2010-2011 University of Missouri (Columbia) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Bump! Mizzou is one of my top choices.

I was skimming through last year's thread and I'm still not sure what the secondary prompt was. I saw what looked like an extra prompt sent only to OOS'ers about their state ties. Was there something else too?

Holla

Missouri residents all the way. Wish we had more than one state school though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump! Mizzou is one of my top choices.

I was skimming through last year's thread and I'm still not sure what the secondary prompt was. I saw what looked like an extra prompt sent only to OOS'ers about their state ties. Was there something else too?

Hey, I applied to Mizzou as a re-applicant this year and got in. The main secondary app essay both years that I applied asks how you would add diversity to the school. There is also a section to add any additional comments if you choose to do so. For re-applicants there is an essay that asks you to explain what you have done to improve.

Who knows if they will change it this year, but it has been the same the last two.

Good luck to everyone applying now!

The main secondary app essay both years that I applied asks how you would add diversity to the school.
Good luck to everyone applying now!

I'm really not sure how to answer that one. I suppose it could be worse though. My least favorite prompts that I have seen so far were along the lines of:

1) Describe an experience where you displayed cultural competence.
2) Describe yourself (1000 character limit)

How are you folks going to go about this essay?

Good luck to all of you applicants for the Class of 2015! If you have any questions about the application process, feel free to PM me. I suspect the same offer may come from CaptainFantastic or Pingouin but they are both in the thick of clinicals and I'll go out on a limb and guess that their free time is infinitely more valuable to them.

Hello I am about to apply for Mizzou. I have been worried about the fact that I haven't taken biochemistry yet. Does anyone know about how seriously MU takes the recommended notion for biochemistry.

Hello I am about to apply for Mizzou. I have been worried about the fact that I haven't taken biochemistry yet. Does anyone know about how seriously MU takes the recommended notion for biochemistry.

Not having had Biochem won't keep you out of Mizzou Med. It's a recommendation to make life easier as an M1, it's not a requirement.

Well I got approved for OOS status today and received the secondary as well. Although I had to respond to them with an email today explaining I am finishing the English requirement this year.

Well I got approved for OOS status today and received the secondary as well. Although I had to respond to them with an email today explaining I am finishing the English requirement this year.

Congrats! What reason did you give for being an exception? I tried the varied life experiences/background and got denied.

Congratulations! My OOS form had a quick turn around, too, but I didn't make the cut. I'm glad they told me in a timely fashion, and it was nice not even having to pay for the secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! What reason did you give for being an exception? I tried the varied life experiences/background and got denied.

Mine was strong ties to the state. My wife is a Missouri resident and is currently applying to a PhD program at Mizzou so if they don't let me apply she won't either. Her family all lives in the St. Louis area as well so that probably helped.

I actually like it when schools do this. It lets you know where you stand before you apply and waste the extra money of the secondary. I would rather have that then send in a secondary that has no shot of being looked at seriously.

Mine was strong ties to the state. My wife is a Missouri resident and is currently applying to a PhD program at Mizzou so if they don't let me apply she won't either. Her family all lives in the St. Louis area as well so that probably helped.

I actually like it when schools do this. It lets you know where you stand before you apply and waste the extra money of the secondary. I would rather have that then send in a secondary that has no shot of being looked at seriously.

Congrats! Mine was denied as well, the majority of my extended family live in Missouri but I guess that is not close enough haha. I definitely appreciate the quick turnaround and not having to pay for the secondary. Good luck to you and your wife!

I'm IS and haven't received the secondary yet. Is it the same as last year?

I'm IS and got the secondary today, anyone else?

I'm IS and haven't received the secondary yet. Is it the same as last year?

Yes I believe it is.

Mizzou is being a bit of a pain now. They are having trouble understanding I am completing one of the pre reqs (English) right now. I already had to send them an email with my current transcript showing I am currently enrolled and will complete it August 2010, and now they want an email from the professor. A little frustrated with them to to point of maybe not continuing on with my application. They are being too much of a pain for what they offer me as OOS.

Yes I believe it is.

Mizzou is being a bit of a pain now. They are having trouble understanding I am completing one of the pre reqs (English) right now. I already had to send them an email with my current transcript showing I am currently enrolled and will complete it August 2010, and now they want an email from the professor. A little frustrated with them to to point of maybe not continuing on with my application. They are being too much of a pain for what they offer me as OOS.

I got the secondary and am having to do something similar (IS). They require an email from my advisor confirming that I will be taking my 2nd English course during my senior year, before app can be processed.

Also, snail mail secondaries ftl.

I got the secondary and am having to do something similar (IS). They require an email from my advisor confirming that I will be taking my 2nd English course during my senior year, before app can be processed.

Also, snail mail secondaries ftl.

Well it took a while but mizzou finally approved my English class. I had to have an email from a department head to write it. He wrote it even though I never have met him before, very nice of him. Mizzou wrote back today and gave me the go ahead to finish my application. Now I just need to get it done.

Well it took a while but mizzou finally approved my English class. I had to have an email from a department head to write it. He wrote it even though I never have met him before, very nice of him. Mizzou wrote back today and gave me the go ahead to finish my application. Now I just need to get it done.

My advisor sent in my email this morning, and they responded within a few hours to let me know that my hold had been removed. Lindsey Gentry has been great, always responds to my emails quickly.

I mailed my secondary summary + check today. The diversity essay was quick because I had to write an identical essay for another school already. I just wrote a "Why Mizzou" paragraph in the additional comments section since it doesn't let you verify your app with the block empty...

I struggled with the diversity essay. As a middle aged white male, I typically subtract diversity everywhere I go. Man! I just want to get in there so bad I'm almost mad at myself for not being more....... not middle aged white guy. don't mean to be inflammatory, just gripping a little too tightly at present:smuggrin:

I struggled with the diversity essay. As a middle aged white male, I typically subtract diversity everywhere I go. Man! I just want to get in there so bad I'm almost mad at myself for not being more....... not middle aged white guy. don't mean to be inflammatory, just gripping a little too tightly at present:smuggrin:

I worked so hard on that essay; wrote two full pages trying to make it shine. I am not middle aged yet (33), and want to get in there so bad also. I think you should change your handle from unlikelydoc to likelydoc. Yeah, think positive middle aged man, you can do it.

You have the perfect opportunity to write a diversity essay about being a non-traditional student. Think about it, what's the average age for incoming med students? 22-25? If I was in your position I would write an essay about how you have had all of these life experiences and will be able to bring a slightly older persons perspective to the table.

I worked so hard on that essay; wrote two full pages trying to make it shine. I am not middle aged yet (33), and want to get in there so bad also. I think you should change your handle from unlikelydoc to likelydoc. Yeah, think positive middle aged man, you can do it.

... just wait until you're middle aged like me (34) :laugh:. Thanks man, I needed that!

@jgipson05-I think you're right, thats what I'm going to try. I guess my life experiences don't feel that unique to me since I was there for most of them.

I hope to see both of you at orientation!

well seeing as I'm practically ancient (35), and applied when I was middle-aged (33) I would propose that jgipson is right on the money. focus on what you've been doing with the last 10+ years that your younger applicant peers have not. what have you accomplished professionally? personally?

I know for myself, I tend to minimize what I've done mostly because to me.. it was just my job and many of my friends hold similar positions so it's nothing special in my mind.

Now put yourself in the interviewer's role, and think about how much more interesting that interview is going to be with an applicant who's done something none of the other applicants have.

(ps in my non-existent spare time I'm happy to read over any non-trad essays)

Submitted my out of state essay on Monday. Wrote my heart out, and am hoping it brings good news.

Submitted my out of state essay on Monday. Wrote my heart out, and am hoping it brings good news.

Good luck! They are pretty quick about looking at them. It only took them 4 days to get back to me about my petition. The school staff seem very helpful so far too.

I'm trying to look into this school, but i'm slightly confused by its application entry date: August 1st? Is that true?

does anyone know how difficult it is for out-of-state applicants to get in vs in-state?

does anyone know how difficult it is for out-of-state applicants to get in vs in-state?

Per the website, in state students are heavily favored when it comes to receiving interviews. Once interviews have been granted, as I understand it, the playing field is level as the AdCom uses the awarding of interviews as the major point of regulation regarding IS vs OOS.

Am I considered a reapplicant if I applied last cycle even though i did not apply to this school?

I am OOS and got my secondary on 9/3 and going to submit today. Does anyone know how soon application is complete? I am hoping for an interview since they accepted my out of state condition

I'm applying OOS to the MD/PhD program (which means that was my OOS justification essay). I made it past that hurdle and got sent my secondary today! Terribly exciting.

On the other hand, they've started bringing out the hoops for me to jump through. Forget arguing ties to Mizzou, they want me to prove I'm a US citizen by sending them a photocopy of my passport! :laugh: (I was born out of the country, but went to elementary/middle/high school and college in the US..) OK, I guess I can understand that, but I bet they wouldn't have even checked if I didn't have a tongue-tying twelve-letter last name.

Next, they noticed I'm in grad school (finishing a Master's degree in Biotechnology this December). Thus, "[t]he Admissions Committee requests ... a letter from your major graduate advisor stating his/her knowledge of your application to the Fall 2011 Entering Class." Because I must be finishing before August 2011 in order to be considered for admission. (Thankfully, not that hard a thing to arrange..)

Finally, they decided that "t appears that you have not met the prerequisite course requirement of eight hours of organic chemistry with lab." either prove I'm taking the accursed class, or argue that they were incorrect in their interpretation... (I chose the latter, since my school is on the quarter instead of the semester system, which naturally complicates things.. But seriously, I graduated with a Minor in Chemistry. I have indeed survived the required organic chem hell.)

Ah.. I'll probably spend all Monday on this mess. Wish me luck?

I'm applying OOS to the MD/PhD program (which means that was my OOS justification essay). I made it past that hurdle and got sent my secondary today! Terribly exciting.

On the other hand, they've started bringing out the hoops for me to jump through. Forget arguing ties to Mizzou, they want me to prove I'm a US citizen by sending them a photocopy of my passport! :laugh: (I was born out of the country, but went to elementary/middle/high school and college in the US..) OK, I guess I can understand that, but I bet they wouldn't have even checked if I didn't have a tongue-tying twelve-letter last name.

Next, they noticed I'm in grad school (finishing a Master's degree in Biotechnology this December). Thus, "[t]he Admissions Committee requests ... a letter from your major graduate advisor stating his/her knowledge of your application to the Fall 2011 Entering Class." Because I must be finishing before August 2011 in order to be considered for admission. (Thankfully, not that hard a thing to arrange..)

Finally, they decided that "t appears that you have not met the prerequisite course requirement of eight hours of organic chemistry with lab." either prove I'm taking the accursed class, or argue that they were incorrect in their interpretation... (I chose the latter, since my school is on the quarter instead of the semester system, which naturally complicates things.. But seriously, I graduated with a Minor in Chemistry. I have indeed survived the required organic chem hell.)

Ah.. I'll probably spend all Monday on this mess. Wish me luck?

They pulled that prerequisite card on me too. They are VERY rigid with their course requirements. It would be less effort for everyone if the school acknowledged any course deficiency before you submit a secondary.

Interview Invite this afternoon via email!!!!

Scheduled for October 2nd.

Was complete sometimes in mid July.

Instate, 32/3.43sGPA. Good luck everyone!!!

Interview Invite this afternoon via email!!!!

Scheduled for October 2nd.

Was complete sometimes in mid July.

Instate, 32/3.43sGPA. Good luck everyone!!!
Me too, for the 4th.

IS 30/4.0sgpa 3.4cgpa

:woot:!!!!

I got an interview invite this afternoon as well, Oct 6th. Very excited!

OOS, 32/3.68 sGPA/3.79 cGPA

When were you guys complete? Does anyone know if Mizzou schedules interviews in the order of completion dates?

I was complete toward the end of July, not sure what their order is.

Congrats UnlikelyDoc and Donnie! I think Mizzou is truly a hidden gem. Best of luck on your interviews! I hope to get one soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.