2010-2011 University of Texas - San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On a relatively frivolous note - to anyone who has interviewed here already this year, if you don't mind, what does the school offer for lunch? :) Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

When I interviewed late august they had turkey and roastbeef sandwiches catered by some deli offsite.

DALee

I am impressed with your story. Can you be kind enough to p.m me some specific for an interest letter. I am from San Antonio and UTHSCSA would be the best school for me. I am also spouse to active duty military physician posted in SA for the next 5 years and I have young children. I would really like to send an interest letter at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
On a relatively frivolous note - to anyone who has interviewed here already this year, if you don't mind, what does the school offer for lunch? :) Thank you.

I was also in late August and deli sandwiches rings a bell...I think. Either that or mexican food but I remember it being decent either way.

turkey+provolone sandwich, roast beef sandwich, veggie sandwich, chicken salad.

also has lay's chips, cookies, and drinks (lemonade, cranberry juice, OJ, water)

I finally got my interview invite! But it is on the same day as a test for biochem. Has anyone successfully rescheduled their interview this year? I don't want to mess with my chances by asking for a reschedule if they haven't been doing them this year.

Is there an interview thread for UTHSCSA?

I finally got my interview invite! But it is on the same day as a test for biochem. Has anyone successfully rescheduled their interview this year? I don't want to mess with my chances by asking for a reschedule if they haven't been doing them this year.

Is there an interview thread for UTHSCSA?

I know someone that rescheduled. But, at least at my school, med school interviews are excused absences.

I interviewed here two week ago, still not on my match list. Weird.

I interviewed here two week ago, still not on my match list. Weird.

It takes a couple of weeks. My last interview was in mid October and it just got added to my list yesterday.

I had no problems rescheduling my interview -- however, my interview was in mid/late September, so it was probably easier to. If I were in your shoes, I would just try. They get back to you within a day. Worst case scenario they won't have any spots open, and you'll just have to prioritize.

Accepted! OOS! Stats are on mdapps. Interviewed back on first interview day in August!

Are you guys sick of my LOI posts yet?

Well---just one more... I had a friend recently send an update letter to Dr. Jones who heard back a week later about an interview for this upcoming Monday... It works!

(this friend interviewed @ UTHSCSA last year & was waitlisted -- improved MCAT & now interviewing again this year)

Best of luck to all of you that are waiting for interviews & to those of you that will hear about pre-matches soon!! :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
DALee, do we send the update email directly to Dr. Jones, or someone else? So nervous with time running out! Thanks for the help.

Are you guys sick of my LOI posts yet?

Well---just one more... I had a friend recently send an update letter to Dr. Jones who heard back a week later about an interview for this upcoming Monday... It works!

(this friend interviewed @ UTHSCSA last year & was waitlisted -- improved MCAT & now interviewing again this year)

Best of luck to all of you that are waiting for interviews & to those of you that will hear about pre-matches soon!! :xf:

What did your friend write in this update letter? I sent one to them in the middle of september about a new MCAT score and I still haven't heard anything from them...

DALee, do we send the update email directly to Dr. Jones, or someone else? So nervous with time running out! Thanks for the help.

E-mail directly to Dr. Jones --- he will usually respond that he received it. I sent mine on 11/11/09 (last year) -- and heard back about an interview a few days later.... You still have time!

Make sure it is a professional e-mail with a professional, focused LOI attached.

Best of luck!

What did your friend write in this update letter? I sent one to them in the middle of september about a new MCAT score and I still haven't heard anything from them...

I didn't read it, but you might consider sending another one if you have done anything new (shadowing, won any awards, volunteered, had any new epiphanies... etc.)... It basically provides you with another chance to get looked at for an interview --- in your last letter, did you only mention your improved MCAT or did you also relate to the admissions committee how you would add diversity to the class? (i.e. I taught high school, worked at a clinic for 8 mos., and completed a 1-year Masters---so I explained several ways how those experiences would allow me to be an asset to the class of 2014)... did you mention how you would fit in at uthscsa & cite specific examples of things that you are looking forward to taking advantage of here?

If not, I would E-MAIL another letter -- feel free to re-state the improved MCAT score -- but a MAJOR stressor at uthscsa is how the students have to be well rounded and be much more than an MCAT (they do not know your mcat at your interview) -- so this should be a minor part of your letter.... emphasize the other aspects of your application.... my classmates all have incredible stories & have done some amazing things / they are planning to do inspiring and amazing things in the medical field... that's why they choose us -- because of those extra activities we have completed..... Just some ideas.... Hope it helps & best of luck.

I would like to send in a letter, but I don't have any updates. :oops: Is it okay to send in a letter of interest just discussing our interest in the school/how our EC's would make us good candidates?

I would like to send in a letter, but I don't have any updates. :oops: Is it okay to send in a letter of interest just discussing our interest in the school/how our EC's would make us good candidates?

definitely.

We got HUGE club sandwiches! They were good. Not as good as UTMB's massive spread of fajitas, rice, guac...but still pretty good! I didn't like Galveston very much, but man I gotta say I was really impressed with how they fed us...I think the food will be the ultimate tiebreaker between Galveston and Tech Lubbock for me, lol

I didn't read it, but you might consider sending another one if you have done anything new (shadowing, won any awards, volunteered, had any new epiphanies... etc.)... It basically provides you with another chance to get looked at for an interview --- in your last letter, did you only mention your improved MCAT or did you also relate to the admissions committee how you would add diversity to the class? (i.e. I taught high school, worked at a clinic for 8 mos., and completed a 1-year Masters---so I explained several ways how those experiences would allow me to be an asset to the class of 2014)... did you mention how you would fit in at uthscsa & cite specific examples of things that you are looking forward to taking advantage of here?

If not, I would E-MAIL another letter -- feel free to re-state the improved MCAT score -- but a MAJOR stressor at uthscsa is how the students have to be well rounded and be much more than an MCAT (they do not know your mcat at your interview) -- so this should be a minor part of your letter.... emphasize the other aspects of your application.... my classmates all have incredible stories & have done some amazing things / they are planning to do inspiring and amazing things in the medical field... that's why they choose us -- because of those extra activities we have completed..... Just some ideas.... Hope it helps & best of luck.

Thanks for the advice DALee. I just sent Dr. Jones an update letter about my recent work/volunteer experiences and how i would add diversity to the medical school.

Im afraid to email him now since everyone on here waiting for an interview invite is going to be sending him an email, therefore he might just start deleting them... but then again if I dont send one now I might not get a chance for an interview.... awwwww man

I interviewed at UTHSCSA on monday. I've gotta say, this med school has got it going on. Great students, facilities, opportunities, research. Basically they've got everything. And, they've managed to maintain a great, cooperative atmosphere at the school of medicine.

I interviewed at UTHSCSA on monday. I've gotta say, this med school has got it going on. Great students, facilities, opportunities, research. Basically they've got everything. And, they've managed to maintain a great, cooperative atmosphere at the school of medicine.

Oh yeah! Non-perfect, well-rounded individuals are considered for interviews at this school. So don't freak out interview hopefuls!

Have December interview invites already been sent out?

:thumbup:
I was there Monday, too. Interview day way awesome. Did you think the hospital/VA area was confusing as hell? I got lost between my 1st and 2nd interview. lol.

Im afraid to email him now since everyone on here waiting for an interview invite is going to be sending him an email, therefore he might just start deleting them... but then again if I dont send one now I might not get a chance for an interview.... awwwww man

hah, same here.

hah, same here.

if you have time, it's very well worth it.... it can't hurt & @thitchcock -- Dr. Jones really does read his e-mails from applicants... :)

whatever you decide, best of luck to you both. :luck:

I'm interviewing on 11/8, which for me is unfortunately also an exam date...I emailed to ask if I could reschedule, and they pretty much said that reschedules are reserved for OOS in November/December; if you're in-state, you pretty much have to take it or leave it :(.

interesting... i had to re-schedule my nov/dec interview last year & they allowed it.... but, the conflict for me i think was another interview.... i ended up re-scheduling to the 2nd to last interview date during finals.... not pretty but hopefully it will all work out for the best!

Woohoo! Got an Interview invite today for 11/22.

GPA: 3.89
MCAT: 31Q
Transmitted: 9/30

Woohoo! Got an Interview invite today for 11/22.

GPA: 3.89
MCAT: 31Q
Transmitted: 9/30

givin me hope! my roommate got accepted (not tx) somewhere last night and my anxiety about this is through the darn roof...
whyyy did i transmit so late?

I am really worried. Non-trad here having taken the mcat 3 times. Highest score is a 29M. cGPA is 3.51 since my masters degree wasnt the best. UGPA 3.61 and science GPA 3.58. I transmitted on the 9/22. I have only interviewed at TCOM. Anyone with similar stats and sametime transmitted get an interview?

I am really worried. Non-trad here having taken the mcat 3 times. Highest score is a 29M. cGPA is 3.51 since my masters degree wasnt the best. UGPA 3.61 and science GPA 3.58. I transmitted on the 9/22. I have only interviewed at TCOM. Anyone with similar stats and sametime transmitted get an interview?

I think the one thing you have going against you is that your Masters gpa wasn't spectacular. For non-trads they are usually looking for an increase in GPA from masters to undergrad. Otherwise, the rest of your application should be ok, assuming your MCAT went up each time you took it and you have good EC's.

I interviewed here yesterday, and have to say I was very impressed. Loved the facilities and the approach to the material (cover the basics but really nail the clinical aspect). Really hoping to match or even better, pre-match.

:thumbup:
I was there Monday, too. Interview day way awesome. Did you think the hospital/VA area was confusing as hell? I got lost between my 1st and 2nd interview. lol.

I interviewed in August, and I too got lost in the hospital maze. I'm sure it is just something you have to get used to.

I am having a hard time finding unique things about any of the texas medical schools. Can someone who already goes here or knows this med school well tell me about a few things that are unique to it i.e. its curriculum or its clinical rotations or something... Please help anyone

does anyone know how many spots that san antonio pre-matches??

Dr Jones told us Monday that thy match 50-70. Given that apparently 33% of their interviewees are accepted, and they have 950 interviewees this year, that could mean that as many as 270 will pre-match.

I am having a hard time finding unique things about any of the texas medical schools. Can someone who already goes here or knows this med school well tell me about a few things that are unique to it i.e. its curriculum or its clinical rotations or something... Please help anyone

lots of lunchtime enrichment electives (global health, business, 3 levels of spanish, homelessness/addiction) , 4 free clinics associated with the school to gain experience, lots of opportunities to travel abroad--haiti, ethiopia, panama, nicaragua--1 & 2nd yrs; india 4th year & probably more (im going to nicaragua over SB), summer research program after 1st year -- paid!, 4 year MD/MPH, MD/PhD (although that's not unique), MD with distinction programs -- research & education...

check out the web-site for more... i dont have time to do more -- 3 tests this week. :)

last year they pre-matched 20% & the other 80% of people came out of the match.... included in the pre-match number is OOS people I believe...

sounds like from the above post, this year they might be pre-matching more & interviewing less ppl... last year they interviewed 1000+ ppl

I just got prematched here around 815 this morning as well!!!!!I still can't stop smiling!!!

good luck to everyone else waiting!!!!! :)

Accepted! Top Choice, and the first email I received! Congrats to any future classmates!

I got a pre-match offer here this morning at 9:23 Eastern time! It was an email.

did you just receive one right now?

This morning, 8:20 Central. I think they send them out by the batch. If I remember from my friends' acceptances last year, they send out a few batches though - including one right before Christmas, so don't worry if you haven't heard!

Status
Not open for further replies.