone! Class of 2015 : )

Wow, quiet in here lately! Anyway, I've been reading through this thread and haven't noticed any rejection posts yet. Is this one of those schools that just does a "silent" rejection? My status has been "Application Complete and Under Review" for 6 weeks now. Unfortunately it seems several of us are in that boat. It just seems to me that they have the options of "Reviewed, Remain Under Consideration" and "Reviewed, No Further Consideration," so why don't they use them? I would rather know where I stand than be led to believe my file still hasn't even been reviewed... :confused:

Hey, I'm an MS2 at UAB. Just to fill you in. No, UAB does not do silent rejections, but you will not be rejected until they have made final decisions and the class is full. Sometime in April they will send out the last invite to fill the class, and at that same time they will also send out waitlist and rejections emails. Even if you applied with a 19 MCAT and a 2.0 GPA, you won't be rejected until final decisions are made in April. Hope this helps.
Disclaimer: they may have changed admissions procedures since I was applying but I don't believe so.
If anyone has anymore questions, let me know.

Withdrew pre-interview, best of luck to those applying!

Stats [for what they're worth]
OOS
36P
3.8 BCPM
3.5 overall (engineering + bio double major, cs classes = GPA killer)

Interview 10/28. Got my acceptance e-mail today finally! Can't wait to meet everyone! Class of 2015 : )
Hey how was the interview and how much time between the submission of your secondary and the interview so that I have an idea on when to check my email? Thanks.

Hey how was the interview and how much time between the submission of your secondary and the interview so that I have an idea on when to check my email? Thanks.

I've been wondering the time delay in getting an interview, too.

Hey I was there on 10/28 as well...looks like we may be classmates!! There's a facebook page for UASOM Class of 2015 that you may want to join also!

I submitted my secondary on a Wednesday, and got an interview invite the next week on Thursday. However, now that it is getting close to the secondary deadline, it will probably take longer. It'll come - Good luck!

Does anyone know if South and UAB have a non-compete? I heard from a friend who interviewed at South that last year there were 10 dual-acceptances and 8 chose South. That part doesn't bother me except that there were ONLY 10 double acceptances?

South accepted me by snail mail on October 19 and the letter was dated the day after my interview (interviewed 10/6, letter dated 10/7). I interviewed at UAB on 9/29 and haven't heard anything from them.

Has anyone been accepted to both? Were any of you current med students accepted to both places? My friend who is a first year at South was accepted to South and Wake Forest and left on the hook at UAB until two days before the final decision day. I really do not want to wait that long, especially since my interview was more than a month ago already!

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if South and UAB have a non-compete? I heard from a friend who interviewed at South that last year there were 10 dual-acceptances and 8 chose South. That part doesn't bother me except that there were ONLY 10 double acceptances?

South accepted me by snail mail on October 19 and the letter was dated the day after my interview (interviewed 10/6, letter dated 10/7). I interviewed at UAB on 9/29 and haven't heard anything from them.

Has anyone been accepted to both? Were any of you current med students accepted to both places? My friend who is a first year at South was accepted to South and Wake Forest and left on the hook at UAB until two days before the final decision day. I really do not want to wait that long, especially since my interview was more than a month ago already!

Any thoughts?

i've heard that South and UAB "talk" as well -- i've been told by students at the schools that either these are just rumors or actually true. it seems like no one knows?

i was also accepted at South a few weeks ago. i interviewed at uab last month and have not yet heard back...

does anyone know what the deal is?

Interview invite today - I'm pretty excited and surprised, seeing as I am OOS and submitted my secondary 4 days ago.

Any thoughts?

I do not think that is true that there were only 10 dual acceptances. I was accepted to both and chose UAB and I know several people in my class that did the same.

Has any reapplicant been asked for an interview?

According to last year's thread, they don't look at reapplicants until the end of the interview season. I'm not sure if this is actually true.

Anyone else OOS been stuck on "Secondary Complete & Under Review" for two months now?

Yes, I'm in the same boat. I submitted my secondary in September. I wish they would just tell me one way or another.

Yes, I'm in the same boat. I submitted my secondary in September. I wish they would just tell me one way or another.

Add me to the "we will never update you until you are old and gray" list too. :smuggrin: OOS.

According to last year's thread, they don't look at reapplicants until the end of the interview season. I'm not sure if this is actually true.

Anyone else OOS been stuck on "Secondary Complete & Under Review" for two months now?

This is not true (unless they have changed their policies since I was accepted two years ago). They treat re-applicants practically the same. They do expect a significant improvement in your app when you re-apply, though.

This is not true (unless they have changed their policies since I was accepted two years ago). They treat re-applicants practically the same. They do expect a significant improvement in your app when you re-apply, though.

I was on the WL last year without an acceptance and did a post rejection interview last year. According to Dr. Smith, they interview reapplicants late in the season. His reasoning was that it gives you more time to improve your application.

I was on the WL last year without an acceptance and did a post rejection interview last year. According to Dr. Smith, they interview reapplicants late in the season. His reasoning was that it gives you more time to improve your application.

How did things work out for you? I don't remember.

Any news on acceptances or interview invites lately? The last posted interview invite was about 18 days ago, and the last posted acceptance was about 20 days ago. Seems very suspiciously quiet...I interviewed in September and haven't heard anything since then and am starting to wonder.

I interviewed in early october and haven't heard anything either.

Thought that my status being "Secondary Complete and Under Review" was a good thing... until I read that it translates into "purgatory" lol

I'm an OOS guy as well... we'll see how this all pans out.

I interviewed in late September and still haven't heard anything!! I interviewed at South in early November and heard 5 days later by snailmail (accepted). What's the deal??

I interviewed in late September and still haven't heard anything!! I interviewed at South in early November and heard 5 days later by snailmail (accepted). What's the deal??

I know last year, you either heard a few days after you interviewed that you were accepted or you didn't hear back until April. I'm sure there were some exceptions to that, but I wouldn't expect it.

with a status of "reviewed, remain under consideration for interview"? :eek:

Has anyone else been asked to fill out an application for in state residency? They said they can't make a decision on my application until they determine if I'm a resident. I turned my residency application in about a month ago and still haven't heard anything.

i've heard that South and UAB "talk" as well -- i've been told by students at the schools that either these are just rumors or actually true. it seems like no one knows?

i was also accepted at South a few weeks ago. i interviewed at uab last month and have not yet heard back...

does anyone know what the deal is?

I interviewed 10/6 at South. Accepted. Interviewed UAB 10/28. Accepted 11/10. I also have a friend who has been accepted to both. I've heard exactly the opposite. (I go to South). Many of the students here are accepted to both & choose UAB. At least that was the trend last year.

Thought that my status being "Secondary Complete and Under Review" was a good thing... until I read that it translates into "purgatory" lol

I'm an OOS guy as well... we'll see how this all pans out.

I am OOS as well, I have had that status since 9/3, but when I checked a few days ago, the information listed below it was updated. Meaning my letters of recommendations were listed, which wasnt listed before. So I am hoping thats a sign that they are working on my application.

I Interviewed at UAB the October 21, accepted the 22. I Interviewed at South on Dec 1, got an acceptance letter today. There are many with dual acceptances.

I am OOS as well, I have had that status since 9/3, but when I checked a few days ago, the information listed below it was updated. Meaning my letters of recommendations were listed, which wasnt listed before. So I am hoping thats a sign that they are working on my application.

Ditto. I thought I was going crazy - I didn't remember seeing it there before, but at the same time, I wasn't sure if it had actually been there and I just hadn't noticed it. I guess that's what happens when you have to constantly keep checking on 8,000 different applications. :laugh: I have heard that UAB processes most OOS later in the season, so maybe this means we OOS folks are finally going to be up to bat soon. :)

with a status of "reviewed, remain under consideration for interview"? :eek:

I have this same status, and an OOS applicant with a 32R and 3.6 GPA (3.88 Science).

Can anyone maybe give some advice as to what this means? This has been my status for over 6 weeks now.

Thanks

I have this same status, and an OOS applicant with a 32R and 3.6 GPA (3.88 Science).

Can anyone maybe give some advice as to what this means? This has been my status for over 6 weeks now.

Thanks

That was my status last year for 6 months. :p It just means your application is good enough to not be rejected, but not good enough to be invited for an interview, yet. Just hang in there. Send them an update or two, and some time in the near future you might be invited for an interview. Good Luck!

ditto what do you mean by send them an update or two?

ditto what do you mean by send them an update or two?

Last year I sent them a couple letters letting them know that I was still very interested in attending and updated them with new volunteer experiences, papers, presentations, grades (if you're taking classes), etc... I also added in a bit about why I thought I was a good fit for their school. I think they really helped me because, honestly, last year my stats weren't that great, and yet they interviewed me and I ended up on the waitlist.

Last year I sent them a couple letters letting them know that I was still very interested in attending and updated them with new volunteer experiences, papers, presentations, grades (if you're taking classes), etc... I also added in a bit about why I thought I was a good fit for their school. I think they really helped me because, honestly, last year my stats weren't that great, and yet they interviewed me and I ended up on the waitlist.

Would it be a benefit or be expected of an applicant post-interview? I have been wanting to do this, and thought at the very least it wouldn't hurt to send a new transcript, but I thought a letter about why I would fit in well there would seem a little excessive at the point I am in the process. Thoughts?

Would it be a benefit or be expected of an applicant post-interview? I have been wanting to do this, and thought at the very least it wouldn't hurt to send a new transcript, but I thought a letter about why I would fit in well there would seem a little excessive at the point I am in the process. Thoughts?

I don't think it would seem excessive. Last year, I sent two updates pre-interview and one post-interview. In my post-interview letter I updated with activities and such and then stated very bluntly that UAB was my top choice school and if accepted I would definitely attend. I just think you have to choose your words very wisely so as to not come off as crazy. hehe

Anybody hear anything today? Anybody? Anything:(?

Interviewed Nov. 18th and haven't heard anything, just "campus choices received"....

Did anyone else get their official acceptance letter and campus assignment yesterday?

I was assigned to Birmingham .... anyone else?

No. Nothing. According to past years, I really thought there would be some acceptances last Friday. In my rich, fantasy life I thought... :(.

Congratulations bhamjd75! Was B'ham your first choice? Had you gotten an earlier email acceptance?

Ditto. I thought I was going crazy - I didn't remember seeing it there before, but at the same time, I wasn't sure if it had actually been there and I just hadn't noticed it. I guess that's what happens when you have to constantly keep checking on 8,000 different applications. :laugh: I have heard that UAB processes most OOS later in the season, so maybe this means we OOS folks are finally going to be up to bat soon. :)

Yea I noticed the change one day, so I am guessing they are finally getting to the OOS students. I am really hoping we hear good news soon :)

OOS. Also had my status page change about a week ago with the new information added. Today I noticed that my official status changed to "Remain Under Consideration for Interview." Anyone else get this today?

Status
Not open for further replies.