2010-2011 University of Missouri (Columbia) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too. Is it just me or do you get the biggest lump ever in your throat when you see MU in your inbox?

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, keep playing that waiting game.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in-state and have a 30/3.8 + a variety of ECs + a variety of strong letters. Interviewed 11/17, accepted 12/16. Merry Christmas to me!

For those of you who are wondering:

You'll have 2 one hour long one-on-one interviews with members of the admissions committee who will then present your case to the admissions committee to determine your score. Your interviews will either be in the morning, followed by lunch and tour etc, or in the afternoon, after your lunch and tour.

Interview day's pretty short--either approx 9-1 or 11-3, depending on morning or afternoon interviews. Mizzou interviews Mon, Tues, and Wed and then the committee meets to discuss that week's applicants on Thursday. Each month, you'll get an update--either status unchanged, or accepted. Apparently very few (<10/month, according to a reliable source) are accepted early on, so don't be alarmed if you wait until Feb or Mar to hear of your acceptance!

All the best, and good luck!

Happy holidays,
KMO

After interviewing at 5 different schools this year I have decided that Mizzou is where I want to be. I was wait listed there last year, but I have worked hard during the interim to improve my application. Does anybody know if being a re-applicant will work to my favor significantly for the admissions committee?

After interviewing at 5 different schools this year I have decided that Mizzou is where I want to be. I was wait listed there last year, but I have worked hard during the interim to improve my application. Does anybody know if being a re-applicant will work to my favor significantly for the admissions committee?

I have no specific evidence saying one way or another, but it definitely worked in my favor. I was waitlisted the first year, improved my application, and was accepted directly without a wait list for this year.

If you've improved from last year, I'd say that you have a decent shot of getting accepted this year, especially since you were waitlisted last year. (Previous waitlisters are automatically granted an interview, so that seems favorable..) Best of luck!

(P.S. I am very satisfied with attending Mizzou's Med school. It's incredible.)

Does anyone know when the next admissions email update will be?

I would guess next Friday, the 14th?

I got the call tonight! I'm going to be a Tiger!
Good luck to everybody out there who is still waiting. This was my third year to apply to medical school. Even if you don't get in this year, never give up on the dream. Work hard, be a good person, and good things will happen for you!

I got the call tonight! I'm going to be a Tiger!
Good luck to everybody out there who is still waiting. This was my third year to apply to medical school. Even if you don't get in this year, never give up on the dream. Work hard, be a good person, and good things will happen for you!

Congrats! Did you get an email as well? Or just a call?

Has everyone accepted so far received a call too? I'm just wondering if that is part of the normal routine. I was told the next update would be towards the end of January. :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe they will be sending the updates this Friday.

Last one came December 15th I think and they said they would send updates once every 30 days or so. We'll see!

Hey ya'll I'm interviewing in a couple of weeks, and I'd like to see how everyone else's experiences at MU have been on interview day! I'm doing the early 9am and 10am interviews...I believe they're one on one with adcom members, but not sure. Did ya'll get a bunch of ethical questions or would you say it's more informal? I'm super excited...and getting anxious. Trying to study up on healthcare policy etc..just in case :xf:

Hey ya'll I'm interviewing in a couple of weeks, and I'd like to see how everyone else's experiences at MU have been on interview day! I'm doing the early 9am and 10am interviews...I believe they're one on one with adcom members, but not sure. Did ya'll get a bunch of ethical questions or would you say it's more informal? I'm super excited...and getting anxious. Trying to study up on healthcare policy etc..just in case :xf:

I interviewed today, and loved it! Both interview experiences were fairly relaxed. *Very* conversational with a wide variety of questions. Some were asked about healthcare (like myself, and I definitely wish I would've refreshed on current events before hand) and others were asked about ethical choices. The tour was brief but covered all of the major areas, with a lot of renovation in the works. Overall, I was very impressed!

Good luck! :thumbup:

I would recommended you know your application very well. The interview is open file and most of my questions were based off of the information I had already provided them about myself. For instance, I was asked detailed questions about research that I performed all the way back in 2006. If I hadn't brushed up on things like that before the interview it could have turned out disastrous for me.

Also, staying current on topics such as healthcare reform is a good idea. Not just for your interview, but also for your future career.

Finally, I would say just act really excited about the program. This shouldn't be too hard to do if you're familiar with Mizzou, because it really is a great medical school.

Where would you guys recommended I search for decent affordable housing close to the MU campus?

I am considering getting a roommate in order to save money. However, at the age of 26, I am reluctant to go back to that type of situation. Do any of you regret having a roommate in medical school and just wish you had incurred the additional debt in order to live alone? Vice versa do any of you regret living alone?

Where would you guys recommended I search for decent affordable housing close to the MU campus?

I am considering getting a roommate in order to save money. However, at the age of 26, I am reluctant to go back to that type of situation. Do any of you regret having a roommate in medical school and just wish you had incurred the additional debt in order to live alone? Vice versa do any of you regret living alone?

Most of the upper level undergrads and graduate students live on East Campus in mostly individual houses. Most all of the properties on East Campus are run by Remi. The ones that are not owned by Remi are individually owned, and those are the ones you have to drive around for.

http://www.goremi.com/

These properties are all extremely popular and will go fast so if you want to be right on campus, get on the wait list (it's like 100 dollars).

There is a string of apartment complex's about 5 minutes from campus (one of which I live in).

Grindstone Canyon
Copper Beech
The Reserve
Gateway
Campus View
Campus Lodge
The Cottages Of Columbia (nicest apartments in Columbia hands down)

I know the school also has graduate student apartments. Not too familiar with them though, other than they suck.

If anybody is interested in securing a roomate for next year pm me.

Does anyone know when the next admissions email update will be?

I was talking to one of the deans at the beginning of January, and she said the next acceptances would be at the beginning of February. But, then I heard some people got acceptances in the middle of January, sooo.... not really sure :confused:

For those waiting: last year, I got an email, but not a phone call. It was about a few weeks after my interview.

If anybody has questions about the school feel free to ask! (Kinda busy, though, so it might take a few days to get back to ya!)

Good luck :thumbup:

Does anybody know if they send status updates to everyone each month or only to those who recently interviewed.

I recieved my status update in december that I was on hold/no decision made on my application. Should I expect an update every month or will the next time I hear from them be when interviews are over and they make final decisions? Any help is appreciated.

I just had my interview on Tuesday and I was told that the next AdCom meeting would be next week. So we should be hearing something around then.

This thread is pretty quiet. After the interview, is the first chance you can hear from the school via the status updates?

Are we likely to hear from this Thursday? Every time I get an email I just hope it is from Mizzou :)

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear!!

This thread is pretty quiet. After the interview, is the first chance you can hear from the school via the status updates?

Are we likely to hear from this Thursday? Every time I get an email I just hope it is from Mizzou :)

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear!!

There is a small chance they will give you a call instead. That is what happened to me and a few other people over this year and last years threads. However, I have noticed that they seem to do this more often for reapplicants. I was waitlisted last year btw.

You're right that this thread is awfully quiet though. I'm hoping that it picks up some after they send out the next status update out.

Good luck everybody!

Think the huge amounts of snow will delay the monthly email? I called a couple weeks ago and they told me Jan 28th was the day. Then I read on here it would be the first week of February.

There is a small chance they will give you a call instead. That is what happened to me and a few other people over this year and last years threads. However, I have noticed that they seem to do this more often for reapplicants. I was waitlisted last year btw.

You're right that this thread is awfully quiet though. I'm hoping that it picks up some after they send out the next status update out.

Good luck everybody!

Thanks for letting me know!!

Think the huge amounts of snow will delay the monthly email? I called a couple weeks ago and they told me Jan 28th was the day. Then I read on here it would be the first week of February.

That is a really good point. I believe Columbia received ~17 inches of snow, which is a whole lot of snow for Missouri. I'm sure the school has been closed for at least one or two days.

According to their facebook feed the school will be closed tomorrow.

According to their facebook feed the school will be closed tomorrow.

Yeah, the whole town is buried. The entire campus is closed tomorrow (has been for two days now). Even clinical rotations for the upper classmen have been called off (not that I'm complaining...this week was/is L&D nights for me...although I would like to catch me some babies!)

The suspense is killing me! I interviewed on January 10th and all the snow is pushing back when we willl find out our status! Perhaps on Friday or this coming Monday. I did receive a call last Friday from a 571 area code number but I missed the call. Could this have been MU? Do they leave a voice mail if you miss their call? I realize Columbia has a 573 area code.

Last edited:
I am still taking applications for a roommate next year. I am from out of state, and do not know anybody in the Columbia area yet. I am starting early in order to find a compatible roommate, but on the whole I am very easy going personally.

My goal is to find a nice place with laundry hook-ups and reasonable rent. Right now I am leaning towards the broadway village apartments or possibly a duplex.

If you are interested or know someone who might be please send me a private message or e-mail me at [email protected]

Thanks!

Same, on the plus side the email said they will be done at the end of this month so hopefully the despair won't persist too much longer

To the persistent pre-med a rejection is just a delay of the inevitable acceptance. I was rejected for two years running, but received 3 offers this year.

Never give up on a dream, work hard and make that dream happen.

what are everyone's thoughts on sending a letter of interest with a bit about current volunteer work for those with status unchaged?

what are everyone's thoughts on sending a letter of interest with a bit about current volunteer work for those with status unchaged?

I am pretty sure they don't accept additional information. If you still have your interview folder, I believe it states this on the bottom of the bright green piece of paper.

However, I could be mistaken, so you might be better off calling the admissions office directly.

Hope this helps!! Good luck!! :)

That is right. They don't update applications post interview.

Hello everybody! This is my first official post on studentdoctor.net. I just interviewed at Mizzou yesterday. (Feb 22) What a fantastic school! For those of you who are still waiting for a decision, I was told applicants would receive their final status on or around March 15th. Good luck to everyone! :) :luck: :xf:

This form is so slow/dead... And it the sad thing is I keep checking it.

That's disheartening to hear that emails won't go out till 03/15. When I interviewed, we were told to expect something around ~03/01. I'm assuming ol' man winter is to blame for this unexpected delay.

Is March 15th what everyone should expect, or just those people that interviewed late February?

Status
Not open for further replies.