2022-2023 UC - San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How does waitlist movement work? Will they email people one by one until an unspecified date?

Members don't see this ad.

This is my first time applying. Does anyone know if they have a set date where they reject those that are on the waitlist? I know theres a commit deadline im guessing they cannot keep us waitlisted beyond that date?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we reapply, is there a chance we get an interview again or would they have already written us off?

How does waitlist movement work? Will they email people one by one until an unspecified date?
I think it’s like waves. They email a bunch at once and depending on how many people reject the offer from the waitlist, they email the next set. Not sure if that’s how it works here, but guessing it most probably does.

Reactions: 2 users
8c8a8c4c227a55b449534c459baaf39c.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Schools do send rejection emails right? Or do schools just basically not tell you ever and then you assume you were rejected if you did not hear back by the commit date.

Schools do send rejection emails right? Or do schools just basically not tell you ever and then you assume you were rejected if you did not hear back by the commit date.
I am pretty sure we will get rejection emails eventually, it just might be a while

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no way waitlist movement is done they just started today for all we know its only been 2 people

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!! Sorry I meant if we were waitlisted this year, would we have a chance next year?
I was waitlisted in the 20-21 cycle and got in off the waitlist this year. I took an extra year off to make my app stronger because there’s no way I would’ve strengthened it in like 5-6 months between interview and reapplying.

Reactions: 2 users
I saw a positive comment on here to still have hope. I was wondering if for those who are more experienced with the medical school application process...if waitlists typically end by a certain time? The reading I've done confirms that most schools do inform applicants that the waitlist cycle is over but doesn't give a likely date range.

I saw a positive comment on here to still have hope. I was wondering if for those who are more experienced with the medical school application process...if waitlists typically end by a certain time? The reading I've done confirms that most schools do inform applicants that the waitlist cycle is over but doesn't give a likely date range.
some schools won’t tell you, the silence is ur indication you’ve been rejected. others are nicer and reject u. there is no “date” i’ve heard of schools accepting students a week before orientation. not sure if this is common or rare and not sure if ucsd has done this

This is my first time applying. Does anyone know if they have a set date where they reject those that are on the waitlist? I know theres a commit deadline im guessing they cannot keep us waitlisted beyond that date?
I think I remember something like it running until classes start or a week before classes start

On 6/7/22 for the 2021-22 cycle, Brian sent out an email telling us that their class is full and that the chance of getting off the WL was <1%. That was the only “rejection” email we got.

• Sad
I feel like we are all jumping the gun by assuming that the waitlist movement is over. The reality is that none of us truly know what is going on. I know we are all hoping and praying the waitlist movement continues. Everything is going to be okay! We all got this!

Reactions: 10 users
Agreed! We got this! I did email Brian this morning but no response yet so I'll keep yall posted on any waitlist updates

Reactions: 12 users
The number of members in the facebook group went up to 216, but it still says no new members have been added to the group. I would think if it was a big wave we'd see at least some new members added

The number of members in the facebook group went up to 216, but it still says no new members have been added to the group. I would think if it was a big wave we'd see at least some new members added
on the mobile app it better reflects the new members that join, which is four new members in the last week.

seems like waitlist movement might be minimal now... it was nice stressing alongside all ya'll. So long partner... looks like I'll be moving to Detroit

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users
seems like waitlist movement might be minimal now... it was nice stressing alongside all ya'll. So long partner... looks like I'll be moving to Detroit
We knew this was a possibility going in. It has been an honor and a privilege to die on this waitlist with you little raisin. Godspeed

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Goodluck to everyone! We are all going to become bad ass doctors wherever we end up. We made it this far so we should at least be proud of that!

Reactions: 1 users
Was it confirmed that WL movement is done?
Thats a good question lol. Theres been waitlist movement today on various waitlist support threads. THat being said, I am starting to move forward with much of my paperwork for my accepted schools...but not gonna give up completely until Brian Zeglen sends me an email (which I saw on old threads that he does tend to send) . I think its important for those who have acceptances to start moving forward and preparing to possibly move to go to wherever these schools are and it not being here in SD.

I dont think anyone really knows when its done makdaddyncheese, but either way its kinda like being in limbo. Best advice I got from my loved ones who knew how badly I wanted to go here was to just move forward with my other acceptances and if I hear good news from here...then hooray...but if i don't then atleast I didn't fall behind.

Good luck everyone tho. Wouldn't be surprised if someone (1 or two or three) in this thread gets off this week. Definitely not impossible. Good luck everyone!!

Thats a good question lol. Theres been waitlist movement today on various waitlist support threads. THat being said, I am starting to move forward with much of my paperwork for my accepted schools...but not gonna give up completely until Brian Zeglen sends me an email (which I saw on old threads that he does tend to send) . I think its important for those who have acceptances to start moving forward and preparing to possibly move to go to wherever these schools are and it not being here in SD.

I dont think anyone really knows when its done makdaddyncheese, but either way its kinda like being in limbo. Best advice I got from my loved ones who knew how badly I wanted to go here was to just move forward with my other acceptances and if I hear good news from here...then hooray...but if i don't then atleast I didn't fall behind.

Good luck everyone tho. Wouldn't be surprised if someone (1 or two or three) in this thread gets off this week. Definitely not impossible. Good luck everyone!!
This is exactly how I am handling it! I’m getting all of my paperwork and medical tests done while planning for my other acceptance. I think moving forward is the best choice and then if we get off the WL, then we get off!

Reactions: 4 users
To be fair, a few of my accepted groups on facebook got +7 and a lot of them were M4's selling their furniture cause they are leaving for residency. And on another some financial aid people and people who have rooms for rent that are like M2 and M3. Can't say its forsure the case for the UCSD page, but just another perspective
up to 224 +10 in the last week