2010-2011 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so to answer some questions about successful appeals--i was rejected post-secondary (did not get an interview) and sent an appeal letter as a pdf attachment by email. somehow, totally miraculously, they accepted the appeal and i'm interviewing in january. i spent a lot of time on the letter (my bf and i spent a great deal of time sending it back and forth with edits). but i basically tried to show why i'm a good match for ucsf, academically and personally. so to those considering whether to appeal, do try! i wasn't hopeful at all, but getting the interview was the best surprise ever. especially since this is my first choice school. best of luck to everyone.

i'm not great about checking up on sdn (slow internet connection here!). but some overdue answers to questions about my post-secondary appeal :)

awesome to hear that you got an invite!

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like they are using status updates to communicate with OOS and MD/PHD applicants, and snail mail for ISers.

that sounds plausible.. hopefully thats true! I am out of town right now so I dont have access to my mail (im IS)

Congrats on the acceptances! I'm annoyed that I've now given myself something else to compulsively check. I assumed that I would just get an email. I'm on vacation in NZ and I have spotty internet access, but you can bet I'm paying to check my status page every time I see an internet cafe!

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like they are using status updates to communicate with OOS and MD/PHD applicants, and snail mail for ISers.

Scratch that. I have a friend at my school (California resident) who got a status update Christmas day. According to UCSF's admissions page, an applicant's interview day does not determine when he or she receives a final decision. I guess that could explain the spotty nature of the acceptances we've heard of. Honestly though, now I'm rather confused.

Still, the question that has yet to be answered is does UCSF do post-interview rejections prior to the end of the cycle? If we're not sure about the answer, then I'll give them a call.

Last edited:
Congrats on the acceptances, KPCOFGS and Cpck! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Was your friend's status update an acceptance? Just wondering if they're only sending acceptances at this point.

Ah, sorry about not making that clear. Yes, the status update was an acceptance.

any accepted OOS get their packet yet? i've only gotten the status update, but i'm currently out of town. can't wait to get my mail when i get back home!

Has anyone received a rejection recently/at all post-secondary? I was complete on 10/19 and haven't heard a thing. I'm seeing acceptances but nothing about rejections, so I want to know where on the hope scale I should be. Thanks!

Anyone receive a secondary app invitation recently? I applied later in the cycle and according to the email message it could take up to 3 months to get a secondary, that would be mid January for me so I'm really worried right now. :(

CONGRATULATIONS to those accepted, btw!! :claps:

I had a late September interview date, but my status page still says the committee hasn't made a final decision yet. Is this a bad sign or do different dates/committees just have really different decision times? Congrats to acceptances!

Has anyone received a rejection recently/at all post-secondary? I was complete on 10/19 and haven't heard a thing. I'm seeing acceptances but nothing about rejections, so I want to know where on the hope scale I should be. Thanks!

I received a rejection about 13 weeks post-secondary. Checked my status page and there it was...the dreaded pdf. Just submitted an appeal though, so here's to slim hopes=).

Members don't see this ad :)
I received a rejection about 13 weeks post-secondary. Checked my status page and there it was...the dreaded pdf. Just submitted an appeal though, so here's to slim hopes=).

Good luck on the appeal!

Anyone receive a secondary app invitation recently? I applied later in the cycle and according to the email message it could take up to 3 months to get a secondary, that would be mid January for me so I'm really worried right now. :(

CONGRATULATIONS to those accepted, btw!! :claps:

I submitted my primary on 12/1 and received a secondary invite on 12/16. Hope that helps and best of luck.

How were you notified? I sent my secondary in around the same time, no word yet.

How were you notified? I sent my secondary in around the same time, no word yet.
PDF bomb, waiting for me in the online portal. Showed up sometime between 2pm and 4pm.

I know this is kind of insane, but... I'm going to appeal a second time. It can't kill me any deader. I can't not do it, and look back wondering if only I had. The thought of (at minimum) four more years of long distance relationship is not the end of the world, but... ouch. :(

PDF bomb, waiting for me in the online portal. Showed up sometime between 2pm and 4pm.

I know this is kind of insane, but... I'm going to appeal a second time. It can't kill me any deader. I can't not do it, and look back wondering if only I had. The thought of (at minimum) four more years of long distance relationship is not the end of the world, but... ouch. :(

:(

I'm rooting for you:thumbup:

I'm rooting for you:thumbup:
Thanks! I really appreciate it. :oops:

The ironic thing was that today I was talking to a friend who is dealing with a persistent stalker. We were just saying "Geez! Why can't some people understand that No Means No!" mere minutes before I checked my app and saw the new rejection letter. :rolleyes:

funny-pictures-cat-is-a-stalker.jpg

So, um, yeah. I'm off to the post office to mail Appeal #2. :xf: :xf:

I'm rooting for you too! Although to be honest, I'm kinda hoping you get the interview and then a rejection so you can go for the appeal trifecta lol.

I'm rooting for you too! Although to be honest, I'm kinda hoping you get the interview and then a rejection so you can go for the appeal trifecta lol.
LOL! Third time's a charm, eh? :smuggrin:

Except their published appeals policy is that you can't appeal post-interview rejections. If I get rejected a third time, I guess that means they really don't think I'm a fit.

LOL! Third time's a charm, eh? :smuggrin:

Except their published appeals policy is that you can't appeal post-interview rejections. If I get rejected a third time, I guess that means they really don't think I'm a fit.

Ah, that's too bad. Oh well, two successful appeals would still be pretty epic. Good luck!

Ah, that's too bad. Oh well, two successful appeals would still be pretty epic. Good luck!
Epic, indeed. Perhaps verging on an interminable saga that is heroic but everyone dies in the end. ;)

I'm feeling better now that I've gotten it out of my hands and into the mail. Perhaps the medicinal mac n' cheese helped, too. :p

What's the interview day like? Structure/length of interviews?

hey everyone,

received the devastating pdf today. where should i send the appeal to? email? snail mail? any recommendations on the content? thanks i hope theyll reconsiderme :xf:

hey everyone,

received the devastating pdf today. where should i send the appeal to? email? snail mail? any recommendations on the content? thanks i hope theyll reconsiderme :xf:

Sorry to hear that! Does anyone else think it's weird that they'd send it on a Sunday!

Can I ask when you had your secondary application submitted?

hey everyone,

Here's what I did: Snailmail formal letter, addressed to Dean Wofsy. In my first appeal, I focused a lot on describing my specific reasons for wanting to attend UCSF. I.e. It shouldn't just say "because you're so awesome!" because c'mon, they already know they're awesome. Rather, I focused my letter on describing what things about me make me a good fit into their culture and mission.

The second appeal I just drafted was much harder to write because I'd already used up all of my ammo on the first appeal, and they now have my primary, secondary, PRIME essays, and committee packet of LORs. So I didn't want to just waste their time reiterating and repeating the same stuff. At that point, I just begged for another look, and for an interview.

Get on it ASAP. My first appeal took about 5-6 weeks to be reviewed, and they are going to run out of interview slots soon. Also, I can't imagine an appeal with a delay of more than a week being taken seriously. For me, each time I've gotten the pdf, it's been so devastating that I simply cannot focus on doing anything else until I've gotten that appeal written and sent off.

Best of luck! :luck: :luck:

Sorry to hear that! Does anyone else think it's weird that they'd send it on a Sunday!

Can I ask when you had your secondary application submitted?

I had it in at hte beginning of september it actually was dated jan 5th so last wed

Thank You for the advice. I am already on it. How long did yours end up being about a page? Do you think it would take 5-6 weeks to review especially at this time in the cycle? Mine is actually a pot-secondary rejection. Thanks Again

Here's what I did: Snailmail formal letter, addressed to Dean Wofsy. In my first appeal, I focused a lot on describing my specific reasons for wanting to attend UCSF. I.e. It shouldn't just say "because you're so awesome!" because c'mon, they already know they're awesome. Rather, I focused my letter on describing what things about me make me a good fit into their culture and mission.

The second appeal I just drafted was much harder to write because I'd already used up all of my ammo on the first appeal, and they now have my primary, secondary, PRIME essays, and committee packet of LORs. So I didn't want to just waste their time reiterating and repeating the same stuff. At that point, I just begged for another look, and for an interview.

Get on it ASAP. My first appeal took about 5-6 weeks to be reviewed, and they are going to run out of interview slots soon. Also, I can't imagine an appeal with a delay of more than a week being taken seriously. For me, each time I've gotten the pdf, it's been so devastating that I simply cannot focus on doing anything else until I've gotten that appeal written and sent off.

Best of luck! :luck: :luck:

Thank You for the advice. I am already on it. How long did yours end up being about a page? Do you think it would take 5-6 weeks to review especially at this time in the cycle? Mine is actually a post-secondary rejection. Thanks Again
Both were one page. Realistically it would take that long, however I am really hoping that it can happen a little quicker because of the interview timeline. In past years they've only interviewed through the end of February or beginning of March, and a lot of schools book their interviews 3-4 weeks in advance. So... do the math. :scared:

Lots of luck! :xf::xf::xf:

I was wondering whether or not it's a good idea to call the admissions office to check the status of my app? I submitted my secondary in early november and still haven't heard any word. Thoughts? Suggestions? Does anybody know what the average time is between secondary complete and interview invites?

I was wondering whether or not it's a good idea to call the admissions office to check the status of my app? I submitted my secondary in early november and still haven't heard any word. Thoughts? Suggestions? Does anybody know what the average time is between secondary complete and interview invites?

Do it. They may just give you a general explanation to how busy things are, or actually look up your app. I got the former.

No idea on the date range between submission and interview invite.

when do second round of acceptances come out? :oops::confused:

last year round of waitlists went out around 20th and followed by round of acceptances round 25th. however, they didnt have status updates last year so these are snail mail dates

Anyone accepted at UCSF hear about interviews for the PRIME program? They said we would be contacted after the official acceptance but not sure if any interviews have gone out yet.:oops:

Anyone accepted at UCSF hear about interviews for the PRIME program? They said we would be contacted after the official acceptance but not sure if any interviews have gone out yet.:oops:
Last year the PRIME interviews didn't get going until late February, according to this post. :)

Last year the PRIME interviews didn't get going until late February, according to this post. :)

Very interesting, Dianyla, thanks for digging this up! I've come to really appreciate your posts at the two schools where we're both applying :)

Very interesting, Dianyla, thanks for digging this up! I've come to really appreciate your posts at the two schools where we're both applying :)
The upside of applying as narrowly as I am is that I have time to stalk these two schools as thoroughly as possible. :rolleyes:

when do second round of acceptances come out? :oops::confused:

I remember someone saying that they come out on the 15th of each month starting in December? Although they came out after the 15th last month so who knows.

interview invite today :) I submitted my secondary 10/21 to those who are still waiting.

interview invite today :) I submitted my secondary 10/21 to those who are still waiting.

Congratulations to you! :thumbup:

But for me... eek! I submitted my secondary more than two months after you!

If I have to wait two more month for them to make a decision about my secondary they'll be probably be done with interviews. Speaking of which, what dates were you offered for an interview?

UCSF will be interviewing at least through Feb. 28, FYI.

Interview invite today! OOS, complete 11/9. Came as a very pleasant surprise. Looking forward to my very first trip to California!

Status
Not open for further replies.