2011-2012 Creighton Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those who have received interviews AND those who have application "updates" but no interview invites, please post stats: cGPA/sGPA, MCAT, Instate/oos.

Thanks much and good luck everyone,

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Those who have received interviews AND those who have application "updates" but no interview invites, please post stats: cGPA/sGPA, MCAT, Instate/oos.

"updates" but no II: 3.75 sGPA and cGPA, 33Q, OOS

Interview 9/2. All packed and ready for my 9am flight. To answer your question my stats are again are MCAT 30 (9,11,10) GPA 3.92 total; 3.98 AO; 3.87 BCPM

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview was awesome and a very good experience. I highly recommend staying with the hosting program. I was very impressed with the school and would love to go here. I guess it is a waiting game now.

did anyone else get a second complete email after a month of receiving the first complete email?

would any current students care to talk a bit about Creighton? some pros and cons?

The interview was awesome and a very good experience. I highly recommend staying with the hosting program. I was very impressed with the school and would love to go here. I guess it is a waiting game now.

I would like to echo this sentiment; Creighton was amazing. The hospital, campus, students, and faculty were fantastic. Their match list is extremely impressive as well! I have my fingers crossed for this one :xf:.

did anyone else get a second complete email after a month of receiving the first complete email?

I received a complete email about 3 weeks after. I figured it was because I had emailed them asking if my application was complete. Man this waiting is killing me.

I would like to echo this sentiment; Creighton was amazing. The hospital, campus, students, and faculty were fantastic. Their match list is extremely impressive as well! I have my fingers crossed for this one :xf:.

so you think the "creighton family" thing is real? not that I think its all out fake or false but i feel like a lot of schools talk about their students like that. Are the students really that much better than other places?

so you think the "creighton family" thing is real? not that I think its all out fake or false but i feel like a lot of schools talk about their students like that. Are the students really that much better than other places?

I heard the students are very happy at creighton.

It is definitely real. It was almost tangible at the school, and it is the biggest draw for me to Creighton. As it compares to other schools, well, this is the only interview I have attended thus far, so I can't comment just yet.

I heard the students are very happy at creighton.

They certainly seemed it, and I'm not just talking about our tour guides who were expected to be happy, I'm talking about the randoms I would see hours after my interview studying together. Everyone was pretty chipper, and they were also very kind to me.

Hey all.

Is anyone else out there have problems accessing the Creighton med school website? I've tried connecting through Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer, but no dice. Wondering if there is a problem on their end? :(

Creighton family is very real, btw had a great time hanging out steve

Members don't see this ad :)
:( :(
they reviewed my app again for the 2nd time but still no II
super sad face :(

So is Creighton the silent reject type? Will we just see update dates forever after with no status change?

It is definitely real. It was almost tangible at the school, and it is the biggest draw for me to Creighton. As it compares to other schools, well, this is the only interview I have attended thus far, so I can't comment just yet.

They certainly seemed it, and I'm not just talking about our tour guides who were expected to be happy, I'm talking about the randoms I would see hours after my interview studying together. Everyone was pretty chipper, and they were also very kind to me.

I second everything you said. I can't compare to other schools, either, but everyone there is extremely friendly and willing to help everyone else. Plus, almost all of the faculty members have open door policy. It seems like they want to be available to help students as much as possible and they really go above and beyond.

My last update was 7/15. Anyone else in my shoes? I haven't heard a peep from them.

My last update was 7/15. Anyone else in my shoes? I haven't heard a peep from them.

Mine was 7/27 and haven't heard a thing. Well just like everywhere else, patience is key. Hopefully next update= II.

my last one was 8/3 (on the website) and then i got a second complete email like last week...and still no movement..

I took a peek at last year's Creighton thread and there were lots of people who were complete in late July/early August and receiving interview invites still in October (and possibly later, but I didn't look that far in the thread). Someone also posted that you'll be notified of a rejection, but not a hold. I was complete in late July, and my app has been "updated" a few times since then, the last one being on 9/5. Not much specific information, but it's at least encouraging, and those of us with "updates" but no invites may still be in the running.

Updated yesterday as well but no news on whether it actually means anything.

Received an interview invite today. The available dates were sept 30 and October 8. I was complete around 9/1

Interview invite, complete late August.

Looked at the secondary just for memories.....
...a splendid amount of grammatical errors were found.

Guess they only care about content....

App. updated today but no word of any type. A mystery just like every other part of this process.

Hmmmmm ... That could be good news since my previous update is 9-13-11

My last update was 7/25/11 - No II here!:confused:
----------------------------------------------
Thank you for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine. Your secondary application is complete and is ready to be reviewed for interview purposes. Please note that the review process takes a while to complete due to the large volume of applications Creighton receives each year. If you have questions about the process please contact the Office of Medical Admissions at 800-325-4405 or [email protected].

• Term: Fall 2012
  • Application Status: Application Submitted On 07/06/2011
  • Created Date: 6/23/2011 8:54:54 PM
  • Last Updated Date: 7/25/2011 8:08:46 AM

Received another updated date today, 9/16 in the morning.

Thank you for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine. Your secondary application is complete and is ready to be reviewed for interview purposes. Please note that the review process takes a while to complete due to the large volume of applications Creighton receives each year. If you have questions about the process please contact the Office of Medical Admissions at 800-325-4405 or [email protected].

hrm at least they're consistent with their weirdness haha

Term: Fall 2012
Application Status: Application Submitted On 07/25/2011
Created Date: 7/1/2011
Last Updated Date: 7/28/2011

OOS/ - No Interview Here Either (not that I am expecting to be at the top of the list)

Last edited:
Hey guys just wanted to say good luck on the app cycle this year. I'm an M1 here and absolutely love it.

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM.

-Thorn

I dreamed last night I received an interview invite via email. I woke up and nothing :( . Thought for sure it was meant to be today.

Well at least your guy's applications are being re-reviewed. Mine was reviewed once on 7/22 and hasn't been looked at since. :(

been having that nightmare all summer

LOL. Relax guys. I interviewed at Creighton, and the people interviewing were very diverse, in background, stats, and strengths. Creighton may be bit quirky, but the medical school impressed me immensely. So you guys are all in the running. I remember Dean Quinn saying they accept 65% of interviewees and interview quite a number of people. It's still way early in the cycle.

One thing that really stuck out to me (big turn off for me) was the lack of diversity. I grew up with a lot of diversity, so I'm used to it and I embrace it. Luckily, you can spend your 3rd and 4th years at a top 100 hospital in Phoenix, AZ, if you care about that at all.

Overall great school. Average board scores, but they have many resources to help you prepare and succeed. The professors and staff REALLY care about their students. No MD/PHD program, I believe, but they are working on that.

One thing that really stuck out to me (big turn off for me) was the lack of diversity. I grew up with a lot of diversity, so I'm used to it and I embrace it. Luckily, you can spend your 3rd and 4th years at a top 100 hospital in Phoenix, AZ, if you care about that at all.

This wasn't really a huge turn-off for me but I noticed the same thing. Every single student I saw was either white or Asian. Though, they did do a lot of work in the Omaha community, which apparently has an oddly-large amount of refugee and immigrant groups. So, even if your class isn't that diverse it doesn't mean you won't be working with a diverse group of patients.

This wasn't really a huge turn-off for me but I noticed the same thing. Every single student I saw was either white or Asian. Though, they did do a lot of work in the Omaha community, which apparently has an oddly-large amount of refugee and immigrant groups. So, even if your class isn't that diverse it doesn't mean you won't be working with a diverse group of patients.

Haha, I was referring to the population outside of Creighton U, although the same applies to inside CU as well upon reflection. It's funny, because a few medical students noted the same thing, so I know I'm not crazy.

In case anyone is worried, Creighton is known to be very tolerant and accepting; it's a characteristic they are proud of, and rightfully so. The M1 - M4s I spoke to were very nice and chill.

I heard the interview starts in one spot and ends in another - can anyone tell me where start vs ending location is?

I heard the interview starts in one spot and ends in another - can anyone tell me where start vs ending location is?

Last year, it started in The Harper Building (interviews, introductory materials)
I believe that it ended in the Criss Science Building. I went to creighton for undergrad, cool place, no discrimination (unless you went there for undergrad... jk they are nice people) based on religion, safe sex/condoms, or other silly items

I applied to Creighton last year but didn't get an interview. Do you know if they look at last year's secondary? The topics I woke about in that secondary, I think, were the best ones for those questions. However, if they look at previous apps, I don't want to write about the same thing...

I applied last year too, I'm rewriting the secondary questions. Same/similar answer, different essays. Only thing really different in my application is that I have graduated and have 8 semesters worth of grades, and two, I actually did not flub up my activities section for my primary application...woops :)

App complete 7/22. No updates since...hoping for II soon!
:luck: to everyone interviewing

interviewing 10/08 (a saturday)

31Q, 3.78c/3.71s, IS (lincoln...driving there morning of interview)

my timeline--
AMCAS primary processed: 06/17
secondary recieved: 07/01
secondary sent/payment processed: 08/03 (yes, I know it took a month...:laugh:)
confirmed as complete: 08/09
interview invite: 08/17

btw, in case anybody's wondering, I believe that although the numbers in the MSAR indicate that most of the matriculants are OOS, they actually offer interviews to most of IS applicants who meet their criteria with respect to the numbers...it's just that most of those IS applicants don't end up attending mostly b/c of the cost...just my impression, and I may be wrong, can't say for sure...

some questions about the school for those who may know the answer(s):
- Are lectures mandatory? Are they video recorded? If not, are they recorded in any other way?
- Is there a dress code on campus grounds?
- If you are a current med student (or just live near Creighton), where would you recommend living, and how much would it cost (just rent)? I assume it's pretty similar to Lincoln...
- Soccer club/ways to play soccer? Any nearby lakes for fishing? How about grounds for camping? I know I could look at a map but I just want to get real-person perspective...
- If you are a current med student, how are you paying/planning to pay for the cost, other than the loans? If just loans, then have you thought about how best to pay it back?
- How conducive is Creighton's environment to students with families?
- How long does it take Creighton to make a decision? If not soon after the interview, when do they start making decisions?
- Research opportunities? Paid fellowships? If so, how selective are they?

I'm sure most/all of these questions have been answered before but I'm too lazy to delve into the vast depths of endless posts...thanks in advance, and good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Is Creighton receptive to pre-interview update letters?

Status
Not open for further replies.