2010-2011 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys. to those recently accepted on may 26th: i paid the $100 deposit/enrollment fee five days ago and now on my VCU portal i have a VCU eID, VCU card number, and banner ID, but my VCU email says "unavailable" - anyone else in this same boat? maybe it takes longer to assign an email address? also, has anyone not filled out their financial aid yet?

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys. to those recently accepted on may 26th: i paid the $100 deposit/enrollment fee five days ago and now on my VCU portal i have a VCU eID, VCU card number, and banner ID, but my VCU email says "unavailable" - anyone else in this same boat? maybe it takes longer to assign an email address? also, has anyone not filled out their financial aid yet?

Mine is the same as yours... no email yet. It's not added all at once, I think it was my banner ID that showed up 2 days before the rest so give it a couple more days for the email.

About to submit my Needaccess today. Stupid $28 fee...

Anybody aware of this part of the website for accepted students? I stumbled upon it myself, I don't think there was a link anywhere on the status page.
http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/admissions/md/orientation/matriculation/index.html

Anyone know if we are being held accountable for the things listed here that are not listed on the status page? For example there's a HIPAA training thing we're supposed to do before orientation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. WC said the same to me about getting to my IS ranking last year, so that means good news for us bc the waitlist moved really slowly last year due to UVA's over-acceptance

That sounds promising. When I emailed her, though, I didn't tell her I am IS. Hopefully, she was able to figure that out through my AAMC ID?

I've been trying to do some research about getting a one bedroom apt. in Richmond, I'm female, is Churchill and the Shockoe Bottom/slip areas considered safe? Do a lot of med students live in these areas?
I ask because I'm OOS and the few people I know from Richmond are kind of trying to steer me away from these areas saying they are "rough" areas.

Nessy- not sure if you're intent on a single, but I have a girl friend thats looking for a roommate in Shockoe Bottom as well, if youre interested, pm me and Ill send on her info

I've been trying to do some research about getting a one bedroom apt. in Richmond, I'm female, is Churchill and the Shockoe Bottom/slip areas considered safe? Do a lot of med students live in these areas?
I ask because I'm OOS and the few people I know from Richmond are kind of trying to steer me away from these areas saying they are "rough" areas.

It really depends on where you're from. A person's consideration of what's "safe" or "rough" is very relative. A couple years ago, Shockoe Bottom and Churchill used to be really dangerous, but not so much anymore. It has gone through a big revival where a lot of people live there b/c they're either working at MCV, studying at the medical campus, or want easy access to the clubs. If you want something close, Shockoe Bottom should be just fine, but it definitely is more expensive. Churchill definitely is the cheapest. It has some bad parts and nice parts to it (North side or South side respectively). I run through Churchill in the middle of the night with no problem. You see the occasional drug addicts but they're chill. And a lot of teachers are now moving into the Churchill area; so it's a lot better now. I have never been scared of the people in either area during the day or late night. There's usually plenty of people and cars going around. But again, some of my friend's freak out when they walk in the area. Really depends on what you want.

It really depends on where you're from. A person's consideration of what's "safe" or "rough" is very relative. A couple years ago, Shockoe Bottom and Churchill used to be really dangerous, but not so much anymore. It has gone through a big revival where a lot of people live there b/c they're either working at MCV, studying at the medical campus, or want easy access to the clubs. If you want something close, Shockoe Bottom should be just fine, but it definitely is more expensive. Churchill definitely is the cheapest. It has some bad parts and nice parts to it (North side or South side respectively). I run through Churchill in the middle of the night with no problem. You see the occasional drug addicts but they're chill. And a lot of teachers are now moving into the Churchill area; so it's a lot better now. I have never been scared of the people in either area during the day or late night. There's usually plenty of people and cars going around. But again, some of my friend's freak out when they walk in the area. Really depends on what you want.

Thanks for the input everyone, I got a single place in Shockoe Bottom, I just fell in love with this area.:love:
I have heard that there is a shuttle from Shockoe Bottom somewhere around 17th and east Broad St., but I can't find any info on this? I'm not referring to the GRTC, but some specific shuttle for students. Thanks in advance if anyone knows about this and can share.:thumbup:

Thanks for the input everyone, I got a single place in Shockoe Bottom, I just fell in love with this area.:love:
I have heard that there is a shuttle from Shockoe Bottom somewhere around 17th and east Broad St., but I can't find any info on this? I'm not referring to the GRTC, but some specific shuttle for students. Thanks in advance if anyone knows about this and can share.:thumbup:

You are talking about the shuttle that leaves the A parking lot. There used to be one at the C parking lot, but that parking lot is gone now.

Also, if anyone needs an apartment, I currently have one that I'm moving out of in the beginning of July and have until Aug. 3. You are able to sublet it or continue the lease if you want.

Just withdrew my acceptance. OOS. Keep the faith you guys!

Anybody aware of this part of the website for accepted students? I stumbled upon it myself, I don't think there was a link anywhere on the status page.
http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/admissions/md/orientation/matriculation/index.html

Anyone know if we are being held accountable for the things listed here that are not listed on the status page? For example there's a HIPAA training thing we're supposed to do before orientation.

Yeah, I think so. I don't think the HIPAA training course is up yet on Blackboard, though, or at least I'm not enrolled in it.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those accepted, what were your stats? I'm an undergrad and this is one of my top schools I want to apply to

Im assuming you are coming from VCU undergrad. You should try to get into the automatic acceptance program. If not, you need better than average stats to get into MCV from VCU. Thus shoot for greater than a 3.6/29

Im assuming you are coming from VCU undergrad. You should try to get into the automatic acceptance program. If not, you need better than average stats to get into MCV from VCU. Thus shoot for greater than a 3.6/29

I never really had an interest in the Honors College there. The extra amount of work you had to do never really seemed to compare with the benefits. Okay, 3.6/29 sounds reasonable.

Another Q: Since it is a research heavy school, do they expect a lot of research experience prior to matriculating? If so, how would I go about getting a research position (I'm actually very interested, but if it isn't a burning requirement, Im putting my pursuit of it on the back burner)

anyone hear any good news lately? come on oos waitlist... :xf::xf:

Mine is the same as yours... no email yet. It's not added all at once, I think it was my banner ID that showed up 2 days before the rest so give it a couple more days for the email.

About to submit my Needaccess today. Stupid $28 fee...

I don't know if you guys are still wondering about the e-mail situation but you have to set it up yourself before it becomes available. If you go to the my VCU portal you will see links to the e-mail on the left and you can set your e-mail up through there.

my vcu email is working, but it still says unavailable on my file status page... strange. i really don't like the fact that they chose my email for me because i hate having numbers in my email addresses.

Another Q: Since it is a research heavy school, do they expect a lot of research experience prior to matriculating? If so, how would I go about getting a research position (I'm actually very interested, but if it isn't a burning requirement, Im putting my pursuit of it on the back burner)

MCV really isn't that research heavy compared to many other med schools (it is middle of the road), but does have it if you want to do it. Research will always be a nice feather in your cap for both med school and residency applications.

If you want a research position... I have no idea. I basically asked a family friend and from there I made contacts.

On a lighter note, I feel like I'm spinning the wheel on Wheel of Fortune. It's still spinning and I'm yelling, "come on big money !"

But seriously, I will continue to hope and pray for a seat till August. hopefully though the waitlist starts moving again... please oh please start moving again.

I emailed Dr. WC. She said the lists are moving very slowly now, even though she was more hopeful in her last reply about a month ago. hmmm, let's see.

I emailed Dr. WC. She said the lists are moving very slowly now, even though she was more hopeful in her last reply about a month ago. hmmm, let's see.

i almost feel like the same thing was said last year this time but eventually ppl were let in.. what do you think?

I just got off the waitlist at another school and will be taking it. I'll be withdrawing as soon as I receive the official acceptance package. Hope my acceptance goes to one of you!

i almost feel like the same thing was said last year this time but eventually ppl were let in.. what do you think?

I think so too, but I don't want to give myself much hope and then be let down. I'm submitting some post-bacc/master's applications this week. Don't know if I even need those programs though. My academic record is alright; it's the MCAT that I need to work on. However, I have been out of school for a year already and I don't want to be out of school for another.

I just got off the waitlist at another school and will be taking it. I'll be withdrawing as soon as I receive the official acceptance package. Hope my acceptance goes to one of you!

Congratulations ssdk, and thanks for being considerate. IS or OOS?

So I was just wondering... Are we allowed to fill out FAFSA or any other financial aid applications even before getting accepted anywhere? If not, then how do people who get accepted at the last minute pay their tuition?

So I was just wondering... Are we allowed to fill out FAFSA or any other financial aid applications even before getting accepted anywhere? If not, then how do people who get accepted at the last minute pay their tuition?

Yes Max, you should fill out your FAFSA and include school codes for any schools where you feel like you might still have a chance of being accepted at.

Any current students have suggestions/advice on what books we should buy for M1 and what on the "required booklist" isn't actually necessary? I hear Rohen's/Grants for anatomy (which do most ppl get?), Castanzo's physiology, the FCM bates book, the neuroscience book and the immunology book is pretty much all you need. Thoughts?

They make the "required list" longer than actually required so that ROTC/Army will pay for them.

The Immunology book may or may not be useful. I wouldn't get it just yet unless you get a steal on Amazon or something.

For anatomy I hated grants. I used Netters and Rohens. Definitely get Rohen and figure out which between Netters and Grants you like

Costanzo's Phys or BRS phys (also by constanzo). You will definitely need BRS for boards. The Big Costanzo phys is good for class.

Bates is a must. The Nuero atlas is also a must.

They make the "required list" longer than actually required so that ROTC/Army will pay for them.

The Immunology book may or may not be useful. I wouldn't get it just yet unless you get a steal on Amazon or something.

For anatomy I hated grants. I used Netters and Rohens. Definitely get Rohen and figure out which between Netters and Grants you like

Costanzo's Phys or BRS phys (also by constanzo). You will definitely need BRS for boards. The Big Costanzo phys is good for class.

Bates is a must. The Nuero atlas is also a must.

Thanks Instatewaiter!

I used to live in Churchill for a few years. As long as you are below Broad Street, I think you are "safe", and churchill tends to be much quieter that shockoe. In fact, I have a townhouse for rent there.
1,350 sq. ft., 3-bedroom, 2.5 bath located at 25th street and East Franklin Street. Close to MCV/VCU. It is a very quiet and safe area, within walking distance to a grocery store and CVS.

-Hardwood floors throughout
-Kitchen with central island
-Small dining area and large living room
- 15 min walk to VCU, with a bus stop 3 blocks away
-Cable and wireless internet already established
-Washer/dryer in basement
-Central A/C and heat pump - replaced 1 year ago
-Working wood fireplace
-Small fenced-in back area
-Spacious attic for storage
-One designated parking lot space but street parking never a problem
-Monthly cleaning service free of charge
-Outdoor maintenance taken care of by homeowner association

-$1500 per month includes cleaning service and water/trash. Only pay for electricity and cable.
If interested, email [email protected]

Just Accepted! I don't know anything about Richmond.. and clearly I have to be there in a couple weeks. Any suggestions on where to live?

Just Accepted! I don't know anything about Richmond.. and clearly I have to be there in a couple weeks. Any suggestions on where to live?

Congrats!! Any chance that means you are withdrawing at another VA school? I'm just wondering if the WLs at the other VA schools will start to move... one withdrawal seems to start the domino effect...

Congrats!! Any chance that means you are withdrawing at another VA school? I'm just wondering if the WLs at the other VA schools will start to move... one withdrawal seems to start the domino effect...

Nope sorry. Waitlisted at other schools but none in VA. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.