2010-2011 University of Oklahoma Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
when do classes start? I tried looking online but couldn't find anything. And I am doing the SCM track so isn't there something the week before regular classes start that we go to?

Members don't see this ad.

when do classes start? I tried looking online but couldn't find anything. And I am doing the SCM track so isn't there something the week before regular classes start that we go to?

I believe orientation starts August 16th. I have heard that they are modifying the schedule some already to allocate more time to some subjects and perhaps the week long orientation might be shortened to make up for this, but that is merely speculation at this point.

I have no idea on the SCM summer institute.

Anyone else interviewing on Tuesday? If so, see you there!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone with interviews this week! :luck: I'd be happy to answer any questions y'all have, and I'm sure everyone else who has already interviewed would as well.

I think I might add something for reapplicants.

The interviewers actually don't know you are a reapplicant until they open up the secret file of recommendation letters, grades, MCAT.

So it's actually okay to mention that you are a reapplicant early on in the interview. Also if you went to the workshop, mention that you went to the workshop. That way they can focus on asking questions about what you've done to improve your application. Did you retake the MCAT, more extra currics, upper division science classes etc. etc., If your mcat didn't go up by two or three points, this might not be a good strategy.

For me, they actually asked about three questions in, What would you do, if you did not get accepted this year? My heart always stops at a question like that. But I told them I would figure out how to improve the app and than I also mentioned that I went to the workshop last year and they were like oh so you are a reapplicant and that they didn't know that it's stashed in the secret file.

If you have extra currics, I would not regurgitate you're amcas application. Make sure you have something else to add how it made you a better person what you learned from each activity.

With ethics, there's really a fine line between being ambiguous and being too one sided. The main thing is whichever side you prefer, make sure to acknowledge the other side so that they know you've really done your research.

Ethics questions are generally asked mainly to see how you react rather than for the sole purpose of trying to identify your ethical position.

Also, I remember panicking a little because I had a short 1st half of interview. I was the first one out of the room. But how long they spend with you isn't a factor. Because the previous cycle, I had a long interview.

Don't forget firm handshake at the beginning. Eye contact is the toughest because its three people. I would maintain eye contact with the one who is asking the question but also glance at the others to acknowledge them.

Also it's okay to say, I'm not sure when asked about a current event or something that is not related to your application or personality. It's also okay to ask for some time to compose your thoughts on a difficult question.

It's never happened to me but someone may try to rattle you by asking a question in response to something you say. Just remain composed.

Also I was almost late, plan for accidents, traffic, road blocks by adding an extra thirty in advance.

All my thoughts on the interview procedure.

Also where do you see yourself in ten years? since this is a state funded school, hopefully you see yourself in Oklahoma

It seems like at the workshop they also noted who was soft spoken and stuff. Its important to not come across as soft spoken.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when those who were accepted start receiving information on when class starts, immunizations needed, health insurance,
tuition, computer requirements, etc.? I received a letter from the dean and it indicated that we would get this sometime in the future? Also, I was rummaging through a student handbook pdf to find some info and I came across a requirement for Basic Life Support certification for newly accepted students. Is this hard to get?

Does anyone know when those who were accepted start receiving information on when class starts, immunizations needed, health insurance,
tuition, computer requirements, etc.? I received a letter from the dean and it indicated that we would get this sometime in the future? Also, I was rummaging through a student handbook pdf to find some info and I came across a requirement for Basic Life Support certification for newly accepted students. Is this hard to get?

I was trying to find out about the first aid class. I havent heard anything from the admissions people but they are busy with interview dates.

So far I haven't any received any new information. They probably will send stuff maybe after the class is finalized in February or after the date when those holding multiple spots finally choose. I'm hoping that I don't need any new immunizations. The first aid class requirement is what I'm most interested in finding out about since I'm really not doing anything I could take the course right now if they still require it.

Do not take the course now. The class will offer one in the summer around July. You have to recertify and if you do it now, you would have to recertify during classes of your second year. As far as immunizations, the student sheet is on OUs website although it might be a little difficult to find. I think it is the sane for all the health professional schools so don't look specifically on the college of medicine site. They will send out the info at late spring early summer.

Since many of us are going to be classmates relatively soon and whatnot, I think it would be interesting to hear some of your backgrounds! For example, where you're from, major, possible medical specialty interests, interesting facts, why you chose OU, whatever whatever whatever (be creative).

To start off, I'm from Tulsa. My undergrad major is Biology, and possible medical specialty = anything that does not involve children. I chose OU because I fell in love with it at my interview and you really just can't beat the in-state tuition.

Well I'm starting to look for a place to live for next year, and I'm just wondering if anyone else has decided where to live or has any good ideas?
I'm going to school OOS right now, so it's hard to try and find something online.
I would love to live downtown, but everything seems pretty expensive.

The weather is not looking friendly for this Tuesday interviewee...

EDIT: They canceled the Feb 1st interviews and moved them to the 20th. Safety first :thumbup:

Last edited:
has anyone heard anything about the feb 3rd interviews? its a 3hr drive for me without ice on the ground

cancelled and resched for feb 20.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Very quiet thread, considering the rescheduling and all...

I seriously think everyone is too frozen to post! I really hope that the forecasters are overestimating this storm tomorrow and wed. Thankfully, we are supposed to return to a more mild weather pattern next week. High temps in the 50s and 60s will do a lot to melt that accumulated snow. Good luck to those interviewing on the 20th!

If I already know that I'm going to OU, should I still go to second look day?

If I already know that I'm going to OU, should I still go to second look day?

Yes, you should. While not everyone there will go to OU, you'll get to meet some of your classmates. Also, it's where we were measured for our white coats, and they let us go over to the CSETC and play with some of the simulators. Overall, it's actually a pretty fun day.

I am a first year med student at OU and if anyone has any questions feel free to send me an message. Good luck to everyone interviewing on Sunday!

P.S. for those already accepted, a few words of advice: take the summer off (once you start, there's not much free time), the student insurance option is terrible (in my personal opinion better to go with another carrier), do your financial aid stuff asap (fafsa), etc. etc. Lots of little things if anyone cares to know.

I am a first year med student at OU and if anyone has any questions feel free to send me an message. Good luck to everyone interviewing on Sunday!

P.S. for those already accepted, a few words of advice: take the summer off (once you start, there's not much free time), the student insurance option is terrible (in my personal opinion better to go with another carrier), do your financial aid stuff asap (fafsa), etc. etc. Lots of little things if anyone cares to know.

I've heard this from a lot of different people. What would you recommend as far as taking the summer off? There's no way that I'm just gonna lounge around all day doing absolutely whatever I want to do... that gets boring very quickly to me.

I've heard this from a lot of different people. What would you recommend as far as taking the summer off? There's no way that I'm just gonna lounge around all day doing absolutely whatever I want to do... that gets boring very quickly to me.
I know, for me, I'm going to work but it's going to be something that I enjoy doing. Find something that makes you have responsibility and something that you feel you would enjoy or know would make a difference. Travel, volunteer, start a new hobby. I think that when people say "take the summer off", they mean "don't do the same lame summer jobs that you've done for the past 6 or 7 years".

Basically we get, at most, 2 more summers to do what we want. After that, our freedom is gone.

That's unfortunate, I did nothing the summer between first and second year and it was glorious. However, most people have to work to support themselves during the summer. My advice is to still work, but don't pick up any extra shifts. Don't do any volunteer work you don't really really enjoy. Don't take any classes to prepare and don't even dream of pre-studying, not at all. The rest of the time should be filled with friends, family, sleeping, traveling, drinking, playing sports...

Leave your job on Friday afternoon with the satisfaction that you have no other responsibilities until Monday morning, because that won't happen ever again. The time is approaching when you will be a slave to a pager or cell phone.

Does anybody have any inisght into when they are supposed to mail out the decision letters from Jan and Feb interviews? I'm growing a wee bit anxious.

Does anybody have any inisght into when they are supposed to mail out the decision letters from Jan and Feb interviews? I'm growing a wee bit anxious.

Anybody with any inside info on this?

Final committee meeting was today (feb 27) and Dotty said they usually have letters out within 10 days.

Final committee meeting was today (feb 27) and Dotty said they usually have letters out within 10 days.

would that be within 10 days of interview or 10 days of the meeting? i took it as we would hear something within 10 days of the interview.

I took it as 10 days from last interviews too (feb 20). Sorry I was not more specific.

We were told that letters would be sent 10 working days after Feb 27th (the last board meeting), and to expect something by about the second week of March.

Any current medical students have advice regarding housing for next year? Is there a particular area or complexes that are popular among medical students??

Thanks, can't wait for second look weekend!!!

Do we know how many people have already been accepted?

Iam an MS1 and I remember being in your shoes, just wanted to say that I hope everything works out for everyone and that I will be at the second visit day, hope to see y'all there

Any current medical students have advice regarding housing for next year? Is there a particular area or complexes that are popular among medical students??

You will find that your classmates live everywhere in and around the city. But there are some complexes that tend to be popular among med students:

University Village: you can't beat being right on campus and they are decently priced (with cable and internet included), but they are pretty small apartments and the wait list can get pretty long
http://village.ou.edu/
Deep Deuce: great downtown location - walking or biking to campus is very easy but these are pretty expensive
http://www.deepdeuce.com/
Lincoln at Central Park ('The Lincoln'): I think that close to 20% of my class lived here last year, seriously; very short commute down Lincoln (I wouldn't try biking down Lincoln though), price is on par with deep deuce
http://www.thelincolnatcentralpark.com/

There are other possibly cheaper complexes to be found, but it will take some hard looking. I would suggest looking for a nice small duplex in the older neighborhoods off of/around Western. I lived in that area last year and loved it. It is close enough to school, plus the benefit of being close to the good stuff on Western and Classen. Take a drive through the neighborhoods to scout which ones look decent and which ones have signs out. You can try craiglist, but you must check it religiously and be among the first people to call or see a place to even have a chance. Good luck.

Well, it's the second week of March. So... good luck everyone :xf:

Any word if letters went out?

Last edited:
Any word if letters went out?
just called. "they will go out tomorrow morning. so just whenever they get out of campus mail, and out to you. you should have it by early next week"

lol wth does out of campus mail mean??

EDIT

Thanks, I do too! I hope I don't have to wait too long, but after five years I suppose I can wait another week or so :)

Last edited:
just called. "they will go out tomorrow morning. so just whenever they get out of campus mail, and out to you. you should have it by early next week"

lol wth does out of campus mail mean??

Good luck to everyone. :luck: I hope you all find BREs in the mail soon!

It's taking longer for them to send the letters out compared to last year.

I definitely wish everyone good luck. Especially some who've waited a while since November and longer etc... One year out is long, I can't imagine 3,4 years of application cycles. If you keep getting interviewed, I hope some of the committee people can see the perseverence of those on their second or third try or even more.

I really think that the admissions committee tries to be fair. It's just super competitive. Hopefully in a few years with the second medical school opening for first and second years more people who deserve a shot get in.

I certainly would want someone who isn't going to give up to help me fight an illness.

Also I hope everyone else's mailmen doesn't forget to deliver it on their first go and end up coming back on a second trip after your mom chases down the postman for you. Yep that did happen.

It's taking longer for them to send the letters out compared to last year.

I definitely wish everyone good luck. Especially some who've waited a while since November and longer etc... One year out is long, I can't imagine 3,4 years of application cycles. If you keep getting interviewed, I hope some of the committee people can see the perseverence of those on their second or third try or even more.

I really think that the admissions committee tries to be fair. It's just super competitive. Hopefully in a few years with the second medical school opening for first and second years more people who deserve a shot get in.

I certainly would want someone who isn't going to give up to help me fight an illness.

Also I hope everyone else's mailmen doesn't forget to deliver it on their first go and end up coming back on a second trip after your mom chases down the postman for you. Yep that did happen.

I guess that they are going to expand the Tulsa school of community medicine into a medical school? I had a feeling that they were going to do that considering what Texas Tech did to their El Paso facility.

Hey, I just got an email about OU (well, AMCAS) requesting a background check. The email says it's for accepted and/or waitlisted applicants. I don't remember having to submit to a background check the last time I was waitlisted at OU. Anyone know what's going on?

did anybody else get the AAMC background check email today?

did anybody else get the AAMC background check email today?

I did, and I didn't get it the last time I was waitlisted by OU

I know with 99% certainty that it means you're either waitlisted or accepted, but I'm hoping it means accepted :thumbup:

For some schools, they only background-check accepted applicants (to save money, presumably) but some others background-check both accepted and waitlisted applicants. I don't think they do checks on rejected applicants. Why would they?

Last edited:
Come on, can't you read the last post in the topic before you ask that :laugh:

Oh boy. I was working in another tab and forgot to refresh.... silly me. :laugh:

fingers crossed for good news... hopefully by Saturday? Is that putting too much trust in the USPS?

Oh boy. I was working in another tab and forgot to refresh.... silly me. :laugh:

fingers crossed for good news... hopefully by Saturday? Is that putting too much trust in the USPS?

Haha you never know. I think someone else implied that it'll get caught up in "campus mail" for a day or so. If it mails out on Friday and you're in Oklahoma, I'd imagine you'll get it on Saturday.

I don't really know what it means, though. Like I said, I was waitlisted at OU before and they did not background-check me. Of course, maybe they're just ramping up security.

So in other words, we should have received an email regarding a background check from AAMC already if we've been accepted or waitlisted?

Its impossible to say. I wouldn't assume anything other than those who got it were probably accepted or waitlisted. Doesn't mean you weren't, though. Wait until your letter, and good luck!

I got my BRE today! (I live in Oklahoma City.) Interviewed in January. Will definitely be accepting my place in the class! So excited. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

I got my BRE today! (I live in Oklahoma City.) Interviewed in January. Will definitely be accepting my place in the class! So excited. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Congrats Dancepants! Would you mind sharing us some of your stats (MCAT, GPA, etc.)?

So in other words, we should have received an email regarding a background check from AAMC already if we've been accepted or waitlisted?

No. I think the email was only for accepted students. I just got a waitlist letter and I didn't get an email. I'm also in okc.

I just got my acceptance BRE. This is my fifth application with OU, and I can barely contain my excitement :soexcited:

Thanks to all of you for your support. Five years is a long time, but I'm sure it will be worth it!

Status
Not open for further replies.